X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Asst. GM Whaley embracing challenge with Bills

It’s an undertaking that only those with enough self-confidence and belief in the people around them would accept. Beginning the process of pulling a Buffalo Bills franchise out of a decade long playoff drought might not seem all that appealing to some, but for Assistant GM and Director of Pro Personnel Doug Whaley it was a new challenge that was too enticing to pass up.

“It’s definitely a change,” Whaley told Buffalobills.com. “Change is sometimes uncomfortable, but sometimes necessary and I think it’s a good change. I’ve been in Pittsburgh a long time and this opportunity came up so I’m treating it as a challenge and new chapter in my life. It’s something where I can take what I’ve learned from my Pittsburgh roots and implement it here in Buffalo.”

• justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Asst. GM Whaley embracing challenge with Bills

He's probably being groomed to be Nix's replacement.

Draftboy, you should go apply as an intern.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
      • Nov 2009

Good read

Comment

• madness
        • Apr 2003

Ten years later with two Super Bowl titles on his resume Whaley’s name became a popular one for NFL clubs looking to add an important piece to their front office. When presented with the opportunity in Buffalo, a lot of what Whaley heard from Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey reminded him of the Pittsburgh model he had come to embrace. “I think it’s very similar,” Whaley said. “I think it’s one of those things where there’s an emphasis on building through the draft and establishing a foundation. That’s how you can consistently compete for championships. I see that that’s what we’re doing here. We’re not trying to get a quick fix in free agency, not over drafting to force a square peg in a round hole when we can just get the best player available. You can never have too many good players even at one position.

“That’s why Buddy, Chan and I are on the same plane. It’s about getting good football players. People want to see good football players. They don’t want to come and see a stadium. They don’t want to come and see signs. They want to come and see good football players.”

But what has been most important to Whaley’s successful transition is the direction of the Bills franchise.

“I just see the blueprint being laid here that I’m comfortable with and used to and have subscribed to for the last 11 years,” he said. “Go out and get solid contributing veterans that can start and will be here for most of their contracts and draft the best players available. And that’s the recipe that once I heard that from Buddy and Chan I signed on and they haven’t deviated from that plan since they got here.

“If you can go out and find good football players and try to be as consistent as possible and you combine it with good coaching, which we have with Chan, then you have a chance. Are you going to go undefeated? No. But you’re always going to have a chance to be in each game. And that’s the main philosophy that I’ve picked up through all my years in football.”
        This is what I like to hear. Some people think you turn around a team by reaching for draft picks just to fill a need and signing every high profile FA. That's all fine and dandy when you are a competitive team but it's not how you build one that's in it for the long haul.
        Last edited by madness; 07-02-2010, 09:03 AM.

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

I guess he hasn't heard, it's the same old front office as the last 10 years, with the same results expected by the fans. LOL.

Comment

• ddaryl
            Everything I post is sexual inuendo
            • Jan 2005

I like our new FO and coach Gailey... The more I read their interviews and how they seem to apporach things has me encouraged that were finally going to turn this turd around
            Last edited by ddaryl; 07-02-2010, 09:33 AM.

Comment

• BillsWin
              man amongst boys
              • Oct 2008

It's about time we get an article on our future GM.
              I am The Batman.

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                Will not tolerate vandalism.
                • Apr 2006

Whaley worked under Director of Pro Personnel Charles Bailey and Director of College Personnel Tom Modrak.
                Sigh... a Modrak protege... more of the same.

Comment

• trapezeus
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Oct 2004

i like that he is getting a chance to be essentially groomed into the position. this reduces his need to be some wunderkind and can go about building the team right.

This might be one of those things that we look back at 5 years and say, "wow, thats when they finally started to get things right."

Or so i hope. i don't want to be like, "we just keep going to pittsburgh andw e come out with donahoes, mularkey's and whaley's"

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
                    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Johnny Bugmenot
                    That's the spirit, Sunshine-Bear!!!

Comment

• djjimkelly
                      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Johnny Bugmenot

i dont think modrak has been the issue with the bills he has always had someone to answer to.

from dumahoe to levy to jauron. he built the eagles into what they were a few years back. i definately dont think he has been the issue here.

Comment

• X-Era
                        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by madness
                        This is what I like to hear. Some people think you turn around a team by reaching for draft picks just to fill a need and signing every high profile FA. That's all fine and dandy when you are a competitive team but it's not how you build one that's in it for the long haul.
                        What stood out to me is this comment:

Solid contributing veterans that can start

That's a pretty clear indication that we have little intention on adding stars through free agency or trades.

He must have been looking the other way when Pitt had the likes of Hines Ward, Plax, Bettis, and Roeth. Faneca, Dawson, Kirkland, Porter, Woodley, Harrison, Hampton, Polamalu... but we just need solid vets that can start huh?

This mindset may not bode well for a team that is perpetually mediocre.
                        Last edited by X-Era; 07-02-2010, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by X-Era
                          What stood out to me is this comment:

Solid contributing veterans that can start

That's a pretty clear indication that we have little intention on adding stars through free agency or trades.

He must have been looking the other way when Pitt had the likes of Hines Ward, Plax, Bettis, and Roeth. Faneca, Dawson, Kirkland, Porter, Woodley, Harrison, Hampton, Polamalu... but we just need solid vets that can start huh?

This mindset may not bode well for a team that is perpetually mediocre.
                          when you cut the quote short, you take it out of context.

But what has been most important to Whaley’s successful transition is the direction of the Bills franchise.

“I just see the blueprint being laid here that I’m comfortable with and used to and have subscribed to for the last 11 years,” he said. “Go out and get solid contributing veterans that can start and will be here for most of their contracts and draft the best players available. And that’s the recipe that once I heard that from Buddy and Chan I signed on and they haven’t deviated from that plan since they got here.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• X-Era
                            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                            when you cut the quote short, you take it out of context.
                            I dont see that its out of context at all. Whether they stay here their whole contracts or not, hes only looking for vets that can start. I think hes clearly saying they arent that interested in getting high profile players. It may be that he means they worry they will leave after their first contract, but it still seems clear they want second tier vets.

Put it this way, you wouldn't call a top free agent a "solid contributing vet who can start" would you?

Comment

• psubills62
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by X-Era
                              I dont see that its out of context at all. Whether they stay here their whole contracts or not, hes only looking for vets that can start. I think hes clearly saying they arent that interested in getting high profile players. It may be that he means they worry they will leave after their first contract, but it still seems clear they want second tier vets.

Put it this way, you wouldn't call a top free agent a "solid contributing vet who can start" would you?
                              I think that's a good strategy as long as we 1) draft well, and 2) re-sign the stars that we develop from our draft picks. The veterans brought in from FA can help with leadership in the locker room, development of young draft picks, etc. Guys like Andra Davis, Dwan Edwards...guys that I think were good additions.
                              "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

Working...
                              X