PDA

View Full Version : Steve Johnson starting No. 2 WR at Mandatory OTAs

BillsWin
06-23-2010, 02:09 PM
With a healthy Hardy on board.

Per Buffalo News, per rotoworld, per BBMB.

Jaybird
06-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Interesting....

ddaryl
06-23-2010, 02:14 PM
With a healthy Hardy on board.

Per Buffalo News, per rotoworld, per BBMB.

but but all of us Steve supporters were idiots cause the guy has never done nothing....

I'm not surprised at all .... Now can he keep it and produce ?

madness
06-23-2010, 02:17 PM
You need to post this in the "I hope Steve Johnson fails" thread!

ddaryl
06-23-2010, 02:22 PM
You need to post this in the "I hope Steve Johnson fails" thread!

that had to be one of the saddest threads of all time....

BillsWin
06-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Never read that thread.

OpIv37
06-23-2010, 02:36 PM
So much for that argument about the current coaching staff believing in Parrish...

BillsWin
06-23-2010, 02:41 PM
So much for that argument about the current coaching staff believing in Parrish...

Parrish plays slot.

Johnson lined up as the No. 2 on the outside.

While I think Parrish is a waste of a roster spot, I don't see how Johnson lining up as the No. 2 receiver effects Parrish and the coaching staff's thoughts on him.

EDS
06-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Someone has to be the number 2 guy right? Can't really say this is news since the competition is only Hardy and Easley who are equally unproven.

I just hope one of the three can emerge as a reliable option and that Chan can figure out a way to utilize Parrish in the slot.

justasportsfan
06-23-2010, 02:54 PM
I don't think anything is set in stone yet. Too early to say who's going to be no.2 ,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,... wr.

Philagape
06-23-2010, 02:59 PM

So much for their second-round pick in 2008 :ill:

WeAreArthurMoates
06-23-2010, 03:01 PM
I agree nothing is set in stone, he's rotating wr's like qb's. To me, Hardy has made more plays. Frankly I want Hardy as the 2 and Stevie as the 3.

ddaryl
06-23-2010, 03:04 PM
I agree we need to get through camp before we can really see what we have at any position, but Steve being there is really not surprising to me.

Throne Logic
06-23-2010, 03:17 PM
This is good thing. It means Steve has shown enough that the coaches want to see what it looks like with him running in the #2 slot. Doesn't mean he stays there, but it implies they like what he's shown them.

HHURRICANE
06-23-2010, 03:34 PM

This might be the worst drafting team in the last 10 years.

Hardy was so bad running routes when I saw him in live action so I'm not shocked. He's another Everett.

trapezeus
06-23-2010, 03:34 PM
So brohm was unseeded by a number 7, hardy is potentially unseeded by a number 7.

I think hardy is bust central. i question his heart to know the game and learn the game. we didn't see much from him last year, but he supposedly said all the right things. I just have a hunch that he isn't going to amount to anything. he's a part of that awful 2008 draft class.

Johnson struck me as a hard worker at first and a hungry player ready to prove he can play so he can make the big bucks. but it didn't help that he was tweeting from the practice room at the end of last season...but to his defense it sounds like everyone checked out by the end there.

homeslice5484
06-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Been saying he deserved a shot since he was drafted and was blasted for it.

HHURRICANE
06-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Been saying he deserved a shot since he was drafted and was blasted for it.

In fairness Johnson looked good at the end of 2008 but in 2009 he looked like he had regressed.

I still think Easley will win the #2 spot when all is said and done.

BillsWin
06-23-2010, 03:44 PM
In fairness Johnson looked good at the end of 2008 but in 2009 he looked like he had regressed.

I actually agree with this post.

Except, I don't think Easley should be starting RIGHT away, but I think he will eventually take over.

Ron Burgundy
06-23-2010, 03:44 PM

That's the real ***** of things, isn't it? ****ing Indiana wideouts.

homeslice5484
06-23-2010, 03:45 PM
i dont see how he could regress if he never played since we barely used more than 2 WR's so I guess we don't know what happened in 2009.

madness
06-23-2010, 03:53 PM
It's still too early to count out Hardy.

Dr. Pepper
06-23-2010, 03:57 PM
but but all of us Steve supporters were idiots cause the guy has never done nothing....

I'm not sold on johnson and dont understand the love fest for him (though id love for him to succeed). Is starting over Hardy really a big surprise? Unless Hardy somehow/someway puts everything together, he's just another swing and miss by skeletor and his crew.

Night Train
06-23-2010, 04:09 PM
What if Hardy comes in on 3rd down plays or in the red zone packages to use his obvious height & leaping ability ? Then is he an asset ?

Dr. Pepper
06-23-2010, 04:42 PM
What if Hardy comes in on 3rd down plays or in the red zone packages to use his obvious height & leaping ability ? Then is he an asset ?

i guess it would depend on how many first downs and TDs he gets.... he could come in on third downs and in the red zone and never catch a ball.

ddaryl
06-23-2010, 04:44 PM

Coaching regressed the whole team.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Although hardy will be considered a bust, and only a number 4 or 5, he can still be very valuable as a goal line jump ball threat!

ParanoidAndroid
06-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Coaching regressed the whole team.

I was gonna say.... Everybody on the team regressed except for the secondary, and of course, the rookies.

JCBills
06-23-2010, 07:13 PM

You can't blame him for not doing anything last season, limited snaps in the same offense that couldn't get the ball to Evans and Owens...wouldn't be fair to knock Johnson for last season.

So far, I'm not sure Hardy is NFL tough, almost the same way I see Bell. In Johnson's limited time he's shown he knows how to use his body to shield off a defender from an incoming pass. I think he did it on both TDs as a rookie. We haven't had a WR with that ability since Moulds, and I think it's something that could help Stevie catch a lot of balls (eventually) either out of the slot or as the #2. Easley has the speed you want on the outside, so he probably will eventually be the #2, not so sure about winning it before the season starts though. Either way we have young talent that is going to get a look in a new offense.

better days
06-23-2010, 07:28 PM
This might be the worst drafting team in the last 10 years.

Hardy was so bad running routes when I saw him in live action so I'm not shocked. He's another Everett.

You are right about the previous 8 years, but they have drafted pretty well the last 2 years...........since Buddy came back to Buffalo.

It will be interesting to see how S.D.'s draft this year & in the future are without Nix's input.

k-oneputt
06-23-2010, 07:39 PM
So much for some still trying to fiqure out where the receivers line up.

and the big-10 players we have drafted are all way overrated or flat out suck.

justasportsfan
06-23-2010, 08:30 PM
So brohm was unseeded by a number 7, hardy is potentially unseeded by a number 7.

I think hardy is bust central. i question his heart to know the game and learn the game. we didn't see much from him last year, but he supposedly said all the right things. I just have a hunch that he isn't going to amount to anything. he's a part of that awful 2008 draft class.

Johnson struck me as a hard worker at first and a hungry player ready to prove he can play so he can make the big bucks. but it didn't help that he was tweeting from the practice room at the end of last season...but to his defense it sounds like everyone checked out by the end there.

Hardy is a bust because TO was in front of him but Steve couldn't take Reeds job?

Hardy may very well be a bust but how you got there especially using Steve doesn't make sense. Hardy could very well be just as hungry and works just as hard.

Griff
06-23-2010, 08:37 PM

um its not even preseason yet, how about you pat yourselves on the back when he has 50 catches for 500 yards and 5 TDs.

YardRat
06-23-2010, 09:17 PM
So brohm was unseeded by a number 7,

For a minute there, and before searching, I thought I missed something regarding Brown jumping Brohm on a depth chart.

Does it really matter what happened in Green Bay?

bigbub2352
06-23-2010, 09:44 PM
shows how bad the regime was at evaluating top round talent....they actually did better drafting later that they did early

butler
bell
corner
nelson
lankster
johnson
etc..

i hope we use hardy in shortyardage pass plays and redzone like he should have been used his rookie year not tryign to run 40yds down feild half the time

i think evans easley hardy johnson parrish jackson make the roster

and roosevelt and nelson get a shot with the PS but all could change when the pads go on

Mr. Pink
06-23-2010, 10:22 PM
We will without a doubt have the worst WR corps in the NFL.

But that's OK when you have an O-line who can't block and a QB who can't throw.

Jan Reimers
06-24-2010, 06:38 AM
Hey guys, it's June. It's way too early to get too excited about who is playing 2nd receiver in the Bills' first mandatory mini-camp practice.

DraftBoy
06-24-2010, 07:19 AM
Im going to say this now, but don't sleep on Chad Jackson. He's finally 100% healthy and is making plays in practice. This kid has as much talent as Lee Evans and if he finally puts it all together then watch out.

ddaryl
06-24-2010, 07:24 AM
um its not even preseason yet, how about you pat yourselves on the back when he has 50 catches for 500 yards and 5 TDs.

How about you realize that many of us saw some potential in Steve and are just not surprised he is the #2 this early.

and if you bothered to read my entire post you would see I questioned wether he could hold it and produce....

For me I'm jst not surprised, but maybe you'll get your wish and he will fail and that will make you a happy person.

ZAZusmc03
06-24-2010, 08:10 AM
Im going to say this now, but don't sleep on Chad Jackson. He's finally 100% healthy and is making plays in practice. This kid has as much talent as Lee Evans and if he finally puts it all together then watch out.

Being that my wife and I are big-time gators fans, I've actually been trying to keep an eye out for any mention of him during the OTA's. From what it sounds like, He is doing farely well. And the way he performed in college, the guy has all the tools, he just needs to fit everything together. I would love to see him find his niche in our offense.

Philagape
06-24-2010, 08:39 AM

Then they will have spent a second-round pick on a part-time player.

acehole
06-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Good for him he deserves it.

I bet they end up rotating them anyway.

OpIv37
06-24-2010, 09:07 AM
Parrish plays slot.

Johnson lined up as the No. 2 on the outside.

While I think Parrish is a waste of a roster spot, I don't see how Johnson lining up as the No. 2 receiver effects Parrish and the coaching staff's thoughts on him.

You missed the point.

In another thread, I was arguing about Parrish with another poster and he said that the coaching staff showed confidence in Parrish by keeping him over Josh Reed.

But the reality is that Parrish is still under contract and Reed wasn't, so they didn't have to do anything to keep him. Now, they're letting Steve Johnson play #2 WR over him, so there is no way to argue that the coaching staff has confidence in Parrish.

And Parrish was the #2 WR in 2008 when we had a couple of injuries, so he's played that role a lot more than Johnson has.

k-oneputt
06-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Parrish is playing in the slot, Johnson is split outside playing opposite of Evans.
Johnson and Parrish, as of now , are not even playing the same wr position.

As for your boy Reed, if they really wanted him back they could have offered him a contract and he probably would have taken it since no one was beating down his door.

madness
06-24-2010, 01:25 PM
:evil:

More praise for receiving corps
Last week Trent Edwards had some high praise for the team’s young receiving corps saying it was the best young group of wideouts he’s ever seen. On Thursday Fitzpatrick echoed those sentiments.
“The receivers have been real sharp this offseason,” said Fitzpatrick. “I think that’s been a big positive. People have a lot of questions from outside the organization saying, ‘We have <nobr>Lee Evanshttp://www.buffalobills.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/lee-evans/baad07e0-362a-498a-a88c-1b4a50e28616/)</nobr> and who else?’ Roscoe has really shown up this offseason. <nobr>Steve Johnsonhttp://www.buffalobills.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/steve-johnson/5ba06129-bba4-45ff-ba53-7ea81833517c/)</nobr> has been a guy that’s played great. James is really starting to come along and get more confident. And the four young guys we’ve brought in, you’re going to see in the preseason those guys are going to make some plays. All four of them bring different things to the table and they’re all very talented.”
Fitzpatrick is referring to fourth-round pick <nobr>Marcus Easleyhttp://www.buffalobills.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/marcus-easley/fe28554e-6a2c-4c1c-ba77-6cdc06467c7b/)</nobr> and rookie free agents <nobr>Donald Joneshttp://www.buffalobills.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/donald-jones/a6e4b834-8b38-4869-9d85-defe1d295169/)</nobr>, <nobr>David Nelsonhttp://www.buffalobills.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/david-nelson/259f903a-fe1f-40dd-b151-2fb212d51ecb/)</nobr> and <nobr>Naaman Roosevelthttp://www.buffalobills.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/naaman-roosevelt/e0c1cd6c-e9ff-4524-bc91-d90d60b86e97/)</nobr>. All of them have made plays through the course of the spring and all have been given their fair share of snaps during the team segments.
Steve Johnson, who continues to see a bulk of the work opposite Lee Evans, believes the receiving corps has come along through the spring sessions and is glad the quarterbacks like what they’re getting from them.
“I think we’ve been good wideouts as far as being playmakers for our quarterbacks and being versatile in our offense,” said Johnson. “I continue to say this versatility thing because that’s how this offense is. Just hearing (the quarterbacks) say that it’s like knowing he has the confidence in us, and I said this last year, as long as we’ve got the confidence from the quarterbacks we can do what we want to. Just keep on connecting each day at practice.”
Johnson had a strong day himself in the passing game Thursday. He led off the 11-on-11 segment with an impressive one-handed catch along the far sideline that was good for a 40-yard hookup with Brian Brohm.
“It’s all opportunity,” said Johnson. “I’m getting an opportunity to play on the outside and on the inside and I just want to show the coaches I can do both. Whenever goes down on the inside I can go there if somebody goes down on the outside I can be there. Just show my versatility in this offense.”
The third-year wideout got behind his defender a few more times and was open for some more big plays, but the quarterbacks couldn’t connect.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Minicamp---Day-2---QB-rotation-continues-Fitz-sees-answers-at-WR/0bc4cfda-bd37-4bf2-a423-499a97c4c1df

BillsWin
06-24-2010, 06:14 PM
You missed the point.

In another thread, I was arguing about Parrish with another poster and he said that the coaching staff showed confidence in Parrish by keeping him over Josh Reed.

But the reality is that Parrish is still under contract and Reed wasn't, so they didn't have to do anything to keep him. Now, they're letting Steve Johnson play #2 WR over him, so there is no way to argue that the coaching staff has confidence in Parrish.

And Parrish was the #2 WR in 2008 when we had a couple of injuries, so he's played that role a lot more than Johnson has.

Maybe they have confidence in him playing right where he is now. Which is the slot. Does it really matter where Jauron had him playing in 2008? Jauron did a lot of crazy things us fans couldn't explain. Parrish should have never been playing on the outside in the first place.

But I see your point about Reed vs. Parrish. Why move Parrish when he is under contract, when you can just not resign Reed. It makes more sense. Both of them have put up little to no production. So keeping one over the other doesn't mean much.

Buffalogic
06-25-2010, 01:27 AM
We will without a doubt have the worst WR corps in the NFL.

But that's OK when you have an O-line who can't block and a QB who can't throw.
Yeah, that's what everyone said last off season about the Giants...That they'd have the worst receivers in the league..

Their WR's turned out to be the strength of their team.

We don't know what we are going to get from this group of receivers yet.

madness
06-25-2010, 08:34 AM

Jackson presence (http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2010/06/jackson-presence.html)

Chad Jackson is a former second-round draft choice of the New England Patriots who sort of never got a great chance to produce on that team's star-studded receiving corps and who also reportedly didn't quite work hard enough upon being drafted to suit the Patriots' liking. Nevertheless, he has another chance with the Bills this season and he made his presence known in Thursday afternoon's practice at Ralph Wilson Stadium. Jackson showed good hands in picking a quick throw from Trent Edwards out of the air for a touchdown on a slant pattern in the 7 on 7 red-zone period. Jackson has been running behind Steve Johnson on the depth chart this week. But Jackson did hook up with Edwards on a solid out pattern vs. Terrence McGee on Wednesday morning and caught an out from Brian Brohm Thursday morning.

---Mark Gaughan

HHURRICANE
06-25-2010, 08:48 AM
The real question is can Easley play the #1 WR position so we can put Evans at #2 where he belongs.

wmoz11
06-25-2010, 09:02 AM
The real question is can Easley play the #1 WR position so we can put Evans at #2 where he belongs.

Where, in your mind, does the positioning of the number 1 receiver and the number 2 receiver differ?

justasportsfan
06-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Where, in your mind, does the positioning of the number 1 receiver and the number 2 receiver differ?

He blast Lee but defends the guy thrwoing to him (TE) :coocoo:

billz83
06-25-2010, 10:24 AM
super bowl here we COME! We have PUREE BACKUPS as starters..they should just rename the bills the replacements.

DraftBoy
06-25-2010, 10:34 AM

The real question can a second and third passing option emerge in the passing game. What # on the depth chart they are doesn't matter right now.

JD
06-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Evans, Johnson, Weasley :up: