PDA

View Full Version : Theory on why no 1st rounders are signed

mightysimi
07-18-2010, 08:55 AM
My theory is that this year, the teams have all the leverage. In other years, the players leverage was holding out and threatening to re-enter the draft. I know that never happens but I believe it's part of the the player leverage. This year, the players have no such leverage as the teams would say go ahead, re-enter the draft and get signed after a new CBA and rookie wage scale comes into place. So I wonder if the teams are trying to low ball everyone. Like I said just a theory.

YardRat
07-18-2010, 09:04 AM
Could be, but expect the action to heat up in the next couple of weeks. Last season, only 13 first-rounders were signed by August 1.

http://www.buffalonews.com/2009/07/31/750198/signing-status-of-2009-nfl-draft.html

HHURRICANE
07-18-2010, 09:14 AM
These rookie contracts are ruining football.

Jamarcus Russell getting 30 million so he can buy sip-sip from some drug dealer makes me sick.

If these contracts remain than they should be set up like trusts. The players get money structured over time. 25% now, 25% at 30, 25% at 40.

It would force these players to really look at their life beyond football.

YardRat
07-18-2010, 09:28 AM
These rookie contracts are ruining football.

Jamarcus Russell getting 30 million so he can buy sip-sip from some drug dealer makes me sick.

If these contracts remain than they should be set up like trusts. The players get money structured over time. 25% now, 25% at 30, 25% at 40.

It would force these players to really look at their life beyond football.

That's their responsibility, not the team's.

Ebenezer
07-18-2010, 09:36 AM
Reason they are not signed: July 18.

YardRat
07-18-2010, 09:44 AM
http://www.inquisitr.com/30569/nfl-first-round-draft-pick-contract-signing-status-update/

Last season, as of 7/25, only three had signed at that point.

Goobylal
07-18-2010, 09:48 AM
A rookie cap probably won't go into effect before the 2012 season. So I doubt that's the reason.

mightysimi
07-18-2010, 09:52 AM
http://www.inquisitr.com/30569/nfl-first-round-draft-pick-contract-signing-status-update/

Last season, as of 7/25, only three had signed at that point.

Right, but has anyone heard of anyone talking except Bradford? Usually there is some action. Like I said just a theory and something to talk about in the slow season.

mightysimi
07-18-2010, 09:53 AM
A rookie cap probably won't go into effect before the 2012 season. So I doubt that's the reason.

You think? If that is the huge issue which I believe it is one of them, why wouldn't it be instituted right away?

YardRat
07-18-2010, 09:58 AM
You think? If that is the huge issue which I believe it is one of them, why wouldn't it be instituted right away?

They have to agree to a new CBA first.

Goobylal
07-18-2010, 12:20 PM
They have to agree to a new CBA first.
Yep. And any changes would take effect the following year. From what I've read, there will be a draft next year and those will be the last rookie contracts that won't be subject to a true rookie cap.

trapezeus
07-18-2010, 12:27 PM
i feel like back in the day before OTA's and such, not having people signed was a huge problem because players simply didn't show up for anything. now most rookies come to OTA's and get to work out and see the playbook. so holding out isn't such a big deal. they're already getting assimilated into the system.

I'd say 10 years ago before these systems, it was devastating because they were literally missing their only chance to learn everything.

psubills62
07-18-2010, 01:47 PM
I'd say a significant reason is because Bradford didn't sign with the Rams before the draft like Stafford did with the Lions. That and NFL FO's have been on vacation lately.

Beebe's Kid
07-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Right, but has anyone heard of anyone talking except Bradford? Usually there is some action. Like I said just a theory and something to talk about in the slow season.

Bradford is the one that will set the high water mark, then they will all fall in line after him.

jamze132
07-19-2010, 03:13 AM
Of course teams are lowballing all of their draftees. Who knows whats going to happen in 2011?

THRILLHO
07-19-2010, 08:28 AM
Bradford is the one that will set the high water mark, then they will all fall in line after him.

I think he will be one of the last to sign. And therein lies the issue; Agents know that Bradford SHOULD get record money, and they will want to cash in on that. There is speculation that Suh could get more than Stafford did. So our best hope is that Stafford does get signed soon so that all the others can fall in line after him. The last #1 pick to not be signed before the draft held out for a while. Lets hope the Rams give in and just sign the guy already. Otherwise it could be a long training camp for a lot of teams....

DraftBoy
07-19-2010, 10:37 AM

Ive heard news about almost every single one of the 1st Round picks and their contracts. Everybody is currently working on their deals, many have general frame work laid out but waiting for the slotting to begin. Bradford sets the mark and the others will finish quickly after sans a few.

Ebenezer
07-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Today's theory on why they are not signed: July 19.

mightysimi
07-19-2010, 02:47 PM
Today's theory on why they are not signed: July 19.

Right but there was a post in another thread quoting Adam Schefter about shock that there is no signings on July 19th. This is not normal.

Joe Fo Sho
07-19-2010, 04:38 PM
My theory is... That it's casting a shadow, from... The otha' limb...

Night Train
07-19-2010, 04:49 PM
If Spiller were to sign a week before the opener, I wouldn't be upset. Seriously.

The guy is a physical specimen and will be running and catching swing passes this season, in addition to possible kick returns. I don't wish to see him injured in some stupid pre-season game or drill.

He's not going to be in the backfield to block on passing downs. He'll be in the slot or in motion to be one of the primary targets. He doesn't need to be taught blazing speed and open field moves. He's got that down to a science already.

Here's Spillers first season in a nutshell. Get him the ball and watch the opposition yell " oh **** ! " as he turns a predictable 4 yard gain into far more. That's why he's here. As long as Jackson is healthy and the Bills are serious about not dealing Lynch this summer, I don't worry about a supposed signing deadline with him

Just be in pads for the opener and I'm sure we'll find a way to use him. :rolleyes: