PDA

View Full Version : How do the Bills make the playoffs this year?

HHURRICANE
06-24-2010, 09:20 AM
Every year I post a thread that at least try's to account for something positive that is going on with this team and how the team could make the playoffs.

Let me be clear. I have no belief whatsoever that the Bills will make the playoffs. Also in years past these threads have come back to bite me because somehow people never read the disclaimer. So one more time. I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO BELIEF THAT THE BILLS WILL MAKE THE PLAYOFFS!!

Okay with that said let's have some fun and see what could happen to get us in the playoffs.

1) Obvioulsy there alot of threads about our secondary. I think they are the best in the league. I think Ashton Yobouty will have a break out year as well to add to the crazy talent that is back there.

2) Believe it or not I am not as down on the pass rush as years past. I like where Stroud and Spence Johnson are playing. I also like where Kelsay is. If Maybin can somehow show some level of number 1 ability and Poz can play up to his potential the D could be the best we have seen in the last 5 years.

3) Running game could be one of the best in the league. You can win alot of games dominating on the ground which takes alot of pressure off of a QB. I think all three QBs suck so it's going to come down to how well we can run the ball.

4) Chan Gailey. I don't know if the guy can coach but he's probably the best offensive miind we have had here in a decade. No doubt we need it. Let's hope he can make chicken salad.

5) QB, offensive line, and WRs. This is the biggest issue with this team. However, I go back to 1980 when a young team, and a new head coach, made the playoffs with the same question marks. I believe that we are stronger at TE than we have been in a while. Evans, Easley, and Johnson don't have to be great if we can run te ball. The coaching staff and teammates beleieve that Wood, Hangartner, and Levitre have the stuff so I'll begrudgling agree. Wood is high on Bell, and Green is a vet. maybe the o-line can be good enough. This leaves QB. I'm starting to feel like OP and think that we just have three crappy QBs. Fitz is out so it's either Edwards finding his form or Brohm becoming the player people expected out of college. We need a minor miracle here.

Please add your thoughts and comment.

PS. If every thing were to click wild card.

OpIv37
06-24-2010, 09:26 AM
How do the Bills make the playoffs this year? A 3-way mid-air plane collision kills the entire Dolphins, Patriots and Jets teams, so the Bills win the AFCE by default.

HHURRICANE
06-24-2010, 09:29 AM
How do the Bills make the playoffs this year? A 3-way mid-air plane collision kills the entire Dolphins, Patriots and Jets teams, so the Bills win the AFCE by default.

Be nice. I'm trying to give some reasons for optimism. Even you OP, deep down inside, hope that we are wrong and this team shocks us. That's why we watch the games.

OpIv37
06-24-2010, 09:31 AM
Well, I agree that the things you mentioned are the things that would have to happen for us to make the playoffs. That, and someone would have to step up big time at LT- Bell, Meredith, or the org would have to sign someone like Flozell Adams.

But I think the chances of all those things working out in Buffalo's favor are about the same as the previously mentioned mid-air plane crash scenario.

Philagape
06-24-2010, 09:31 AM

A nuclear bomb at a Pats-Jets game should do it.

OpIv37
06-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Oh, also, at least one of our 3 "NT's" would have to prove to be a real NFL NT. Maybe Troup will be more ready than most of us think he is, or maybe Harvey will finally make the most of an opportunity. Both are long shots, but I guess that's the point of this thread.

trapezeus
06-24-2010, 09:42 AM

wrong, bettman...er, Goodell, will break up the bills to give teams a roster to work with.

knowing goodell and how much the NFL loves certain teams over others, here is where certain bills players go:

QB: brown to Patriots (they love their late round pick qbs), edwards to miami (should do well on a strong run team and warm weather), brohm to jets, bills keep Fitz
RB: Spiller to patriots, Jackson to miami, lynch to jets, bills keep joquie bell
WR: Evans to patriots, johnson to miami, parrish to miami, Trapezeus to the bills.

So on and so forth.

k-oneputt
06-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Realistically they would have to be a huge plus in the turnover dept.

mikemac2001
06-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Winning the Division or Making it with a wild card spot

BertSquirtgum
06-24-2010, 10:23 AM

i wish someone would kick you in the testes

OpIv37
06-24-2010, 10:55 AM
i wish someone would kick you in the testes
I wish you would contribute to the discussion instead of posting immature nonsense that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Granted, there was some cynicism to my post, but it is based in the reality that we were worse than all 3 of our div opponents last year, and all 3 improved more than we did this off-season. So, it's going to take a miracle for this team to make the playoffs.

I'm sorry that you don't like that reality, but expressing your disdain for me instead of addressing the topic won't change that.

PromoTheRobot
06-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Win 3 more games than last year. Duh.

PTR

DraftBoy
They are going to have force turnovers on D, as already mentioned.

Lynch will have to come back to form and combine with Jackson to have over 2000 yards rushing which will take pressure off whoever the QB is, and either Shawn Nelson or a #2 will have to emerge to take pressure off of Evans on all the passing downs.

WeAreArthurMoates
I wish you would contribute to the discussion instead of posting immature nonsense that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Granted, there was some cynicism to my post, but it is based in the reality that we were worse than all 3 of our div opponents last year, and all 3 improved more than we did this off-season. So, it's going to take a miracle for this team to make the playoffs.

I'm sorry that you don't like that reality, but expressing your disdain for me instead of addressing the topic won't change that.

They made better personell improvements but we made the most important one. Getting Gailey on board with a legit S & C program, a complete change in philosophy and having a coach that actually can run an offense is monster. This has been continually overlooked.

OpIv37
06-24-2010, 11:22 AM
They made better personell improvements but we made the most important one. Getting Gailey on board with a legit S & C program, a complete change in philosophy and having a coach that actually can run an offense is monster. This has been continually overlooked.

I have some concerns about some of the things Gailey is doing because they remind me too much of the past. But the reality is that it's too soon to tell how his strategies will play out in the long term.

However, even if he has us on the right track for the long term, we are in trouble for the short term. We have the learning curve associated with the new systems on both sides of the ball, we have some serious holes that weren't filled, and we did nothing to close the talent gap between us and our division opponents. So, regardless of what happens long-term, this year is looking like a disaster. It would take a LOT of things going Buffalo's way in order to make the playoffs, and while I'm sure some of the things mentioned in this thread will work out in Buffalo's favor, I highly doubt it will be enough of them to turn this thing around THIS year.

WeAreArthurMoates
06-24-2010, 12:00 PM
I have some concerns about some of the things Gailey is doing because they remind me too much of the past. But the reality is that it's too soon to tell how his strategies will play out in the long term.

However, even if he has us on the right track for the long term, we are in trouble for the short term. We have the learning curve associated with the new systems on both sides of the ball, we have some serious holes that weren't filled, and we did nothing to close the talent gap between us and our division opponents. So, regardless of what happens long-term, this year is looking like a disaster. It would take a LOT of things going Buffalo's way in order to make the playoffs, and while I'm sure some of the things mentioned in this thread will work out in Buffalo's favor, I highly doubt it will be enough of them to turn this thing around THIS year.

I don't see it happening to but that's not the point of this thread. But how you think Gailey has any resemblence of Jauron is beyond me.

Mr. Pink
06-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Lets just say the odds dinosaurs roam the Earth in January is more likely than the Bills playing meaningful football.

It's rebuilding year. People need to realize that.

better days
06-24-2010, 03:24 PM

What is Gailey doing that reminds you of the past? He has greatly improved the strength & conditioning program, has not given in to Lynch wanting a trade, & opened the QB & all other positions to competition. This is TOTALLY different than what we saw in the past.

Typ0
06-24-2010, 03:32 PM
For all the people that strongly disagree with all the doom and gloom I see positives myself to a point. The one thing on the offensive side of the ball we need is solid QB play. If we can get that this team can be good offensively. Without it we'll continue to be offensive. So that is one guy that can make a huge difference for this team.

But on the other side of the ball what's really required is a powerful defensive line that can stop the run without stacking the box. I just don't think we have the players to do that. Yes, the defense will be decent and the secondary will be good--but they won't be as good as they can be trying to make tackles near the LOS. It's where we need the most help and what concerns me the most in terms of their ability to turn it around and make a playoff run.

BillsWin
06-24-2010, 03:34 PM
The Bills will make the playoffs because I said they will. Thread closed.

:D

jamze132
06-25-2010, 01:35 AM
One thing that is going to help whoever the QB is, is practicing against one of the best secondary's in the NFL each week. Add that to a strong running game, and we might be able to play some meaningful games in October.

billz83
06-25-2010, 10:35 AM
The starters for the REST of the AFC need to get injured so these backups have an even playing field and even then it wouldnt be guaranteed because we actually had this opportunity in the past against the steelers 2nd and 3rd stringers and we COULDNT GET IT DONE! this team isnt going anywhere..most of us knew this when they ignored the OLINE and the QB postions.