X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Defense will hold us back this year

Yes the Bills are missing the two most important components of a football team: QB and LT. But somehow I felt we'd manage to get by on offense this year. The reason? 1) Gailey - the guy has a track record with a sound offensive mind. 2) Like it or not, Jauron did Bills a favor by gutting out the entire offensive line last year. We stunk but it gave the youngster much needed learning experience through fire. We may find out that there is indeed no worthy LT on the roster this year, but any coach will tell you it's much easier to compensate for one deficiency than to find a way to battle two weak fronts. 3) QB - I don't know about any of them is franchise worthy , but I do know that Edwards has talent that can win in NFL. He needs the next step forward, or maybe a step back to his previous heights. I don't know Gailey can help him step forward but I do think there is a good chance that Gailey can deliver the latter. Careful observers notice that the writing is on the wall: Gailey is known for running the ball (vs Jauron putting the ball in Edwards' hands all the time last year); they draft Spiller who would be perfect for Edwards' short throws; and you know success breeds confidence...

The defense is a whole different story. We're changing the whole scheme; we're trusting everything into a first hand coordinator; we have a lot of old hands who are used to the old scheme which, in my opinion, is worse than new hands who know nothing. Unless Kyle Williams suddenly defies physical logic or Troupe brings Byrd's type of rookie campaign, I see us having a long year trying to stop opponents.
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Re: Defense will hold us back this year

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
    Yes the Bills are missing the two most important components of a football team: QB and LT. But somehow I felt we'd manage to get by on offense this year. The reason? 1) Gailey - the guy has a track record with a sound offensive mind. 2) Like it or not, Jauron did Bills a favor by gutting out the entire offensive line last year. We stunk but it gave the youngster much needed learning experience through fire. We may find out that there is indeed no worthy LT on the roster this year, but any coach will tell you it's much easier to compensate for one deficiency than to find a way to battle two weak fronts. 3) QB - I don't know about any of them is franchise worthy , but I do know that Edwards has talent that can win in NFL. He needs the next step forward, or maybe a step back to his previous heights. I don't know Gailey can help him step forward but I do think there is a good chance that Gailey can deliver the latter. Careful observers notice that the writing is on the wall: Gailey is known for running the ball (vs Jauron putting the ball in Edwards' hands all the time last year); they draft Spiller who would be perfect for Edwards' short throws; and you know success breeds confidence...

The defense is a whole different story. We're changing the whole scheme; we're trusting everything into a first hand coordinator; we have a lot of old hands who are used to the old scheme which, in my opinion, is worse than new hands who know nothing. Unless Kyle Williams suddenly defies physical logic or Troupe brings Byrd's type of rookie campaign, I see us having a long year trying to stop opponents.
    I dont necessarily agree.

1) The minute we signed Dwan Edwards, we added our 2nd best DE regardless of scheme. Now that Schobel is likely gone, hes our best DE and hes solid.

2) Stroud has lost the weight and could be a real force against the run at the very least as a 3-4 DE.

3) NT will be a bit of an issue unless Troup develops quickly I agree. However, having Edwards and Stroud next to you will help any player succeed.

4) Our LB corp is actually better. Maybin moved to a position where he can use his speed and that wont have him suffer from being a bit undersized strength wise. He could become a solid pass rusher early. I have always been a Andra Davis fan, I think hes going to be a solid addition who wont be a liability against the run. Poz will benefit from getting more help. Mitchell will get pushed and may step up his play. Add in the other converted DE's and we have solid depth which we havent had at LB for years.

5) We have one of the best secondaries in the league at this point IMO. We can complain about Whitner, but that group, even with Whitner is solid.

This is still a rebuilding team, we need better depth on the DL with guys that fit the scheme better... I think it will come in the next few years.
    Last edited by X-Era; 07-12-2010, 08:39 PM.

Comment

• Mahdi
      • Mar 2004

Don't agree. Our defense will be our strength. Offense will be spotty. Top 15 rushing team, bottom 10 passing team.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
        • May 2009

i disagree with your title. the defense will be better than last year. you can take that to the bank.

edit: oh yeah, and he isn't a first time coordinator. he's been as assitant defensive coordinator and he has been coaching for many years. this is just his first crack in the nfl as defensive coordinator.
        Last edited by BertSquirtgum; 07-12-2010, 10:59 PM.

Comment

• jamze132
          Don’t hate…
          • Jun 2003

I do not see our defense being better than last year in any aspect. I think our INTs will be significantly lower as Byrd is almost certain to have some level of dropoff in his second season. Every holdover is playing a new defense and we will have an even harder time stopping the run from the 3-4 inititally. I still do not see much pressure on the QB for the first half of the season and I see a **** load of blown assignments and players being out of position inititally.

I do think we have some nice talent and I am just hoping that everyone can stay healthy this year and learn the system so 2011 isn't another debacle like the last decade.
          Last edited by jamze132; 07-13-2010, 01:53 AM.

Comment

• Griff
            • Jul 2008

First the scheme change will not effect our strongest aspect on defense, the secondary. Second our run defense was so bad last year that its virtually impossible to be worse against the run. I don't see the defense being any worse this year, unless Byrd has a serious let down.

Comment

• Night Train
              Retired - On Several Levels
              • Jul 2005

The D may take some time but last years front 7 was bad against the run and never provided much of a rush. I don't expect much anyhow this season, other than to move in the right direction for once.
              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• tampabay25690
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Mahdi
                Don't agree. Our defense will be our strength. Offense will be spotty. Top 15 rushing team, bottom 10 passing team.
                I don't think we have a strength either way.
                I think both will be spotty but the team will compete.
                As a Bills fan you have to be happy with the way this team is headed....
                GO Gators!!!!!!
                GO GATORS!!

Comment

• X-Era
                  What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jamze132
                  I do not see our defense being better than last year in any aspect. I think our INTs will be significantly lower as Byrd is almost certain to have some level of dropoff in his second season. Every holdover is playing a new defense and we will have an even harder time stopping the run from the 3-4 inititally. I still do not see much pressure on the QB for the first half of the season and I see a **** load of blown assignments and players being out of position inititally.

I do think we have some nice talent and I am just hoping that everyone can stay healthy this year and learn the system so 2011 isn't another debacle like the last decade.
                  I would agree but I think injuries and starting guys like Ellison and Corto caused us more problems last year than a scheme change will this year. Maybin didnt get a single sack. That will change significantly this year as a starting rush OLB. Will he get double digit sacks? maybe not. But I can see him getting say 6.

If we stay healthy, I think we will make mistakes and be out of position but will still be better overall.

Comment

• madness
                    • Apr 2003

I'm not going to miss a predictable, bland, and reactive defense over the flexible and aggressive defense Edwards plans on using.

Comment

• ddaryl
                      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                      • Jan 2005

wake me when we get to the end of the 3rd preseson game and I'll give you an opinion

Comment

• Griff
                        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by jamze132

so you're saying when we're at the bottom we really can go down?

The defense is not the worry its the QB and line, at least we should have decent play calling for once.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Griff
                          First the scheme change will not effect our strongest aspect on defense, the secondary. Second our run defense was so bad last year that its virtually impossible to be worse against the run. I don't see the defense being any worse this year, unless Byrd has a serious let down.
                          What?

A C2 is mostly a zone coverage scheme, a 3-4 relies on a lot more man coverage. You're nuts if you don't think that will affect the secondary. In addition, the secondary depends a lot on the pass rush, which will definitely be affected by the new scheme.

Also, a 3-4 D with no NT can be shockingly bad against the run.

The D will almost certainly be worse.
                          Last edited by OpIv37; 07-13-2010, 10:18 AM.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by madness
                            I'm not going to miss a predictable, bland, and reactive defense over the flexible and aggressive defense Edwards plans on using.
                            I don't think anyone is going to miss the C2 but the fact remains that we lack the personnel and experience in the 3-4 and it will show on the field.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                              Will not tolerate vandalism.
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by OpIv37
                              What?

A C2 is mostly a zone coverage scheme, a 3-4 relies on a lot more man coverage. You're nuts if you don't think that will affect the secondary. In addition, the secondary depends a lot on the pass rush, which will definitely be affected by the new scheme.
                              You're nuts if you think all 3-4 defenses are the same. You can have 3-4 man or 3-4 zone, just like you can have 4-3 man or 4-3 zone. Whether a defense is "man" or "zone" is irrelevant to what arrangement the men are in the box.

Comment

Working...
                              X