PDA

View Full Version : Bills Need To Find Help In The Pivot

madness
06-28-2010, 10:02 AM
Bills Need To Find Help In The Pivot (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/6/27/1538414/bills-need-to-find-help-in-the)
The center position has long been a concern for the Buffalo Bills (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/BUF) and its fans. Playing in an AFC East division that features three of the league's toughest 3-4 defenses, which in turn feature some excellent, massive nose tackles, quality interior line play is of the utmost importance for this team.
http://www.billszone.com/mt/images/newsicons/bills.gif Buffalo Rumblings/Brian Galliford | Posted at 09:20 AM

justasportsfan
06-28-2010, 10:04 AM
meh. We're set at center. Spiller can start there if we needed him to.

theanswer74
06-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Bills fans need to get over the center position. Centers get help. Why the heck do some of you say Kyle Williams cant play NT? Because he gets doubled.

QB's communicate to centers, so you need a center that is smart and knows everyone's blocking responsibilities like a QB, Hangartner may be the smartest center in the NFL. He will be a good center for us if we ever settle on a QB and Wood and Levitre continue to develop.

madness
06-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Hang is definitely serviceable but depth at center is a real concern.

OpIv37
06-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Bills fans need to get over the center position. Centers get help. Why the heck do some of you say Kyle Williams cant play NT? Because he gets doubled.

QB's communicate to centers, so you need a center that is smart and knows everyone's blocking responsibilities like a QB, Hangartner may be the smartest center in the NFL. He will be a good center for us if we ever settle on a QB and Wood and Levitre continue to develop.

Have you seen how this team has performed against 3-4 D's, particularly ones with good NT's? It's abysmal, and a big reason for that is Hangartner's inability to handle NT's.

justasportsfan
06-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Hangartner may be the smartest center in the NFL. .

Even is he is what you say he is, doesn't mean squat if he can't push whoever is in his face on their arse.

theanswer74
06-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Even is he is what you say he is, doesn't mean squat if he can't push whoever is in his face on their arse.
He doesnt have to push whoever is in front of him, he gets help or is supposed to.

If your looking for a center to handle Kris Jenkins and Vince Wilfork, good luck with that! Although in week 1 last year I thought Hangartner handled Wilfork very well. After that game I didnt even think about Hangartner, besides that bad snaps game ( i have no idea what was going on there, it never happened again) and then later in the season he got beat for a sack.

I dont think Hangartner was a problem really. We will probably know more about him this year as Wood and Levitre shouldnt have as many failed blocking assignments.

Its all about communication and knowing your assignment.

theanswer74
06-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Have you seen how this team has performed against 3-4 D's, particularly ones with good NT's? It's abysmal, and a big reason for that is Hangartner's inability to handle NT's.
The OL hasn't always been bad in those 3-4 games, even with Preston and Fowler. I can give the example of the Browns Monday Night Game. There are other games the OL does just fine against 3-4 teams.

justasportsfan
06-28-2010, 10:32 AM
He doesnt have to push whoever is in front of him, he gets help or is supposed to.
You're going to have an average line when the center can't push back.

I do agree that Hangartner wasn't the biggest problem in our OL but we could us an upgrade. HE should be serviceable especially under Gaileys system that loves to pull the center.

theanswer74
06-28-2010, 10:40 AM
You're going to have an average line when the center can't push back.

I do agree that Hangartner wasn't the biggest problem in our OL but we could us an upgrade. HE should be serviceable especially under Gaileys system that loves to pull the center.
He can push ok in the run game. he wasn't bad as a run blocker last year at all. I thought he was very good at time actually.

Dont get me wrong, center is important, but your talking about a position that gets or gives help most of the time.

I will say this, there are certain times center can be the make or break lineman, thats short yardage and goalline. And yes, we have struggled there in the past mainly because our center gets defeated. I dont know how we did in short yardage last year, or how Hangartner did, I havent looked at those plays yet, I suspect we did poorly. I dont know how Hangartner did though.

Dr. Lecter
06-28-2010, 10:42 AM
meh. We're set at center. Spiller can start there if we needed him to.
I was thinking Brohm could do so!!!!

justasportsfan
06-28-2010, 10:53 AM
He can push ok in the run game. he wasn't bad as a run blocker last year at all. I thought he was very good at time actually.

Dont get me wrong, center is important, but your talking about a position that gets or gives help most of the time.

I will say this, there are certain times center can be the make or break lineman, thats short yardage and goalline. And yes, we have struggled there in the past mainly because our center gets defeated. I dont know how we did in short yardage last year, or how Hangartner did, I havent looked at those plays yet, I suspect we did poorly. I dont know how Hangartner did though.

Like I said, he's serviceable but we can use an upgrade. We have bigger problems on OL than Hang.

jamze132
06-28-2010, 11:03 AM
I think the biggest problem is that the C postion hasn't gotten any Wood yet. When that big pile of steaming wood goes under center, good things will happen.

Johnny Bugmenot
06-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Center is the least of this team's problems on the offensive line. Hangartner, and before him, Fowler, have done respectably there.

OpIv37
06-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Center is the least of this team's problems on the offensive line. Hangartner, and before him, Fowler, have done respectably there.

I don't know what games you were watching but Fowler was terrible. There is a reason why the team let both him and Preston walk to bring in Hangartner.

justasportsfan
06-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Fowler sucked

theanswer74
06-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Fowler sucked
That I agree with, Fowler could not run block. Preston could not run block either, they were terrible.

We couldnt run a simple QB sneak with those guys. I bet our success rate on QB sneaks was under 50%.

justasportsfan
06-28-2010, 11:38 AM
to be fair to Hang, it was his first year playing center with a new team, with a bunch of rookies beside him and an offense that was predictable that even Hellen Keller knew what was coming.

Hopefully he gets better.

Beebe's Kid
06-28-2010, 11:46 AM
I was thinking Brohm could do so!!!!

Brohm was cut from GB's practice squad, which, regardless of anything else, makes his life a complete waste on this planet.

:sarcasm2:

Nighthawk
06-28-2010, 12:06 PM
Why do people continue to post "Buffalo Rubble" articles on here?

Johnny Bugmenot
06-29-2010, 08:24 AM
I don't know what games you were watching but Fowler was terrible. There is a reason why the team let both him and Preston walk to bring in Hangartner.
No, Trey Teague was terrible. Fowler was not good by any stretch, but Teague beats Fowler out by a long shot.

Philagape
06-29-2010, 08:32 AM
The OL hasn't always been bad in those 3-4 games, even with Preston and Fowler. I can give the example of the Browns Monday Night Game. There are other games the OL does just fine against 3-4 teams.

"Hasn't always been bad" ... now there's something to crow about! Way to aim high!

ParanoidAndroid
06-29-2010, 09:08 AM
Well, if you go by the last 2 years, Buffalo needs to be 4 deep at every position.....
The Bills should have Wood to back up the center position.... which means a shift at guard. That is not uncommon around the league. That's why you see O-linemen listed as back-ups at more than one position.

billz83
06-29-2010, 04:50 PM
in the PIVOT?! haha they need to find help EVERYWHERE! the QBz are garbage this oline in beyond PATHETIC, the WRz are below average, we HAVE NO NT, the linebackers are average at BEST..the ONLY 2 things the bills have to loo forward to is the secondary and the RBz other then that this team is horrible..and the OLINE is a HUGE REASON..to think we had SO MANY opportunities to upgrade those positions and this ******ed organization did NOTHING except sign cornell green..

Mr. Pink
06-29-2010, 09:38 PM
No, Trey Teague was terrible. Fowler was not good by any stretch, but Teague beats Fowler out by a long shot.

Teague was much better at Center than Fowler.

Easy way to see, look at McGahee in his first season here, able to dart and cut to hole. Second season, had to dance because Fowler was getting blown up every other play.