PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from the DC/Maryland area?

Italian Stallion
07-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Hey everyone...

Just curious who has any tips or pointers for me, since I've never been to the area. Fun things to do before or after the game? How bout a great seafood place ("Crabcakes and football...thats what Maryland does") I know my girl wants to see the sights in DC the next day.

I'm sitting in Sec 122 on the 50 yard line so I'm pretty pumped! Any help is appreciated!

:gobills: :gobills:

hammerbillsfan
07-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Valerie, OpIv37, :darth:, Dozerdog, some others can help you. :up:

OpIv37
07-12-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm a little busy at work right now but I'll send you some ideas when get home. How long will you be in town and where are you staying?

justasportsfan
07-12-2010, 12:05 PM
people there can't drive . Be careful with that one guy who's got road rage. He posts here all the time.

Ron Burgundy
07-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Crabcakes in Maryland are good, but the football is a joke and the fact that Marylanders pimp it out is reason #69,069,069 that Maryland is the worst state in the union.

In the FedEx area, I'd try and find a Jerry's Seafood. Their crabcakes are fantastic. Largo is good for chicken and waffles, which is an excellent meal for all occasions.

The food that's actually at the stadium sucks and is MASSIVELY overpriced. You'll be dropping 6 bucks for a glass of ice water, and I'm not exaggerating that at all. That's Dan Snyder for you...a true man of the people.

Italian Stallion
07-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Good suggestions fellas...I really want to get some good seafood.

I plan on taking the hotel shuttle to the game, so I don't have to pay for stadium lot parking.

Ill be in town from Friday to that Sunday, just a short little weekend getaway. I'll be staying at the Courtyard New Carrollton Landover Marriott.

Like I said, my girl wants to go check out the sights in DC the next day, any suggestions for a quick (relatively inexpensive) way to check out some of the main sights (White House, Lincoln Mem, etc.) Should I just drive to DC, take a cab, or are there some Public Transportation Services I could take advantage of?

Thanks guys!

PromoTheRobot
07-12-2010, 01:03 PM
http://www.stubhub.com/washington-redskins-tickets/redskins-vs-bills-fedexfield-957431/

StubHub has tickets starting at $4 ea. Tempted to grab a Southwest flight to BWI.

PTR

Italian Stallion
07-12-2010, 01:10 PM
http://www.stubhub.com/washington-redskins-tickets/redskins-vs-bills-fedexfield-957431/

StubHub has tickets starting at $4 ea. Tempted to grab a Southwest flight to BWI.

PTR

Yeah they are dirt cheap...thats why I jumped on them so quick.

McNabb's first game with the team too, even though it is preseason

ServoBillieves
07-12-2010, 01:49 PM
There is no exaggeration as to the incredibly overpriced everything at that stadium. You'll pay more for a beer than a ticket to a preseason game. I suggest that if you and the misses like to drink, get it going before you enter the stadium.

As for the area, I went to a game and left, didn't do any sight-seeing before or after.

bosshogg21
07-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Just metro down to the white house and museums. Everything with exception of a few of the museums are free. There is a new carrolton and landover stop. Just take it down to smithsonian. The map and metro are very easy to use.

Ron Burgundy
07-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Just metro down to the white house and museums. Everything with exception of a few of the museums are free. There is a new carrolton and landover stop. Just take it down to smithsonian. The map and metro are very easy to use.

Yup. Metro it up. You can spend a couple of days on the Smithsonian alone, and it's worth it to do so.

PromoTheRobot
07-12-2010, 06:02 PM
If you fly in to BWI, take the MARC train to New Carrollton, hop onto the Metro Orange Line to RFK Stadium Station, transfer to the Blue Line outbound to Morgan Blvd. Fed Ex Field is less than a mile walk from there. But I have heard than Dan Snyder charges people who walk to his stadium $8 anyway. Any truth to that?

PTR

OpIv37
07-12-2010, 10:42 PM
If you fly in to BWI, take the MARC train to New Carrollton, hop onto the Metro Orange Line to RFK Stadium Station, transfer to the Blue Line outbound to Morgan Blvd. Fed Ex Field is less than a mile walk from there. But I have heard than Dan Snyder charges people who walk to his stadium $8 anyway. Any truth to that?

PTR

It was true for a while but I believe they changed it due to public outcry.

Good advice on the metro.

Italian Stallion:
As far as going into the city, either the New Carrollton stop or the Landover stop will get you there. After RFK, the Orange and Blue lines run on the exact same track so it really doesn't matter. Your best bet is to go to the Smithsonian stop and get out on the national mall side. From there, you can walk west on the mall and see the Wash Monument, the WWII Memorial, the Korean War Memorial, Vietnam and Lincoln. Be forewarned though: it's a long walk.

If you're up for a really long walk, the Jefferson, George Mason and FDR memorials are just south of there, but you have to walk around the tidal basin. I think it's worth it- the FDR memorial is more like a park and is one of the nicer ones in the city, and it offers the best view of the Washington Monument in the city.

Speaking of which, if you want tickets to the Wash Monument, buy them before you go. It's "free", but if you get the tickets online, there is a $2 service charge. If you don't get the tickets, there's a good chance it will be booked and you won't get to do it. A close second is the Post Office Pavillion at 12th and Pennsylvania. There is a tower at the top and it's free and usually has no line or a very short line. It isn't as high as the Wash Monument, but the view is much more open so you get a more panoramic effect.

If it rains or if it's too hot (this summer has been brutal so far), the Smithsonian Museums are free. The American History and Natural History museums are on Constitution on either side of 12th (just a block South of the Post Office Pavilion. The National Archives and Smithsonian Art Galleries are 4 or 5 blocks further East on Constitution. The Newseum is there too, which is a great museum, but it isn't free. The Air and Space Museum is on the other side of the mall off of Independence (I believe near Independence and Sixth), and the Museum of the American Indian is almost right across the street. Burgundy is right in that the museums are extensive, so focus on the stuff that's most interesting to you and don't even bother trying to see everything.

Also, if you're up for it, the Holocaust Museum is on 14th st NW just south of Independence. It's; a great experience but very depressing due to the subject matter.

And get used to going through metal detectors because every museum and some of the monuments have them.

As far as seafood, I don't know the Largo area too well. But, if you head south on the Beltway and cross the bridge into VA, then go north on Rte 1, you will be in the heart of Old Town. There are two good seafood restaurants there, both on King St down near the river (east from Rte 1): the Fish Market and Chart House. Fish Market is an average priced restaurant- $15-$25 for most plates. Chart House is more formal, and thus more expensive. Also, if you go to the SE waterfront in DC (roughly Maine Ave and M St SW- NOT M st NW), there is a Phillips Seafood and some other seafood restaurants that I've never tried.

If you want to go out at night, the closest place to where you're staying is H St NE, between roughly 10th and 14th sts. It's a "transitional" neighborhood and the street is all torn up because they're building a trolley, but there are some places that are becoming trendy. Our favorite dive bar is called Red and the Black. There is a Belgian pub called Granville Moores that has great mussels and potent (but expensive) Belgian beers, and there is a mini-golf place called H St Country Club. If you're into the club scene, then Chinatown near the Verizon Center is the place to go. I'd have to look up the name of some good places for you though because that's not my scene and they always change the names of the clubs. Most people go out in Adam's Morgan, but it's a long Metro ride from where you're staying and it's about an 8 block walk from the Metro to the bars anyway, and the parking sucks. It's a lot of college kids, so again, it's fun if that's your scene, but we've kind of outgrown it.

I'm not sure if we're going to the game or not, but if we are we'll probably buy an Orange or Green parking pass off of Craig's List and you're more than welcome to walk over and join our tailgate. If I'm going I'll post when it gets closer.

If you have any other questions, PM me.

OpIv37
07-12-2010, 10:47 PM
oh, and expect to pay at least $4 for a draft beer and $6+ for any name brand liquor or "designer" drinks (if your girl is into them) at pretty much any bar or restaurant. We get jacked around here.

Ron Burgundy
07-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Most douchebags go out in Adam's Morgan.

/fixed

jamze132
07-13-2010, 01:47 AM
Hey everyone...

Just curious who has any tips or pointers for me, since I've never been to the area. Fun things to do before or after the game? How bout a great seafood place ("Crabcakes and football...thats what Maryland does") I know my girl wants to see the sights in DC the next day.

I'm sitting in Sec 122 on the 50 yard line so I'm pretty pumped! Any help is appreciated!

:gobills: :gobills:
Dude, there was a thread a couple months ago when Dr. Lecter posed the same question about a visit to DC. Of course he wanted to meet up with any local zoners and kind of ran into a little hiccup. You'll have to do a search yourself to see for yourself.

Italian Stallion
07-13-2010, 07:04 AM
THANKS ALOT EVERYONE!! OP great advice on how to navigate around some of the sights in DC!!

GO BILLS!!!

ParanoidAndroid
07-13-2010, 07:38 PM
THANKS ALOT EVERYONE!! OP great advice on how to navigate around some of the sights in DC!!

GO BILLS!!!

I live on 5th St and H St. NE. Op's recommendation of Granville Moore's is an excellent one. The beers are pricey(between $6 and $15).... welcome to DC... but excellent, and the mussels are scrumptious. It's a hole in the wall gem....the best kind of restaurant! If you're lucky, The Palace, which is really close on the same side of the street, will have some live music or a burlesque show. There is also The Pug right there as well. Up a couple more blocks is where you'll find the H street Country Club, Rock and Roll Hotel, and The Bier Garten.... all great places!
If you want a great coffee shop, there's Sidamo right here on 5th and H. They make traditional Ethiopian tea as well. There's a nice little place to sit out back.

OpIv37
07-13-2010, 08:46 PM
I live on 5th St and H St. NE. Op's recommendation of Granville Moore's is an excellent one. The beers are pricey(between $6 and $15).... welcome to DC... but excellent, and the mussels are scrumptious. It's a hole in the wall gem....the best kind of restaurant! If you're lucky, The Palace, which is really close on the same side of the street, will have some live music or a burlesque show. There is also The Pug right there as well. Up a couple more blocks is where you'll find the H street Country Club, Rock and Roll Hotel, and The Bier Garten.... all great places!
If you want a great coffee shop, there's Sidamo right here on 5th and H. They make traditional Ethiopian tea as well. There's a nice little place to sit out back.

I would be a complete alcoholic if I lived there.

You should meet us at the Red and the Black sometime. It's right next to Palace and the bartenders know us, so we get hooked up.

Check out Taylor Gourmet Deli. It's Philly style Italian subs. Pricey, but well worth it.

Too bad the Argonaut had that fire, but they may re-open the upstairs soon.

chernobylwraiths
07-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Op had some great ideas for when I went to DC a couple years ago.

I plan on spending my kids spring break there next year.

BillsWin
07-13-2010, 10:43 PM
oh, and expect to pay at least $4 for a draft beer and $6+ for any name brand liquor or "designer" drinks (if your girl is into them) at pretty much any bar or restaurant. We get jacked around here.

No $1 beer and $3 "you call its"?

I love the south.

OpIv37
07-14-2010, 07:40 AM
No $1 beer and $3 "you call its"?

I love the south.

Not around here. There are some places that have good happy hours before 7 pm- usually $2 drafts and rail or half price specialty drinks and half price appetizers.

ParanoidAndroid
07-14-2010, 03:31 PM
I would be a complete alcoholic if I lived there.

You should meet us at the Red and the Black sometime. It's right next to Palace and the bartenders know us, so we get hooked up.

Check out Taylor Gourmet Deli. It's Philly style Italian subs. Pricey, but well worth it.

Too bad the Argonaut had that fire, but they may re-open the upstairs soon.

Been to Taylor's a couple times.... good stuff! If you're ever thinking about coming out to the H St. corridor, you should send me a pm. I'd love to have a beeah witchas...

OpIv37
07-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Been to Taylor's a couple times.... good stuff! If you're ever thinking about coming out to the H St. corridor, you should send me a pm. I'd love to have a beeah witchas...

for about 3 years, we were down there pretty much every weekend. Lately, though, we've been trying not to spend so much money going out. I've only been down there about 4-5 times this year, but I'll definitely let you know the next time we're in the area.

ParanoidAndroid
07-15-2010, 04:55 PM
for about 3 years, we were down there pretty much every weekend. Lately, though, we've been trying not to spend so much money going out. I've only been down there about 4-5 times this year, but I'll definitely let you know the next time we're in the area.

We're trying to save some cash, too. We want to buy a house within a year or so.