PDA

View Full Version : Lalime re-signed with one year contract

hydro
07-07-2010, 04:13 PM
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/728033535/lebrun_pierre_55_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun) Real_ESPNLeBrun (http://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun) (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/)
Sabres announce they've brought back Pat Lalime on one-year deal

Also mentioned by John Murphy on channel 4 news.

G Wolly
07-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Cool

THATHURMANATOR
07-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Fine by me.

Don't think he is any worse than Biron who everyone licks so hard.

Nighthawk
07-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Lalame (Mr. Guaranteed Loss) is back...oh goodie.

RockStar36
07-07-2010, 06:42 PM
The deal is only 600K, which is a nice deal cap wise.

Nighthawk
07-07-2010, 07:08 PM
The deal is only 600K, which is a nice deal cap wise.

No problem with the deal...I have a problem with him not being able to win a game.

RockStar36
07-07-2010, 07:23 PM
No problem with the deal...I have a problem with him not being able to win a game.

He was decent from time to time, but I definitely don't have a ton of confidence in him.

I bet he'd be better if he got more playing time, although that is doubtful with the way he's been handled for the past two seasons.

DMBcrew36
07-07-2010, 07:49 PM
As if there was any doubt.
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=3261552&postcount=7

And IMO he's a fine back-up - he just needs to play more (which has been the story with our back-up goaltenders for a few seasons now, Lindy).

clumping platelets
07-07-2010, 10:49 PM
:clap:

jamze132
07-08-2010, 02:51 AM
I wish I could get $600K to play goalie once per week and lose.

rbochan
07-08-2010, 06:32 AM
I just hope it's a 2-way deal. I'd rather see Enroth.

trapezeus
07-08-2010, 08:11 AM
at $600k, it's a pretty good deal. you test him out a little, and then you keep an eye on enroth. if he shows that he's ready for the jump, around all star week, you let him make the jump while miller dazzles at the all star game.

If he takes, then lalime is really just a practice goalie and insurance. you already know no one will touch him as free agency has shown. So you could send him to the minors if he needs to play.

and if enroth isn't ready, then lalime plays the 12-15 games a year spread out, he losses most, and miller is forced to play a long season like he has the last couple years anyways.

OpIv37
07-08-2010, 08:41 AM
and if enroth isn't ready, then lalime plays the 12-15 games a year spread out, he losses most, and miller is forced to play a long season like he has the last couple years anyways.

This is what scares me.

We've used this strategy the last two years, with disappointing results. Granted, the Sabres' problems go beyond backup goaltending, but don't make me bust out the cliche about doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Changes are needed, and the changes that have been made are insufficient in both quantity and quality.

THATHURMANATOR
07-08-2010, 08:47 AM
This is what scares me.

We've used this strategy the last two years, with disappointing results. Granted, the Sabres' problems go beyond backup goaltending, but don't make me bust out the cliche about doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Changes are needed, and the changes that have been made are insufficient in both quantity and quality.
I can agree that changes are needed, but I don't believe backup goalie was one of them. Lindy doesn't know how to use a back up. He runs his starters into the ground. No goalie can be sharp if they play only 1 game every two weeks.

We need to get rid of Connolly and Stafford. Two heartless bums. Problem is that other teams have scouts that realize they are heartless bums. I am so dissapointed in both those guys. Both have so much talent I don't get how they dissapear for such long stretches.

THATHURMANATOR
07-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Plus if you haven't read or heard, Miller and Lalime are good friends and get along very well. That probably counted for something as well.

Jan Reimers
07-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Lalime actually had a decent season, considering his lack of use in Lindy's system. And his performance had no real bearing on either our winning the division or losing in the first round of the playoffs.

The backup goalie will never be a key position on a Ruff-coached team, so there is little point in *****ing about this issue.

RockStar36
07-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Plus if you haven't read or heard, Miller and Lalime are good friends and get along very well. That probably counted for something as well.

I think it was said numerous times that Lalime was going to be the choice once Miller called him out during his Vezina speech.

trapezeus
07-08-2010, 09:46 AM
This is what scares me.

i don't see it as the same strategy.

Thibeault was replaced as he was god awful with la lime. Lalime had two years and was what he was. there were no better back ups out there at the time and enroth was in the beginning of being developed.

This year, Lalime had run out his contract, and enroth isn't there yet, but there weren't really any lights out better options. Sure we could pay $1mm for marty biron who people love because he loves the area, or we could pay someone $600k.

I'll be disappointed if they really don't see the need to move connolly or stafford. more so connolly. the concussions caught up with him. he doesn't dangle, he isn't a playmaker threat when he touches the puck. he had some brilliance in the regular season, but that doesn't really matter. i'd rather hte sabres sneak into the playoffs with the 7-8 seed and have heart and grit to go the distance thna be a #3 seed that lays down at every turn.

The sabres neeeed the PP QB defensemen. The biggest issue aside from heart in the playoffs was the O-for whatever on the PP. if we are trying to have 4 lock down lines that play good defense, we don't necesarily need a sniper forward who scores all the time, but we do need the pp to be an advantage for our team.