• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

chris henry brain damage

did you guys read the report that chris henry had brain damage prior to his death? That's kind of sad i think. I can't find the article, but it essentially said the type of brain damage he had is often linked to substance abuse and trouble with authority.

They need to figure out how to reduce brain injuries in this game we love so much.
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Re: chris henry brain damage

Chris Henry, the late Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver, had chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) at the time of his death, according to scientists at the Brain Injury Research Institute.

Here is the link.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Billz_fan
      • Jan 2003

Would be nice if they could find this before death somehow. Perhaps stop the traumas (retire these guys) and treat. I don't knowm It's just sad.
      The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

Comment

• Stewie
        Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
        • Aug 2002

Why do they need to do more to limit it? At what cost?

These guys know what they're getting into. They get paid accordingly.
        Originally posted by Topdog
        Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
        Originally posted by mercyrule
        I love Weiner.
        also cheese

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
          Zero for Zero!
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by

Do they always know?
          Originally posted by mysticsoto
          Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Tatonka
            • Jul 2002

sorry, but who cares.

guy was a douche before his brain damage.. are we trying to say that brain damage caused him to get arrested and continually break the law? what the **** ever...

my cousin has brain damage too.. never beat the **** out of any kids or women.. never got arrested.. never pistol whipped anyone or acted like a G...

**** chris henry.
            Last edited by Tatonka; 06-30-2010, 11:39 PM.
            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka
              sorry, but who cares.

guy was a douche before his brain damage.. are we trying to say that brain damage caused him to get arrested and continually break the law? what the **** ever...

my cousin has brain damage too.. never beat the **** out of any kids or women.. never got arrested.. never pistol whipped anyone or acted like a G...

**** chris henry.
              You're referring to one player, would you opinion be different if it was an honest citizen or say a famous Bills player like Bruce Smith?

I dont think the point is to say Chris Henry got a bad wrap because he had brain damage, I think the point is to say that Chris Henry's brain damage means the NFL needs to do a better job of protecting their players, period.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by

How much again is a life worth?

If you think they are being paid accordingly, then you put that value at about 285k-300k
                COMING SOON...

Comment

• Stewie
                  • Aug 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                  How much again is a life worth?

If you think they are being paid accordingly, then you put that value at about 285k-300k
                  Excuse me? WTF are you talking about?

You really want me to believe that football players don't know they play a dangerous game? That they don't realize every snap could be their last? They don't realize other men have become paralyzed? That other players have died young? With brain damage? Really?

Leave your nanny state out of my NFL.
                  Last edited by Stewie; 07-01-2010, 07:28 AM.
                  I love Weiner.
                  also cheese

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by
                    Excuse me? WTF are you talking about.

You really want me to believe that football players don't know they play a dangerous game? That they don't realize every snap could be their last? They don't realize other men have become paralyzed? That other players have died young? With brain damage? Really?

Leave your nanny state out of my NFL.
                    Did I say they don't realize it? My issue was with your flippant comment about them being paid accordingly for it.

Read the post next time, don't assume you know what Im talking about.

It begs the question though, how much would you need to be paid to risk brain injury year after year. Is 300K enough?
                    COMING SOON...

Comment

• Stewie
                      • Aug 2002

Did I say they don't realize it? My issue was with your flippant comment about them being paid accordingly for it.

Read the post next time, don't assume you know what Im talking about.

It begs the question though, how much would you need to be paid to risk brain injury year after year. Is 300K enough?
                      I risk brain injury every single day when I get in my car and share the road with morons. So do you. I still don't understand your point, and I'm not sure you really have one.

They pay a dangerous game. They all realize it. No one in the NFL, even the scrubs, sees a game check for less than 25 thousand dollars. That's as much money in one or two weeks as most people earn in a year.

Sorry you view the truth as flippant, but these guys all know football is dangerous, and they all get paid ridiculous sums of money to play that dangerous game.
                      I love Weiner.
                      also cheese

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by
                        I risk brain injury every single day when I get in my car and share the road with morons. So do you. I still don't understand your point, and I'm not sure you really have one.

They pay a dangerous game. They all realize it. No one in the NFL, even the scrubs, sees a game check for less than 25 thousand dollars. That's as much money in one or two weeks as most people earn in a year.

Sorry you view the truth as flippant, but these guys all know football is dangerous, and they all get paid ridiculous sums of money to play that dangerous game.

Ah yes the everything I do is a danger point, while true, doesnt apply because these guys go through that same risk, plus the added risk with their employment you and I do not, unless you can run a sub 4.4 40, and are about 6'1-6'2, 195-210lbs, and can play football at an elite level, in which case shoot me a PM and I can find you a tryout.

Again nobody is disputing whether or not they realize football is dangerous. Not sure what the hang up is there.

I asked you a question, is 300K enough for you to risk brain injury annually through your employment?
                        COMING SOON...

Comment

• Stewie
                          • Aug 2002

Ah yes the everything I do is a danger point, while true, doesnt apply because these guys go through that same risk, plus the added risk with their employment you and I do not, unless you can run a sub 4.4 40, and are about 6'1-6'2, 195-210lbs, and can play football at an elite level, in which case shoot me a PM and I can find you a tryout.

Again nobody is disputing whether or not they realize football is dangerous. Not sure what the hang up is there.

I asked you a question, is 300K enough for you to risk brain injury annually through your employment?
                          That would depend on how good I was at football. If I was good enough to get into the league, but still a scrub, then yeah, I'd take my 300k. If I was a superstar and getting paid 300k (like Chris Johnson, for example) then no, it wouldn't be enough.

But that's the point - everyone picks their own price. Knowing the risks. And many of them would do it for free to prolong their careers, if they could.
                          I love Weiner.
                          also cheese

Comment

• trapezeus
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Oct 2004

a couple points,

1. Chris henry was a wide receiver. that doesn't typically take a lot of hits as they aren't involved every play. imagine what the linemen go through.
                            2. He wasn't in the NFL very long when you account for suspensions and what not. So it seems like from childhood football and college football kids are at danger. They aren't compensated and they don't have access to the best medicine or frequent tests to know if they've passed a line.
                            3. I was not defending henry and his actions. but perhaps the reputation NFL players have isn't just them being entitled jackasses...there may be a physiologicaly response. Some respond better than others when attempting to control it. So these weekly suspensions and stuff aren't fixing anything. That's my point.
                            4. You risk your life by getting in a car that has an airbag, side airbags, crumple zone, etc. You have mitigated the risk. My real point isn't to feel bad for players, but to see if the best helmets are being used. People are much bigger and stronger than they've ever been. Helmets have only mildly improved over the last 20-25 years.
                            5. I don't think you're ever paid accordingly to have your life shortened. Yes, they know the risks of injury, but there is an assumption that you are getting some of the best treatment and will be ok. A number of these players are in really bad shape after 45.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by
                              That would depend on how good I was at football. If I was good enough to get into the league, but still a scrub, then yeah, I'd take my 300k. If I was a superstar and getting paid 300k (like Chris Johnson, for example) then no, it wouldn't be enough.

But that's the point - everyone picks their own price. Knowing the risks. And many of them would do it for free to prolong their careers, if they could.
                              Which is something nobody has disagree on you with. The question still remains that if we can do more (ex. better helmets) then why not do it? Nobody is saying we should slow down the game or change the rules, however if safer equipment is available, why the hell should we not use it?
                              COMING SOON...

Comment

Working...
                              X