PDA

View Full Version : Considering all the crap Gailey has had to work with in the past....

BidsJr
07-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Maybe our O will be decent?

43-22 with Kordell, Mike Tomczak and Jay Feidler as QB's.

Does it turn out Edwards is >/= to those guys?

:fishfry:

justasportsfan
07-14-2010, 01:38 PM
NO. It's the bills. Can't happen here. We will suck no matter what.

ddaryl
07-14-2010, 01:39 PM
I'll say it again

the 2010 season is all about Gailey and Company....

a chance to really see how much decent coaching affects a team when compared to Jauron

mightysimi
07-14-2010, 01:45 PM
The one thing I can't shake about all of this is if Gailey is so good at getting something out of nothing, why did it take 10 years to get another job as HC in the NFL. He never seemed to be on any shortlists that I've heard and no one dubbed him as a potential candidate.

I know he was at Georgia Tech but the top college coaches get talked about all the time when there is a vacancy. Just curious as to why this is.

The last buffalo fan
07-14-2010, 01:47 PM
The one thing I can't shake about all of this is if Gailey is so good at getting something out of nothing, why did it take 10 years to get another job as HC in the NFL. He never seemed to be on any shortlists that I've heard and no one dubbed him as a potential candidate.

I know he was at Georgia Tech but the top college coaches get talked about all the time when there is a vacancy. Just curious as to why this is.

He was waiting for us! :up:

mightysimi
07-14-2010, 03:29 PM
He was waiting for us! :up:

Like when the student is ready the master will appear kind of kung fu ****. Awesome.

justasportsfan
07-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Like when the student is ready the master will appear kind of kung fu ****. Awesome.

More like "be like wahtah my friend"

JCBills
07-14-2010, 03:39 PM
More like "be like wahtah my friend"

Bruce was a great man.

justasportsfan
07-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Bruce was a great man.

I'd kick his arse if he were alive today.

ParanoidAndroid
07-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Evans went from looking like a perennial pro bowler to a mediocre WR. The question of how a team with Evans, TO, Freddie and Lynch couldn't score, can only be answered by asking the head coach and the OC. Whenthey were asked, they basically said, "I don't know. We gotta figure it out." They never did...... totally inept and impotent.

THATHURMANATOR
07-14-2010, 03:47 PM
I think Edwards is on par with those guys.

jonespostman
07-14-2010, 04:01 PM
I think Edwards is on par with those guys.

Is that a good thing?

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
07-14-2010, 04:16 PM

He has

Barring a dramatic last-minute U-turn, the Miami Dolphins will announce later today that Georgia Tech's Chan Gailey has beaten San Diego offensive co-ordinator Cam Cameron in the race to become their new head coach
The process to fill the Dolphins' head coaching vacancy following Nick Saban's departure to Alabama is likely to be over on Thursday, with Gailey leading the race

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-429758/Dolphins-announce-Chan-Gailey-new-head-coach.html#ixzz0th46MzYy

I think there are a few others teams that were interested throughout the years as well

Nighthawk
07-14-2010, 05:44 PM
He has

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-429758/Dolphins-announce-Chan-Gailey-new-head-coach.html#ixzz0th46MzYy

I think there are a few others teams that were interested throughout the years as well

How awesome would it be to see Chan beat the team that passed him over in the opener? Ahh...I'm getting pumped for Training Camp!

mightysimi
07-14-2010, 06:26 PM
He has

Right I read that he was considered for Miami and Pittsburgh recently as those were the places that he was OC. However, when a coaching search comes up, and there have been a few, you rarely heard his name. Considering his well documented talent of getting good production out of random Schmoes.

Nighthawk
07-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Right I read that he was considered for Miami and Pittsburgh recently as those were the places that he was OC. However, when a coaching search comes up, and there have been a few, you rarely heard his name. Considering his well documented talent of getting good production out of random Schmoes.

KC was going to hire him last season, but Pioli felt that the fans would not be happy without them going out and getting a "hotter" name in the up & coming coaching game. He's been around the coaching openings more then people have been aware. Was he my first choice, no...but his credentials don't lie...the guy knows offense.

mightysimi
07-14-2010, 09:02 PM
KC was going to hire him last season, but Pioli felt that the fans would not be happy without them going out and getting a "hotter" name in the up & coming coaching game. He's been around the coaching openings more then people have been aware. Was he my first choice, no...but his credentials don't lie...the guy knows offense.

I agree he does know offence. To be honest, I'm not upset at all that he is the coach. It's just like I said before, if he was so good at doing what he is reported to do, why did it take him 10 years to get another job?

Johnny Bugmenot
07-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Remember the last guy who had his career revived in an almost identical manner?

Art Shell. 1-15 his first season back-- and gone. Not particularly encouraging.

better days
07-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Remember the last guy who had his career revived in an almost identical manner?

Art Shell. 1-15 his first season back-- and gone. Not particularly encouraging.

I must have been really drunk for a few years there. I do not remember Chan being HC of the Bills then fired & rehired 12 years later.

PromoTheRobot
07-15-2010, 12:52 AM

Because nobody hires old people for anything these days. You always want the young hot shot. Coaches don't come with labels on them saying "guaranteed to get you to the playoffs." Team owners and GM's are not much different than us. They see a young guy and figure he's going to do a better job than the old fart.

PTR

Johnny Bugmenot
07-15-2010, 05:51 AM
I must have been really drunk for a few years there. I do not remember Chan being HC of the Bills then fired & rehired 12 years later. I said "nearly" identical, not "identical." The obvious difference is different teams, but you have to wonder about whether the game has passed him by yet. So much of coaching is about innovation-- staying ahead of the other guy's strategies. If he comes back to the NFL after 10+ years out of it, can he still do that-- or revert to the late-1990s strategies he used last time that have probably been figured out by their opponents already? Art Shell is the most egregious case of failing in this.

Interestingly, Gailey's profile more closely fits Pete Carroll's than Shell's-- both out of the NFL for extended periods of time, but in the college ranks instead. It'll be interesting to compare how each team performs this year.

Typ0
07-15-2010, 06:01 AM
he couldn't beat out Greg Williams, Mike Moolarkey or Dick Jauron. I wonder what has changed now.

Jan Reimers
07-15-2010, 07:30 AM
Apparently, Gailey was not a part of that mediocre, recycled coaches' club, whose members surface over and over again on short lists, media reports and even on the sidelines of teams who are more interested in a glamorous "name coach" than a solid, hard working football man.

psubills62
07-15-2010, 08:19 AM
I said "nearly" identical, not "identical." The obvious difference is different teams, but you have to wonder about whether the game has passed him by yet. So much of coaching is about innovation-- staying ahead of the other guy's strategies. If he comes back to the NFL after 10+ years out of it, can he still do that-- or revert to the late-1990s strategies he used last time that have probably been figured out by their opponents already? Art Shell is the most egregious case of failing in this.

Interestingly, Gailey's profile more closely fits Pete Carroll's than Shell's-- both out of the NFL for extended periods of time, but in the college ranks instead. It'll be interesting to compare how each team performs this year.
That's an interesting point, although I wouldn't say the majority of offenses nowadays are truly that innovative. Both the Colts and Saints have offenses similar to what Brady and co. ran in 2007. The wildcat thing was copied a decent amount. It's a "copycat league," after all.

You may end up being right about Gailey and the game passing him by, but that's just something we'll have to find out about as the season goes by. I have confidence that he's good enough offensively to help us improve relatively significantly.

better days
07-15-2010, 11:57 AM
That's an interesting point, although I wouldn't say the majority of offenses nowadays are truly that innovative. Both the Colts and Saints have offenses similar to what Brady and co. ran in 2007. The wildcat thing was copied a decent amount. It's a "copycat league," after all.

You may end up being right about Gailey and the game passing him by, but that's just something we'll have to find out about as the season goes by. I have confidence that he's good enough offensively to help us improve relatively significantly.

Considering what he had to work with in KC, I thought his offense there was better with what the Bills had that year ( I'm not talking stats, I'm talking about the excitement factor) & the Bills had much more talent than the Chiefs.

Nighthawk
07-15-2010, 12:08 PM
I agree he does know offence. To be honest, I'm not upset at all that he is the coach. It's just like I said before, if he was so good at doing what he is reported to do, why did it take him 10 years to get another job?

Damn Canadians...you spelled offense incorrectly! :funny:

WeAreArthurMoates
07-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Is that a good thing?

It is considering the success he had with them. Mind you, under Gailey, Jay freaking Fielder threw 20 freaking TD's. This is my only solece if Trent starts. Trent is much more talented than Jay but plays a similar game. You can at least design a better short game offense with Trent. Having two tight ends and 2 wrs is not a good base formation for a qb who throws short. You need 3 or 4 wr sets, with a good deal of motion and odd formations. You also need a commiment to the run as well as the playaction. All this stuff has been non existant under Jauron.

better days
07-15-2010, 12:12 PM
It is considering the success he had with them. Mind you, under Gailey, Jay freaking Fielder threw 20 freaking TD's. This is my only solece if Trent starts. Trent is much more talented than Jay but plays a similar game. You can at least design a better short game offense with Trent. Having two tight ends and 2 wrs is not a good base formation for a qb who throws short. You need 3 or 4 wr sets, with a good deal of motion and odd formations. You also need a commiment to the run as well as the playaction. All this stuff has been non existant under Jauron.

I saw a clip from the OTA's where Trent rolled to his right & threw DOWNFIELD for a nice long gain. We never saw anying like that under Jauron. Now if he can do that in a real game...............

Mike
07-15-2010, 01:46 PM
I dont know why most of you are considering Gaily to be some great offensive mind. When was the last time he had a Top 3 Offence? I would guess never. What about a Top 5 or Top 10 offence? Maybe he cracked the top 10 which is not that impressive when you consider that it includes about 1/3 of the Teams. Being in the Top 31% is worse than getting a C on your midterm! (truly great offences should be at least in the top 10%, which is in the top3)

Okay, so some of you will bring up the Dolphins, Chiefs, and Steelers which all had Okay offences.Many Bills Fans gave similar credit to Malarkey for the Steelers success and having to work with a guy like Stewart and some other no-name qbs. He came here, as a good offensive co-ordinator and laid a big goose egg. The offences under him stunk. He later went to Miami and had similar results.

Gaily, is not a great offensive mind. He is middle of the pack type of guy that focuses on a run heavy offence. With what we have at the o-line get ready for run-run-pass-punt. Remember those good old days? Run, Run, Pass, Punt , ohh yeah they were with Mularkey...

Mike
07-15-2010, 01:53 PM
The Bottom line is that the Bills do not have the personal to have a good offence. Simply that is what is missing, and above all else we needed a great talent evaluator who could put the pieces together. A guy like Parcels, or Shanny, or Cowart, etc.... and we simply did not get that type of guy in here!

What will happen is what has been happening for the past 10years. In the beginning for the 2000's we went with a Great Defense mind, and he really was great at defense. Our defense improved to #2 overall and we almost made the playoffs, but what was missing? Offence, so we fired our coach (who btw just won a SB ring for helping improve Saints Defense) and hired an offensive coach who was run oriented (Mularkey). That did not work, so we fired him and hired a Defensive Cover 2 Coach who focused more on Passing in Jouron. And after a few more years, we fired him and hired a an Offense Run first coach. Its like a see saw, it keeps going back and forth, without solving any of the original issues, like Talent evaluation, scouting, and getting the right people drafted and signed as FA.

better days
07-15-2010, 02:14 PM
The Bottom line is that the Bills do not have the personal to have a good offence. Simply that is what is missing, and above all else we needed a great talent evaluator who could put the pieces together. A guy like Parcels, or Shanny, or Cowart, etc.... and we simply did not get that type of guy in here!

What will happen is what has been happening for the past 10years. In the beginning for the 2000's we went with a Great Defense mind, and he really was great at defense. Our defense improved to #2 overall and we almost made the playoffs, but what was missing? Offence, so we fired our coach (who btw just won a SB ring for helping improve Saints Defense) and hired an offensive coach who was run oriented (Mularkey). That did not work, so we fired him and hired a Defensive Cover 2 Coach who focused more on Passing in Jouron. And after a few more years, we fired him and hired a an Offense Run first coach. Its like a see saw, it keeps going back and forth, without solving any of the original issues, like Talent evaluation, scouting, and getting the right people drafted and signed as FA.

Buddy Nix has received accolades as a talent evaluator from people such as Marty Schottenheimer. Chan Gailey has received accolades as a coach from many including Bill Cowher. Think what you like but football people think the Bills have addressed the issues you are concerned with.

Spiderweb
07-15-2010, 10:35 PM
I must have been really drunk for a few years there. I do not remember Chan being HC of the Bills then fired & rehired 12 years later.

Bot to mention how sorry of a team the Raiders were when Shell was brought back. Davis hadn't done him any favors in getting decent talent.......(rings familiar?)

Throne Logic
07-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Because nobody hires old people for anything these days. You always want the young hot shot. Coaches don't come with labels on them saying "guaranteed to get you to the playoffs." Team owners and GM's are not much different than us. They see a young guy and figure he's going to do a better job than the old fart.

PTR

Compared to Ralph, Chan is the proverbial Spring Chicken . . .

HHURRICANE
07-16-2010, 09:01 AM

Ask Georgia Tech fans what they think of him. I live here in Atlanta and they hate him.

WeAreArthurMoates
07-16-2010, 09:50 AM
I dont know why most of you are considering Gaily to be some great offensive mind. When was the last time he had a Top 3 Offence? I would guess never. What about a Top 5 or Top 10 offence? Maybe he cracked the top 10 which is not that impressive when you consider that it includes about 1/3 of the Teams. Being in the Top 31% is worse than getting a C on your midterm! (truly great offences should be at least in the top 10%, which is in the top3)

Okay, so some of you will bring up the Dolphins, Chiefs, and Steelers which all had Okay offences.Many Bills Fans gave similar credit to Malarkey for the Steelers success and having to work with a guy like Stewart and some other no-name qbs. He came here, as a good offensive co-ordinator and laid a big goose egg. The offences under him stunk. He later went to Miami and had similar results.

Gaily, is not a great offensive mind. He is middle of the pack type of guy that focuses on a run heavy offence. With what we have at the o-line get ready for run-run-pass-punt. Remember those good old days? Run, Run, Pass, Punt , ohh yeah they were with Mularkey...

Middle of the pack is litterally 16th in the league, why's that cause it's smack dab in the middle. So finishing in the top 1/3 is much better than middle of the pact. So that makes no sense. In Pittsburgh he finished 16th, 7th, 11th and 5th in scoring offense. In Dallas finished 9th, 11th in scoring offense and in Miami finished 16th and 8th. Chan is consistant, smart and can change his scheme on the fly. Chans philosophy is perfect for Buffalo, he's aggressive but will always pound the rock.

WeAreArthurMoates
07-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Ask Georgia Tech fans what they think of him. I live here in Atlanta and they hate him.

College fans and alumni are insane though, cut throat. I live in Syracuse and before there championship, fans wanted Boehim gone at one point.

justasportsfan
07-16-2010, 09:54 AM
One thing I'm sure of is that Gailey isn't going to make the FINAL decision to run the No Huddle without the right personel to do so. Dick was too STUPID to think his players could pull it off . All it resulted in were defenses laughing at our players who didn't confuse anyone but themselves. Our O looked like a bunch of chickens running around with their head cut off.

better days
07-16-2010, 10:14 AM
College fans and alumni are insane though, cut throat. I live in Syracuse and before there championship, fans wanted Boehim gone at one point.

Yeah, Ga Tech fans want Tech to beat the Ga Bulldogs........No Coach will ever make that happen.

mayotm
07-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Ask Georgia Tech fans what they think of him. I live here in Atlanta and they hate him.Most members of the Bills Zone feel the same way about you as the folks in Atlanta feel about Chan.

PromoTheRobot
07-16-2010, 12:12 PM
he couldn't beat out Greg Williams, Mike Moolarkey or Dick Jauron. I wonder what has changed now.
I don't recall Gailey being considered for those jobs but whatever, man.

PTR

Typ0
07-16-2010, 08:50 PM
I don't recall Gailey being considered for those jobs but whatever, man.

PTR

If he didn't even get considered for the jobs he must have really sucked then. I wonder what has changed.

mightysimi
07-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Damn Canadians...you spelled offense incorrectly! :funny:

That's a colourful way to talk. It's an honour to be speaking with you about offence. LOL!!

Mike
07-17-2010, 04:10 PM
uddy Nix has received accolades as a talent evaluator from people such as Marty Schottenheimer. Chan Gailey has received accolades as a coach from many including Bill Cowher. Think what you like but football people think the Bills have addressed the issues you are concerned with.

That is the problem with accolades, is that everyone gets them. Dick Jouron got accolades from former players, coaches, and other NFL personnel, he even won Coach of the Year. That is one huge accolade. I put accolades up there with Testimonials.

In the end Talk is Cheap! And Actions Speak Louder than Words! On one side a few NFL personnel were give Nix a round of applause for his new promotion while some of the same NFL personnel were bashing the move. Many in the NFL felt that Buffalo, by hiring Nix, did not really change all that much in a very dysfunctional organization. They felt that it was a very bad hire, and this is one reason many of the top coaches passed on Buffalo.

I know that Bills fans get angry when someone talks badly about their team, gm, or coach but are in favor when they talk positively. So if you are willing to take the good, the accolades, then you should also consider the flip side of the story, and the negative reactions to the Nix hire among prospective coaches.

Mike
07-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Middle of the pack is litterally 16th in the league, why's that cause it's smack dab in the middle. So finishing in the top 1/3 is much better than middle of the pact. So that makes no sense. In Pittsburgh he finished 16th, 7th, 11th and 5th in scoring offense. In Dallas finished 9th, 11th in scoring offense and in Miami finished 16th and 8th. Chan is consistant, smart and can change his scheme on the fly. Chans philosophy is perfect for Buffalo, he's aggressive but will always pound the rock.

On Chan's offenses: 17 & 16 are totally middle of the road offences. He hit 11th 2times, then he also hit 7,8,9 and the highest was 5th. Overall, using your numbers 4 he was in the top 10 4times and outside the top 10 4times, so is that great by any means?

I don't think so. To be great at anything you should be in the 10%. For example if you get a 90% on a test that is an A- but your still in Top 10 percentile. To be very good, you should be in 80% percentile and good is 70% percentile.

So in NFL terms, Great Offence are in the Top 3, Very Good Offences are in the Top 6, and a good offence will be in the top 10.

He has Never had a Great Offence, he has had a Very good Offence 1 time, and a good offence 3times. The other 4times he has had average offences.

Overall he is above average offensively. Mind you, just because a coach is a good co-coordinator does not mean that it will translate to the Head Coaching Position. We all should know that by now.