• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yasgur's Farm
    • Feb 2005

Schobel did not collect his $2M roster bonus

This is the 1st I've heard this...

Possibly defensive end Aaron Schobel. The franchise’s No. 2 career sacks leader has been pondering retirement all offseason. Schobel, 32, was due a $2 million roster bonus in March but he didn’t take the physical required to collect it. That doesn’t sound good.
    Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 07-11-2010, 09:16 AM.
  • Nighthawk
    Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
    • Jul 2002

Re: Schobel did not collect his $2M roster bonus

I thought I heard this back when he didn't report.

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by draz54
      The reporter said "this doesn't sound good". Well, it sounds good to me. The Bills are building for the future. They don't need to waste money on an old 4-3 DE when they are going to the 3-4.

Comment

• trapezeus
        Legendary Zoner
        • Oct 2004

bills need to move forward from schobel. older players really need to want to be there because if they aren't in top notch shape, they'll get hurt first in a season.

if he doesn't want to be here, let's thank him for his service and be on our way to a 3 4.

Comment

• Goobylal
          • Jan 2004

He shouldn't have gotten the bonus if he's still not sure he's going to play.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by better days
            The reporter said "this doesn't sound good". Well, it sounds good to me. The Bills are building for the future. They don't need to waste money on an old 4-3 DE when they are going to the 3-4.
            I think the reporter still has a point, but he stated the wrong reason. Schobel probably isn't the answer, and to be honest I was never a huge fan of him anyway. But we didn't add any proven 3-4 pass rushers, so the pass rush will still be a problem.

Or, to put it another way, losing Schobel as we transition to the 3-4 isn't a problem but we still need to upgrade the pass rush.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

And actually, if this is true I give Schobel some credit. I still dont like how he is jerking the team around, but at least he he didn't take the team's money and run.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Stewie
                Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                • Aug 2002

He's been is a class act. Sometimes streaky, but the most consistent player in a forgettable decade. Let the man play in Houston. Give him a gold watch and try and get a 7th for him.
                Originally posted by Topdog
                Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                Originally posted by mercyrule
                I love Weiner.
                Originally posted by mercyrule
                also cheese

Comment

• Cleve
                  • Oct 2004

Originally posted by better days
                  I think the authors were referring to Schobel's future in the NFL - not so much the Buffalo Bills as a team. The fact he didn't take the physical probably means he's got issues.

However, their assessment of the Bills - 5-11 - is probably what most pundits outside Western NY think of the team's chances.

They were spot on when they wrote - "Their starting quarterback (when Buffalo settles on one) would be a backup on most teams"

That's been the Bills' biggest problem for years - and you can blame Dick Jauron for causing the problem, and then aged Ralph Wilson for prolonging it by diddling around until last year to finally clean house - he should have done it 5 years ago. However, there just weren't any decent franchise-building Q-backs available this year.

So we're stuck with the 3 Stooges for 2010. And maybe it wasn't a coincidence that Wilson waited until this year to fire Jauron & Company- think of the millions of dollars the ever-frugal Wilson saved by having a perfect excuse not to go out and hire a good quarterback this year.
                  Last edited by Cleve; 07-11-2010, 01:32 PM.

This lowly cart.... it hits harder and has a higher yards
                  per play average than the Bills' offense!

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

i think Trent would be a hell of a backup. cerebral...takes what is given to him, and could play 3-5 games injury free.

as a starter, you really are rollinig the dice on his ability to stay healthy for an entire season. But that's the gamble we are most likely taking.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Trade him to Houston

Comment

• Ebenezer
                        Give me a minute...
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by clumping platelets
                        Trade him to Houston

at this point get something for him. one of the Bills problems is that they have never been "bad". What do I mean? Constantly finishing 7-9 and picking in the middle of the pack hasn't been bad but isn't going to turn the franchise around. I truly think they have a long term plan but that plan includes "tanking" this season. Why? They need an impact QB. There weren't any where they picked. To ensure a high enough pick they need to be bad. There are only a couple of winnable games on the schedule (even with last years team). Might as well go out and suck and get a top 3 pick. Why have Schobel around to improve the team?

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                          short bus extraordinaire
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by clumping platelets
                          Trade him to Houston

what are we talking in return? draft pick(s)? player(s)?
                          Originally posted by yordad
                          Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                            Give me a minute...
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
                            what are we talking in return? draft pick(s)? player(s)?
                            the basic "whatever we can get"

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• mayotm
                              • Jul 2003

Trading Schobel isn't that simple due to his contract. He would have to agree to take much less money before Houston would even consider it.

Comment

Working...
                              X