PDA

View Full Version : NHL Network Tonight

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2010, 02:35 PM
1975 game six of the Stanley Cup Finals Philadelphia Flyers @ Buffalo Sabres

This was the one to clinch the Cup for Philly, but for those who are younger, it is a chance to see the French Connection in action.

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2010, 02:35 PM
oh, it's on at 8:00 Eastern

G Wolly
07-05-2010, 02:45 PM
I love watching the old games. I'm more of a traditional kinda guy and I like seeing how the game used to be played.

Ebenezer
07-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Too bad it wasn't game 3 or 4.

G Wolly
07-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Too bad it wasn't game 3 or 4.

I hate Philadelphia sports

Ebenezer
07-05-2010, 04:57 PM
I hate Philadelphia sports
here's the thing...none of games 3, 4 or 6 were on TV locally.

G Wolly
07-05-2010, 06:01 PM
What was the reason for that?

Which game was the Fog game then? 5?

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2010, 09:27 PM
What was the reason for that?

Which game was the Fog game then? 5?

Back then there was no TV contract. I didn't know the games weren't on TV for home games. They were on till past my bedtime. :(

Game 3 was the fog game.

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Some thoughts on the game.

Commentators were the Philly ones and the one who did most of the game was an idiot. He even said when the fans were going nuts about a not call that Craig Ramsay did a hockey player move where you grab both of the guys arms around your front so that it "looks like" he is holding you.

Funny, but the reason they lost was because of some similar reasons why the Sabres lose today. Barely any power play. Can't hit the net. Poor officiating.

They did look as big as Philly though mostly and they didn't get "out toughed". They just couldn't put away their opportunities. Dudley had several, Lorenz had a few givaways, barely saw Gare. Martin and Perreault had a great opportunity on a two on one with Perreault with the puck and instead of driving on the side, he fell back to the center and had a weak shot on goal.

Ebenezer
07-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Back then there was no TV contract. I didn't know the games weren't on TV for home games. They were on till past my bedtime. :(

Game 3 was the fog game.
Away games were the only ones on (and that was on Ch. 7 - there was no cable coverage until '77) except the rare occasion during the regular season. I still remember that game #1 against Montreal was on local TV.

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Away games were the only ones on (and that was on Ch. 7 - there was no cable coverage until '77) except the rare occasion during the regular season. I still remember that game #1 against Montreal was on local TV.

But weren't all the games on CBC? I thought the Canadian station showed them all?

Ebenezer
07-05-2010, 10:55 PM
But weren't all the games on CBC? I thought the Canadian station showed them all?
yes...but again, very few people in the area had cable TV...you had to have a good antenna, which few people had. We had an antenna and could barely get Ch. 11 in Hamilton. Also, they showed one game unlike today...and it was always a Canadian team.

chernobylwraiths
07-06-2010, 07:37 AM
yes...but again, very few people in the area had cable TV...you had to have a good antenna, which few people had. We had an antenna and could barely get Ch. 11 in Hamilton. Also, they showed one game unlike today...and it was always a Canadian team.

I still think Hockey Night in Canada played all the playoff games they could, especially the Stanley Cup finals. We had an antenna and lived close to the river, so we got 5, 11 and 9 out of Canada. We also didn't get cable until the early 80s.

Ebenezer
07-06-2010, 09:58 AM
I still think Hockey Night in Canada played all the playoff games they could, especially the Stanley Cup finals. We had an antenna and lived close to the river, so we got 5, 11 and 9 out of Canada. We also didn't get cable until the early 80s.

Yes and no. CBC had HNIC. Ch. 11 carried the Leafs regular season games and CTV didn't carry at all. There were only three Canadian teams. They didn't worry about broadcasting into the American market because their signal had trouble getting to Buffalo. CBC carried one game a night - Toronto or Montreal for the east coast and Vancouver for the left coast. Vancouver sucked and rarely made the playoffs back then. They probably did show all the games of the finals but again, you lived close to the river. In West Seneca we didn't get anything. And finally, to complicate it, most week night games started at 8PM. As you said earlier, many of the games either started at, or finished well after, bed time for a lot of kids.