PDA

View Full Version : Toughness? Scoring? PP?

OpIv37
07-01-2010, 09:33 PM
So far, most of the big names in FA are already gone.

And the Sabres have managed to.... swap Tallinder and Lydman for Jordan Leopold (and maybe Kubina but nothing confirmed at the time of this post).

Who is going to fix the PP? Who is going to add the much needed scoring? Where are we going to get that toughness that we've been missing since the lockout?

Miller's stellar play covered up a lot of problems for this team, but they were exposed during the playoffs. With options running out, the Sabres have once again done NOTHING to address any of them.

I don't understand what the problem is. Are we so strapped for cash/cap space that we can't make any moves? Do Quinn and Darcy simply not see the problem?

Expect another season without playoffs.

Wolffman
07-01-2010, 09:35 PM
You're really going to freak out after free agency has been open for a little over 10 hours?

Give them a chance. If they haven't addressed these concerns in a week, then you have every right to be upset. Getting all hot and bothered now is stupid.

Everyone needs to take a breath.

Nighthawk
07-01-2010, 09:37 PM
The problem is not the spending of money, but the morons who run this team. They have no clue what the hell they are doing and do not know how to build a Championship team. These guys are losers and have a losers mentality.

RockStar36
07-02-2010, 07:50 AM
So far, most of the big names in FA are already gone.

And the Sabres have managed to.... swap Tallinder and Lydman for Jordan Leopold (and maybe Kubina but nothing confirmed at the time of this post).

Who is going to fix the PP? Who is going to add the much needed scoring? Where are we going to get that toughness that we've been missing since the lockout?

Miller's stellar play covered up a lot of problems for this team, but they were exposed during the playoffs. With options running out, the Sabres have once again done NOTHING to address any of them.

I don't understand what the problem is. Are we so strapped for cash/cap space that we can't make any moves? Do Quinn and Darcy simply not see the problem?

Expect another season without playoffs.

The bolded part is about as asinine as a comment can be.

hydro
07-02-2010, 07:55 AM

Very ignorant.

rbochan
07-02-2010, 08:32 AM

If by asinine, you mean pragmatic, then I agree.

OpIv37
07-02-2010, 08:33 AM
You're really going to freak out after free agency has been open for a little over 10 hours?

Give them a chance. If they haven't addressed these concerns in a week, then you have every right to be upset. Getting all hot and bothered now is stupid.

Give them a chance?

Who is left that could solve any of those problems? Give me names and then I'll back off. But by my observation, all of the guys who could help with those issues are already off the table.

OpIv37
07-02-2010, 08:35 AM

How so? Our D is less experienced, our O and PP are no better than they were, other teams in our conference have improved. We're not going to be able to ride Miller to a division win again.

RockStar36
07-02-2010, 08:40 AM
Give them a chance?

Who is left that could solve any of those problems? Give me names and then I'll back off. But by my observation, all of the guys who could help with those issues are already off the table.
They could sign Kubina.

Then again, the PP d-man might be a guy coming up for Portland. Honestly, do any of us know the answer to that. I really don't know a whole lot of what goes on in Portland and I would assume the same for most of us around here.

As for forwards. Matthew Lombardi and Bill Guerin are both still available and both would be good additions.

Of course, I have no knowledge that either are even being pursued by Buffalo, but they are there.

Edit: Guess not on Kubina.

RockStar36
07-02-2010, 08:41 AM
How so? Our D is less experienced, our O and PP are no better than they were, other teams in our conference have improved. We're not going to be able to ride Miller to a division win again.

Again...I will agree with all of this if the current roster is the roster hitting the ice on opening night. I'm not going to get wound up on July 2nd about it.

OpIv37
07-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Again...I will agree with all of this if the current roster is the roster hitting the ice on opening night. I'm not going to get wound up on July 2nd about it.

And this is where your logic fails: where are these magical roster additions going to come from?

Portland? How well are they going to do with a bunch of rookies? That may be the solution in the future but it won't help in the short term.

Trades? Other teams have been trading for a week already. Most of the guys on the trading block are already gone.

FA's? Again, all the big names are off the table.

Maybe you know something that I don't, but at this point I see very limited opportunities to change the current roster.

RockStar36
07-02-2010, 09:06 AM
And this is where your logic fails: where are these magical roster additions going to come from?

Portland? How well are they going to do with a bunch of rookies? That may be the solution in the future but it won't help in the short term.

Trades? Other teams have been trading for a week already. Most of the guys on the trading block are already gone.

FA's? Again, all the big names are off the table.

Maybe you know something that I don't, but at this point I see very limited opportunities to change the current roster.

What is this fascination with 'big names'?

It's like, if I haven't heard of him, he sucks. I don't get that line of thinking.

There are still plenty of people available in FA and trades. Free agency is a whopping 22 hours old.

OpIv37
07-02-2010, 09:13 AM

It's like, if I haven't heard of him, he sucks. I don't get that line of thinking.

There are still plenty of people available in FA and trades. Free agency is a whopping 22 hours old.

That's not the mentality at all. Like I just said in another thread, we need upgrades, not just change. Most of the people in this thread follow hockey more than your average person.

This team needs more scoring and a better PP, not just different names who are equal to or worse than the guys we already have. If we don't improve in those areas, we'll have the same mediocre results we've had the last 3 years.

So, who are these 25-30 goal scorers and PP QB types lurking in FA that none of us have ever heard of?

Nighthawk
07-02-2010, 09:18 AM

It's not about "big" names....it's about going after proven players who have produced in this league. We NEVER do that, it's like they think they're above that, but the funny thing is...they have never won a damn thing doing things their way. Quinn and Regier are two of the dumber individuals in hockey.

RockStar36
07-02-2010, 09:28 AM
That's not the mentality at all. Like I just said in another thread, we need upgrades, not just change. Most of the people in this thread follow hockey more than your average person.

This team needs more scoring and a better PP, not just different names who are equal to or worse than the guys we already have. If we don't improve in those areas, we'll have the same mediocre results we've had the last 3 years.

So, who are these 25-30 goal scorers and PP QB types lurking in FA that none of us have ever heard of?

Maybe not your mentality, but that is most certainly the mentality of many Sabre fans.

The reaction to Leopold yesterday was hilarious.

"Who is this guy, I've never heard of him"

"OMG HE SUCKS!!"

RockStar36
07-02-2010, 09:30 AM

Kaberle is still available for trade.

I believe Colaiacovo and Corvo are still available on D. Although I will say I think they are done on D unless they grabbed someone like Kaberle in a trade.

For forwards, Frolov, Lombardi, Guerin are all still available.

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-02-2010, 09:32 AM

Alright dude, enough with the "it has only been so and so hours". It hasn't been 10 hours. It has been three years. Should we wait 24 - 48 hours to realize this front office doesn't have a clue of what they are doing?

OpIv37
07-02-2010, 09:33 AM
I've heard of all those guys except Frolov, so they must be big names and we can't sign them.

And while I think Kaberle will help, I hate trades within the division.

RockStar36
07-02-2010, 09:37 AM
I've heard of all those guys except Frolov, so they must be big names and we can't sign them.

And while I think Kaberle will help, I hate trades within the division.

Yes, but imagine if Connolly and/or Stafford were involved in the trade. I'd sign up for that any day.

Wolffman
07-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Give them a chance?

There are things called trades.

OpIv37
07-02-2010, 12:04 PM

oh, did you not notice all the trades that happened at the beginning of the week? And even yesterday? Most of the good players on the trading block have already been traded as well.

RockStar36
07-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Kaberle is the only player that has been on the block that I ever wanted the Sabres to go after and he's still there.

Granted that won't happen, just saying.

Nighthawk
07-02-2010, 12:11 PM

There are things called Championships and Buffalo does neither.