PDA

View Full Version : QB's and DE's dominate the top of the 2011 draft

X-Era
07-12-2010, 06:08 AM
According to Evan Silva from Rotoworld:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/36831645/ns/sports-nfl/

psubills62
07-13-2010, 03:46 PM
WR is strong as well, if the majority of the juniors enter the draft.

Buffalo severely needs an upgrade at QB, but I don't think this regime will reach for a QB if they don't think he deserves to be drafted wherever we're picking. They're not going to take a QB just to take one.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they ended up with a WR or DE in the first round next year. There are some really good prospects at those positions (can't believe Cameron Heyward didn't make the top 20). It'll be interesting to see which way they go.

They obviously need QB, WR, and OT. Getting a DE may seem like a bit of a luxury pick, but Stroud and Sp. Johnson will be phased out after a couple years, most likely. I think they'll pick at least another NT and another DE.

X-Era
07-13-2010, 04:54 PM
WR is strong as well, if the majority of the juniors enter the draft.

Buffalo severely needs an upgrade at QB, but I don't think this regime will reach for a QB if they don't think he deserves to be drafted wherever we're picking. They're not going to take a QB just to take one.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they ended up with a WR or DE in the first round next year. There are some really good prospects at those positions (can't believe Cameron Heyward didn't make the top 20). It'll be interesting to see which way they go.

They obviously need QB, WR, and OT. Getting a DE may seem like a bit of a luxury pick, but Stroud and Sp. Johnson will be phased out after a couple years, most likely. I think they'll pick at least another NT and another DE.
On WR, Jones, Floyd, and Green are studs... Id like to watch more of Baldwin. I could see three going in the 1st round at this point but obviously a ton can change.

On QB. I'm not as high on this years crop as most. Locker was way to inconsistent to earn a early 1st pick IMO. Mallett is also very inconsistent and seems like he may have a bit too much arrogance which may turn teams away. Luck is raw as well, but looks like a good prospect... he may not declare. Then you have Devlin who could be very good but who seemed to fade against top competition.

All in all, we have a lot of football to play before making a determination, but I could see this years crop ending up like this past drafts, or ending up with two blue-chippers, maybe three. And only Locker has started all 4 years and even he was out most of his 08 campaign... Lots of green in this crop.

I could see a WR, but Evans is locked up through the 2012 season and we have lots of youth.

OT seems like a likley target... but if Meredith or Bell steps up and looks like a possible breakout by seasons end, I could see us staying put.

After reading all this, I should have just said its too early to tell much of anything.

DraftBoy
07-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Not one QB is a top 15 guy as of now.

X-Era
07-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Not one QB is a top 15 guy as of now.

I, like you, don't see it yet. I can see Locker becoming more consistent and becoming a blue-chipper. But Luck and Mallett have a bit farther to go IMO.

However, I have yet to see any draft sites that don't have at least Locker in the top 15, and I have seen several that have all 3 (Locker, Luck, Mallett).

DraftBoy
07-14-2010, 07:38 AM
I, like you, don't see it yet. I can see Locker becoming more consistent and becoming a blue-chipper. But Luck and Mallett have a bit farther to go IMO.

However, I have yet to see any draft sites that don't have at least Locker in the top 15, and I have seen several that have all 3 (Locker, Luck, Mallett).

Luck is there already, I dont count him since he's a RS SO, and has said he wants a degree before he leaves for the NFL.

Locker and Mallet in the top 20 is a joke, I have both as late 1st-early 2nd guys right now.

psubills62
07-14-2010, 08:44 AM
On WR, Jones, Floyd, and Green are studs... Id like to watch more of Baldwin. I could see three going in the 1st round at this point but obviously a ton can change.

On QB. I'm not as high on this years crop as most. Locker was way to inconsistent to earn a early 1st pick IMO. Mallett is also very inconsistent and seems like he may have a bit too much arrogance which may turn teams away. Luck is raw as well, but looks like a good prospect... he may not declare. Then you have Devlin who could be very good but who seemed to fade against top competition.

All in all, we have a lot of football to play before making a determination, but I could see this years crop ending up like this past drafts, or ending up with two blue-chippers, maybe three. And only Locker has started all 4 years and even he was out most of his 08 campaign... Lots of green in this crop.

I could see a WR, but Evans is locked up through the 2012 season and we have lots of youth.

OT seems like a likley target... but if Meredith or Bell steps up and looks like a possible breakout by seasons end, I could see us staying put.

After reading all this, I should have just said its too early to tell much of anything.

I agree with you. The QB's have the potential to be really good, but that means several guys (Locker, Mallett, etc.) will need to step it up. To expect all of them to take the steps needed to be a high first round pick seems unreasonable.

We do have youth at WR, but they're still lacking talent. Steve Johnson would be a decent backup, Hardy is on his way out, imo, and Easley is probably the only guy who could fill our void at WR#2. If they see a lot from Easley towards the end of the season, they may not go with WR. However, think about getting a guy like AJ Green or Julio Jones to pair with Evans and an emerging Easley in the slot.

That would be a lot of playmakers on our team, and the makings of a really good offense that even Trent Edwards could work with. I think Gailey/Nix have shown that playmakers are important to them, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them draft a WR high next year if he can add a lot to the team.

At this point, the 2010 draft showed me that this regime won't reach for players they aren't sure about, even at positions of need. They may or may not address QB/OT early next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see them grab a really good talent in the first round next year at a position that doesn't seem to be as in need, then address OT/QB in rounds 2 and 3.

Of course, this is fairly early, as we don't know what will happen in 2010. But at this point it appears we have a pretty good idea, especially since they didn't do anything to address OT or QB in the offseason.

psubills62
07-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Luck is there already, I dont count him since he's a RS SO, and has said he wants a degree before he leaves for the NFL.

Locker and Mallet in the top 20 is a joke, I have both as late 1st-early 2nd guys right now.

You think Luck is that good of a QB?

DraftBoy
07-14-2010, 10:33 AM
You think Luck is that good of a QB?

Absolutely, he has good size, above average athleticism, great mechanics, smart QB with the ball, goes through progressions, feels pressure, and stays cool under the gun. I want to see him take more snaps and see what he does without a dominant ground game but right now if I include Luck, Mallet, and Locker into my QB rankings, Id say;

1. Luck
2. Ponder
3. Devlin
4. Locker
5. Enderle
6. Mallett

X-Era
07-15-2010, 05:40 AM

So, pretty much everybody, including you and I, adjust our rankings throughout the year; sometimes significantly. That's why, at this point, I think you will see so much variation in the rankings.

My gut says Locker has the best chance to be taken in the top 15. But even that doesn't seem like a lock at this point.

They all are just so unpolished.

DraftBoy
07-15-2010, 07:07 AM
So, pretty much everybody, including you and I, adjust our rankings throughout the year; sometimes significantly. That's why, at this point, I think you will see so much variation in the rankings.

My gut says Locker has the best chance to be taken in the top 15. But even that doesn't seem like a lock at this point.

They all are just so unpolished.

Id hope they adjust or else they'd be an idiot. But I still dont see Locker as a top 15 talent but Id already put Luck in that category. Locker has to have a near super human season to get him into my top 15 with how good this class is right now.

k-oneputt
07-15-2010, 03:51 PM
Absolutely, he has good size, above average athleticism, great mechanics, smart QB with the ball, goes through progressions, feels pressure, and stays cool under the gun. I want to see him take more snaps and see what he does without a dominant ground game but right now if I include Luck, Mallet, and Locker into my QB rankings, Id say;

1. Luck
2. Ponder
3. Devlin
4. Locker
5. Enderle
6. Mallett

I'll bet you anything you want that those 5 qb's won't all get drafted before Mallett.
Where do you come up with some of this ?

ZAZusmc03
07-15-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm with you on that list DB, I think Luck and Ponder, if injuries don't occur, will be top 2 QB's taken in next years draft.

DraftBoy
07-16-2010, 07:36 AM
I'll bet you anything you want that those 5 qb's won't all get drafted before Mallett.
Where do you come up with some of this ?

Watching football and knowing what to look for. I told you last year about Claussen not being as good as many people had him built up to me. I didnt anticipate him falling as far as he did, but that alone validated my opinion/scouting report on him. If you dont agree with my rankings that's fine. They are preseason they will change plenty between now and next April.

DraftBoy
07-16-2010, 07:41 AM
I'm with you on that list DB, I think Luck and Ponder, if injuries don't occur, will be top 2 QB's taken in next years draft.

Keep in mind that Luck has stated he wants to get his degree before going to the NFL. However he is also a RS SO, which means he is a 3rd year student so if he is on a fast track he could finish this Spring or Summer and still declare.

At this time I dont expect Luck to declare for the NFL draft in 2011, but if his HC leaves the program all bets are off.

X-Era
07-16-2010, 01:49 PM
So, I don't think anyone can give an accurate idea of where these guys will be drafted in July. Its going to change between now and then. I think this QB crop will especially volatile because of the rawness and/or unpolished play that so many seem to have.

Speaking for myself, Ive nailed some picks, but blown plenty as well. I like to do the analysis for the fun in it. I put out an idea on where I think they will go just to see how close I am. It seems you get better with experience, but for me, I still make bad calls on quite a few.

In the end, no one really knows for sure, the teams often don't know what each other will do, which means people outside of those circles have even less idea.

k-oneputt
07-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Watching football and knowing what to look for. I told you last year about Claussen not being as good as many people had him built up to me. I didnt anticipate him falling as far as he did, but that alone validated my opinion/scouting report on him. If you dont agree with my rankings that's fine. They are preseason they will change plenty between now and next April.

You also told me Dwyer was the best rb in the draft and he went in the 6th. rd., so what are you getting at ?
Who knows in a couple of years Dwyer may be the best back and Claussen the best qb, time will tell.

DraftBoy
07-20-2010, 11:56 AM
You also told me Dwyer was the best rb in the draft and he went in the 6th. rd., so what are you getting at ?
Who knows in a couple of years Dwyer may be the best back and Claussen the best qb, time will tell.

No I said he may be the best, check out my rankings. I am very careful to not paint myself into a corner. If I said he is the best, then I misspoke and that's not just because he went in Rd 6 which had far less to do with his talent than his failed tests and interviews.

JCBills
07-28-2010, 06:38 PM

1. Luck
2. Ponder
3. Devlin
4. Locker
5. Enderle
6. Mallett

I was going to say I'm surprised there hasn't been as much buzz around Ponder compared to a lot of other guys.

DraftBoy
07-29-2010, 07:40 AM
I was going to say I'm surprised there hasn't been as much buzz around Ponder compared to a lot of other guys.

I think he has the best Vegas odds of winning the Heisman right now. And he has the biggest heisman campaign money wise going.

Personally though Im cheering for Ricky Dobbs to be the Heisman winner.

k-oneputt
01-25-2011, 02:58 PM

1. Luck
2. Ponder
3. Devlin
4. Locker
5. Enderle
6. Mallett

DraftBoy
01-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Ill be damned, different even recall I did that. Kudos. Oh well.