PDA

View Full Version : Best Bills Team Ever: 1990

madness
07-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Best Bills Team Ever: 1990 (http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/14751/best-bills-team-ever-1990)
Notable players: QB Jim Kelly, RB Thurman Thomas, WR Andre Reed, WR James Lofton, C Kent Hull, DE Bruce Smith, OLB Cornelius Bennett, OLB Darryl Talley, ILB Shane Conlan, CB Nate Odomes, ST Steve Tasker.
http://www.billszone.com/mt/images/newsicons/bills.gif ESPN/Tim Graham | Posted at 11:50 AM

Beebe's Kid
07-01-2010, 11:49 AM
We were amazing back then...top tier offense, top tier defense. Man, it will be nice if we can ever reclaim some of the glory!!

OpIv37
07-01-2010, 12:31 PM
That should have been our year..... regardless, I still miss those days.

Zero
07-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Ive heard before that Marv underachieved with this probowl-laden team. Much like Davy Johnson did with the Mets in '80's (although he was fortunate to win a WS), this team was made to win multiple championships and yet came up empty. Player for player we were just as good if not better then many of the superbowl winners of that era IMHO.

FlyingDutchman
07-01-2010, 01:52 PM
That should have been our year..... regardless, I still miss those days.

yep, sure was. all the other years we lost to a better team

k-oneputt
07-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Levy was the weakness of those teams. Most overrated HOF coach of all time. Was outcoached in every Super Bowl.

Night Train
07-01-2010, 02:28 PM
They were the most exciting team to watch by a mile because the offense was never better.

Best team ? The Bills 1965 Championship team went on the road to play high scoring San Diego and shut them out 23-0. Far better Defense than the 1990 team. Something to think about.

When I think of the 1985 Bears, The 2000 Ravens, the great Steeler teams...It's the D that comes to mind. I rarely think of high flying Offensive teams among the greatest of all time.

madness
07-01-2010, 03:03 PM
They were the most exciting team to watch by a mile because the offense was never better.

Best team ? The Bills 1965 Championship team went on the road to play high scoring San Diego and shut them out 23-0. Far better Defense than the 1990 team. Something to think about.

When I think of the 1985 Bears, The 2000 Ravens, the great Steeler teams...It's the D that comes to mind. I rarely think of high flying Offensive teams among the greatest of all time.

Honorable mention

1964: The Bills won their first of back-to-back AFL championships with a squad that ranked first in total offense and defense. They outscored opponents by an average of 11 points a game.

1991: The Bills rebounded from their "Wide Right" heartbreak, repeating their 13-3 record and reaching the Super Bowl again. They scored at least 34 points nine times.

1993: Buffalo won the AFC championship a fourth straight time. The offense ranked sixth in total yards, while the defense ranked fifth in yards allowed and had a league-high 47 takeaways.

Johnny Bugmenot
07-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I tend to favor the 1964-65 squads-- at least they won a championship. Now, it would've really been nice to have seen the Bills take on the Packers one of those years and see how the two would've stacked up. (Probably would've lost, considering there was still a bit of a disparity, but a guy can dream, can't he?)

Buddo
07-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Back then the NFC was the powerhouse conference. In that era, the Bills were the only team who took them all on, and beat just about everyone in the regular seasons, including the teams who they lost to in the SBs, and also some of the other SB winners of that time. - e.g. the 49ers in the 'no punt' game.
I think they are the only team who could really be called a 'dynasty', without the crowning glory of a SB win tbh.

Bling
07-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Back then the NFC was the powerhouse conference. In that era, the Bills were the only team who took them all on, and beat just about everyone in the regular seasons, including the teams who they lost to in the SBs, and also some of the other SB winners of that time. - e.g. the 49ers in the 'no punt' game.
I think they are the only team who could really be called a 'dynasty', without the crowning glory of a SB win tbh.

No such thing.

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-03-2010, 10:04 PM
If only there were some tackles made. If only a kick would have gone in. IF, IF, IF, RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Tbuffalobills
07-04-2010, 12:33 AM
If they would have won- You would see them on every top 10 list of greatest teams ever....

Jan Reimers
07-04-2010, 07:44 AM
Our D was a little small, and got overwhelmed by the bigger NFC O-lines. Even in the Giants' game, which we should have won, Ottis Anderson had a field day running against us.

I guess Marv could never see that our quick strike offense left our D on the field too long, and exposed our weaknesses.

SabreEleven
07-04-2010, 09:50 AM
If only there were some tackles made. If only a kick would have gone in. IF, IF, IF, RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

It should have never came down to the kick.

The Bills should have won the 1st and 4th Superbowl game they were in. They had the better team both times and got out coached.

Syderick
07-04-2010, 10:36 AM
According to this article of best teams not to win the superbowl:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d818f259b/article/were-coryells-chargers-best-team-not-to-win-the-super-bowl

1990 Buffalo Bills (http://www.billszone.com/teams/buffalobills/profile?team=BUF): A little too gimmicky.

Ginger Vitis
07-04-2010, 10:36 AM
If they would have won- You would see them on every top 10 list of greatest teams ever....

If the Bills had won Sb 25 by at least 10 points you could probably make that argument..There point differential during the regular season was 165 points and there +- turnovers was +14 which is slightly better than the teams this guy has as #12, #11,#10.. The Cowboy team that won SB27 is #9 on this guys list and statistically the 1990 Bills and 1992 Cowboys are almost dead even.. Again to sneak into the Top 10 the 1990 Bills would have had to have beaten the Giants soundly...

http://blackenheimer.com/greatest_nfl_teams

Ingtar33
07-04-2010, 12:59 PM
I think the 1991 team was better... statistically they weren't due to injuries crushing the defense... but i think it was a better football team.

the problem the bills had in 1991, was they played an amazing redskins team. I knew heading into that game it wouldn't be close. I wasn't surprised at all by the beat-down the skins administered.

the 1990 team should have won that superbowl. it was a superior team to the giants. it was the one superbowl we played a team clearly inferior to us. (the other three, we were outclassed... well we were outclassed in 2 of them. the 4th i knew we were the weaker team... but it wasn't as big a difference as it was the year before)

casdhf
07-04-2010, 07:57 PM
All these Marv haters are comical. He got us to the 4th Super Bowl single-handedly.