• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shelby
    The Vanilla *****
    • Jul 2002

Tim Graham's Minicamp notes

i found some of this interesting....
    The Buffalo Bills wrapped up their three-day minicamp Friday and broke for the summer. Here are some random thoughts from their five practices ...
    • It was difficult to get any kind of idea what the offense will look like. Not only did head coach Chan Gailey rotate his top three quarterbacks through first-team rotations, but he also did the same with his skill players. For example, in a seven-on-seven drill Thursday afternoon, Trent Edwards took the "first-team" reps, but his touchdown passes went to Chad Jackson and undrafted rookie David Nelson.
    • I'm no scout, but I thought Edwards looked better than Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brian Brohm. Edwards threw a nice ball and didn't seem to make as many mistakes as Fitzpatrick and Brohm did.
      Brohm did close out the last practice well. Shortly after throwing an interception right to linebacker Andra Davis, he came back in a two-minute drill and found Donald Jones for a touchdown on the final play of minicamp.
    • Wide receiver James Hardy, the 41st overall pick two years ago, looked like he still was getting into shape. Gailey said Friday that Hardy had been slowed down this spring but didn't say why. Turns out Hardy underwent sports hernia surgery after last season and couldn't work out for six weeks, a league source said.
    • Buffalo's defensive backs have incredible hands. There's an old saying that if defensive backs could catch, then they would be wide receivers. But when I watched the Bills' secondary go through individual drills, the ball rarely touched the turf.
    read more...

• HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Re: Tim Graham's Minicamp notes

First off, I like Tim Graham and he's been pretty accurate with his reporting. Quick thoughts:

1) Edwards was the best QB. So for all the fluff articles etc. I'm going to go with Graham's eyes.

2) Sounds like Hardy is definately a bust. He looked slow in video highlights and now Graham reports he had hernia surgery in the off-season. No wonders we aren't hearing his name.

3) Camp Jauron seems to be in full swing yet again.

Comment

• Goobylal
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
      First off, I like Tim Graham and he's been pretty accurate with his reporting. Quick thoughts:

1) Edwards was the best QB. So for all the fluff articles etc. I'm going to go with Graham's eyes.

2) Sounds like Hardy is definately a bust. He looked slow in video highlights and now Graham reports he had hernia surgery in the off-season. No wonders we aren't hearing his name.

1) Opinions by non-experts are just that: opinions. The fact that Brohm has been coming-on means he could overtake Edwards in training camp, should Edwards be at the top of the "pecking order."

2) He's rapidly approaching bust status. If not for lack of production, but injuries.

3) Yeah, okay.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
        I'm not sure about that. Many players have indicated that they are working harder, at least from a strength and conditioning standpoint, than they did under Jauron. And just because there is not a lot of yelling and trash talk doesn't mean there's not intensity. As Graham said, we're learning new systems on both sides of the ball.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

miami has a parcells run group. of course it's miltaristic. sparano also is established and has 2 seasons of mild to average success. most of hte players know what he's trying to do.

the jets of course are hamming it up. they are preparing for the HBO hard knocks segment.

the bills probably have to get everyone on board this year. i trust that they've been giving it to them pretty loud in the weight room and that training camp will be harder as the coaches will expect mosto f the guys to know what they are doing.

Comment

• Ground Chuck
            • Jul 2009

Will someone please ask if Gailey plans to run the wildcat? Please?

Comment

• Turf
              • Jul 2002

Hardy is the most complete bust I've ever seen. Is he ever healthy? He has not done a single damn thing since he's been here, yet he sticks and everyone holds out hope for him. All I can ask is, based on what?
              Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• trapezeus
                Legendary Zoner
                • Oct 2004

based on the fact he was a second round pick.

i think he's shown enough that he isn't committed to becoming a well rounded player. he succeeded with raw talent in college.

he's off the team by the end of his contract.

Comment

• jamze132
                  Don’t hate…
                  • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Goobylal
                  1) Opinions by non-experts are just that: opinions. The fact that Brohm has been coming-on means he could overtake Edwards in training camp, should Edwards be at the top of the "pecking order."

2) He's rapidly approaching bust status. If not for lack of production, but injuries.

3) Yeah, okay.
                  Dude, its an OTA.

Comment

• Goobylal
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jamze132
                    Dude, its an OTA.
                    ...and?

Comment

• tampabay25690
                      • Feb 2004

I am so sick of hearing about the NY JETS already...
                      Hear about them all day on SIRIUS.......
                      They think they are the paper champions already......

I think the league is over looking the BILLS and I like that....

To say HARDY is a bust is way to early right now so give it time....
                      GO Gators!!!!!!
                      GO GATORS!!

Comment

• JCBills
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                        I'm not sure about that. Many players have indicated that they are working harder, at least from a strength and conditioning standpoint, than they did under Jauron. And just because there is not a lot of yelling and trash talk doesn't mean there's not intensity. As Graham said, we're learning new systems on both sides of the ball.
                        Exactly.

Plenty of coaches take the approach of "actions speak louder than words". Do your talking in games etc by making plays. Plus everyone is basically fighting for a roster spot or starting job, maybe a little more focus is going into their level of play rather than all the side stuff.

Comment

• Throne Logic
                          Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
                          • Aug 2002

Laying into a player in front of an outside audience is poor professionalism. Take that player aside when no one else is listening and lay into them then, in private.

Forced humiliation will never get you as far as earned respect.
                          Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Throne Logic
                            Laying into a player in front of an outside audience is poor professionalism. Take that player aside when no one else is listening and lay into them then, in private.

Forced humiliation will never get you as far as earned respect.
                            I agree, but there are some Coachs in all sports that pick a player or 2 & use them as whipping boys.

Comment

• Eventually
                              • Jan 2010

Guys like Hardy get drafted every year. Ultra talented in natural ability but raw to the aspects of the pro game. Some of these guys are taught properly and excel, others no matter how well or poorly coached up never live up to their initial drafted prospective. It's guys like this that certain teams make their living in drafting late and then developing properly, you can see which teams do this well and who don't.. Buffalo's taken Hardy, McCargo, Maybin to name a few way too early in this respect. Granted though in OBD's defense, Only McCargo probably would have made it to their next pick though. It's just my opinion but when you are rebuilding naturally gifted but raw should not be in your rounds 1-3 draft plans, if you don't hit, you get smacked across the face with the proverbial frying pan.

Hardy has had a few injuries, and had terrible coaching to date. I'm willing to give him the camp to see how he performs. Would be wonderful for him to flip a switch and be a servicable guy that can develop this year, but servicable is the key word here, can't be ho hum and able to be developed at this point. If he doesn't turn the page by camps end, then i feel like the depth chart should be evans, johnson, easley, Jackson, Parrish with sixth guy not dressed being nelson. Would be just another brick in the bills poor drafting wall if it turns out this way though, so here's hoping we see something out of hardy.

Comment

Working...
                              X