PDA

View Full Version : So we won't know the "Pecking Order"

homeslice5484
06-25-2010, 11:30 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...qb-depth-chart

By Tim Graham
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Buffalo Bills head coach Chan Gailey already knows who he will pencil in as his No. 1 quarterback when training camp opens.

But he's not saying.

Moments after the Bills' final offseason practice Friday morning, Gailey declared he will tell neither the media nor his four quarterbacks what his depth chart looks like until the players report to St. John Fisher College in suburban Rochester, N.Y., on July 29.

"We'll go to camp and, like I said earlier, we'll have a pecking order," Gailey said. "But nothing's in concrete. Everybody's still going to have a chance to win the job."

By the sounds of it, Gailey was underwhelmed by how Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brian Brohm differentiated themselves over the past several weeks.

"Well, it's still open," Gailey said. "Don't read too much into who takes the first snap and who takes the second snap and who takes the third snap. ... It's close."

Gailey made sure Edwards, Fitzpatrick and Brohm received the same number of repetitions through the offseason (seventh-round draft choice Levi Brown received limited action). There was a rotation to determine who received the first snaps each practice, but the skill position players were cycled through different units, too.

"We're trying to make sure everybody gets as close to equal reps as possible," Gailey said. "Very few players on our team have anything locked up.

"We're still teaching fundamentals, basic concepts. That's what this is about still."

patmoran2006
06-25-2010, 11:33 AM
Trent Edwards will be #1 when camp opens.

homeslice5484
06-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Are you basing that on your opinion or what you have heard? What exactly has he done to earn that? Unless Ralph still wants him to be the poster boy for 1 more year...his picture is posted all over Toronto for the Toronto Series.

justasportsfan
06-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Are you basing that on your opinion or what you have heard?

he's basing it on what Logan said.

homeslice5484
06-25-2010, 11:44 AM
I just don't understand how all these people act like they know for sure...where exactly are you getting the information. If someone in the know told you then great, but I just don't understand what you can base it on with an entirely new coaching staff and GM and what limited practice they have seen.

homeslice5484
06-25-2010, 11:46 AM
If that is the case, I wonder how long till Trent loses it?

patmoran2006
06-25-2010, 11:47 AM
he's basing it on what Logan said.
Exactly.. his word is his bond.

In other news, not a single thing I've seen or person I've spoken to says any of the QB's have been impressive. But in their defense, how impressive is an offense to look when Nick Hennessey is getting starting reps at LT.

homeslice5484
06-25-2010, 11:49 AM
If what Gailey says is true and that neither has really separated themselves...what are you basing your prediction on?

better days
06-25-2010, 01:25 PM

In other news, not a single thing I've seen or person I've spoken to says any of the QB's have been impressive. But in their defense, how impressive is an offense to look when Nick Hennessey is getting starting reps at LT.

OTA's are NON CONTACT. I doubt the line affects things all that much at this point.

As I have said before, if Trent was as good as many people want to believe, he should look much more impressive than the other QB's.

methos4ever
06-25-2010, 02:25 PM
OTA's are NON CONTACT. I doubt the line affects things all that much at this point.

As I have said before, if Trent was as good as many people want to believe, he should look much more impressive than the other QB's.
I wouldn't think that's necessarily true, given each may have a different learning curve. Remember, they're all on the equal footing of learning a new offense with new terminology. If anything, Brohm may have it easier because he doesn't have 3 or 4 prior Bills offenses to screw it up.

T-Long
06-25-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm also hearing Edwards #1. I don't really think that's ground breaking, but I am really intrigued on who is actually going to be cut out of the 4 they have.

They drafted Brown, so I doubt that they cut him or release him. Maybe they hope to sign him on the practice squad if he isn't snagged up by someone else. But, I think Fitzpatrick is a good #2 and I think him and Brohm will truly compete for that spot.

Like I said, I heard Edwards too, but it shouldn't be that big of a shock to anyone.

justasportsfan
06-25-2010, 02:30 PM
I doubt the bills risk Brown by putting him on the practice squad.

methos4ever
06-25-2010, 02:35 PM
I'm also hearing Edwards #1. I don't really think that's ground breaking, but I am really intrigued on who is actually going to be cut out of the 4 they have.

They drafted Brown, so I doubt that they cut him or release him. Maybe they hope to sign him on the practice squad if he isn't snagged up by someone else. But, I think Fitzpatrick is a good #2 and I think him and Brohm will truly compete for that spot.

Like I said, I heard Edwards too, but it shouldn't be that big of a shock to anyone.
Given the competition and Brohm's improvement, wouldn't you think it may be a good idea to consider trading Fitz to the Bears? He knows Martz' system and can help with Cutler and we can ensure that we don't have to play the PS game with Brown?

T-Long
06-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Given the competition and Brohm's improvement, wouldn't you think it may be a good idea to consider trading Fitz to the Bears? He knows Martz' system and can help with Cutler and we can ensure that we don't have to play the PS game with Brown?
Having a #2 QB that has proven he can come off of the bench or start a game or two is critical in the NFL. Especially if they go with Edwards as the starter. I'm not one to say I'm a big fan of Fitz, but the guy has shown he can come in and keep the team competitive.

Maybe he is the odd man out and it looks like Edwards, Brohm, and Brown. That is most likely the scenario IMO.

homeslice5484
06-25-2010, 02:45 PM
The thought of Trent makes me nauseous

EDS
06-25-2010, 03:46 PM
The thought of Trent makes me nauseous

What should make you sick is if no one can beat him out.

I still think Edwards is the likely opening day starter but it is entirely unclear whether he can recover from the psychological trauma of the past two years.

better days
06-25-2010, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't think that's necessarily true, given each may have a different learning curve. Remember, they're all on the equal footing of learning a new offense with new terminology. If anything, Brohm may have it easier because he doesn't have 3 or 4 prior Bills offenses to screw it up.

The point is, we have been told ad nauseum about Trents intelligence. If he is as good as his supporters think, his learning curve should be much shorter than the others. He also has more experience than Brohm, so he should be able to read a defense better.

Throne Logic
06-25-2010, 11:20 PM
I doubt the bills risk Brown by putting him on the practice squad.

Not really a huge risk. They just have to have a plan in place if someone puts a claim on him. The Bills will need to put him on the active roster immediately to protect him, so they should already know who gets cut to save him.

jamze132
06-26-2010, 11:52 AM
QBdepthchartgate (c) is killing me.

Who gives a **** right now?

JCBills
06-26-2010, 02:06 PM

Word is bond

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfs8b9ZYhJ4