PDA

View Full Version : Spiller In No Rush To Sign Contract

homeslice5484
07-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Bills rookie running back C.J. Spiller says he's not in a hurry to get his contract signed, even if that means he won't be there on the first day of training camp.

"I let my agent handle all of that," Spiller told Clifton Brown of Sporting News. "We're not going to rush. We're going to make sure we cross our T's and dot our I's, however long the process takes. I just have to be patient."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/12/cj-spiller-not-going-to-rush-to-sign-contract-before-camp/

BertSquirtgum
07-12-2010, 10:19 AM
sign the contract c.j.

you need to be at training camp.

justasportsfan
07-12-2010, 10:27 AM
There's no I in Team CJ.

Ed
07-12-2010, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't worry too much. If he does miss any time, CJ should be able to get caught up pretty quick. It's not like we're counting on him to be our starting LT or something like that.

DraftBoy
07-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Not the exact words I want to hear out of my 1st Round pick.

mikemac2001
07-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Not the exact words I want to hear out of my 1st Round pick.

i don't like the agent thing but im not worried i dont think CJ personality is the type to hold out very long

DraftBoy
07-12-2010, 10:45 AM
i don't like the agent thing but im not worried i dont think CJ personality is the type to hold out very long

Not to be a buzzkill but don't forget how he kept Clemson fans in limbo for a few weeks (maybe a month) after his Freshman year where he toyed with the idea of transferring to Florida to be closer to his kid.

Im not saying be worried but don't just place blind faith in him either, he has a record of keeping fans holding their breath on things like this.

Night Train
07-12-2010, 10:47 AM
This happens every year and sightings of a falling sky are widely reported.

Just let the process run it's course and you'll back him to the wall the second he takes one to the house.

psubills62
07-12-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm not really that worried, it doesn't sound like he's going to be looking for exorbitant amounts of money. Just wants to make sure and get the contract done the proper way before getting to TC. Sounds like what every first round pick wants to happen. I'd read more into this quote than any of the others:

It was good to get that support from veteran guys already — before negotiations have heated up.

IMO, that makes it sound like the Bills are currently negotiating with Spiller's agent.

Besides, the one pick I'm not worried about getting in to TC on time is Spiller. Yes, I know that every rookie needs as many reps as he can get, but Spiller is the most game-ready rookie we have at the position that can most easily transition to the NFL.

justasportsfan
07-12-2010, 10:51 AM
I think Nix gets it done to make sure Gaileys has all his vital players in order to get ready for the game vs. the fish.

The Spaz
07-12-2010, 10:53 AM
With the trend of us signing players earl I would hope it carries to Spiller as well.

trapezeus
07-12-2010, 12:38 PM
There's no I in Team CJ.

there are two in "millions" though.

but seriously, i wouldn't worry about this unless the slotting is clear as day and they are still not getting it sorted out.

cocamide
07-12-2010, 02:30 PM
We can't even begin to imagine what it must feel like to sign a contract worth millions of dollars. It's a huge deal, and if it were my life, I'd want to make sure everything in that contract was exactly the way I wanted it. Why would anyone want to rush something so important?

Commissioner
07-12-2010, 05:27 PM
He could blow his knee out and never play again in training camp. Might as well makes sure you get what you can.

tat2dmike77
07-12-2010, 08:31 PM
IF he is not signed in August then i will be concerned till then it's just filler news.

BillsWin
07-12-2010, 09:02 PM
We should cut him right now.

YardRat
07-12-2010, 09:21 PM
It's all going to come down to when and how much the players around him start signing for, as trap stated. The team isn't going to want to set the market high (which is probably what it would take to get him in early) and the agent won't allow the market to be set too low.

New Ro's Greatest
07-12-2010, 09:53 PM
He will be signed in 2 weeks! GO BILLS:biggrin:

jamze132
07-13-2010, 01:57 AM
Well in the event he does hold out and it reaches into the season, his position is the least of our concerns. But I don't see it lasting that long to begin with. Once other picks start to sign, its like a domino effect.

Griff
07-13-2010, 02:21 AM
wait he isn't going to sign the first contract put in front of him if it isn't enough? Shocker.

Johnny Bugmenot
07-13-2010, 11:30 AM
WAY too early to panic.

B-DON
07-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Sam Bradford was on the dan patrick show and he said his agent hasnt even started talking to the rams. i wouldnt worry about spiller

BertSquirtgum
07-13-2010, 03:49 PM
i don't get it. why wouldn't they at least be talking by now? that doesn't make sense to me. especially if you want to get any many reps in as possible.

Ickybaluky
07-13-2010, 10:09 PM
This is the one time all year when NFL teams shut down and front office people and coaches take vacation. In the next week they will get back to it and begin negotiations.

It isn't like everyone is out there signing. No first round pick has signed, and I think only one 2nd-rounder has.

Typ0
07-13-2010, 10:15 PM
i don't get it. why wouldn't they at least be talking by now? that doesn't make sense to me. especially if you want to get any many reps in as possible.

because both parties know that timing plays a significant role in the negotiation process.

BertSquirtgum
07-13-2010, 10:38 PM
<table class="s_playerNewsTable" width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td style="background: none repeat scroll 0% 0% rgb(25, 75, 140);" width="10">
</td> <td class="s_playerNewsTitle" style="background: none repeat scroll 0% 0% rgb(25, 75, 140);" width=""><table class="s_playerNewsTitle" width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td width="33" align="left">http://www.rotoworld.com/images/teamlogos/NFL_sm/BUF.gif</td><td align="left"> Bills' Spiller hints holdout could be coming (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=175557&id=5566)</td><td style="" align="right">
</td></tr></tbody></table> </td><td style="background: none repeat scroll 0% 0% rgb(25, 75, 140);" width="14">http://www.rotoworld.com/images/right_corner_player_news.gif</td> <td width="6">

http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif</td> </tr><tr> <td>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif</td> <td class="s_playerNewsLeftBorder">C.J. Spiller says he won't rush to sign his rookie contract before training camp.
"We're going to make sure we cross our T's and dot our I's, however long the process takes. I just have to be patient," said the No. 9 overall pick. Last year's No. 9 pick, B.J. Raji, held out of Packers camp for two weeks. That was partially due to Michael Crabtree's unique situation, but Spiller's comments indicate that he isn't ruling out a training camp holdout. Jul. 12 - 12:04 pm et
Source: Sporting News (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-07-12/bills-rb-cj-spiller-all-i-need-for-my-legs-stay-warm-and-my-feet)
</td><td class="s_playerNewsText">
</td></tr></tbody></table>