PDA

View Full Version : Help us decide! Baby Name

The King
07-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Jules and I are going back and forth between our two boy names... help us!

The middle name will be Michael.

Dude
07-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Why isn't Thurm one of the choices?

hydro
07-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Julien Michael, taking into consideration it sounds better than Jade Michael.

Valerie
07-02-2010, 09:37 AM
I think Julien Michael sound better than Jude Michael. We're using Bill's name for thie middle name too! :hi5:

RockStar36
07-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Julien.

Reminds me of potatoes. Yum.

The King
07-02-2010, 09:48 AM
I think Julien Michael sound better than Jude Michael. We're using Bill's name for thie middle name too! :hi5:It's tradition in my family.

Mr. Miyagi
07-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Julien no contest.

Jude sounds terrible.

madness
07-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Jude Michael is a much stronger name, I like it.

Besides... if you named him Julien, you'd have two Jules in the house.

The King
07-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Julien no contest.

Jude sounds terrible.This will not make Julie happy.

trapezeus
07-02-2010, 10:53 AM
i was expecting the choices to be either Bang or Bucks.

if your wife's name is Jules, isn't it odd that your son's name is julien? it's so close. It leads to confusion when you have to scream for them from the living room.

JULES!!!

Julien walks in. "What is it?"

Bah, i'm looking for your mom.

and of course vice versa.

but that's my opinion.

Discotrish
07-02-2010, 10:55 AM
So it's a Lennonesque name no matter what?

I guess it's much too late to say good-bye.

Patti

shelby
07-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Julien.

mercyrule
07-02-2010, 11:09 AM
I like Gene

ddaryl
07-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Jules !

Discotrish
07-02-2010, 11:11 AM
http://www.karenwheeler.com/images/julian.jpg

Julien Bedard's Facebook Page (http://www.facebook.com/people/Julien-Bedard/581704950)

How about "Michael?" Everyone likes that name.

Patti

Dr. Lecter
07-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Since you are the King, try Prince Michael.

LtFinFan66
07-02-2010, 11:19 AM
"Hey Jude"...need I say more

Mr. Miyagi
07-02-2010, 11:21 AM
This will not make Julie happy.
Plus he'll be annoyed by the "Hey Jude" joke all his life.

Mr. Miyagi
07-02-2010, 11:21 AM
"Hey Jude"...need I say more
See?

Discotrish
07-02-2010, 11:22 AM
It is just a personal gut reaction but both those are "ick" names for boys for me personally. (a lot of people love them though)

If you name your child either of those he'll be changing his name to "Michael" by middle school.

We have a kid at our school who doesn't like his given name and wants to change it to "Jake."

That's a nice "J" name for a boy. How about Jake? Jacob Michael, aka "Jake." He can even be "Jakey" as a toddler which sounded rakish in this Swiss Family Robinson Movie I just watched.

Please give this decision more thought.

Ick factor. (apologies if they belong to some heirloom relative)

If I were a boy I wouldn't want those names. If you do go with one of those, be sure to have an unrelated nickname handy.

I'm not trying to be mean I just truly would not want those names on a boy.

:nono:

Patti

LtFinFan66
07-02-2010, 11:24 AM
99.999% of those this child grows up with would not know wtf "Hey Jude" is anyway so that would not be an issue Miyagi

mercyrule
07-02-2010, 11:25 AM
I've decided I like traditional names for boys. And girls, btw.

Michael is a very nice one.

Discotrish
07-02-2010, 11:28 AM
99.999% of those this child grows up with would not know wtf "Hey Jude" is anyway so that would not be an issue Miyagi

So not true.

I mean, yes, if it were a hit by Bananarama.

Judes and Juliens don't conjure up a manly image. Okay, how many guys on this board would like having either of those names? Be honest.

I feel like we have to save this kid from his parents before he tries to get his birth certificate altered!

Plus it's only a matter of time before someone starts chanting "Julia" on the playground. You can't do that with Michael or Jake.

Patti

LtFinFan66
07-02-2010, 11:32 AM
So not true.

Judes and Juliens don't conjure up a manly image. Okay, how many guys on this board would like having either of those names? Be honest.

I feel like we have to save this kid from his parents before he tries to get his birth certificate altered!

Plus it's only a matter of time before someone starts chanting "Julia" on the playground. You can't do that with Michael or Jake.

Pattihonestly.....NOBODY cares what you think. Thank you. And what you said...as usual...makes no sense

Discotrish
07-02-2010, 11:37 AM
honestly.....NOBODY cares what you think. Thank you. And what you said...as usual...makes no sense

You're nuts. It doesn't matter that it's ME that's thinking it -- I'm the only one who has bothered to say what probably a lot of others are thinking. And have hinted at. It makes a LOT of sense.

I understand how parents go in a particular direction with names and get all taken with something or other, but don't think through the ramifications, or even how others may react to it.

My parents wanted to name my sister "Rita." To this day she feels she dodged a major bullet.

Or, are you suggesting "you" would like the name Julien or Jude for yourself or a kid of yours? Doubtful!

Patti

RockStar36
07-02-2010, 11:37 AM
So not true.

Patti

You couldn't call a kid named Michael "Michelle"?

LtFinFan66
07-02-2010, 11:39 AM
You couldn't call a kid named Michael "Michelle"?or a Dan-Danielle

Discotrish
07-02-2010, 11:39 AM
You couldn't call a kid named Michael "Michelle"?

Yes, but there will always be other kids with that name, so you can't be singled out.

For Julien/Jude, "The Cheese Stands Alone."

Patti

RockStar36
07-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Yes, but there will always be other kids with that name, so you can't be singled out.

For Julien/Jude, "The Cheese Stands Alone."

Patti

What's it like up there in your head?

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-02-2010, 11:44 AM
If I named my kid Jade I would hope my son would beat the **** out of me when he was old enough.

Mr. Miyagi
07-02-2010, 11:45 AM
BS. The song came out in 1968, before my time, and I know it.

It's a classic song. It'll go on to the next generation as well.

shelby
07-02-2010, 11:46 AM
It doesn't matter what Patti thinks. If Bedahd and Jules like the names, that is all that matters.

mercyrule
07-02-2010, 11:47 AM

It's a classic song. It'll go on to the next generation as well.My kids know it.

The King
07-02-2010, 11:48 AM
I like Gene:rofl:

mercyrule
07-02-2010, 11:48 AM
It doesn't matter what Patti thinks. If Bedahd and Jules like the names, that is all that matters.True as that is, don't you think they'd like a little feedback about how other people might react to the name(s)?

mercyrule
07-02-2010, 11:49 AM
:rofl: See?

My father, my brother, my nephew

mercyrule
07-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Julian is a little effeminate. Or sexy. Depending.

shelby
07-02-2010, 11:50 AM
True as that is, don't you think they'd like a little feedback about how other people might react to the name(s)?
i don't know :D

Discotrish
07-02-2010, 11:51 AM
It doesn't matter what Patti thinks. If Bedahd and Jules like the names, that is all that matters.

A lot of people tiptoe around parents who get "attached" to less-than-appealing baby names. We don't want to offend them! And I don't particularly want to offend Bedard either.

It's really on the kid's behalf that I'm speaking up.

He. Will. Not. Like. That. Name.

It doesn't matter what I personally think, as an individual, but you can bet other people are having the same reaction to "Julien/Jude."

I haven't seen any guys announce yet that they'd be happy with that name for themselves or a kid of theirs.

If women love it, that isn't necessarily a good sign.

Patti

shelby
07-02-2010, 11:52 AM
It doesn't matter. We're in end times, remember? The odds of this kid reaching grade school are slim to none anyway.

:sarcasm:

mercyrule
07-02-2010, 11:52 AM
I like this book for prospective parents:

(http://www.amazon.com/New-Baby-Name-Survey-Book/dp/0684031647/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278089519&sr=8-3) The New Baby Name Survey Book: How to pick a name that makes a favorable impression for your child (http://www.amazon.com/New-Baby-Name-Survey-Book/dp/0684031647/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278089519&sr=8-3) by Bruce Lansky (http://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Lansky/e/B001IOFCLE/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_3?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1278089519&sr=8-3) and Megan McGinnis (Paperback - Aug. 14, 2007)

Discotrish
07-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Julian is a little effeminate. Or sexy. Depending.

I think it works if he goes to college in France.

Patti

Mr. Miyagi
If that's the case he wouldn't have started this thread.

Dr. Lecter
Patti can whacko up any thread.

shelby
07-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Behdahd is an attention whore. Of course he's going to start a thread.
:D

mercyrule
07-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Why do you want to spell it "Julien" instead of "Julian?"

LtFinFan66
07-02-2010, 11:57 AM

It's a classic song. It'll go on to the next generation as well.no

Dr. Lecter
07-02-2010, 11:59 AM
If women love it, that isn't necessarily a good sign.

Patti
Yeah, heaven forbid the kid have another way to help attract women.

The King
http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/suitability_of_Jude.html<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/suitability_of_Julien.html

Here's some feedback from actual people with the names. I appreciate the feedback whether it be good or bad.
As for how you feel about kids being picked on... kids will get picked on for a million different things... I have the most un-original name ever and still caught **** for it. kids will be kids. It's our job as parents to help make our son proud of who is. None of your concerns phase me in the least.
<o:p></o:p>

LtFinFan66
funny how we have two names.....one that the Beatles sang about and one that a Beatle named his son

Dr. Lecter
no
Yes

Dr. Lecter
07-02-2010, 12:00 PM
funny how we have two names.....one that the Beatles sang about and one that a Beatle named his son

And the song is about that kid.

The last buffalo fan

Correcto!

You can go also with Michael Juliani :idunno:

Valerie
Boys names are hard, there really aren't very many good ones out there. And the good ones are so over-used you almost don't want to use them. I didn't have one boy name picked out but I had at least 10 girl's names. We read the entire baby name book before we decided on Connor.

The King
I like this book for prospective parents:

The New Baby Name Survey Book: How to pick a name that makes a favorable impression for your child (http://www.amazon.com/New-Baby-Name-Survey-Book/dp/0684031647/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278089519&sr=8-3) by Bruce Lansky (http://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Lansky/e/B001IOFCLE/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_3?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1278089519&sr=8-3) and Megan McGinnis (Paperback - Aug. 14, 2007)Thats sooo awesome that his name is Bruce.

LtFinFan66
07-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Yes:no:

DraftBoy
07-02-2010, 12:03 PM
I went with Jude.

Its unique, and I think that it fits better. Congrats to you and Jules though!

Discotrish
07-02-2010, 12:04 PM

Because then you're only an "N" away from being called "Julia" by the teacher!

There are a lot of names I'm indifferent to. And girl names can go in funky directions without too much harm. If we were talking about a girl I'd be saying, "sure, Kaighleighe is lovely, spell it anyway you want to, she'll be thrilled!"

But boys like names that are boyish.

For whatever reason.

I'd at least wait until one male zoner admits he'd wouldn't mind being named Jude/Julien himself, or naming one of his male kids that name.

This poll should never have been started without a "something else" option! It would be interesting to see how many would have voted for that.

Patti

mercyrule
07-02-2010, 12:08 PM
http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/suitability_of_Jude.html<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/suitability_of_Julien.html

Here's some feedback from actual people with the names. I appreciate the feedback whether it be good or bad.
As for how you feel about kids being picked on... kids will get picked on for a million different things... I have the most un-original name ever and still caught **** for it. kids will be kids. It's our job as parents to help make our son proud of who is. None of your concerns phase me in the least.
<o:p></o:p>Where did you get those links?

Soooo . . . . . the most common thing they say about the bullying potential for Julien/Julian is that it's effeminate. Like Patti said.

Dr. Lecter
Because then you're only an "N" away from being called "Julia" by the teacher!

There are a lot of names I'm indifferent to. And girl names can go in funky directions without too much harm. If we were talking about a girl I'd be saying, "sure, Kaighleighe is lovely, spell it anyway you want to, she'll be thrilled!"

But boys like names that are boyish.

For whatever reason.

I'd at least wait until one male zoner admits he'd wouldn't mind being named Jude/Julien himself, or naming one of his male kids that name.

This poll should never have been started without a "something else" option! It would be interesting to see how many would have voted for that.

Patti

I really would not care. I got picked on enough as it was, so that would not bother me. And if my wife wanted to name our kid that, I would not have a problem with it. I did date a girl once who had a kid named Julian.

Now, did you ever get picked on for having Patti?

That is close to Pat.
http://www.psychologicalscience.org/onlyhuman/uploaded_images/pat2-742146.jpg

The King

PattiWhat's interesting is your inability to understand that we like both names. And that the something else option is pointless, because we dont really want anything else.

shelby
07-02-2010, 12:09 PM
i think it's because the mother's name is "Julie"

but i could be wrong.

mercyrule
Thats sooo awesome that his name is Bruce.http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/suitability_of_Bruce.html

Discotrish

Of course they don't faze you -- you're an adult. You have to put yourself in the kid's shoes. (That's how kids end up with names they don't like BTW.) You're right kids will always find things to tease each other about -- my point is you don't serve them up a fastball down the middle. Who needs the extra hassle?

You should make him proud of who he is regardless. All I'm saying is that it's the equivalent of "twinkletoes." Now if he's artistic, he may not care.

There are so many great boys' names. Pick one!

Patti

mercyrule
07-02-2010, 12:10 PM
i think it's because the mother's name is "Julie"

but i could be wrong.I think it's because he's not very good at spelling.

shelby
07-02-2010, 12:11 PM
This thread is freaking fascinating. i'm going to give it 5 stars!

mercyrule
07-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Now, did you ever get picked on for having Patti?

That is close to Pat.
http://www.psychologicalscience.org/onlyhuman/uploaded_images/pat2-742146.jpgAll the Tricias I knew are going by Trish now. I like Tricia.

shelby
07-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Just out of curiosity, Patti, what are your childrens names?

mercyrule
07-02-2010, 12:13 PM
So what is the connection to Jule's father?

The King
07-02-2010, 12:16 PM
This thread is freaking fascinating. i'm going to give it 5 stars!It sure is. Who knew Patti was passionate about something other than the end of times.

mercyrule
07-02-2010, 12:17 PM
What is the connection to Jules' father?

Does he love the Beatles? Or is his name Julien?

Valerie
07-02-2010, 12:18 PM
I think Log has a kid named Jude.

The King
07-02-2010, 12:21 PM
What is the connection to Jules' father?

Does he love the Beatles? Or is his name Julien?Something about that song reminds her of her Dad.

He was definitely a Beatles fan, but that song is a special connection for her.
If any of you have lost a parent at a young age I am sure you can relate.

The King
07-02-2010, 12:21 PM
I think Log has a kid named Jude.That will certainly help the decision making process.

mercyrule
07-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Something about that song reminds her of her Dad.

He was definitely a Beatles fan, but that song is a special connection for her.
If any of you have lost a parent at a young age I am sure you can relate.Jude is nice.

mercyrule
07-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Julian is nice. Sexy. In an effeminate way. I voted for Julien.

mercyrule
07-02-2010, 12:25 PM
I haven't lost my father but there are definitely songs that make me feel a connection to him that are special to me. "You are my Sunshine" Anything with yoddling.

Discotrish
07-02-2010, 12:38 PM
What's interesting is your inability to understand that we like both names. And that the something else option is pointless, because we dont really want anything else.

First of all, it is WAY to early in the equation to get attached to only two names. Second, have you polled friends and family? How about Facebook buddies?

Having a name you don't like really stinks, and this one unfortunately has a lot of downside potential. Very little upside potential, unless you're naming him after a multi-millionaire relative who's writing him into the will.

You need to think of your kid first, not yourselves, and this is true in so many more areas than just the baby name.

Would YOU be okay with either of those names for yourself?

Maybe ask yourself that question and be honest about your answer.

Do you have a brother who you can trust to give you an honest answer?

Patti

The King
07-02-2010, 12:51 PM
First of all, it is WAY to early in the equation to get attached to only two names. Second, have you polled friends and family? How about Facebook buddies?

Having a name you don't like really stinks, and this one unfortunately has a lot of downside potential. Very little upside potential, unless you're naming him after a multi-millionaire relative who's writing him into the will.

You need to think of your kid first, not yourselves, and this is true in so many more areas than just the baby name.

Patti

I would be fine with either name, a name is what you make it.

And thanks for the parenting advice.

Dr. Lecter
07-02-2010, 01:09 PM

Patti

So, what are you kids names?

My best friends name is Kelly (male).

I assume you would hate that since it is one of those names that are used for both genders.

I tell him that his dad wanted a boy and his mom wanted a girl and they were both happy when he was born. But that is about it.

What you are missing is that there will be teasing regardless of the name. It might be worse if the name is way out there, but Julien is not.

As long as he avoids names like Corey!!!

The King
07-02-2010, 01:14 PM
So, what are you kids names?

My best friends name is Kelly (male).

I assume you would hate that since it is one of those names that are used for both genders.

I tell him that his dad wanted a boy and his mom wanted a girl and they were both happy when he was born. But that is about it.

What you are missing is that there will be teasing regardless of the name. It might be worse if the name is way out there, but Julien is not.

As long as he avoids names like Corey!!!

No Lecter.... the childs life will be over even before it began. Kids can not tolerate teasing... its simply too much.

madness
07-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Do certain names restrict your ability to shut your pie hole? I'm starting to think so.

mercyrule
07-02-2010, 01:16 PM
What the hell do you two know about it?

hydro
07-02-2010, 01:22 PM
I would never name my child Patti. That is reserved for fanatical nutjobs.

The King
07-02-2010, 01:25 PM
i am beginning to think patti was tormented as a little girl

The King
07-02-2010, 01:29 PM
<object width="640" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/els_kUrhqKM&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></object>

if you can stay with this its hilarious

Bufftp
07-02-2010, 01:40 PM
If a boy call him Bob. Bob Bedard.
If a girl Bodacious (this assumes the Mrs's genes trump yours). Bodacious Bedard

Discotrish
07-02-2010, 01:53 PM
i am beginning to think patti was tormented as a little girl

Now, don't get all defensive. You must have some guy friends you trust. Instead of asking them "which" name they like better (or dislike least), ask if they like either name -- if you get a noncommittal answer "it's only important that YOU TWO like it," or "it doesn't matter what other people think..." that tells you they are not crazy about the name. Do you have a brother you can get an honest opinion from?

See naming a kid should be about more than some song you're sentimental about. It's one thing to name a kid after a beloved relative, but a song, for Lady Gaga's sake...the kid has to LIVE with this name. How about getting a family pet and naming it Jude/Julien?

You have not really commented on whether YOU would like the name for yourself. Maybe try to work your way up to honesty on that one.

Where is LOG? Maybe he can comment on whether his Jude still goes by that name.

Patti

The King
07-02-2010, 02:01 PM
See naming a kid should be about more than some song you're sentimental about. It's one thing to name a kid after a beloved relative, but a song, for Lady Gaga's sake...the kid has to LIVE with this name. How about getting a family pet and naming it Jude/Julien?

You have not really commented on whether YOU would like the name for yourself. Maybe try to work your way up to honesty on that one.

Where is LOG? Maybe he can comment on whether his Jude still goes by that name.

Patti

See post #79 in this thread.

I am an only child so no brothers...

And we are talking about naming our son after a relative... just not in a sense that you find conventional.

Sounds to me that you think everyone should just be vanilla and blend in.

RockStar36
07-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Boys names are the easiest.

Just take whatever current athlete is your favorite and act accordingly.

Whenever I have a kid, his name will be Ryan Miller.

Discotrish
07-02-2010, 02:10 PM
See post #79 in this thread.

I am an only child so no brothers...

And we are talking about naming our son after a relative... just not in a sense that you find conventional.

Sounds to me that you think everyone should just be vanilla and blend in.

Perhaps a trusted friend, then.

Again, avoiding the question as to whether you'd like this name for yourself? If you wouldn't like the name yourself, why would you give it to your kid?

We need Thurm on this thread. He is always brutally honest. If he likes the names I may have to rethink my stance.

Patti

Dr. Lecter
07-02-2010, 02:12 PM

Good idea.

I can name my kid Tyler Myers.

Although naming your kid born a year ago Tiger Woods would be problematic.

The King
07-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Perhaps a trusted friend, then.

Again, avoiding the question as to whether you'd like this name for yourself? If you wouldn't like the name yourself, why would you give it to your kid?

We need Thurm on this thread. He is always brutally honest. If he likes the names I may have to rethink my stance.

Patti

I would have no problems with the name myself. I always felt my name was kind of boring.

Discotrish
07-02-2010, 02:26 PM
I would have no problems with the name myself. I always felt my name was kind of boring.

"Why couldn't mom and dad have given me a BORING name?"

Well I don't know what the dynamic was in terms of coming up with this, but in our house either of us could propose whatever names we wanted but the hard and fast rule was that we both had veto power.

This is not the sort of thing to give in on if you're not crazy about the name.

It's very difficult to undo if you end up having regrets.

I'm having "pre-grets" on your behalf.

Thurm! You're needed over here. LOG too.

Patti

X-Era
07-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Why cant it be:

Red... like Red Skelton only Red Bedard.

Or

Fred Bedard

Or

Drade B. Bedard

Or

Fa... middle name King... Bedard, which would be Fa King Bedard (say it out loud).

Or

X-Era
07-02-2010, 02:29 PM

Something about Doug Flutie Fusco doesnt sound right.

RockStar36
07-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Good idea.

I can name my kid Tyler Myers.

Although naming your kid born a year ago Tiger Woods would be problematic.

Good thing I didn't have a baby during the Losman era.

X-Era
07-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Good thing I didn't have a baby during the Losman era.

:up:

shelby
07-03-2010, 07:50 AM
i sense this thread will soon migrate to the hall of fame. Fascinating!!!!!111

SquishDaFish
07-03-2010, 08:44 AM
Jude. For some reason I like that name of the two

Dr. Lecter
07-03-2010, 09:51 AM
What the hell do you two know about it?
Taking a stand opposite of Patti is usually a good idea.

Bling
07-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Hey Jude...

Discotrish
07-04-2010, 08:06 AM
Let me tell you a story about names back from my high school days. We were in social studies class, and we had this one teacher who was single, in her mid-twenties, one of my better teachers actually, and she had great clothes etc. Well toward the end of the class on some days she would tell us about her weekend because she had this boyfriend, and they always did cool things. So we heard these stories for a couple of months and enjoyed them because A) that meant we were done with schoolwork for that period, and B) she had a cool life that we would someday hope to have ourselves.

But, she never told us her boyfriend's name, just referred to him as her boyfriend. Well some of the girls in the class (this is an all-girl H.S.) started asking, what's his name, tell us his name. But she wouldn't.

Well finally after a couple weeks of pestering she gave in. She said okay, I'll tell you his name, his name is (DRAMATIC PAUSE) "Leo."

Well! The classroom exploded in laughter that was so loud that I can hear it in my head 'til this day. It was just uncontrolled! You could see that our teacher was terribly embarrassed at this reaction. She was crabby about it, you could tell.

Well some time after that, she is telling us another story about her boyfriend, but this time she says his middle name is (ahem) MICHAEL, and he actually prefers to go by his middle name of Michael. And ever thereafter in that class she referred to the boyfriend as "Michael."

And I thought to myself, sheesh, she should've used Michael all along and saved herself all the embarrassment.

Moral of the story: Julien/Jude = Leo

Don't put his future girlfriends in an awkward position like that one.

Patti

shelby
07-04-2010, 09:51 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CnDx7iBIKOE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CnDx7iBIKOE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Dujek
07-04-2010, 09:52 AM
I prefer Jude as a name by itself, but Julien works better with Michael, so I voted for that.

YardRat
07-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Scrap 'em both, and go with 'Chuck'.

Ground Chuck
07-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Chuck sounds good to me.

Ground Chuck
07-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Are their prenatal tests now that tell you if your child is going to be gay? If so, good choices.

T-Long
07-05-2010, 07:28 PM
My newborn's son's name is Kaden. My wife didn't want 2 Terry's in the house, so he has Terrence as his middle name.

And btw, I like Julien

Discotrish
07-05-2010, 07:42 PM
I have another name story from my good olden days. When I was in college, the first week we were there, my roommate meets this guy she really likes. I hadn't met him, but she's telling me about him.

She says, "His name is Julian, but he's really nice, cute, a really great guy!" Etc. Notice the BUT. Now, there was nothing further said about that, but it was this tacit understanding that this guy had not that great of a name, but it didn't matter, he was a GREAT guy! (Confirming Lecter's point -- it doesn't really matter what your name is.) But it also speaks to my point, which is the name was a bit of an obstacle, but no matter, he was a GREAT GUY.

So I'm hearing about him for several days, Julian this Julian that (I'm just assuming on the spelling here), I saw Julian between classes, we might meet up to go out this weekend. All Julian, all the time.

Well they got together that weekend, and when she came back to our room I ask her how it went. She said, "Well, we had a great time, but the most embarrassing thing happened." I said what was that; she said, "it turns out his name isn't Julian. Well it is, but it's his LAST name, and I've been calling him Julian this whole time like an idiot! And he never corrected me. Until one of his friends did tonight."

Haha. Turns out, Julian was his LAST name, she had heard one of the guys on his floor calling him that, and just sort of picked up on it without a formal introduction, and the guy either was too embarrassed to correct her, or maybe he thought this chick just liked calling him by his last name, who knows.

The important thing in this whole story is the "BUT." It's like a red flag for this particular name. Maybe make it his last name or something. But definitely not the first name.

Patti

lordofgun
07-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Our third son is named Jude.

Also, Julien sounds like a black kid.

Discotrish
07-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Our third son is named Jude.

Also, Julien sounds like a black kid.

Well finally, we have the voice of reason here. Someone who has the actual name and experience with it. So I think if we can get a few questions answered that would be helpful, LOG:

1) Is he of middle school age or older?
2) Does he like his name?
3) Does he still go by that name?

I think if we can get positive answers to these questions then we can clear at least one of the names in question to be safely used by the Bedard family in spite of Discotrish rantings to the contrary.

Patti

The King
07-06-2010, 07:39 AM
Patti did you completely ignore the links I posted?

Where about 85% of people with both names say they like their name?

Discotrish
07-06-2010, 07:45 AM

There are only two ways this can end. One is, some friend of family member talks sense into you (or you just come to your sense naturally) and choose a nice regular boy name for your son.

Second scenario is the Julien/Jude Make Life Difficult For My Kid option is deployed. One of those labels actually ends up on the birth certificate.

Then we wait 8-10 years. Billszone is now based in Toronto, and Discotrish has long since washed out to sea in a Methane-Based Tsunami.

But each time your kid says he'd like to change his name to something else, or that he wants to use his middle name, or can't he please please please have a nickname, you will be thinking of DISCOTRISH! The anonymous internet entity who knew better.

Patti

pmoon6
07-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Names are important business. Our civilization has been forged by men who were named by parents who had respect for themselves, their children and Western Civilization. For centuries men have carried dignified names like Ronald, Magnus, Dick, George, Arnold, Gunter, Winston and the list goes on and on. These names signify manliness. There is no mistaking a kid's upbringing when his name is Magnus, for instance. When you meet a seven year old named Magnus you know that his father was a man. You also know that his father named him. Women cannot be trusted to name boys under any circumstance.

I have literally heard women say "You can't name a child Magnus, there is no short, cute version of that name". What the **** are you talking about? Short and cute? **** all that noise. A young man should NOT have a name that can be shortened into some cutsey name. Another objection I have heard is "You can't name your child Magnus people will call him 'Maggie'". My retort "My son will have recourse to knock a kid out in that case". Point being is that if your child's name is Magnus or Dick... people will take him seriously and, more importantly, he will take himself seriously.

If you read through the most popular boy names in this country you will see real names like John, Matthew, Alexander, etc. Nothing wrong with that. If you look deeper you see name abortions like Jayden, Aiden, Jackson, Dylan, Tyler, Mason, Landon, Brayden, Austin, Aidan, Hunter, Brody, Julian..... ok enough of this, typing these names is making me ill. If your son is named any of these, you are a ****ing idiot and should have your balls cut off immediately. Why? A name like the above PROVES that you let your wife or more appropriately (in most cases I am sure) your "baby-momma" name your boy. No actual man would ever name his boy "Brayden". How is a boy named Brayden supposed to be anything but a pole smoker who loves the government and thinks guns are evil? Answer... he won't. He will major in art and think that Tofu is a legitimate protein source. As a man, he can do nothing but fail and its his parents fault.

rbochan
07-06-2010, 08:15 AM

Can't let those pesky facts get in the way...

lordofgun
07-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Names are important business. Our civilization has been forged by men who were named by parents who had respect for themselves, their children and Western Civilization. For centuries men have carried dignified names like Ronald, Magnus, Dick, George, Arnold, Gunter, Winston and the list goes on and on. These names signify manliness. There is no mistaking a kid's upbringing when his name is Magnus, for instance. When you meet a seven year old named Magnus you know that his father was a man. You also know that his father named him. Women cannot be trusted to name boys under any circumstance.

I have literally heard women say "You can't name a child Magnus, there is no short, cute version of that name". What the **** are you talking about? Short and cute? **** all that noise. A young man should NOT have a name that can be shortened into some cutsey name. Another objection I have heard is "You can't name your child Magnus people will call him 'Maggie'". My retort "My son will have recourse to knock a kid out in that case". Point being is that if your child's name is Magnus or Dick... people will take him seriously and, more importantly, he will take himself seriously.

If you read through the most popular boy names in this country you will see real names like John, Matthew, Alexander, etc. Nothing wrong with that. If you look deeper you see name abortions like Jayden, Aiden, Jackson, Dylan, Tyler, Mason, Landon, Brayden, Austin, Aidan, Hunter, Brody, Julian..... ok enough of this, typing these names is making me ill. If your son is named any of these, you are a ****ing idiot and should have your balls cut off immediately. Why? A name like the above PROVES that you let your wife or more appropriately (in most cases I am sure) your "baby-momma" name your boy. No actual man would ever name his boy "Brayden". How is a boy named Brayden supposed to be anything but a pole smoker who loves the government and thinks guns are evil? Answer... he won't. He will major in art and think that Tofu is a legitimate protein source. As a man, he can do nothing but fail and its his parents fault.
Jude, then?

shelby
07-06-2010, 02:29 PM
:rofl:

shelby
07-06-2010, 02:30 PM
For the record, my son's name is John. But we call him Jack.

:nana:

mercyrule
07-06-2010, 02:40 PM
For the record, my son's name is John. But we call him Jack.

:nana: I recommend not naming your boy Richard or any common nicknames that derive from it - even if moonie thinks it's manly. John and the derivative Jack is very cool.

LtFinFan66
07-06-2010, 02:42 PM

Where about 85% of people with both names say they like their name?are you seriously trying to reason with Patti? Are you drunk?

G Wolly
07-06-2010, 03:16 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eDdI7GhZSQA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eDdI7GhZSQA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The King
07-06-2010, 03:19 PM
are you seriously trying to reason with Patti? Are you drunk?I am just riding this train to the HOF.

I do like how Patti is so passionate about my son though!

pmoon6
07-06-2010, 03:48 PM
I recommend not naming your boy Richard or any common nicknames that derive from it - even if moonie thinks it's manly. John and the derivative Jack is very cool.My sons name is David. I compromised with the birth mother. I wanted Magnus, but marriage is a partnership. My second was George Smith, but that got shot down too.

Apart from my previous post, it might be good to name the kid Sally or Sue. He will have to fight all the time.

Now, you parents wouldn't want him to learn the downside of violence at such a young age, now would you?

Discotrish
07-06-2010, 06:07 PM
I am just riding this train to the HOF.

I do like how Patti is so passionate about my son though!

Someone has to go to bat for the kid's interests.

Patti

The King
07-07-2010, 07:22 AM
Would you be the God Mother Patti?

The last buffalo fan
07-07-2010, 10:26 AM

Only if the Last Buffalo Fan is the God Father.

Patti

The Jokeman
07-07-2010, 01:10 PM
I'm a little surprised that Jackson or Lewis er Louis weren't choices.

Discotrish
07-07-2010, 02:13 PM

I think you have me confused with a fairy!

http://helenimoetz.blog.friendster.com/files/tinkerbell-flowers-lunch-napkin2.png

Patti

Dr. Lecter
07-07-2010, 03:39 PM
I think you have me confused with a fairy!

Patti

I don't think anybody ever has confused you for justa.

Discotrish
07-08-2010, 10:36 PM
With so many views on this thread I think a follow-up will be necessary once the official name is chosen.

Patti