PDA

View Full Version : Lombardi ranks AFC Teams

Nublar7
07-13-2010, 10:35 PM
https://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8191ab4e/article/breaking-down-afc-picture-has-dolphins-making-big-jump

Blue-chip team: Super Bowl contender
Red-chip team: Playoff contender
Green-chip team: Middle-of-the-pack team
Orange-chip team: Improving but still not near the playoffs
Brown-chip team: No chance to win and the year will be a long one

Blue Chip:

Miami Dolphins: Much has been happening in Miami in recent weeks, but what should not be lost in all the hysteria of the Heat adding LeBron James and Chris Bosh is that the Dolphins are a Super Bowl contender. Last season, they were one of the best teams in the league in terms of execution, but struggled playing 2-minute defense (30th overall) and failed to make explosive plays (gains of 20 yards or more). Miami is close, very close, to becoming a Super Bowl team -- in part due to its size, mental toughness and ability to consistently execute each week. If the Dolphins stop the big plays, make a few of their own, and find a way to close out games, J-Lo and Marc Anthony might have a stake in a Super team.

Red chip:

New England Patriots: I laugh when people say the Patriots' window is closing fast as Tom Brady gets older. Are you kidding me? The Patriots are a team in transition, but their window is not closing. In fact, it is getting wider as they keep surrounding Brady with young talent. However, the Patriots need their young players to get tougher -- they need their team to get tougher. Last season, New England allowed its opponents to score every time they were first-and-goal inside the 5-yard line -- every time. Last year, the Patriots had chances to win games in the final drive, but turned the ball over and finished 1-3 in games decided by three points or fewer. Their window is still open, but the youngsters better start to produce.

New York Jets: If Denver reminds me of Butler University, then the Jets remind me of the University of Kentucky. The Jets, like the Wildcats, are extremely talented, with many different egos who might only play together for one year and have the potential to explode at any point during the season. Jets coach Rex Ryan and Kentucky coach John Calipari might not look the same, but they both are master motivators and recruiters who don't mind handling an eclectic collection of players. The question you must ask yourself about the Jets is the same one you ask about Kentucky when you fill out the office pool in March -- can they get past the Sweet 16? I never have Kentucky in my Final Four, so I cannot put the Jets there.

Brown chip:

Buffalo Bills: I love Bills fans because they're passionate and knowledgeable. In fact, I get more emails from Bills fans than from nearly any other team. They love their team and aren't bitter about the four Super Bowl losses. Still, fans are also realistic and know the Bills are a long way from competing for a return trip to the Super Bowl. Much of this pessimism comes from the fact that the Bills haven't won a playoff game since 1995, and haven't been to the playoffs since 1999. Right now, they're not impressed with quarterback Trent Edwards as the man to lead the team. How could they be? When your offense is the worst in the league in red-zone scoring, plays of more than 10 yards, third-down conversions, and passing first downs made, it's not an offense that can score points quickly. The Bills were also the worst team inside their opponents' 5-yard line, scoring just four times after having 13 chances. With all the problems on offense, the defense didn't fare much better. The unit couldn't stop the run, giving up more than 156 yards per game. Switching to the 3-4 scheme won't cure this problem. It will be a cold winter in Buffalo for Bills fans, unless I'm missing a reason to believe.

Dr. Lecter
07-13-2010, 10:37 PM
Miami is way better than the Bills, but are not a Super Bowl contender yet.

The Pats, Jets, Chargers and Colts are (right now) better than Miami.

justasportsfan
07-13-2010, 11:33 PM
haha! thanks for posting something thats negative about the bills nuby. Troll. Remember when the fins were picked to win the sb a few years ago and didn't even make playoffs?

Lombardi may be right but in the end, he's no different from any other poster.

ServoBillieves
07-14-2010, 12:44 AM
Oh look, an opinion in the dead end of the offseason between OTA's, competitive free agency, the draft and training camp with in depth, extrasensory and solid analysis. That makes me not want to root for the Bills.

We haven't seen the new scheme yet, no player has hit the field in pads, but con-sarnit, those Bills aren't going to do jack squat! Those 20+ players who were injured last year are worthless, and will be picked on by teams who exploited those injury weaknesses last year since they're now that they're back!

BRING BACK JAURON!

... So what I gathered from the Bills segment of the article is that he listened to what the fans who e-mailed him thought and last seasons scheme/coaching...

I'm as pessimistic as the next, but any form of ranking with a team that is not necessarily a bad question mark but is all over a question mark feels like a raging joke.

He also spelled Billieve wrong at the end.

feldspar
07-14-2010, 12:55 AM
The Dolphins are Super Bowl contenders?

ServoBillieves
07-14-2010, 01:04 AM
The Dolphins are Super Bowl contenders?

What, you didn't hear that the 22nd ranked defense = Championship next season?! 15th scoring offense is a give away as is.

Mike
07-14-2010, 05:17 AM
What you guys are forgetting is that only a few years ago we were way ahead of Miami. They almost went winless, remember? And since then. & getting Parcels they have surpased us leaving us in the dust. Most of you had tge same argument forcwhy we are on the right path then as you do now.

When I look st the NFL I only see a very few teams go from perenial looser to an instant winner, or winner at all. In each case, it us almost always done by an NFL top reqruiter/coach/GM type. Being 100% honest, Gaily has never been confided a top evaluator or coach, in fact many consider him bottom of tge barrel. I can easily name 10 better offensive minds in football and out of those 10, only a few might be able to turn a team like the bills around. In the end, Gaily will be another Jouron. If we picked a guy with a Proven track record of turning loosers into winners like Parcels I would be very optimistic!

YardRat
07-14-2010, 05:23 AM
I can see Miami as a red, but not blue. Buffalo is about right. For this time of the year, anyway. We'll see how it all plays out, and where the 'chips' actually fall when they start playing the games.

Jan Reimers
07-14-2010, 06:58 AM
Lombardi does a nice job of summarizing all of our problems from last year. If we repeat them all again this year - which is the mantra of many negative posters here - we certainly will be in for a long year.

Some of us, however, believe that with a new coaching staff, a number of players coming back from injuries, a strong draft, schemes that better fit our personnel, and at least a partial rehabilitation of Edwards' psyche, things COULD be different this year.

But for those that believe that things can never change, Lombardi is the man.

Mr. Miyagi
07-14-2010, 07:22 AM
What else is new? The media roots for Miami every year. I don't know why, they weren't that good and only went 7-9 last year and their QB Chad Henne isn't any better than Edwards. So adding, Brandon Marshall suddenly makes them a SB contender? Like the year when they added Culpepper and everyone said they were going to the SB and they went 6-10?

Give me a ****** break.

OpIv37
07-14-2010, 07:44 AM
I agree with what he said about the Billls, but he is overranking Miami. No doubt they've improved and will likely still be better than us, but they aren't Super Bowl contenders at this point.

better days
07-14-2010, 08:09 AM
I agree with what he said about the Billls, but he is overranking Miami. No doubt they've improved and will likely still be better than us, but they aren't Super Bowl contenders at this point.

I agree. How can he rate Miami over the Jets?

trapezeus
07-14-2010, 08:33 AM
I agree. How can he rate Miami over the Jets?

becauase the jets know how to disappear when they are needed the most. jets fans are like browns fans. they practically will their team to lose in the crunch time.

The jets could have an allstart team, and they'll find a way.

WeAreArthurMoates
07-14-2010, 08:37 AM
When did Miami get a new QB to be consider this SB contender, I thought Henne was still there.

mayotm
07-14-2010, 08:48 AM
I have no problem with his assessment of the Bills. I do find it strange that Lombardi thinks the Dolphins are better than the Jets and the Pats.

psubills62
07-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Miami a SB contender? I think they need to improve their passing defense. They also lost 16 sacks when Taylor/Porter left. They're going to automatically replace those with Koa Misi?

Night Train
07-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Getting Brandon Marshall makes Miami the sexy pick but too many other questions abound. Henne at QB, OL, the Defense...

I think the media roots for them so they can make frequent trips to South Beach and become A-listers with Lebron & J-Lo.

Pinkerton Security
07-14-2010, 09:22 AM
I was gonna say we werent a brown chip, but we're also not a orange chip because we're gonna take a step back before we can take any steps forward, so I guess brown chip is ok.

rcd333
07-14-2010, 10:17 AM
http://stellarspectral.com/memes/trlht.jpg

Jan Reimers
07-14-2010, 10:18 AM
I was gonna say we werent a brown chip, but we're also not a orange chip because we're gonna take a step back before we can take any steps forward, so I guess brown chip is ok.
I think a Buffalo chip would be most appropriate for Lombardi's analysis.

LtFinFan66
07-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Miami a SB contender? I think they need to improve their passing defense. They also lost 16 sacks when Taylor/Porter left. They're going to automatically replace those with Koa Misi?and their first round draft pick

better days
07-14-2010, 10:52 AM
Getting Brandon Marshall makes Miami the sexy pick but too many other questions abound. Henne at QB, OL, the Defense...

I think the media roots for them so they can make frequent trips to South Beach and become A-listers with Lebron & J-Lo.

I think Ronnie Brown at RB will be a big question for the Fins. Can he come back & play as he did or will he look more like an average back?

psubills62
07-14-2010, 10:55 AM
and their first round draft pick
Two rookies, one a rotational 3-4 DE, and the other a transitioning 3-4 OLB are going to combine for 16 sacks? Man, if you were a Bills fan Op would be all over this.

LtFinFan66
07-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Two rookies, one a rotational 3-4 DE, and the other a transitioning 3-4 OLB are going to combine for 16 sacks? Man, if you were a Bills fan Op would be all over this.did I say they would make up all those sacks? Nope....just pointing out their 1st rounder who you failed to mention though he went to Penn State

WeAreArthurMoates
07-14-2010, 11:52 AM
did I say they would make up all those sacks? Nope....just pointing out their 1st rounder who you failed to mention though he went to Penn State

It's extremely tough to count on rookie DE's for sacks let a lone former DT's who are no playing DE in the 3-4.

Mike
07-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Most fans have delusions about their team and think that they are better than they really are, and this includes the Bills and the Dolphins.

I think the Top 3 teams in the AFC East are about even, and the Bills are on the bottom. Jets overachieved a little last year, unless they put it all together they will not return to the Championship game. Conversely, they have the same poetential as that Ravens team whose defence took them all the way... Pats need defensive overhaul, and I have not seen enough of the new look Phins with Marshal -getting him for a 2nd what a steal- to say that I would put them in the top 3 in the AFC.

Griff
07-14-2010, 12:44 PM
lol Miami a superbowl contender.

elltrain22
07-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Buffalo's chip should not be brown. It should just be a big pile of poop! Thats how bad this team looks.

Mr. Pink
07-14-2010, 02:14 PM
I think Ronnie Brown at RB will be a big question for the Fins. Can he come back & play as he did or will he look more like an average back?

Ricky showed he's more than capable of carrying the ball 25 times a game still last year.

RB is no question mark for the Fish.

mightysimi
07-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Two rookies, one a rotational 3-4 DE, and the other a transitioning 3-4 OLB are going to combine for 16 sacks? Man, if you were a Bills fan Op would be all over this.

Cameron Wake is a monster. I think he'll have 10+

SquishDaFish
07-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Cameron Wake is a monster. I think he'll have 10+

Ill take that bet. He does look good but no monster sorry.

I agree with the Bills location but way over hyping the Fish sorry. Jets should be the #1 team right now with Miami and NE battling for 2nd as of now. It can all change once pads come on though.

better days
07-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Ricky showed he's more than capable of carrying the ball 25 times a game still last year.

RB is no question mark for the Fish.

I agree Ricky is the man, but he could get injured, then what? That is why I am happy the Bills are keeping Lynch, you can never have too many good players.

Mike13
07-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Not this year, it all depends on how good Henne will be.

Electrici
07-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Have to agree with his Bills opinion.

Nighthawk
07-15-2010, 09:46 PM
This list's credibility is totally lost by having the Phins as a "blue chip" team. No denying that the Bills are in rebuilding mode, but it's laughable to have the Phins ranked like that.