PDA

View Full Version : Defense will hold us back this year

ghz in pittsburgh
07-12-2010, 08:19 PM
Yes the Bills are missing the two most important components of a football team: QB and LT. But somehow I felt we'd manage to get by on offense this year. The reason? 1) Gailey - the guy has a track record with a sound offensive mind. 2) Like it or not, Jauron did Bills a favor by gutting out the entire offensive line last year. We stunk but it gave the youngster much needed learning experience through fire. We may find out that there is indeed no worthy LT on the roster this year, but any coach will tell you it's much easier to compensate for one deficiency than to find a way to battle two weak fronts. 3) QB - I don't know about any of them is franchise worthy , but I do know that Edwards has talent that can win in NFL. He needs the next step forward, or maybe a step back to his previous heights. I don't know Gailey can help him step forward but I do think there is a good chance that Gailey can deliver the latter. Careful observers notice that the writing is on the wall: Gailey is known for running the ball (vs Jauron putting the ball in Edwards' hands all the time last year); they draft Spiller who would be perfect for Edwards' short throws; and you know success breeds confidence...

The defense is a whole different story. We're changing the whole scheme; we're trusting everything into a first hand coordinator; we have a lot of old hands who are used to the old scheme which, in my opinion, is worse than new hands who know nothing. Unless Kyle Williams suddenly defies physical logic or Troupe brings Byrd's type of rookie campaign, I see us having a long year trying to stop opponents.

X-Era
07-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Yes the Bills are missing the two most important components of a football team: QB and LT. But somehow I felt we'd manage to get by on offense this year. The reason? 1) Gailey - the guy has a track record with a sound offensive mind. 2) Like it or not, Jauron did Bills a favor by gutting out the entire offensive line last year. We stunk but it gave the youngster much needed learning experience through fire. We may find out that there is indeed no worthy LT on the roster this year, but any coach will tell you it's much easier to compensate for one deficiency than to find a way to battle two weak fronts. 3) QB - I don't know about any of them is franchise worthy , but I do know that Edwards has talent that can win in NFL. He needs the next step forward, or maybe a step back to his previous heights. I don't know Gailey can help him step forward but I do think there is a good chance that Gailey can deliver the latter. Careful observers notice that the writing is on the wall: Gailey is known for running the ball (vs Jauron putting the ball in Edwards' hands all the time last year); they draft Spiller who would be perfect for Edwards' short throws; and you know success breeds confidence...

The defense is a whole different story. We're changing the whole scheme; we're trusting everything into a first hand coordinator; we have a lot of old hands who are used to the old scheme which, in my opinion, is worse than new hands who know nothing. Unless Kyle Williams suddenly defies physical logic or Troupe brings Byrd's type of rookie campaign, I see us having a long year trying to stop opponents.
I dont necessarily agree.

1) The minute we signed Dwan Edwards, we added our 2nd best DE regardless of scheme. Now that Schobel is likely gone, hes our best DE and hes solid.

2) Stroud has lost the weight and could be a real force against the run at the very least as a 3-4 DE.

3) NT will be a bit of an issue unless Troup develops quickly I agree. However, having Edwards and Stroud next to you will help any player succeed.

4) Our LB corp is actually better. Maybin moved to a position where he can use his speed and that wont have him suffer from being a bit undersized strength wise. He could become a solid pass rusher early. I have always been a Andra Davis fan, I think hes going to be a solid addition who wont be a liability against the run. Poz will benefit from getting more help. Mitchell will get pushed and may step up his play. Add in the other converted DE's and we have solid depth which we havent had at LB for years.

5) We have one of the best secondaries in the league at this point IMO. We can complain about Whitner, but that group, even with Whitner is solid.

This is still a rebuilding team, we need better depth on the DL with guys that fit the scheme better... I think it will come in the next few years.

Mahdi
07-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Don't agree. Our defense will be our strength. Offense will be spotty. Top 15 rushing team, bottom 10 passing team.

BertSquirtgum
07-12-2010, 10:51 PM
i disagree with your title. the defense will be better than last year. you can take that to the bank.

edit: oh yeah, and he isn't a first time coordinator. he's been as assitant defensive coordinator and he has been coaching for many years. this is just his first crack in the nfl as defensive coordinator.

jamze132
07-13-2010, 01:52 AM
I do not see our defense being better than last year in any aspect. I think our INTs will be significantly lower as Byrd is almost certain to have some level of dropoff in his second season. Every holdover is playing a new defense and we will have an even harder time stopping the run from the 3-4 inititally. I still do not see much pressure on the QB for the first half of the season and I see a **** load of blown assignments and players being out of position inititally.

I do think we have some nice talent and I am just hoping that everyone can stay healthy this year and learn the system so 2011 isn't another debacle like the last decade.

Griff
07-13-2010, 02:23 AM
First the scheme change will not effect our strongest aspect on defense, the secondary. Second our run defense was so bad last year that its virtually impossible to be worse against the run. I don't see the defense being any worse this year, unless Byrd has a serious let down.

Night Train
07-13-2010, 04:26 AM
The D may take some time but last years front 7 was bad against the run and never provided much of a rush. I don't expect much anyhow this season, other than to move in the right direction for once.

tampabay25690
07-13-2010, 04:51 AM
Don't agree. Our defense will be our strength. Offense will be spotty. Top 15 rushing team, bottom 10 passing team.

I don't think we have a strength either way.
I think both will be spotty but the team will compete.
As a Bills fan you have to be happy with the way this team is headed....

X-Era
07-13-2010, 05:34 AM
I do not see our defense being better than last year in any aspect. I think our INTs will be significantly lower as Byrd is almost certain to have some level of dropoff in his second season. Every holdover is playing a new defense and we will have an even harder time stopping the run from the 3-4 inititally. I still do not see much pressure on the QB for the first half of the season and I see a **** load of blown assignments and players being out of position inititally.

I do think we have some nice talent and I am just hoping that everyone can stay healthy this year and learn the system so 2011 isn't another debacle like the last decade.

I would agree but I think injuries and starting guys like Ellison and Corto caused us more problems last year than a scheme change will this year. Maybin didnt get a single sack. That will change significantly this year as a starting rush OLB. Will he get double digit sacks? maybe not. But I can see him getting say 6.

If we stay healthy, I think we will make mistakes and be out of position but will still be better overall.

madness
07-13-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm not going to miss a predictable, bland, and reactive defense over the flexible and aggressive defense Edwards plans on using.

ddaryl
07-13-2010, 09:26 AM
wake me when we get to the end of the 3rd preseson game and I'll give you an opinion

Griff
07-13-2010, 09:40 AM

so you're saying when we're at the bottom we really can go down?

The defense is not the worry its the QB and line, at least we should have decent play calling for once.

OpIv37
07-13-2010, 10:17 AM
First the scheme change will not effect our strongest aspect on defense, the secondary. Second our run defense was so bad last year that its virtually impossible to be worse against the run. I don't see the defense being any worse this year, unless Byrd has a serious let down.

What?

A C2 is mostly a zone coverage scheme, a 3-4 relies on a lot more man coverage. You're nuts if you don't think that will affect the secondary. In addition, the secondary depends a lot on the pass rush, which will definitely be affected by the new scheme.

Also, a 3-4 D with no NT can be shockingly bad against the run.

The D will almost certainly be worse.

OpIv37
07-13-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm not going to miss a predictable, bland, and reactive defense over the flexible and aggressive defense Edwards plans on using.

I don't think anyone is going to miss the C2 but the fact remains that we lack the personnel and experience in the 3-4 and it will show on the field.

Johnny Bugmenot
07-13-2010, 11:27 AM
What?

A C2 is mostly a zone coverage scheme, a 3-4 relies on a lot more man coverage. You're nuts if you don't think that will affect the secondary. In addition, the secondary depends a lot on the pass rush, which will definitely be affected by the new scheme. You're nuts if you think all 3-4 defenses are the same. You can have 3-4 man or 3-4 zone, just like you can have 4-3 man or 4-3 zone. Whether a defense is "man" or "zone" is irrelevant to what arrangement the men are in the box.

OpIv37
07-13-2010, 11:54 AM
You're nuts if you think all 3-4 defenses are the same. You can have 3-4 man or 3-4 zone, just like you can have 4-3 man or 4-3 zone. Whether a defense is "man" or "zone" is irrelevant to what arrangement the men are in the box.

A C2 base D plays almost exclusively zone. A 3-4 base D plays a lot more man. Yes, they will use zone at times, but the DB's are going to have to get used to playing a lot more man coverage. I think McKelvin will be fine. I'm not so sure about the rest of them.

djjimkelly
07-13-2010, 12:10 PM
i severely beg to differ.

our D will be the serious strength of this team.
our secondary is as good as any in this league. that being said just by switching to a 3-4 front seven we will be able to put alot more pressure on the qb just based on scheme. therefore making the secondary even better.

our D will be what keeps us in games this year

OpIv37
07-13-2010, 12:19 PM
i severely beg to differ.

our D will be the serious strength of this team.
our secondary is as good as any in this league. that being said just by switching to a 3-4 front seven we will be able to put alot more pressure on the qb just based on scheme. therefore making the secondary even better.

our D will be what keeps us in games this year

moving the same crappy pass rushers back 4 steps isn't going to allow us to put more pressure on the QB. This team may have the worst pass rush in the league this season.

justasportsfan
07-13-2010, 12:27 PM
Hopefully our O will be able to run ,run,run and keep opponents offenses and our D off the field

EDS
07-13-2010, 12:29 PM
I think OLB is a major question mark on the defense. Maybin is still an unknown and Kelsay does not seem like a good fit at OLB. No experience at the position overall on the team which to me is a concern.

It is hard to imagine the team will be as bad at stoping the run again, but there are still some obvious question marks in the front 7, so there is no guaranty the unit improves in that regard.

OpIv37
07-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Hopefully our O will be able to run ,run,run and keep opponents offenses and our D off the field

That would be a nice change over the past few years. We certainly have the RB's to do it. The question is whether our passing game can at least be efficient enough to keep opponents from putting 8 in the box every down.

justasportsfan
07-13-2010, 12:56 PM
That would be a nice change over the past few years. We certainly have the RB's to do it. The question is whether our passing game can at least be efficient enough to keep opponents from putting 8 in the box every down.

I think the passing game will be better simply because we won't be so predictable. Trent isn't all that as a passer to begin with and I can't stand his wobbly throws but defenses knowing what was coming didn't help him either. I can barely even remember when our qb's ran a play action.

madness
07-13-2010, 01:22 PM
I think OLB is a major question mark on the defense. Maybin is still an unknown and Kelsay does not seem like a good fit at OLB. No experience at the position overall on the team which to me is a concern.

It is hard to imagine the team will be as bad at stoping the run again, but there are still some obvious question marks in the front 7, so there is no guaranty the unit improves in that regard.
If there's one position that's key to success in a 3-4, it's OLB. It doesn't mean you have to grab high profile FA's or first day draft picks either. Teams like the Steelers continue to draft young pass rushers @ OLB and make them into stars.

As one retired general manager recently said to me when discussing the issues of building a 3-4 defense, "Just look to the Steelers for the blueprint for that defense. They never change the way they look at talent."

So what do the Steelers do that always makes their package so good? They never stop bringing in young outside linebackers, even when they have the most effective tandem in the NFL. Pittsburgh's starting duo of James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley (http://www.nfl.com/players/lamarrwoodley/profile?id=WOO324724) accounted for 23.5 sacks last year, but that didn't stop the team from drafting Jason Worilds in the second round and Thaddeus Gibson in the fourth round. Add to that group the fact that Lawrence Timmons (http://www.nfl.com/players/lawrencetimmons/profile?id=TIM589720) has been a very effective outside linebacker in certain situations, and the Steelers are loaded once again.

Not one team in a 3-4 defense used a first-round draft pick on an outside linebacker, which is interesting when you consider that Brandon Graham and Jerry Hughes both went in the first round to 4-3 teams but were projected as 3-4 OLBs. Only two teams hit the veteran market to improve the outside backer position, yet Adalius Thomas (http://www.nfl.com/players/adaliusthomas/profile?id=THO013777), Chike Okeafor (http://www.nfl.com/players/chikeokeafor/profile?id=OKE059326) and even Greg Ellis (http://www.nfl.com/players/gregellis/profile?id=ELL500479) are still on the street. Between them they accounted for 14.5 sacks last year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d818d3479/article/effective-pass-rush-from-olbs-pivotal-to-34-defenses-success

Mr. Pink
07-13-2010, 01:32 PM
This team will give up 25+ points per game on average this year.

The cover 2 was set up because of a lack of talent and keeping plays in front of the defense forcing other teams to be perfect on long drives.

Instead, we'll try to attack a little and give up tons of big plays because we have no pass rush and DBs who were exclusive zone cover guys. Not too mention we couldn't cover tight ends worth a damn in zone, now some LB or S will be covering them in man from time to time.

Our rush defense will likely improve, statistically, at the expense of our pass D getting a ton worse.

For a comparison of a team that just transfered to the 3-4 last year....our D will look a lot like the KC Chiefs did last year.

OpIv37
07-13-2010, 02:07 PM
This team will give up 25+ points per game on average this year.

The cover 2 was set up because of a lack of talent and keeping plays in front of the defense forcing other teams to be perfect on long drives.

Instead, we'll try to attack a little and give up tons of big plays because we have no pass rush and DBs who were exclusive zone cover guys. Not too mention we couldn't cover tight ends worth a damn in zone, now some LB or S will be covering them in man from time to time.

Our rush defense will likely improve, statistically, at the expense of our pass D getting a ton worse.

For a comparison of a team that just transfered to the 3-4 last year....our D will look a lot like the KC Chiefs did last year.

Oh come on. You've been here long enough to know that these situations call for using the exception to prove the rule. The Packers successfully transitioned to the 3-4 in one year, so we will too. That's the way it works around here.

psubills62
07-13-2010, 02:07 PM
It's the Tampa 2 that Jauron ran, not Cover 2. Pittsburgh often runs a Cover 2, and that scheme could be either a man or zone scheme. Cover 2 just refers to two deep safeties. Tampa 2 is the overall defense we ran under Jauron.

Kansas City doubled their sack total from 2008 to 2009. They also didn't draft a nose tackle at all in the 2008 draft, which didn't exactly help their transition.

While people may be overrating our secondary, they're still 20 times better than what Kansas City had in 2009. Our defense will not be nearly as bad as Kansas City's was last year.

I could see our run defense improving throughout the year, but the pass D will be worse than last year. Still top 10, but not nearly as good as 2009. The run D will end up being only slightly better overall than 2009.

X-Era
07-13-2010, 05:01 PM

I agree on OLB.

I think its one of the areas we need to further address via next years free agency or the draft. I think we want to see what Maybin can do but if he fails, guys like Vonn Miller may be intriguing.

Mr. Pink
07-13-2010, 10:08 PM
It's the Tampa 2 that Jauron ran, not Cover 2. Pittsburgh often runs a Cover 2, and that scheme could be either a man or zone scheme. Cover 2 just refers to two deep safeties. Tampa 2 is the overall defense we ran under Jauron.

Kansas City doubled their sack total from 2008 to 2009. They also didn't draft a nose tackle at all in the 2008 draft, which didn't exactly help their transition.

While people may be overrating our secondary, they're still 20 times better than what Kansas City had in 2009. Our defense will not be nearly as bad as Kansas City's was last year.

I could see our run defense improving throughout the year, but the pass D will be worse than last year. Still top 10, but not nearly as good as 2009. The run D will end up being only slightly better overall than 2009.

It doesn't matter how good your secondary is when you're playing man defense and the QB has all day to throw. Unfortunately I don't see us getting much pass rush this year.

All in all as I've said before I hope some guys can show they can play in a 3-4 scheme when they're used to a tampa 2 scheme. The more guys that show they can perform in this scheme the less holes we have to fill in the future. Right now we have a lot of holes and question marks.

BertSquirtgum
07-13-2010, 10:47 PM
the browns suck and so do your posts.

jamze132
07-14-2010, 01:35 AM
I would agree but I think injuries and starting guys like Ellison and Corto caused us more problems last year than a scheme change will this year. Maybin didnt get a single sack. That will change significantly this year as a starting rush OLB. Will he get double digit sacks? maybe not. But I can see him getting say 6.

If we stay healthy, I think we will make mistakes and be out of position but will still be better overall.
Dude, Maybin was a one-hit wonder in college. What on earth convinces you he will be a servicable OLB? Yeah, the guy is in great shape and he's quick, but on the other hand, he is undersized.

I do hope you are right though.

Mr. Pink
07-14-2010, 01:41 AM
the browns suck and so do your posts.

You post nothing but douches of a post that contribute nothing to discussion.

If my posts suck, then don't read them. Problem solved.

And duh the Browns suck, at least I don't have any delusions of grandeur.

jamze132
07-14-2010, 01:41 AM
And Kelsay covering RBs and TEs scares the **** out of me.

psubills62
07-14-2010, 08:56 AM
It doesn't matter how good your secondary is when you're playing man defense and the QB has all day to throw. Unfortunately I don't see us getting much pass rush this year.

All in all as I've said before I hope some guys can show they can play in a 3-4 scheme when they're used to a tampa 2 scheme. The more guys that show they can perform in this scheme the less holes we have to fill in the future. Right now we have a lot of holes and question marks.

I don't see the pass rush being that good, but it will be better than some people expect. Look at what Bob Sanders did for our pass rush last year in the 4-3. Considering the 3-4 is designed to get more pressure on the QB, it's reasonable to assume that QB's won't necessarily have all day to throw.

BertSquirtgum
07-14-2010, 12:28 PM
You post nothing but douches of a post that contribute nothing to discussion.

If my posts suck, then don't read them. Problem solved.

And duh the Browns suck, at least I don't have any delusions of grandeur.

i'm just here to point out the obvious.

go wash your vagina. it seems to have a bit of sand in it.

Griff
07-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Oh come on. You've been here long enough to know that these situations call for using the exception to prove the rule. The Packers successfully transitioned to the 3-4 in one year, so we will too. That's the way it works around here.

OP, optimism won't kill you.

wmoz11
07-14-2010, 12:56 PM

Thank God someone finally addressed this. Cover 2 is a coverage, Tampa 2 is a defensive scheme.

You're more than capable of playing any coverage in the 3-4 that you played in the 4-3 Tampa 2.

The reason people notice more man in the 3-4, is because it usually lends itself to more blitzing opportunities, in which case you're best served playing man behind it in order to eliminate the cushion on receivers which in turn eliminates hot throws and doesn't allow slot receivers and TE's the time to get favorable matchups wtih linebackers in the middle of the field.

That's if the blitz is successful in rushing the QB, which it may or may not be. If we deem that we cannot get to the QB with the blitz, we can just play zone behind it and give up short throws. That's worst case.

Mr. Pink
07-14-2010, 01:01 PM
i'm just here to point out the obvious.

go wash your vagina. it seems to have a bit of sand in it.

What are you, like 12?

BertSquirtgum
07-15-2010, 10:23 AM

trapezeus
07-15-2010, 10:36 AM
i think the switch will come with growing pains, but i think the bills have more average to decent LB options than they do in having 4 men that can control the line of scrimmage from the 4-3 defense.

Think about last year. We had schobel, and then no real other end. And then the middle was kind of a question mark. k williams and fatman stroud were there, but no depth behind them. Therefore as the games wore on and they were on the field forever, there was nothing they could do but break.

I think with moving the ends back, and counting on 3 linemen who just have to hold their positions as opposed to have to create penetration, we can bring a variety of LB's from a variety of positions. We have to be creative because we don't have a dominant front 7 guy that teams have to worry about. Maybe Troupe is the first guy to be a menace. but we'll find that out this year.

As i said, it's a stretch to bank on them being good, but i think there is some reason to believe. if the team focuses on not being plain vanilla like all of jauron schemes, i think there is reason to hope this all works out.

OpIv37
07-15-2010, 10:36 AM
OP, optimism won't kill you.

anyone can be an optimist. I prefer the challenge of trying to make realistic, accurate predictions. It's a distinction between what I want to happen and what I think will actually happen.

better days
07-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Dude, Maybin was a one-hit wonder in college. What on earth convinces you he will be a servicable OLB? Yeah, the guy is in great shape and he's quick, but on the other hand, he is undersized.

He was undersized as a DE but as a 3-4 OLB at 6'4" & 250 lbs, he has good size.

WeAreArthurMoates
07-15-2010, 12:15 PM
He was undersized as a DE but as a 3-4 OLB at 6'4" & 250 lbs, he has good size.

Especially on the weakside. If he lined up over the tightend, sure, he'd still be a liabilty but coming from the weakside, he could be successful.

X-Era
07-17-2010, 06:43 AM

Hes a converted DE who was a tweener just like Terrel Suggs (6' 3", 260lb). If he ends up playing half as good I will be happy.

jamze132
07-18-2010, 12:40 AM
Hes a converted DE who was a tweener just like Terrel Suggs (6' 3", 260lb). If he ends up playing half as good I will be happy.
Suggs wasn't a one-hit wonder like Maybin was in college.

Buffalogic
07-18-2010, 05:48 AM
Suggs wasn't a one-hit wonder like Maybin was in college.And Suggs was a machine and dominated at every level in his career. Ray Lewis still gets all the credit but at this point Suggs is a billion times better than Ray is.

Suggs is the Patrick Willis of OLB. That's not exactly an easy comparison for Maybin to live up to.

X-Era
07-18-2010, 06:32 AM
Suggs wasn't a one-hit wonder like Maybin was in college.

The comparison was based on size only. Its true that Maybin has a ton to learn and prove at OLB. But thats true for most of the converted DE's. It can be done, whether Maybin does it or not remains to be seen.

jamze132
07-19-2010, 03:06 AM
The comparison was based on size only. Its true that Maybin has a ton to learn and prove at OLB. But thats true for most of the converted DE's. It can be done, whether Maybin does it or not remains to be seen.
Then what's the point in putting all your eggs in one basket when it comes to Maybin? I totally understand some of it as we as Bills fans have had the life sucked out of us for over 10 years now, but that is also the exact same reason I refuse to put any energy into hoping that Maybin turns into a stud. I just do not see that ever happening.

Griff
07-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Then what's the point in putting all your eggs in one basket when it comes to Maybin? I totally understand some of it as we as Bills fans have had the life sucked out of us for over 10 years now, but that is also the exact same reason I refuse to put any energy into hoping that Maybin turns into a stud. I just do not see that ever happening.

true Maybin shouldn't have been our first pick, but he's on the team and he's built for his new job.

better days
07-20-2010, 08:52 AM

Nix & Gailey have not put all their eggs in one basket. Maybin is not the only OLB on the roster.

X-Era
07-20-2010, 05:26 PM

Understandable. He will have to prove himself. I never said he was a stud... I just think hes more likely to succeed at OLB in a 3-4 than at DE in any scheme. Furthermore, I think its the most natural position for him in the NFL... but admit he isn't fully natural for really any.

I think you may be overstating my opinion of Maybin. I don't think hes anything more than a guy with athletic ability thats making a position switch. At this point he has everything to prove and one less reason to fail.

jamze132
07-21-2010, 04:15 AM
Nix & Gailey have not put all their eggs in one basket. Maybin is not the only OLB on the roster.
Who said Nix and Gailey did? :idunno:

You're knee-deep in the kool-aid and don't even know the flavor. SNAP!

BertSquirtgum
07-21-2010, 11:36 AM
maybin looks like a little kid out on the field in the videos i was watching.

better days
07-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Who said Nix and Gailey did? :idunno:

You're knee-deep in the kool-aid and don't even know the flavor. SNAP!

Yeah I have to admit drinking the kool-aid (it's Cherry flavor) tastes good. Now if I can survive the season.

Spiderweb
07-22-2010, 01:17 AM

I would have to agree with the One Hit Wonder title for Maybin. At this point, he hasn't shown a thing for anyone to be excited about. He may well simply be another Eric Flowers for all we know. I hope not........

SABURZFAN
07-22-2010, 02:30 AM
maybin looks like a little kid out on the field in the videos i was watching.

that's because he was a little kid out on the field last year. he wasn't able to buy alcohol, was he?

acehole
07-23-2010, 10:38 AM
I agree, I said this early on...lot of rookies new scheam cant be a great combo. DB's are good but have to play tighter in this offence. Troup being asked to do to much....

We shall see.