• TheGhostofJimKelly
    • May 2003

The Top Nine Remaining Free Agents Not Named Kovalchuk

Here is the best of the rest, soon to be signed by other teams:

• OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: The Top Nine Remaining Free Agents Not Named Kovalchuk

Lmao- Max had a career high in goals but still finished a -17. "defensive liability" is the perfect description.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

it's always good to get an idea of who isn't going to be on the sabres.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

I wonder how much a Buffalo kid like Stempniak would be asking for? Would he really even be any kind of upgrade though? He reminds me of Pomminville bigtime.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
          I wonder how much a Buffalo kid like Stempniak would be asking for? Would he really even be any kind of upgrade though? He reminds me of Pomminville bigtime.
          He'd be an upgrade over Stafford.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
            He'd be an upgrade over Stafford.
            True. Just saying he is very similar to the soft undersized players we already have, and that fans are *****ing about. I don't like Stafford all that much but I could easily see him out performing Stepniak next year for a lot less money.

This is why a big move needs to be made. Get a guy like Kaberle or Sharp from Chicago.

I would love Sharp in a big way.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

you know, I'm glad this team doesn't constantly go after the "big" move and waste money/trade prospects for guys who never equal their prior levels.

But at the same time, what was the last big move this team made? Briere? It's been at least 5 years since this team has made a big move, and it's bordering on the ridiculous. Clearly, a change is needed. I understand using caution and due diligence to find the right move. I don't understand this FO's pathological fear of any and all "big" moves.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                • Jul 2002

you know, I'm glad this team doesn't constantly go after the "big" move and waste money/trade prospects for guys who never equal their prior levels.

But at the same time, what was the last big move this team made? Briere? It's been at least 5 years since this team has made a big move, and it's bordering on the ridiculous. Clearly, a change is needed. I understand using caution and due diligence to find the right move. I don't understand this FO's pathological fear of any and all "big" moves.
                I am right there with you Op.

There continued love for Stafford makes 0 sense.

At least Connolly and Roy have produce some in the past.

Comment

• hydro
                  • Oct 2005

Briere wasn't even that big of a move. He just started making a name for himself here I believe. Drury could be considered the last big move we made though.
                  BERNIAC!

Comment

• SabreEleven
                    • Aug 2002

I don't consider people leaving a move unless you get something back but I guess it could be a move because you can move backwards which is the way this team has been moving for the last 3 years.

I have a hunch the Sabres won't make the playoffs this coming season.

Comment

• RockStar36
                      Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by SabreEleven
                      I don't consider people leaving a move unless you get something back but I guess it could be a move because you can move backwards which is the way this team has been moving for the last 3 years.

I have a hunch the Sabres won't make the playoffs this coming season.
                      It's called addition by subtraction.

Losing Afinogenov is a move where the Sabres lost something and improved.

Your theory sucks.

D & S Sports

Comment

• SabreEleven
                        • Aug 2002

Originally posted by RockStar36

Your theory sucks.
                        They've done a lot more "subtraction by subtraction" then they've done "addition by subtraction"

Kotalik was addition by subtraction.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by RockStar36

Your theory sucks.
                          Addition by subtraction only works if there is someone else in the organization who can step up into the role and do an equal or better job.

We lost Tallinder and Lydman. Who is going to step up and equal one of them on defense? Weber? Sekera? Butler?

I just don't see it from any of those 3.

Our biggest issues from last year (actually the last 3 years) are:
                          1. Toughness/Physical play
                          2. PP scoring
                          3. Overall Scoring
                          4. Backup goaltending.

Neidermeyer and McCormick (if he gets called up) may help with the toughness. We didn't add a single PP guy. We didn't add a single scorer. And we re-signed the same backup goaltender.

So, it's easy to see how this team is worse than last year and very hard to see how they are better.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• RockStar36
                            Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                            • Sep 2004

Addition by subtraction only works if there is someone else in the organization who can step up into the role and do an equal or better job.

We lost Tallinder and Lydman. Who is going to step up and equal one of them on defense? Weber? Sekera? Butler?

I just don't see it from any of those 3.

Our biggest issues from last year (actually the last 3 years) are:
                            1. Toughness/Physical play
                            2. PP scoring
                            3. Overall Scoring
                            4. Backup goaltending.

Neidermeyer and McCormick (if he gets called up) may help with the toughness. We didn't add a single PP guy. We didn't add a single scorer. And we re-signed the same backup goaltender.

So, it's easy to see how this team is worse than last year and very hard to see how they are better.
                            Doubtful on Sekera and Butler, but who knows on Weber. None of us can say one way or another whether or not he can fill their shoes until we actually see him play. So in that sense, we'll have to trust them to make the right decision. Do I want Kaberle? Yes I do, but I also don't want the Sabres to get raped by Brian Burke, which is exactly what he's trying to do.

Also keep in mind that Kaberle is a UFA after this season. So maybe the Sabres don't want to give up a ton because he'll hit the market next summer and they can just sign him.

McCormick will be up, he signed a one way deal. I have nothing against Mair and Ellis, but Neidermayer and McCormick are an improvement over those two, although it might only be a slight improvement. Neidermayer also fills a different role, similar to Mike Grier, which can really help the team.

The rest we'll have to wait and see. I have confidence that Ennis and maybe even Gerbe can help pick up the scoring slack.

I agree with you guys on the core and want them gone, but I'm also not going to get bent out of shape about it because I doubt it will happen.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                              Zero for Zero!
                              • Mar 2003

Overall scoring was not a big problem last year. They were 10th in the NHL.

As for defense, Butler is still quite young. I am not ready to give up on him yet.
                              Originally posted by mysticsoto
                              Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

Working...
                              X