PDA

View Full Version : If the competition is really this close, shouldn't Brohm be named starter?

BillsWin
06-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Isn't it proof that Edwards isn't very good? If he can't establish himself as a clear favorite, maybe he shouldn't be starting in the first place.

Go with the younger kid with more upside.

Gailey says it's close. You'd think that Edwards as the "favorite" with more starting experience would have established himself as "the guy".

Things may change when the pads go on, but in my opinion, you lose nothing by announcing Brohm as the starter. In fact, the positives of that for Brohm may help him to continue to develop.

I don't think Brohm is the second coming of Jim Kelly. But I know Edwards isn't.

Michael82
06-25-2010, 01:19 PM
I'm a big fan of the Brohm Bomber and want him to win the job, so I shouldn't say anything because it would be biased. But I agree with you. I think that Gailey wanted to give Edwards every chance possible to take the job, but he did not do that. Plus Brohm has been getting better each day and shows more potential. I think he's earned a crack at it, at camp.

madness
06-25-2010, 02:53 PM
Tim Graham think it's still not as close as some of us would like it to be.

I'm no scout, but I thought Edwards looked better than Ryan Fitzpatrick (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8664) and Brian Brohm (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11290). Edwards threw a nice ball and didn't seem to make as many mistakes as Fitzpatrick and Brohm did.

Brohm did close out the last practice well. Shortly after throwing an interception right to linebacker Andra Davis (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=3669), he came back in a two-minute drill and found Donald Jones (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=13597) for a touchdown on the final play of minicamp.

Dr. Lecter
06-25-2010, 02:55 PM
I'm a big fan of the Brohm Bomber and want him to win the job, so I shouldn't say anything because it would be biased. But I agree with you. I think that Gailey wanted to give Edwards every chance possible to take the job, but he did not do that. Plus Brohm has been getting better each day and shows more potential. I think he's earned a crack at it, at camp.

"Brohm Bomber"?

dannyek71
06-25-2010, 03:02 PM
They are going to make Trent sound like he earned it. Otherwise, even if he is far above the least awful QB on the roster, people will be upset unless they think he has earned it.

Michael82
06-25-2010, 03:05 PM
"Brohm Bomber"?
Yeah I read someone call him that on another message board and liked it. :up:

BillsWin
06-25-2010, 03:09 PM
I've been calling him the Brohm Bomber since he signed. I liked it. If he turns out to be good (long shot). It makes for good signs and t-shirts. :up:

DraftBoy
06-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Yes Im all for just handing it to a guy and not making it prove he deserves it! That's the ticket!

ZAZusmc03
06-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Do you gents think there is the possibility that Brohm never succeeded in GB because he wasn't given the opportunity that we are this offseason? I mean he is getting a ton of reps, and Chan is giving feedback to all of the guys. I think, if he is going to be successful, it will be for the bills and because he was given the opportunity and reps he needed to find a comfort level.

BillsWin
06-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Yes Im all for just handing it to a guy and not making it prove he deserves it! That's the ticket!

Has Edwards proven anything?

Besides being average, injury prone and afraid to throw it deep, I'd say Edwards has proven very little himself.

Brohm has proven nothing. But Edwards hasn't proved much either.

Dr. Lecter
06-25-2010, 03:19 PM
Do you gents think there is the possibility that Brohm never succeeded in GB because he wasn't given the opportunity that we are this offseason? I mean he is getting a ton of reps, and Chan is giving feedback to all of the guys. I think, if he is going to be successful, it will be for the bills and because he was given the opportunity and reps he needed to find a comfort level.

I bet he got more reps than the 7th round pick that beat him out.

YardRat
06-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Way too early to name a starter, nobody has had a real chance to distinguish themselves.

Goobylal
06-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Apparently the "pecking order" in TC isn't set-in-stone and someone else can become the starter if they outperform the other 2 (3?). So the top "pecker" won't necessarily stay that way.

Typ0
06-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Way too early to name a starter, nobody has had a real chance to distinguish themselves.

Totally agree. Complete new philosophy on everything on the field. Of course CG is saying it's close. He's blowing smoke up everyones ass because he doesn't have enough to work with. All of the QBs are hanging on a thread to even work on this team next year.

Nighthawk
06-25-2010, 09:42 PM
I'd like Brohm to win the starting position, but as I said, I like him to WIN the job. If Edwards wins it, so be it...as long as he proves he deserved it. I don't want anything to do with Fitzpatrick and will have a hard time watching that pile of crap play every Sunday if he is behind center. That guy is terrible...PERIOD!

Commissioner
06-25-2010, 10:02 PM
I think a lot of people want Brohm to win the job simply because he's not the other 2.

Typ0
06-25-2010, 10:03 PM
I think a lot of people want Brohm to win the job simply because he's not the other 2.

They've seen Edwards play...he's boring.

Commissioner
06-25-2010, 10:08 PM
I doubt the competition is as close as Gailey is making it out to be...

He's being a coach and pushing his players.... I'm sure he's got a favorite but doesn't want anyone to get comfortable.

You guys read way too much into what these people say.

Goobylal
06-25-2010, 10:40 PM
I doubt the competition is as close as Gailey is making it out to be...

He's being a coach and pushing his players.... I'm sure he's got a favorite but doesn't want anyone to get comfortable.

You guys read way too much into what these people say.
When Gailey says that nothing is in concrete and that everybody still has a chance to win the No. 1 job, no one should be getting comfortable. Even if someone was already named the starter going into TC.

Commissioner
06-25-2010, 10:43 PM
When Gailey says that nothing is in concrete and that everybody still has a chance to win the No. 1 job, no one should be getting comfortable. Even if someone was already named the starter going into TC.

Its what a smart coach with 3 mediocre QB's should say. Unless you have a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.... you push all 3 to keep getting better.

Beebe's Kid
06-25-2010, 11:26 PM
They've seen Edwards play...he's boring.

Boring is one way to describe it. Like pulling teeth is another. The Brown's game was the beginning of my turning on TE, and the Titans game sealed it.

We don't score with him on the field...was that the offense, or Trent? The fact that Jauron and Van Pelt had all of the offensive variety of a Tecmo Bowl playbook couldn't have helped him, but his attitude seemed to be an issue.

I want Brohm because I think he has way more upside. I thought his struggles in GB were well documented and something that he owns up to admirably, but the negative *****s here will never hear it. I thought that he got less reps than Flynn, and had serious confidence issues, which he said he has been working on. I could be wrong...wouldn't be the first time.

I agree that many of us only want him because he is not the other two, but I don't have a problem with that. I hope he wins the job, and that I have had to watch a game in utter disgust while whatever TE has for testicles recede into his mangina, and he folds at the end of game, saddling us with another unwatchable loss in the 4th Qtr.

HHURRICANE
06-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Tim Graham think it's still not as close as some of us would like it to be.

Yeah, I suspect that the QB competition is not that close. I wouldn't be surprised if Brohm remains at #3.

HHURRICANE
06-26-2010, 08:37 AM
Isn't it proof that Edwards isn't very good? If he can't establish himself as a clear favorite, maybe he shouldn't be starting in the first place.

Gailey says it's close. You'd think that Edwards as the "favorite" with more starting experience would have established himself as "the guy".

Things may change when the pads go on, but in my opinion, you lose nothing by announcing Brohm as the starter. In fact, the positives of that for Brohm may help him to continue to develop.

I don't think Brohm is the second coming of Jim Kelly. But I know Edwards isn't.

Tim Graham was there all week and he said flat out Edwards was the best. We don't want the best QB on the field? What kind of logic is that?

acehole
06-26-2010, 09:17 AM
brome has slightly less confidence then trent,,,,,edge trent.

Goobylal
06-26-2010, 09:31 AM
Tim Graham was there all week and he said flat out Edwards was the best. We don't want the best QB on the field? What kind of logic is that?
He didn't say "flat out." He said he thought he looked better. And his opinion is just that; his opinion. He's a reporter and nothing else.

better days
06-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I suspect that the QB competition is not that close. I wouldn't be surprised if Brohm remains at #3.

When camp broke the other day, Chan said the competition was CLOSE. He also said that it was not over yet. The one QB he praised was Brohm, for what it's worth.

jamze132
06-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Trent = 3-5 wins

Brohm = 3-5 wins

Fitzdouchetrick = 3-5 wins

Nighthawk
06-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Trent = 3-5 wins

Brohm = 3-5 wins

Ehh, I hear ya, but you don't really know this.

Dr. Lecter
06-26-2010, 10:26 PM
Trent = 3-5 wins

Brohm = 3-5 wins

:homer:

jamze132
06-27-2010, 08:05 AM
Let me take off my rose-colored glasses.

Ok, now I see 1-3 wins.

justasportsfan
06-27-2010, 08:36 AM
I believe Gailey when he says it's close . Only when the pads come on when the qb's separate themselves and Gailey has a better picture.

Goobylal
06-27-2010, 09:56 AM
The Bills will win more than 6 games this year. Bet money on it.