PDA

View Full Version : Asst. GM Whaley embracing challenge with Bills

The Spaz
07-02-2010, 08:29 AM
It’s an undertaking that only those with enough self-confidence and belief in the people around them would accept. Beginning the process of pulling a Buffalo Bills franchise out of a decade long playoff drought might not seem all that appealing to some, but for Assistant GM and Director of Pro Personnel Doug Whaley it was a new challenge that was too enticing to pass up.

“It’s definitely a change,” Whaley told Buffalobills.com. “Change is sometimes uncomfortable, but sometimes necessary and I think it’s a good change. I’ve been in Pittsburgh a long time and this opportunity came up so I’m treating it as a challenge and new chapter in my life. It’s something where I can take what I’ve learned from my Pittsburgh roots and implement it here in Buffalo.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Asst-GM-Whaley-embracing-challenge-with-Bills/76e7c583-338d-45fd-9cc0-c7ca9a662dd5

justasportsfan
07-02-2010, 08:45 AM
He's probably being groomed to be Nix's replacement.

Draftboy, you should go apply as an intern.

Beebe's Kid
07-02-2010, 08:45 AM
Good read

madness
07-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Ten years later with two Super Bowl titles on his resume Whaley’s name became a popular one for NFL clubs looking to add an important piece to their front office. When presented with the opportunity in Buffalo, a lot of what Whaley heard from Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey reminded him of the Pittsburgh model he had come to embrace. “I think it’s very similar,” Whaley said. “I think it’s one of those things where there’s an emphasis on building through the draft and establishing a foundation. That’s how you can consistently compete for championships. I see that that’s what we’re doing here. We’re not trying to get a quick fix in free agency, not over drafting to force a square peg in a round hole when we can just get the best player available. You can never have too many good players even at one position.

“That’s why Buddy, Chan and I are on the same plane. It’s about getting good football players. People want to see good football players. They don’t want to come and see a stadium. They don’t want to come and see signs. They want to come and see good football players.”

But what has been most important to Whaley’s successful transition is the direction of the Bills franchise.

“I just see the blueprint being laid here that I’m comfortable with and used to and have subscribed to for the last 11 years,” he said. “Go out and get solid contributing veterans that can start and will be here for most of their contracts and draft the best players available. And that’s the recipe that once I heard that from Buddy and Chan I signed on and they haven’t deviated from that plan since they got here.

“If you can go out and find good football players and try to be as consistent as possible and you combine it with good coaching, which we have with Chan, then you have a chance. Are you going to go undefeated? No. But you’re always going to have a chance to be in each game. And that’s the main philosophy that I’ve picked up through all my years in football.”

This is what I like to hear. Some people think you turn around a team by reaching for draft picks just to fill a need and signing every high profile FA. That's all fine and dandy when you are a competitive team but it's not how you build one that's in it for the long haul.

better days
07-02-2010, 09:19 AM
I guess he hasn't heard, it's the same old front office as the last 10 years, with the same results expected by the fans. LOL.

ddaryl
07-02-2010, 09:32 AM
I like our new FO and coach Gailey... The more I read their interviews and how they seem to apporach things has me encouraged that were finally going to turn this turd around

BillsWin
07-02-2010, 09:40 AM
It's about time we get an article on our future GM.

Johnny Bugmenot
07-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Whaley worked under Director of Pro Personnel Charles Bailey and Director of College Personnel Tom Modrak. Sigh... a Modrak protege... more of the same.

trapezeus
07-02-2010, 11:49 AM
i like that he is getting a chance to be essentially groomed into the position. this reduces his need to be some wunderkind and can go about building the team right.

This might be one of those things that we look back at 5 years and say, "wow, thats when they finally started to get things right."

Or so i hope. i don't want to be like, "we just keep going to pittsburgh andw e come out with donahoes, mularkey's and whaley's"

Beebe's Kid
07-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Sigh... a Modrak protege... more of the same.

That's the spirit, Sunshine-Bear!!!

:violin:

djjimkelly
07-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Sigh... a Modrak protege... more of the same.

i dont think modrak has been the issue with the bills he has always had someone to answer to.

from dumahoe to levy to jauron. he built the eagles into what they were a few years back. i definately dont think he has been the issue here.

X-Era
07-02-2010, 12:06 PM
This is what I like to hear. Some people think you turn around a team by reaching for draft picks just to fill a need and signing every high profile FA. That's all fine and dandy when you are a competitive team but it's not how you build one that's in it for the long haul.
What stood out to me is this comment:

Solid contributing veterans that can start

That's a pretty clear indication that we have little intention on adding stars through free agency or trades.

He must have been looking the other way when Pitt had the likes of Hines Ward, Plax, Bettis, and Roeth. Faneca, Dawson, Kirkland, Porter, Woodley, Harrison, Hampton, Polamalu... but we just need solid vets that can start huh?

This mindset may not bode well for a team that is perpetually mediocre.

justasportsfan
07-02-2010, 12:42 PM

That's a pretty clear indication that we have little intention on adding stars through free agency or trades.

He must have been looking the other way when Pitt had the likes of Hines Ward, Plax, Bettis, and Roeth. Faneca, Dawson, Kirkland, Porter, Woodley, Harrison, Hampton, Polamalu... but we just need solid vets that can start huh?

when you cut the quote short, you take it out of context.

But what has been most important to Whaley’s successful transition is the direction of the Bills franchise.

“I just see the blueprint being laid here that I’m comfortable with and used to and have subscribed to for the last 11 years,” he said. “Go out and get solid contributing veterans that can start and will be here for most of their contracts and draft the best players available. And that’s the recipe that once I heard that from Buddy and Chan I signed on and they haven’t deviated from that plan since they got here.

X-Era
07-02-2010, 12:53 PM
when you cut the quote short, you take it out of context.
I dont see that its out of context at all. Whether they stay here their whole contracts or not, hes only looking for vets that can start. I think hes clearly saying they arent that interested in getting high profile players. It may be that he means they worry they will leave after their first contract, but it still seems clear they want second tier vets.

Put it this way, you wouldn't call a top free agent a "solid contributing vet who can start" would you?

psubills62
07-02-2010, 01:07 PM
I dont see that its out of context at all. Whether they stay here their whole contracts or not, hes only looking for vets that can start. I think hes clearly saying they arent that interested in getting high profile players. It may be that he means they worry they will leave after their first contract, but it still seems clear they want second tier vets.

Put it this way, you wouldn't call a top free agent a "solid contributing vet who can start" would you?

I think that's a good strategy as long as we 1) draft well, and 2) re-sign the stars that we develop from our draft picks. The veterans brought in from FA can help with leadership in the locker room, development of young draft picks, etc. Guys like Andra Davis, Dwan Edwards...guys that I think were good additions.

justasportsfan
07-02-2010, 01:19 PM

he was talking about the transition. Yes, they are looking for solid vets that can start while building their talent from within.

I am all for the way they are rebuilding this team instead of rebuilding with probowl players.Solid but not probowl players and develop players through the draft.

We tried bringing in probowl players under Donahoe and where are those players now?They didn't last long with this team .

Can't argue with the same blueprint that not only Pitts uses but Colts and Pats as well.

better days
07-02-2010, 01:21 PM
I think that's a good strategy as long as we 1) draft well, and 2) re-sign the stars that we develop from our draft picks. The veterans brought in from FA can help with leadership in the locker room, development of young draft picks, etc. Guys like Andra Davis, Dwan Edwards...guys that I think were good additions.

I agree, I would much rather resign stars the Bills drafted than a star like Haynsworth.

psubills62
07-02-2010, 01:28 PM
I agree, I would much rather resign stars the Bills drafted than a star like Haynsworth.
Exactly. Honestly, I'm not sure how much people talk about it, but how often do guys switch teams in free agency and end up being worth what they were paid? The only guys I can think of off the top of my head are on the Saints (Brees, Greer). Joe Horn was another guy that helped the Saints a few years back. But a lot of players end up like Haynesworth, Houshmandzadeh, Laveranues Coles, Adalius Thomas, etc.

Obviously our team has done pretty piss-poor in the draft in recent years. But it's not just because the FO picked bad prospects. I would also blame the coaches for not being able to develop these kids properly. Most of the time a young player ended up doing well, it was in spite of the coaches holding them back (Fred Jackson, Jabari Greer, Jairus Byrd - how many injuries did it take for this kid to start again?).

justasportsfan
07-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Whaley has good answer

A lot of Bills fans have had trouble wrapping their head around Buffalo’s top pick of C.J. Spiller. In our interview with Bills Asst. GM Doug Whaley he provided a good answer to the kind of pick Spiller was, even though that wasn’t the nature of the question he was asked.

“You can never have too many good players even at one position,” said Whaley. ”There are injuries, anything can happen. So building through the draft, setting up a solid foundation, and just keep building one step at a time. We’re going to have some tough times, but if you have that solid foundation where everybody believes and there’s work ethic and everybody is saying we went through all these OTAs together and there’s the cohesiveness of a team, and that I can see is starting to build, that’s what you need to consistently compete in this league.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/07/02/whaley-has-good-answer/

X-Era
07-02-2010, 02:38 PM
he was talking about the transition. Yes, they are looking for solid vets that can start while building their talent from within.

I am all for the way they are rebuilding this team instead of rebuilding with probowl players.Solid but not probowl players and develop players through the draft.

We tried bringing in probowl players under Donahoe and where are those players now?They didn't last long with this team .

Can't argue with the same blueprint that not only Pitts uses but Colts and Pats as well.

The winning blueprint for the Colts includes drafting a QB number one overall and keeping the best player in the game through huge contracts several times (Manning). Not to mention the big contracts to Harrison, Glenn, and Wayne.

Pitt has a large number of stars like Ward, Harrison, Polamalu, and of course Roeth who they also signed to huge dollars back a few years.

The Pats used that blueprint? Pretty much every year they were adding a current or former star:

Randy Moss
Rodney Harrison
Junior Seau
Zach Thomas
Roosevelt Colvin
Adalius Thomas
Fred Taylor
Torry Holt

Whaley is saying we should bring in second tier guys and keep them long term. Then build through the draft. Compared to the teams you mentioned, we could only be similar if we added at least 3 or 4 stars and then did that, or drafted a star QB.

Id be for either, but that isnt what he seems to be saying to me at all.

X-Era
07-02-2010, 02:38 PM

We've drafted a star?

X-Era
07-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Exactly. Honestly, I'm not sure how much people talk about it, but how often do guys switch teams in free agency and end up being worth what they were paid? The only guys I can think of off the top of my head are on the Saints (Brees, Greer). Joe Horn was another guy that helped the Saints a few years back. But a lot of players end up like Haynesworth, Houshmandzadeh, Laveranues Coles, Adalius Thomas, etc.

Obviously our team has done pretty piss-poor in the draft in recent years. But it's not just because the FO picked bad prospects. I would also blame the coaches for not being able to develop these kids properly. Most of the time a young player ended up doing well, it was in spite of the coaches holding them back (Fred Jackson, Jabari Greer, Jairus Byrd - how many injuries did it take for this kid to start again?).

All the teams Justa mentioned for example have franchise QB's and star WR's, plus several other stars... if we were in that boat I would be fine with that plan.

But I don't see how we are getting a franchise QB for at least another year and without a trade up to top 2 or 3 we may not next year either.

We are a Manning, Wayne, and Polamalu short of being good enough to do nothing significant in free agency or through trades and succeed.

psubills62
07-02-2010, 02:46 PM
The winning blueprint for the Colts includes drafting a QB number one overall and keeping the best player in the game through huge contracts several times (Manning). Not to mention the big contracts to Harrison, Glenn, and Wayne.

Pitt has a large number of stars like Ward, Harrison, Polamalu, and of course Roeth who they also signed to huge dollars back a few years.

The Pats used that blueprint? Pretty much every year they were adding a current or former star:

Randy Moss
Rodney Harrison
Junior Seau
Zach Thomas
Roosevelt Colvin
Adalius Thomas
Fred Taylor
Torry Holt

Whaley is saying we should bring in second tier guys and keep them long term. Then build through the draft. Compared to the teams you mentioned, we could only be similar if we added at least 3 or 4 stars and then did that, or drafted a star QB.

Sorry, but your point becomes laughable when you call Torry Holt (as he is now) a "star." Same with Fred Taylor when the Pats picked him up, and Junior Seau. Adalius Thomas has been a huge flop for them. Calling them a "former star" doesn't help your case.

The Patriots have done so well because of brilliant coaching and QB play. Not any free agent additions. They were really good before pretty much all of those guys on that list. Maybe if we find a guy who can play to Tom Brady's level, then we can add Randy Moss's to our team.

And it's not exactly easy to find a guy of Peyton Manning's caliber.

better days
07-02-2010, 02:50 PM
We've drafted a star?

Yeah a couple that will be, Byrd & Spiller.

psubills62
07-02-2010, 02:54 PM
All the teams Justa mentioned for example have franchise QB's and star WR's, plus several other stars... if we were in that boat I would be fine with that plan.

But I don't see how we are getting a franchise QB for at least another year and without a trade up to top 2 or 3 we may not next year either.

We are a Manning, Wayne, and Polamalu short of being good enough to do nothing significant in free agency or through trades and succeed.

We should be able to get a franchise QB next year. Most draft years aren't like 2010, where Bradford was the only true franchise QB. There are usually prospects who could either be franchise QB's or at the least very good QB's. Where was Flacco drafted? Henne? We should be able to find someone who is good enough to win. In the meantime, build a great defense through the draft. I mean, the Jets reached the AFC championship with Sanchez as their QB last year. They obviously have a dominant defense, and if we can improve both our defense and offense significantly, we won't necessarily have to have a Manning-type of player who will carry our team on his back.

That's a general strategy you're talking about, too. I'm sure the Bills could make exceptions if they really like a guy in FA. But this offseason especially was ripe for guys being overpaid.

Speaking of Manning, Wayne and Polamalu - how did those guys get on the team they currently are on? Through the draft.

I hate it as much as anyone, but this strategy does take time.

X-Era
07-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Sorry, but your point becomes laughable when you call Torry Holt (as he is now) a "star." Same with Fred Taylor when the Pats picked him up, and Junior Seau. Adalius Thomas has been a huge flop for them. Calling them a "former star" doesn't help your case.

The Patriots have done so well because of brilliant coaching and QB play. Not any free agent additions. They were really good before pretty much all of those guys on that list. Maybe if we find a guy who can play to Tom Brady's level, then we can add Randy Moss's to our team.

And it's not exactly easy to find a guy of Peyton Manning's caliber.
Those players helped. No, they arent what they were, but most weren't exactly second tier either IMO. And the point was only that it isn't what Whaley is describing.

Totally agree about needing a franchise QB to be relevant again. The Pats got one in a thousand lucky with that late rounder, it took the Colts top pick, and Pitt's top ten pick.

When we get that franchise guy, I will feel much better about Whaleys concept of team building... until then, were making shooting arrows into a barrel with mid or late first round picks hoping to land a star... that could take a while (and it has).

X-Era
07-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Yeah a couple that will be, Byrd & Spiller.

I will be cheering for that just like you trust me.

I just am surprised that with a decade of mediocrity, Whaley can spin more of the same mentality and convince fans that it will be different.

madness
07-02-2010, 03:01 PM
He wasn't looking the other way.. :rofl:

He must have been looking the other way when Pitt had the likes of Hines Ward (drafted by Steelers), Plax (drafted by Steelers), Bettis (traded as a solid contributing vet who could start), and Roeth (drafted by Steelers). Faneca (drafted by Steelers), Dawson (drafted by Steelers), Kirkland (drafted by Steelers), Porter (drafted by Steelers), Woodley (drafted by Steelers), Harrison (drafted by Steelers), Hampton (drafted by Steelers), Polamalu (drafted by Steelers) ... but we just need solid vets that can start huh?

psubills62
07-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Those players helped. No, they arent what they were, but none were exactly second tier either IMO. And the point was only that it isn't what Whaley is describing.

Totally agree about needing a franchise QB to be relevant again. The Pats got one in a thousand lucky with that late rounder, it took the Colts top pick, and Pitt's top ten pick.

When we get that franchise guy, I will feel much better about Whaleys concept of team building... until then, were making shooting arrows into a barrel with mid or late first round picks hoping to land a star... that could take a while (and it has).

All of them but Randy Moss have been second tier since they got to NE. How did they help? How many SB's have the Patriots won since they started getting those guys in FA?

I think nowadays draft picks are playing earlier and earlier. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bills get a top QB next draft, and play him either right away or maybe wait a year. Gailey is known for getting the most out of his QB's, so I trust him to pick and develop a QB much more than I trusted someone like Jauron.

X-Era
07-02-2010, 03:02 PM
He wasn't looking the other way.. :rofl:
Then he must see something in this roster that none of the rest of us do.

When we get to that level, he should step back in and run the ship... until then prove that you can draft like that.

Besides, the point is that he was in the luxury of sitting on a team that had all that. He didn't have to add much of anything in FA, because it was already there.

So hes applying that rule to this team with way worse talent... doesn't bode well.

X-Era
07-02-2010, 03:06 PM
All of them but Randy Moss have been second tier since they got to NE. How did they help? How many SB's have the Patriots won since they started getting those guys in FA?

I think nowadays draft picks are playing earlier and earlier. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bills get a top QB next draft, and play him either right away or maybe wait a year. Gailey is known for getting the most out of his QB's, so I trust him to pick and develop a QB much more than I trusted someone like Jauron.
How are we getting a top QB at 8 for example? if two rank as franchise potential, they will go one and two or three. Beyond that were talking about guys like Clausen... we will be lucky if its a Sanchez or Flacco. We will be lucky to have a franchise type QB drop to us at say 8... very lucky. Nix doesnt appear to want to move up, and we may not stink enough to be top 5 or even 3.

Whaley is saying it wont come through FA, including trades... So, I cant see a clear path to getting that franchise guy.

ddaryl
07-02-2010, 03:28 PM
How are we getting a top QB at 8 for example? if two rank as franchise potential, they will go one and two or three. Beyond that were talking about guys like Clausen... we will be lucky if its a Sanchez or Flacco. We will be lucky to have a franchise type QB drop to us at say 8... very lucky. Nix doesnt appear to want to move up, and we may not stink enough to be top 5 or even 3.

Whaley is saying it wont come through FA, including trades... So, I cant see a clear path to getting that franchise guy.

If we can offload a player or 2 for draft picks in 2011 we'll trade up... In fact I expect to see Marshwn gone before the trade deadline and possibly a DB

this club will do what it takes to get a real franchise arm with Nix at the helm IMO.

X-Era
07-02-2010, 03:33 PM
If we can offload a player or 2 for draft picks in 2011 we'll trade up... In fact I expect to see Marshwn gone before the trade deadline and possibly a DB

this club will do what it takes to get a real franchise arm with Nix at the helm IMO.

Somethings gotta give.

I hope your right.

Its possible that we could stink up the joint and pick in the top 3.

Yes, its just one position, but its incredibly critical.

better days
07-02-2010, 05:18 PM

And Moss had quit on the Raiders the year before, he was not exactly sought after when the Pats* signed him.

jamze132
07-02-2010, 05:34 PM
The Bills should just hire Don "The Goods" Ready as the GM. If anyone can sell a crappy product and make a lot of money doing it, its him.

"I'm Don Ready, I have hair on my balls, and I sell cars. The end."

psubills62
07-02-2010, 05:57 PM

How did Pittsburgh get a franchise QB at 11? How did the Ravens get a near-franchise QB at 18? How did the Patriots get a franchise QB at 199? How did the Packers get a franchise QB at 24? You draft well, period. If we don't draft well, we won't be a contender, no matter how many free agents we get.

We don't necessarily need a QB the caliber of Peyton Manning. We need a guy who is good enough to win us games. There are a good number of QB's out there who are like that (Flacco, Romo, Palmer, Eli Manning, Roethlisberger, McNabb, Kolb, etc.).

X-Era
07-02-2010, 06:40 PM
How did Pittsburgh get a franchise QB at 11? How did the Ravens get a near-franchise QB at 18? How did the Patriots get a franchise QB at 199? How did the Packers get a franchise QB at 24? You draft well, period. If we don't draft well, we won't be a contender, no matter how many free agents we get.

We don't necessarily need a QB the caliber of Peyton Manning. We need a guy who is good enough to win us games. There are a good number of QB's out there who are like that (Flacco, Romo, Palmer, Eli Manning, Roethlisberger, McNabb, Kolb, etc.).

Palmer, Manning, and McNabb were all higher than 8... but I get your point.

Yes its possible.

Look. I'm just not willing to go and believe, without seeing any proof, that the same methodology thats led us to a decade of mediocrity will now start working.

I want it to work, trust me. But, I will believe it when I see it.

Night Train
07-02-2010, 07:10 PM
To many that look at the big picture rather than just Madden stats, this may signify a turning point in the future of the franchise.

He's the obvious heir to Buddy Nix and the belief that we finally may be doing things the right way,rather than our practice of the past 10 years which is throwing crap at the wall and hoping something sticks (which failed).

If a new group buys the team upon Ralph's passing and keeps the team in WNY, then they don't need to worry about who is running the team. Just let Whaley run the team.

I saw a local interview with Whaley and my immediate impression of him was the dumb gene has never come within 1000 miles of this guy. Uber bright and has the Steeler way of building a winner down to a science.

Great hire. A+

psubills62
07-02-2010, 10:39 PM

Yes its possible.

Look. I'm just not willing to go and believe, without seeing any proof, that the same methodology thats led us to a decade of mediocrity will now start working.

The problem is that we haven't even had a decent QB in the last X number of years. Despite Losman's 2006 stats, we've not had a QB who is truly better than average. If we can simply get a QB who is in the Tier 2, not necessarily elite (like Peyton, Tom Brady, Drew Brees) while building a solid defense and loading up on decent playmakers, I trust Gailey to jumpstart the offense. We'll see this year if that trust is well-founded.

That's fine, I understand. But I'll just say this - don't blame the methodology. The way they're going about things has been proven over time, it's just a matter of who is implementing it. If you've got incompetent dweebs trying to build a powerful franchise (like the last 10+years for us), then it won't work. If you've got guys like Ozzie Newsome or Bill Polian or Bill Belichick doing it...they tend to have more success.

Eventually
07-03-2010, 12:25 AM

Yes its possible.

Totally see your point here, makes perfect sense and is, without a doubt, a defense mechanism that your mind is throwing out there to protect your heart.

As for me, well, I gripe and moan towards the latter part of a season, into the offseason a bit, and then somehow convince myself that everything will be alright, brand new day, everyone is 0-0 to start a season, anything can happen, on any given sunday, or fill in any other positive spun cliche. Don't ask me how I do it, I really don't know but it seems like each year something happens that allows for the hope to encompass my mental scope. The whaley hire this past season was certainly a large part of this seasons marketing ploy within my mind, effectively providing hope that things are moving in the right direction.

I get this way about now, each and every year, the rational part of me, can see and understand what is off, what needs fixing, et al, but the irrational part in me simply overpowers rational me, ties him up to a chair in a locked basement, gags him and shuts off the lights until that "officially eliminated from playoff contention" statement gets posted in newspapers, magazines and rehashed again and again on national TV. At that point I unlock the basement, turn on the lights, removes the constaints and the towel used as a gag, and it is at this point I exhale and release all the bitterness that's been festering for months inside of me. Then a few months later, like a phoenix rising then falling only to rise again, this cyclical system of belief begins again.

It's the only way I can handle being a bills fan and look forward to a new season without being one miserable SOB all year long.

Jan Reimers
07-03-2010, 08:13 AM
Wow. We bring in a bright young executive from a highly successful program, and some of you still blast him. Wow.

X-Era
07-03-2010, 08:39 AM
Totally see your point here, makes perfect sense and is, without a doubt, a defense mechanism that your mind is throwing out there to protect your heart.

As for me, well, I gripe and moan towards the latter part of a season, into the offseason a bit, and then somehow convince myself that everything will be alright, brand new day, everyone is 0-0 to start a season, anything can happen, on any given sunday, or fill in any other positive spun cliche. Don't ask me how I do it, I really don't know but it seems like each year something happens that allows for the hope to encompass my mental scope. The whaley hire this past season was certainly a large part of this seasons marketing ploy within my mind, effectively providing hope that things are moving in the right direction.

I get this way about now, each and every year, the rational part of me, can see and understand what is off, what needs fixing, et al, but the irrational part in me simply overpowers rational me, ties him up to a chair in a locked basement, gags him and shuts off the lights until that "officially eliminated from playoff contention" statement gets posted in newspapers, magazines and rehashed again and again on national TV. At that point I unlock the basement, turn on the lights, removes the constaints and the towel used as a gag, and it is at this point I exhale and release all the bitterness that's been festering for months inside of me. Then a few months later, like a phoenix rising then falling only to rise again, this cyclical system of belief begins again.

It's the only way I can handle being a bills fan and look forward to a new season without being one miserable SOB all year long.
So, the common thread is that several think I'm being a negative nancy. No. That's simply not the case. I wish for, and hope for, drastic changes to our fortunes. Its possible that the Bills somehow pull a Sparano-esque turn around in one year. I will be just as happy as anyone else here. It could happen. Id love it if it did. Maybe the Pistol will catch the NFL off guard the way Miami worked the Wildcat that year... Here's to hoping.

For the record, I love the signing of Whaley and think he can make a difference. However, his talk seems to me to be more of the same. Thats not a hit on Whaley, a dislike for him, or anything else. Its simply me questioning the front offices mindset. Not just Whaley, the whole front office.

You see, I feel like this team is stuck in a deep mire of mediocrity at this point. They aren't drafting high enough to get that franchise QB that they desperately need, they wont/cant seem to sign or trade for players that make them significantly better, and they arent drafting strong enough yet to significantly improve their fortunes that way either. We also arent being looked at as a desirable place to go by the bigger name players (like McNabb reportedly), or by the bigger name coaches (Shanahan and Cowher reportedly). So, the plan we have been following for years hasn't worked, we cant stink enough to land a blue-chip draftee, we cant/wont sign significant upgrades... and what does our new brass think the plan should be to bring us out of the rut? more of the same...

Its the mindset, not Whaley. And its a worry that we wont start heading in the right direction.

Like all of you, I want the Bills fixed, but hearing the same beat from the same drum doesn't raise my hopes much. If some of you cant understand that, I don't know what to say.

Johnny Bugmenot
07-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Wow. We bring in a bright young executive from a highly successful program, and some of you still blast him. Wow.
Tom Modrak was the same guy that was part of the machine that ran this team into the ground the past decade. I don't want anyone with anything to do with him or any of the other clowns in charge of this team. There are 300,000,000 people in this country and to tell me you can't find anyone without ties to the failed policies of the past decade is a ludicrous statement.

better days
07-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Tom Modrak was the same guy that was part of the machine that ran this team into the ground the past decade. I don't want anyone with anything to do with him or any of the other clowns in charge of this team. There are 300,000,000 people in this country and to tell me you can't find anyone without ties to the failed policies of the past decade is a ludicrous statement.

Modrak was & is nothing more than a scout. He really has not had that much influence on this team.

better days
07-03-2010, 12:41 PM
So, the common thread is that several think I'm being a negative nancy. No. That's simply not the case. I wish for, and hope for, drastic changes to our fortunes. Its possible that the Bills somehow pull a Sparano-esque turn around in one year. I will be just as happy as anyone else here. It could happen. Id love it if it did. Maybe the Pistol will catch the NFL off guard the way Miami worked the Wildcat that year... Here's to hoping.

For the record, I love the signing of Whaley and think he can make a difference. However, his talk seems to me to be more of the same. Thats not a hit on Whaley, a dislike for him, or anything else. Its simply me questioning the front offices mindset. Not just Whaley, the whole front office.

You see, I feel like this team is stuck in a deep mire of mediocrity at this point. They aren't drafting high enough to get that franchise QB that they desperately need, they wont/cant seem to sign or trade for players that make them significantly better, and they arent drafting strong enough yet to significantly improve their fortunes that way either. We also arent being looked at as a desirable place to go by the bigger name players (like McNabb reportedly), or by the bigger name coaches (Shanahan and Cowher reportedly). So, the plan we have been following for years hasn't worked, we cant stink enough to land a blue-chip draftee, we cant/wont sign significant upgrades... and what does our new brass think the plan should be to bring us out of the rut? more of the same...

Its the mindset, not Whaley. And its a worry that we wont start heading in the right direction.

Like all of you, I want the Bills fixed, but hearing the same beat from the same drum doesn't raise my hopes much. If some of you cant understand that, I don't know what to say.

Nix & Gailey have already said it will take more than a year to fix the mess that the Bills are as a team, but I think they are on the right track.

JCBills
07-03-2010, 01:13 PM

What?

Everyone you listed except Bettis started their career as a Steeler, which would be a testament to their drafting history etc. Etc because Harrison was a UDFA.

Eventually
07-03-2010, 02:41 PM

Being a bills fan and also being a realist= Negative Nancy plain and simple. Nothing against you at all, I hear what you are saying, and pretty much agree with it all, but like I mentioned I can't go into a season thinking things won't get better, because somehow I convince myself they will and year in and year out I've been proven foolish to actually believe myself they'll turn the page all of a sudeen.

Getting that QB has and will be the key, not putting words in your mouth here, but I just don't want them to be so awful to be in a position to grab that top qb because then it would be the line, and then once we get the line, the QB will be so gunshy from a few years behind a poor line, so now we'll need a new qb-- vicious cycle.

For me the process has been disheartening at times, but it really all comes down to major misses IMO. The bledsoe trade didn't get enough time to work out, JP was supposed to be groomed for a few seasons behind him, but he got thrown into the mix way too early and was ruined, then trent basically had the same thing happen to him. The bledsoe thing screwed up so much for the franchise IMO.

Right now as far as QB goes we have to pray one of these guys really performs like a Franchise guy or that one of the top qbs falls to us in 2011 draft because I don't realistically see us picking earlier than 7 or 8 next year and Nix doesn't strike me as a guy that will trade up that far to get his guy, so if these things don't pan out, it's looking at second round/journeyman/or maybe a trade back in to round 1. So yeah I can feel the disgust.

I just have to hope and pray somehow we get LUCKY, which is irrational me thinking once again. But as for the line I mentioned, I like Meredith and Bell for that matter and feel one or both can be very good eventually. So it really does come down to the QB for me, but I definately would feel much more comfortable seeing a LT trade take place in case we are in the position to take a high draft pick QB.

I rambled on a bit there but I think you all get the point I'm making.

Jan Reimers
07-04-2010, 07:26 AM
In the long and inglorious history of irrational Billszone posts, this one has to be toward the very top.

BuffaloBeliever
07-04-2010, 01:30 PM
If it wasn't for the fact that Buddy Nix hired Doug Whaley as his assitant GM, I would have been disgusted with this off season, but having Whaley in the mix being groomed to become our future GM encourages me. Whaley was taught lessons by some of the best people in the football business, in particular Kevin Colbert, who deserves a ton of credit for the incredible job he has done with the Steelers over the years.
I'm hopeful that we have finally found some stability in the Bills front office and that it will eventually return us to the promised land - the playoffs!!

justasportsfan
07-06-2010, 10:14 AM

Pitt has a large number of stars like Ward, Harrison, Polamalu, and of course Roeth who they also signed to huge dollars back a few years..

Both teams you mentioned were built through the draft. Signing those players came later after the colts were built through the draft. Nix and Whaley are only on their first year. You post above does not apply just yet in comparison to Nix and co.

I agree on the qb's and you can't blame Whaley and co for not drafting a Manninng becuase first of all, it's their first year and second, there was no Manning in this years draft.

Randy Moss
Rodney Harrison
Junior Seau
Zach Thomas
Roosevelt Colvin
Adalius Thomas
Fred Taylor
Torry Holt

Yes the pats used that blueprint especially when you talk about BB first few years .

Moss, Welker and Harrison came later but the core of the group was already built through the draft. I expect NIx and co. to bring in the same type of players down the road but I don't expect them to do it during the TRANSITION/1st year without checking out the players they inherited.

Other than Moss and Harrison guys Seau , Thomas , Thomas WERE studs before going to the PAts. They were nothing but VET's who can contribute but not studs with the pats. They were exactly players that Whaler described. Vets that were solid and can contribute but nothing more.

justasportsfan
07-06-2010, 10:29 AM

Maybe we should cut Whaley and bring back John Guy.

trapezeus
07-06-2010, 10:37 AM
if Gailey can make edwards or brohm or brown salvagable and not a total joke this year, i will pretty much trust him with molding a 1st round pick. If they don't improve under his watch, then we might be in trouble. we might be forced to draft a talented player who can succeed under even bad coaching. that's a lot to ask for.

i'm still giving gailey a pass until week 4 of this season. If the team truly sucks then we did nothing. If it looks like its making progress, he'll get the full 3 years like everyone else in my mind, and if he's a knockout success, i will claim that i always had his back.

is it time for the miami game yet?

justasportsfan
07-06-2010, 10:42 AM
i'm still giving gailey a pass until week 4 of this season. If the team truly sucks then we did nothing. If it looks like its making progress, he'll get the full 3 years like everyone else in my mind, and if he's a knockout success, i will claim that i always had his back.

is it time for the miami game yet?

weeek 4? Who do you think we hired BB? Everyone thinks we won't win .500. He gets 3 years. If we don't make playoffs in his 3rd year. He's done.

trapezeus
07-06-2010, 10:48 AM
how did i know you'd be the first guy to jump in on this?

i'm saying week 4 to realize if he's a dud. i think if we see piss poor clock management, blowing close games, being pig headed in the first 4 weeks on a consisent basis, i think we know what we are in for.

I think if we go 0-4 but the offense moves the ball, the defense is making the adjustment but lacking the talent, and the draft class of 09 and 10 look like they are contributing, then we can rest assured that gailey can fix this team.

i'm not making any claimson gailey right now. i'm hopeful. but i think after we see his coaching style in the first couple games we'll know if we can trust him or not.

There is a difference between waiting 3 years blindly and having on opinion on how you think those 3 years will turn out.

justasportsfan
07-06-2010, 10:55 AM
how did i know you'd be the first guy to jump in on this?

i'm saying week 4 to realize if he's a dud. i think if we see piss poor clock management, blowing close games, being pig headed in the first 4 weeks on a consisent basis, i think we know what we are in for.

I think if we go 0-4 but the offense moves the ball, the defense is making the adjustment but lacking the talent, and the draft class of 09 and 10 look like they are contributing, then we can rest assured that gailey can fix this team.

i'm not making any claimson gailey right now. i'm hopeful. but i think after we see his coaching style in the first couple games we'll know if we can trust him or not.

There is a difference between waiting 3 years blindly and having on opinion on how you think those 3 years will turn out.

BB team in his first year was ranked 22 with Bledsoe at qb .His D was ranked 20.
His team finished 5-11 .

Nobody knew he would create a dynasty after his first year let alone 4 games.

trapezeus
07-06-2010, 11:04 AM
how many times do we have to cite an outside case when the norm shows that if you don't get production out of your team pretty quickly, you will be a failure?

i agree, gailey gets three years. but i think we'll all be able to develop opinions on him pretty fast. i think i know what i'm looking for. I think you know what you are looking for.

if the bills go 0-4, but the qb's look like they knkow what teh plan is and can play better, i'm all for being optimistic about the 3 years. if he literally can't do anything, spiller looks lost, the defense isn't transitioning at all, well then, i'm not expecting a whole lot out of the next 3 years.

justasportsfan
07-06-2010, 11:10 AM
how many times do we have to cite an outside case when the norm shows that if you don't get production out of your team pretty quickly, you will be a failure?

i agree, gailey gets three years. but i think we'll all be able to develop opinions on him pretty fast. i think i know what i'm looking for. I think you know what you are looking for.

if the bills go 0-4, but the qb's look like they knkow what teh plan is and can play better, i'm all for being optimistic about the 3 years. if he literally can't do anything, spiller looks lost, the defense isn't transitioning at all, well then, i'm not expecting a whole lot out of the next 3 years.

No one thought the fins were headed to the playoffs after a 2-4 start in their first year of rebuild. Not even you.

I'm sure you thought we were headed to the playoffs after a 5-0 start with Dick.

No one can know where this team is headed after 4 weeks.

billz83
07-07-2010, 05:31 PM
a challenge is an understatement....not only does he have to FIX this team but he has to do it on RALPH WILSONz salvation army style approach! i just dont see anyone fixing this team while wilson is around..he is a self-sabotager of his OWN TEAM(BUSINESS). it would be a MIRACLE if the bills won the super bowl with wilson still the owner..