PDA

View Full Version : Darcy and Tom G. must Go

darthokeefe
07-01-2010, 10:54 PM
These guys just suck...no committment...lose two average d and replace with one journeyman injury prone dman worse than what we had yesterday...again the Sabres drop the ball with a good team that will NEVER BE GREAT UNTILL THE FRONT OFFICE GOES...WAY TO UNDERWHELM US AGAIN DARCY..........How about something to energize the fan base cuz your suckky team building has lead to NOTHING, time to change it up

trapezeus
07-01-2010, 11:03 PM
you're clearly forgetting about the all girl's street hockey game. That was the excitement from the arena.

Wolffman
07-01-2010, 11:11 PM
These guys just suck...no committment...lose two average d and replace with one journeyman injury prone dman worse than what we had yesterday...again the Sabres drop the ball with a good team that will NEVER BE GREAT UNTILL THE FRONT OFFICE GOES...WAY TO UNDERWHELM US AGAIN DARCY..........How about something to energize the fan base cuz your suckky team building has lead to NOTHING, time to change it up

Dude, give them a little more time than 12 hours.

Not like it's going to make a difference. Unless they get Kovy they suck, right?

Ask the Leafs, Rangers, San Jose, and the Islanders how it usually turns out when teams go for the big name guy in free agency and trades.

Now, stay with me here... ask the Penguins, Red Wings, and New Jersey how they like their strategy of building through the draft. They'll show you their multiple rings and laugh.

Point is: the strategy employed by the Sabres is a more proven method of building a championship team. Also notice how those teams I mentioned are year in and year out playoff teams.

Wolffman
07-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Oh, and you do know that "Tom G." owns the team right? You can't get rid of him. Actually, we may not have a team if it wasn't for him. They could have been the Hamilton Sabres.

DMBcrew36
07-02-2010, 12:07 AM

Not like it's going to make a difference. Unless they get Kovy they suck, right?

Ask the Leafs, Rangers, San Jose, and the Islanders how it usually turns out when teams go for the big name guy in free agency and trades.

Now, stay with me here... ask the Penguins, Red Wings, and New Jersey how they like their strategy of building through the draft. They'll show you their multiple rings and laugh.

Point is: the strategy employed by the Sabres is a more proven method of building a championship team. Also notice how those teams I mentioned are year in and year out playoff teams.

Seriously.

Johnny Bugmenot
07-02-2010, 06:25 AM
You're forgetting the Puppet Master... Larry Quinn-- the man Golisano has left in charge of the team and is above Regier.

rbochan
07-02-2010, 07:45 AM
...Point is: the strategy employed by the Sabres is a more proven method of building a championship team. Also notice how those teams I mentioned are year in and year out playoff teams.

Oh! I see it now!
The Sabres are on a 40 year plan of action!

:brilliant:

THATHURMANATOR
07-02-2010, 07:50 AM
Plus Leopold is just as good as either guy we lost if not more suited to what we actually need.

We have so many defensemen in rochester.

Philagape
07-02-2010, 07:53 AM
They should have been gone three years ago. The results since then bear that out.

This is your team, Buffalo.

Philagape
07-02-2010, 07:54 AM

Since the Sabres' core became mostly drafted three years ago, the results have been no playoffs, no playoffs, and didn't belong in the playoffs.

THATHURMANATOR
07-02-2010, 08:00 AM
They should have been gone three years ago. The results since then bear that out.

Yeah they should fire the owner..... What the **** are you talking about? The guy owns the team. Should you be fired from living in your house because you don't mow the lawn enough? You aren't making sense.

THATHURMANATOR
07-02-2010, 08:01 AM
You're forgetting the Puppet Master... Larry Quinn-- the man Golisano has left in charge of the team and is above Regier.
How could we this same discussion pops up every month or so. WE GET IT...

I don't even disagree that these guys don't do what it takes to put the team over the top but whining about it on a message board does nothing.

Philagape
07-02-2010, 08:03 AM
Yeah they should fire the owner..... What the **** are you talking about? The guy owns the team. Should you be fired from living in your house because you don't mow the lawn enough? You aren't making sense.

"They" meaning the actual decision-makers. Notice you didn't disagree with that. :up:

Philagape
07-02-2010, 08:06 AM
How could we this same discussion pops up every month or so. WE GET IT...

I don't even disagree that these guys don't do what it takes to put the team over the top but whining about it on a message board does nothing.

Just like whining about the whining does nothing. The whining will never, ever go away until the results warrant it.

trapezeus
07-02-2010, 08:11 AM
i think people get a couple times a year to be really frustrated. when the sabres get eliminated, when we lose players and when we sign no one.

The problem with the draft is that the sabres built for a small fast league, and the NHL screwed us...So now they are building for a bigger chippier league... by the time we get 1 year of success with our drafting, we're going to have the refs ask for faster quicker games.

We are destined for frustration.

RockStar36
07-02-2010, 08:11 AM
If people seriously hate the owner and the front office that much, just stop rooting for the team and move on. It's really that simple.

Philagape
07-02-2010, 08:19 AM
If people seriously hate the owner and the front office that much, just stop rooting for the team and move on. It's really that simple.

The team and the front office are not the same thing.
The front office is a threat to the team.
Therefore I hate the front office BECAUSE I love the team.

Nighthawk
07-02-2010, 09:20 AM

Now stay with me here....has "their way" ever worked? Umm, no...you lose, now stop posting like Darcy knows what he is doing...you make yourself sound ignorant.

THATHURMANATOR
07-02-2010, 09:22 AM
"They" meaning the actual decision-makers. Notice you didn't disagree with that. :up:
Well Tom G was specifically mentioned.

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-02-2010, 09:26 AM

Let's look at that for a second. The Red Wings, Penguins, and Devils have front offices that are respected in the NHL. Ken Holland has to be considered one of the best GMs in the game. They draft players that go on to be stars. Granted the Penguins were bad enough to grab two of the best players in the game ("lucky" to get Crosby in the fact that the NHL rigged that draft lottery). The Sabres have a real estate guy, and wimp in a GM, and I can't see any respect from anyone outside the front offices of HSBC. Besides the fact that those teams also used free agency to build their teams with the draft. You can't just rely on the draft to build a hockey team. If that is your thinking, you are going to be waiting a long time before this organization has any success in the Stanley Cup.

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-02-2010, 09:29 AM

It's not the name on the back, but the logo on the front.

I get the fact that people are fed up the status quo, heck, I am beginning to get sick of this organization and how they go about their business. You don't have to criticize fans for being upset, if you like the way things are, then it is all good for you.

Wolffman
07-02-2010, 10:59 AM
has "their way" ever worked? Umm, no...you lose

ask the Penguins, Red Wings, and New Jersey how they like their strategy of building through the draft. They'll show you their multiple rings and laugh.

Wolffman
07-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Let's look at that for a second. The Red Wings, Penguins, and Devils have front offices that are respected in the NHL. Ken Holland has to be considered one of the best GMs in the game. They draft players that go on to be stars. Granted the Penguins were bad enough to grab two of the best players in the game ("lucky" to get Crosby in the fact that the NHL rigged that draft lottery). The Sabres have a real estate guy, and wimp in a GM, and I can't see any respect from anyone outside the front offices of HSBC. Besides the fact that those teams also used free agency to build their teams with the draft. You can't just rely on the draft to build a hockey team. If that is your thinking, you are going to be waiting a long time before this organization has any success in the Stanley Cup.

Obviously you can't JUST rely on the draft, but you can to create your team's nucleus.

Regier isn't respected? Show me one legitimate source that has ever said that. He drafted a Vezina winner in the 6th round. Picked a future all-star defender late first round. Those are pretty good draft picks.

ddaryl
07-02-2010, 11:04 AM

No it's not.... The Sabres are in my blood and if I leave I leave watching pro hockey all together. You don'tchange alliegences after 30+++ years of being a fan of the Sabres.

I'm not going anywhere, but I demand a team that will win a championship in convincing fashion...and we had that team a few years back but the ******s dismantled it much quicker then they assembeled it.

Wolffman
07-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Since the Sabres' core became mostly drafted three years ago, the results have been no playoffs, no playoffs, and didn't belong in the playoffs.

That's what happens when you lose your two captains and create a leadership vacuum. Relying on a bunch of sub-25 year old guys to make a playoff run is tough.

Unlike a video game, in real life, you need to give players time to create their own identity and establish themselves as leaders. I do agree it has been a slow process with guys like Roy and Pominville not quite meeting expectations, but you can't throw in the towel. They won the division last year. That's a good accomplishment. Now they just have to build on that.

RockStar36
07-02-2010, 11:07 AM
No it's not.... The Sabres are in my blood and if I leave I leave watching pro hockey all together. You don'tchange alliegences after 30+++ years of being a fan of the Sabres.

I'm not going anywhere, but I demand a team that will win a championship in convincing fashion...and we had that team a few years back but the ******s dismantled it much quicker then they assembeled it.

The team a few years back was never going to win the Cup. That is why it was dismantled and their plan was to re-build with their own younger core.

Obviously that hasn't quite worked out, but let's not pretend like they had a Cup winning team here. That President's Trophy winning team was a lot of smoke and mirrors.

SabreEleven
07-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Obviously you can't JUST rely on the draft, but you can to create your team's nucleus.

Regier isn't respected? Show me one legitimate source that has ever said that. He drafted a Vezina winner in the 6th round. Picked a future all-star defender late first round. Those are pretty good draft picks.

So he made 2 good draft picks and that makes him an expert? Should we list the draft busts compared to the ones that panned out?

RockStar36
07-02-2010, 11:30 AM
So he made 2 good draft picks and that makes him an expert? Should we list the draft busts compared to the ones that panned out?

I have no clue if there are most busts, but let's not pretend like he's only made 2 good picks.

trapezeus
07-02-2010, 11:31 AM
the 06 team should have won, but the curse of the broken defensemen killed us. They were the perfect blend of veteran (but not old) and young (but not stupid). they had a real passion that was unquantifiable.

They needed a grier player in the 07 run who they let go. zubrius was a good pick up, but they missed a 2006 mckee on defense as well.

The problem now is that we aren't really doing so hot with the drafts. we get one or two guys who we think are good like myers and ellis, the rest are kinda not making the transition. and if you look back, it can be traced back to their switch from on site scouting to video scouting. People predicted that this would be an issue.

you can build through the draft, but you got to get it right. because you wait for players to develop. Very few are immediately good. you get a couple wrong and it literally means you have to wait even longer for the new draft picks to develop.

RockStar36
07-02-2010, 11:33 AM
the 06 team should have won, but the curse of the broken defensemen killed us. They were the perfect blend of veteran (but not old) and young (but not stupid). they had a real passion that was unquantifiable.

They needed a grier player in the 07 run who they let go. zubrius was a good pick up, but they missed a 2006 mckee on defense as well.

The problem now is that we aren't really doing so hot with the drafts. we get one or two guys who we think are good like myers and ellis, the rest are kinda not making the transition. and if you look back, it can be traced back to their switch from on site scouting to video scouting. People predicted that this would be an issue.

you can build through the draft, but you got to get it right. because you wait for players to develop. Very few are immediately good. you get a couple wrong and it literally means you have to wait even longer for the new draft picks to develop.

Who have they gotten wrong? Maybe I'm out of line on this because I don't watch Portland games, but I have never thought once that the Sabres drafting is terrible. If anything, I like what they do in the draft almost consistently.

SabreEleven
07-02-2010, 11:37 AM
I have no clue if there are most busts, but let's not pretend like he's only made 2 good picks.

My point was that he wants to put him in the HOF for drafting Miller and Myers.

RockStar36
07-02-2010, 11:39 AM
My point was that he wants to put him in the HOF for drafting Miller and Myers.

Well that is extreme.

But so is calling him a moron.

Wolffman
07-02-2010, 11:41 AM
But so is calling him a moron.

Right. I'm trying to disprove the idea that no one respects him and that he has no idea what he's doing.

trapezeus
07-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Who have they gotten wrong? Maybe I'm out of line on this because I don't watch Portland games, but I have never thought once that the Sabres drafting is terrible. If anything, I like what they do in the draft almost consistently.

I'm blanking on the names, but for the roys and vaneks, we've had midlevel guys that could put us over the hump or have the grit we want, not pan out. Zagrapan comes to mind. There are others.

I think in thelate 90's up to the switch to video scouting, they were good. They got it right. Then we picked early and got some good players but got some bad ones. and then with their holes, they want to address it through the draft, but they don't have the answer in the farm system.

like a powerplay defensemen, isn't in portland. The idea is to have a really good guy who can groom a young guy. But bringing up a young guy and just hoping, is bad form. We don't really see any gritty forwards who can bang all day and score on occassion.

Those, to me, are the biggest needs of the team. Also, Enroth should have shown more last year in his time here to make the team and be the backup.

Johnny Bugmenot
07-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Municipalities do it all the time. It's called eviction.

JD
07-02-2010, 11:52 AM
The team a few years back was never going to win the Cup. That is why it was dismantled and their plan was to re-build with their own younger core.

Obviously that hasn't quite worked out, but let's not pretend like they had a Cup winning team here. That President's Trophy winning team was a lot of smoke and mirrors.
We had four ahl defensemen in a game 7 vs. Carolina. That team was it right there.

RockStar36
07-02-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm blanking on the names, but for the roys and vaneks, we've had midlevel guys that could put us over the hump or have the grit we want, not pan out. Zagrapan comes to mind. There are others.

I think in thelate 90's up to the switch to video scouting, they were good. They got it right. Then we picked early and got some good players but got some bad ones. and then with their holes, they want to address it through the draft, but they don't have the answer in the farm system.

like a powerplay defensemen, isn't in portland. The idea is to have a really good guy who can groom a young guy. But bringing up a young guy and just hoping, is bad form. We don't really see any gritty forwards who can bang all day and score on occassion.

Those, to me, are the biggest needs of the team. Also, Enroth should have shown more last year in his time here to make the team and be the backup.

Again, no idea on Portland. He might be there, but I don't know and neither do you. I'll have to trust the Sabres on that.

As for Enroth...seriously? He had one game where he was thrown in on a back to back for the Sabres where they played like hell in front of him. That's what we're judging him on?

RockStar36
07-02-2010, 12:08 PM
We had four ahl defensemen in a game 7 vs. Carolina. That team was it right there.

I agree about that team. The year after, not so much.

trapezeus
07-02-2010, 12:09 PM
he didn't take the position in camp, and apparently, they aren't publically saying he's ready yet.

point is, their call ups are big question marks. there aren't too many players other than ennis to come up. they are gambling that they got this right the way it is, they are sticking with players who were largely ineffective at the most important time of the year (connolly, stafford, roy). You can't get rid of all of them, but you can move one of them to show that you hold people accountable.

The fron office just wants you to pay your ticket price and pray like them that this works out. good teams don't do that. they have an idea of what they want, they get it through draft and piecing in through trades and free agency and expect better.

I get the sense if the sabres win their division again, and go out in the first round, they'll still say their close, but still pass on improving. it's maddening. you wouldn't let your kid get away with this wishy washy answers, so why do the sabres get a pass?

RockStar36
07-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Ok. I feel like I'm repeating myself here.

Did Enroth directly compete with Lalime in camp last year? I don't remember this happening. If it did and he won, what would the Sabres do with Lalime? Eat the money?

Fast forward to this season. Another year of experience under his belt, maybe he's ready this year.

I find this conversation hilarious seeing YOU were the person calling for Enroth to be the guy like 3 weeks ago.

Nighthawk
07-02-2010, 12:20 PM
ALL OF THOSE TEAMS ADD THE MISSING PIECES THROUGH FA OR TRADES, IF NEEDED! THIS ORGANIZATION NEVER DOES THE THINGS NECESSARY TO WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS...NEVER!

Wolffman
07-02-2010, 12:25 PM
ALL OF THOSE TEAMS ADD THE MISSING PIECES THROUGH FA OR TRADES, IF NEEDED! THIS ORGANIZATION NEVER DOES THE THINGS NECESSARY TO WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS...NEVER!

Alright smartass, I'll bite.

Why don't you tell us what you would do if you were the Sabres GM last season and so far this offseason. What would you have done to add those missing pieces?

Nighthawk
07-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Alright smartass, I'll bite.

Why don't you tell us what you would do if you were the Sabres GM last season and so far this offseason. What would you have done to add those missing pieces?

Trade away Connolly and get Kaberle back...just get it done...it can be done. Also, go get Savard, if he truly is on the block...he is a player who plays hard all the time and produce points an elite level. Right there your team is 1000% better.

Wolffman
07-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Trade away Connolly and get Kaberle back...just get it done...it can be done. Also, go get Savard, if he truly is on the block...he is a player who plays hard all the time and produce points an elite level. Right there your team is 1000% better.

You REALLY think the Leafs are going to give us Kaberle for Conolly straight up?

Who are we going to give to get Savard?

Both of these teams are in our division, making a deal that much more unlikely. Your "solutions" are unreasonable and unrealistic.

Nighthawk
07-02-2010, 12:39 PM
You REALLY think the Leafs are going to give us Kaberle for Conolly straight up?

Who are we going to give to get Savard?

Both of these teams are in our division, making a deal that much more unlikely. Your "solutions" are unreasonable and unrealistic.

Why is it that the Sabres always have excuses why they CAN'T makes something happen, but the teams that really go all out for the Cup seem to have no problem getting deals done? Think about that for awhile.

Wolffman
07-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Why is it that the Sabres always have excuses why they CAN'T makes something happen, but the teams that really go all out for the Cup seem to have no problem getting deals done? Think about that for awhile.

Teams that make deals like you describe end up like the Leafs and Rangers.

Nighthawk
07-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Teams that make deals like you describe end up like the Leafs and Rangers.

You're really ignorant when it come to the sport of hockey...

Wolffman
07-02-2010, 12:49 PM

Really? You're the one who thinks it's reasonable to trade for Kaberle (for Conolly straight up no less) and Savard in the same offseason.

Give me an example of a team making such big time moves then being successful for consecutive years.

Nighthawk
07-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Really? You're the one who thinks it's reasonable to trade for Kaberle (for Conolly straight up no less) and Savard in the same offseason.

Give me an example of a team making such big time moves then being successful for consecutive years.

No, I think that you could get a package together to get Kaberle and yes, Connolly could be part of that. The Bruins not only want to move Savard, but they want to get rid of the salary. You asked me what I would try to do...I answered your question.

RockStar36
07-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Connolly/Stafford/draft pick for Kaberle.

I have no idea what to give up for Savard. I'd say Pominville but Boston can't take on more salary than they are giving up.

Wolffman
07-02-2010, 12:57 PM
No, I think that you could get a package together to get Kaberle and yes, Connolly could be part of that. The Bruins not only want to move Savard, but they want to get rid of the salary. You asked me what I would try to do...I answered your question.

Still waiting for that example.

Nighthawk
07-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Still waiting for that example.

Still waiting for you to show any sign that you know what you're talking about.

Nighthawk
07-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Connolly/Stafford/draft pick for Kaberle.

I have no idea what to give up for Savard. I'd say Pominville but Boston can't take on more salary than they are giving up.

It's doable...Darcy just doesn't want to do it.

Wolffman
07-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Still waiting for you to show any sign that you know what you're talking about.

So I just proved you wrong, as you can't back up any of your points. Until you can, I suggest you stop questioning my "hockey knowlege" and work on your own.

RockStar36
07-02-2010, 01:02 PM
It's doable...Darcy just doesn't want to do it.

Well, it takes two to make a deal.

If you were Brian Burke, would you make that deal?

DMBcrew36
07-02-2010, 01:22 PM

What was the highest level puck you played nighthawk?

Nighthawk
07-02-2010, 01:49 PM
What was the highest level puck you played nighthawk?

Played throught High School...then just the average joe after that. Wasn't big enough or talented enough to go higher. Could score and played aggressive, but there are so many talented players out there who were better then I was.

Why?

Nighthawk
07-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Well, it takes two to make a deal.

If you were Brian Burke, would you make that deal?

Like you said, you have to make it worth while for him to take somebody like Connolly off your hands. Deals can get done, all this talk that Darcy is the only GM who just can't get a partner is just excuses. I can see happening one year, but every year this is this guy's excuse...it starts to ring hollow after awhile.

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-02-2010, 02:55 PM

Show me one legitimate source that shows he is respected. I get it, that is like my opinion man. I believe the guy isn't respected and I believe that he can't get other GMs to trade with him. I think I have said that the organization has picked some good draft picks. Myers was the 12th pick, he wasn't late. Miller is like other college players, you take a shot and you get lucky. You can go through the list of GMs in this league that have made later draft picks that turn out to be good players.

Mr. Pink
07-02-2010, 03:17 PM
I've said it many times...

This team won't win a thing with the 3 clowns in charge...

Regier, Quinn and Ruff all need to go.

Other organizations after a decade of mediocrity sprinkled in with what should have been 2 cup runs make changes and try to go in a different direction. Here, they stay status quo with something that obviously isn't good enough to reach the ultimate goal.

DMBcrew36
07-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Played throught High School...then just the average joe after that. Wasn't big enough or talented enough to go higher. Could score and played aggressive, but there are so many talented players out there who were better then I was.

Why?

Just don't see how you're tellin people they dont know **** about hockey cause they don't want to hate everything the Sabres do, like you do

tampabay25690
07-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Why is everyone *****ING.
This team is on the right direction...

How do any of YOU KNOW that the Sabres aren't doing more???

I know for a 150%%% that they are trying to make deals and bolster this team....

PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE.................They will not give up the farm for 1 player....

Nighthawk
07-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Just don't see how you're tellin people they dont know **** about hockey cause they don't want to hate everything the Sabres do, like you do

A person doesn't need to be a professional hockey player to know hockey. It's pretty obvious from a conversation if a person knows the game or not.

I'm not understanding your point? Oh, or are you one of those people who don't believe anybody knows anything unless they played hockey to the level that you did? Yeah, now that is stupid talk.

Nighthawk
07-02-2010, 10:44 PM

I know for a 150%%% that they are trying to make deals and bolster this team....

PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE.................They will not give up the farm for 1 player....

No offense, but how do you know they are?

DMBcrew36
07-02-2010, 10:54 PM
A person doesn't need to be a professional hockey player to know hockey. It's pretty obvious from a conversation if a person knows the game or not.

I'm not understanding your point? Oh, or are you one of those people who don't believe anybody knows anything unless they played hockey to the level that you did? Yeah, now that is stupid talk.

It certainly helps to play and be surrounded by the game your whole life.

But I'm just curious about what seems like an elitist attitude surrounding your disliking of the Sabres management/ownership, and certainly towards anyone who disagrees with you on here about the Sabres/hockey.

Nighthawk
07-02-2010, 11:17 PM
It certainly helps to play the game your whole life.

But I'm just curious about what seems like an elitists attitude surrounding your disliking of the Sabres management/ownership, and certainly with anyone who disagrees with you on here about the Sabres/hockey.

No, anybody who believes that somehow the Sabres will magically change their ways, is somebody who obviously is living in another world. Also, anybody who believes that upgrades are not needed to make this team a championship team, is fooling themselves. It's the constant excuses that people come up with to justify this team not making moves that pisses me off.

By the way, I have played the game my entire life...but again, that doesn't make a person more knowledgeable of what makes a winning franchise or a franchise more willing to do what it takes to win championships. Your premise is entirely foolish.

tampabay25690
07-03-2010, 07:23 AM
No offense, but how do you know they are?

Im the same guy that told everyone that Vanek would be out a week when the media said could be months just put it that way..........This was in the 1st 2 weeks of the season....
I have a very good Friend that works with the Sabres...
I usually find things out fast if I text him...
We just spoke about FA and what the Sabres were looking for...
Don't believe everything you hear in the media or if Darcy speaks.....
They are looking to make this team better but we all know $$$ is always an issue and they always have to be careful...

DMBcrew36
07-03-2010, 08:35 AM
No, anybody who believes that somehow the Sabres will magically change their ways, is somebody who obviously is living in another world. Also, anybody who believes that upgrades are not needed to make this team a championship team, is fooling themselves. It's the constant excuses that people come up with to justify this team not making moves that pisses me off.

By the way, I have played the game my entire life...but again, that doesn't make a person more knowledgeable of what makes a winning franchise or a franchise more willing to do what it takes to win championships. Your premise is entirely foolish.

From the front office standpoint - no, you certainly don't need to play the game to be able to guage issues. But as far as understanding the nuances of what they're watching during a game, people who play know much more.

rbochan
07-03-2010, 08:40 AM

The fact that both Stafford AND Connolly are still on this team says it all.

Nighthawk
07-03-2010, 10:05 AM
From the front office standpoint - no, you certainly don't need to play the game to be able to guage issues. But as far as understanding the nuances of what they're watching during a game, people who play know much more.

I can agree with this...

SkateZilla
07-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Darcy's "Lets not talk till the offseason" is why alot of our players dont get extensions/resigns/qualifying offers and they all bolt through Free Agency.

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Sorry tampabay25690, but this team is worse than it was on June 30. You can say to have patience all you want, but until this team does something, it is status quo as far as most fans are concerned. Darcy stated that they were going to be more aggressive when it came to this free agency and that they were going to change their thinking. Well so far they haven't.

Wolffman
07-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Sorry tampabay25690, but this team is worse than it was on June 30. You can say to have patience all you want, but until this team does something, it is status quo as far as most fans are concerned. Darcy stated that they were going to be more aggressive when it came to this free agency and that they were going to change their thinking. Well so far they haven't.

I wouldn't call this team worse than on June 30th. Although I wouldn't call it better either.

Better than on April 26th? I'd say so.

Nighthawk
07-03-2010, 03:42 PM
I wouldn't call this team worse than on June 30th. Although I wouldn't call it better either.

Better than on April 26th? I'd say so.

How so?

tampabay25690
07-03-2010, 06:45 PM
The fact that both Stafford AND Connolly are still on this team says it all.

I agree 100%%

tampabay25690
07-03-2010, 07:15 PM

Well then we should just throw in the towel already.....
If you want to be on a free agent frenzy maybe you should be a RANGER fan they have GOBS of $$$$$ rolling in everyday and the SABRES don't. Lets face it Buffalo is a VERY small market team and they do what it takes to get a playoff type team on the ice.....
I don't agree with you at all thet we were better on June 30th. We lost in the 1st round because our big name players didn't show up.....If Vanek plays the whole series the SABRES win the 1st round and I will bet my paycheck on that......
The truth hurts and I think as Buffalo fans we finally have to realize the way of the world....SORRY....It always about $$$ in sports now and B-LO is not loaded with it....

You said DARCY stated...He can say what he wants he will do what is best for the team and the financials......By the way FA just tsarted.......I will agree the past few years they have made BAD decisions and that is known throughout the team as well......They knew Vanek wasn't worth $9 mill when Edmonton tried signing him...They had no choice and had to sign him or the fans would have probably started HSBC on fire.....Briere wanted to stay bad and the SABRES just didnt think he was worth what PHIL offered him and they are probably right....I do know DANNY wishes he stayed for less he luved B-Lo and so did his family...

Sorry to ramble on but yea we have to be patient at least we have a playoff caliber team and you never know what can happen when the playoffs start.....

I do wish Pominville, Connolly get moved IMO.....

TRUE story when the SBRES were down in Tampa this past season I was down in the locker room and had time to talk to LINDY I asked him sraight up why he played TIM KENNEDY....I said the guy just looks lost.....He explained to me about him being a center switching to the WING and Tim played 100%%% better after I asked LINDY that......

tampabay25690
07-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Darcy's "Lets not talk till the offseason" is why alot of our players dont get extensions/resigns/qualifying offers and they all bolt through Free Agency.

Im glad Tallinder is gone but did like Lydman

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Please don't come here and tell me to root for another team, I have been a fan of this team for 35 years. I have probably been a fan longer than you have been alive. Don't sit here and tell me that if I don't like something I should leave, that is pretty ridiculous.

This team lost two defensemen and signed one, they are worse than they were before July 1. It isn't rocket science here.

I don't care who you know or what inside info you have, this team has sat on it's hands for the past three seasons. It has sat and watched two of those as other teams got better and made necessary deals to put their team over the top. Let's not kid ourselves because the team won the division this season with a magical goalie and a solid rookie performance, prior to that they missed the playoffs.

Sorry if you don't like it, but I have lost all faith in this organization.

And you and Wolffman, please stop with the playoff caliber team.

1. If Ryan Miller gets hurt, they are not a playoff team.
2. I DON'T WANT JUST A PLAYOFF TEAM, I AIM HIGHER.

tampabay25690
07-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Please don't come here and tell me to root for another team, I have been a fan of this team for 35 years. I have probably been a fan longer than you have been alive. Don't sit here and tell me that if I don't like something I should leave, that is pretty ridiculous.

This team lost two defensemen and signed one, they are worse than they were before July 1. It isn't rocket science here.

I don't care who you know or what inside info you have, this team has sat on it's hands for the past three seasons. It has sat and watched two of those as other teams got better and made necessary deals to put their team over the top. Let's not kid ourselves because the team won the division this season with a magical goalie and a solid rookie performance, prior to that they missed the playoffs.

Sorry if you don't like it, but I have lost all faith in this organization.

And you and Wolffman, please stop with the playoff caliber team.

1. If Ryan Miller gets hurt, they are not a playoff team.
2. I DON'T WANT JUST A PLAYOFF TEAM, I AIM HIGHER.

You totally took it the wrong way and you are right you have been a fan longer then I have been born....
I was not attacking you at all but sometimes Buffalo fans are in a dream world....
We are a very small market team and the team can't afford to throw $$ away of FA thats why they build threw the farm team....
I was just stating if you want the Sabres to go out and sign a whole bunch of free agents thats not going to happen....
Simmer down and dont take it the wrong way at all....

If you are a Sabres fan you know who the other d man will probably be he is in Portland...
I dont think they are done, actually they definitely aren't done and they are probably trying to dump a guy or 2 on this roster now...

I will be honest PHILI was not the best team in the EAST and they played in the final.......
GO SABRES

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-03-2010, 08:46 PM
No I am not one to sit there and think they should be signing a ton of players and that will make them better. I think this organization is married to a core of players that I don't think are good enough. Last season we were told that they don't need to sign any free agents because Chris Butler was ready, he wasn't. Now it appears that they feel that another rookie will be able to step up and play, hopefully Weber is. Either way you look at it, Tallinder and Lydman were both solid veteran defensemen. From the way I see it, they replaced Lydman with Leopold, pound for pound the same player. They have not replaced the rookie of the years partner. Tallinder was a gamer last year and that cannot be replaced with a rookie. There are still a couple defensemen, one in Andy Sutton, that they can sign and he would take the place of Tallinder. They can then use the rookies to come up when needed. This team lacked scoring and toughness in the playoffs. I give them credit for going and getting Torres at the deadline and there was no way they could have known that he would have bombed the way he did. This team could use some scoring and some toughness, it can afford to let some of the players on their roster go. You also have to take into account that other teams in the conference have gotten better. This team needs a shot in the arm and a little tweaking and so far it hasn't done anything. I get it, there is still time, but that time runs out quickly.

I am sorry if I took it the wrong way, I am not a fan of someone telling another to go root for another team and that is what I thought you were trying to say. We all have the right to our opinion here.

SabreEleven
07-03-2010, 08:48 PM
The Sabres are heading in the right direction.....if this was 2006 cause the NHL is going in the other direction.

tampabay25690
07-03-2010, 08:56 PM
No I am not one to sit there and think they should be signing a ton of players and that will make them better. I think this organization is married to a core of players that I don't think are good enough. Last season we were told that they don't need to sign any free agents because Chris Butler was ready, he wasn't. Now it appears that they feel that another rookie will be able to step up and play, hopefully Weber is. Either way you look at it, Tallinder and Lydman were both solid veteran defensemen. From the way I see it, they replaced Lydman with Leopold, pound for pound the same player. They have not replaced the rookie of the years partner. Tallinder was a gamer last year and that cannot be replaced with a rookie. There are still a couple defensemen, one in Andy Sutton, that they can sign and he would take the place of Tallinder. They can then use the rookies to come up when needed. This team lacked scoring and toughness in the playoffs. I give them credit for going and getting Torres at the deadline and there was no way they could have known that he would have bombed the way he did. This team could use some scoring and some toughness, it can afford to let some of the players on their roster go. You also have to take into account that other teams in the conference have gotten better. This team needs a shot in the arm and a little tweaking and so far it hasn't done anything. I get it, there is still time, but that time runs out quickly.

I am sorry if I took it the wrong way, I am not a fan of someone telling another to go root for another team and that is what I thought you were trying to say. We all have the right to our opinion here.

It's all good..
I just get so upset sometimes the way some fans see the way of Buffalo teams....
To be honest we are lucky to have 2 Professional teams in a city that struggles to even keep jobs in the area....I luv Buffalo and I will always call it home.....
Going off topic a bit.....

The Torres thing to be honest when he came to Buffalo he was totally out of SABRES shape....They ran a different spread in Coulumbus thats why he was unactive a few games. He actually had to put in time after practice doing sprints to get ready for the way the Sabres play there game...

I do agree this team needs a shot in the arm and who knows if it will happen....
I think Tallinder looked good this year because of MYERS this guy is special.....
Lydman I do like though.......
Either way GO SABRES.......