Some interesting stats about RB's under Chan..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Some interesting stats about RB's under Chan..

Fred Jackson, RB, Bills: Currently going two rounds later than C.J. Spiller, I said it on our podcast and I will say it here: Fred Jackson will be the best fantasy running back in Buffalo this year. Did you know he was actually the 16th best fantasy running back last year? He'll get the majority of touches compared to Spiller (who is more of a home run threat). ESPN researcher Gregory Found, of Matt Forte entry fame, also looked at running backs under new Bills coach Chan Gailey for me.
    Check out these stats:
    Running backs under Chan Gailey

1998 Cowboys Rushes Yards TDs Yards per game Rec Rec yards Rec TDs
    Emmitt Smith 319.0 1332 13 83.3 27 175 2
    Sherman Williams 64.0 220 1 13.8 11 104 0
    1999 Cowboys Rushes Yards TDs Yards per game Rec Rec yards Rec TDs
    Emmitt Smith 329.0 1397 11 93.1 27 119 2
    Chris Warren 99.0 403 2 25.2 34 224 0
    2000 Dolphins Rushes Yards TDs Yards per game Rec Rec yards Rec TDs
    Lamar Smith 309.0 1139 14 75.9 31 201 2
    Thurman Thomas 28.0 136 0 15.1 16 117 1
    2001 Dolphins Rushes Yards TDs Yards per game Rec Rec yards Rec TDs
    Lamar Smith 313.0 968 6 60.5 30 234 2
    Travis Minor 59.0 281 2 17.6 29 263 1
    2008 Chiefs Rushes Yards TDs Yards per game Rec Rec yards Rec TDs
    Larry Johnson 193.0 874 5 72.8 12 74 0
    Jamaal Charles 67.0 357 0 22.3 27 272 1

Two things jump out. First, there's no time-share here. At all. Obviously, you have an Emmitt Smith, he's your workhorse. But you can't tell me Lamar Smith is some amazing talent that had to have 300 touches. Gainey's MO has been that one guy carries the majority of the load. Spiller is not built to be that kind of guy.

Second, notice how many receptions the second guy gets in each case despite not being on the field nearly as much. Some of that is dictated by the skill level of both runners at catching passes, but still. Even though Jackson is a very good pass-catcher (further underscoring him as the guy in this offense), Spiller will see a good many balls. Both are talented, but Jackson will represent the far better fantasy value this year.

• TMu11
    • Mar 2010

Re: Some interesting stats about RB's under Chan..

I don't think that the past will dictate what Gailey plans on doing with the Bills this year. He has a 3 headed running threat and would be stupid not to use it to his advantage. I highly doubt you will see the same trend continue.
    After Every Dark Night Comes a Brighter Day

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
      Legendary Zoner
      • May 2009

i think whoever wrote this is wrong.

Comment

• trapezeus
        Legendary Zoner
        • Oct 2004

i think it's an interesting find in historical stats. gailey isn't exactly a spring chicken. he probably follows his tendenacies without even knowing it.

it makes a lot of sense because it gives spiller a chance to learn throughout the year but remain a homerun threat. it gives the backfield more room to split between lynch and jackson.

it might be the best way to get all 3 on the field regularly.

Comment

• psubills62
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2008

I saw that today and it made me think, but here's a question I'd have for Matthew Berry (the guy who wrote that): how many of those 2nd-string RB's did Gailey choose in the first round of the draft prior to that year? The answer would be none.

There's a reason Gailey and co. picked Spiller so early and so quickly (Don't even know if Goodell was done reading Rolando McClain's name before Spiller was selected). I think Berry dismisses Spiller's workhorse capabilities too quickly. He's not physically built like most workhorse RB's, but Spiller can handle 15-20 touches per game easily. Spiller is also much more talented than Jackson (though I love what Jackson brings to this team).
          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• madness
            • Apr 2003

Lynch fits the workhorse profile more than Jackson and has the most limited skill set between the three. I still think Gailey wants Lynch to return to form and be the primary ball carrier while he uses Jackson and Spiller to create mismatches elsewhere on the field.

Comment

• k-oneputt
              • Jun 2009

Gailey didn't draft Spiller to give him a dozen touches a game. Jackson and Lynch are the old regime, Spiller is the guy.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by k-oneputt
                Gailey didn't draft Spiller to give him a dozen touches a game.
                In his rookie year, I expect that much only.

Pound and soften up defenses with Lynch and Jackson and then send in the homerun hitter in Spiller.
                Last edited by justasportsfan; 07-20-2010, 02:33 PM.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                  Peterman Sucks!
                  • Mar 2006

Jackson will get about 20 touches per game.

Spiller 10.

Lynch 2.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                    Jackson will get about 20 touches per game.

Spiller 10.

Lynch 2.
                    So you are saying one of the worst teams in the league wasted another top-12 draft pick on a player with minimal production ? No. Dick and his band of idiots are gone. This guy will be used.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                      Peterman Sucks!
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by k-oneputt
                      So you are saying one of the worst teams in the league wasted another top-12 draft pick on a player with minimal production ? No. Dick and his band of idiots are gone. This guy will be used.
                      Spiller is not a guy who's designed to be a workhorse.

He's a guy in the mold of Eric Metcalf and Reggie Bush.

He'll get up to a dozen touches per game to try and make something happen, not including if he gets punt return or kick return duties.

Comment

• EDS
                        • Jan 2003

He'll get up to a dozen touches per game to try and make something happen, not including if he gets punt return or kick return duties.
                        I don't think Spiller's build is what will limit him - Jamaal Charles and Chris Johnson are the same size. That said, for every smallish back like Charles or Johnson that emerges as a workhorse back there are plenty that do not become more than change of pace backs (i.e., Reggie Bush, Leon Washington, etc.).

If he is tough enough and the system is designed to utilize his talents he can be a 1000+ yard back early in his career. Whether he gets that chance with Jackson and Lynch on the roster remains to be seen.

I would not be surprised to see Spiller lined up in the slot on passing downs.

Comment

• dasaybz
                          • Apr 2005

Abso****inglutely no way. Comparing Spiller to Metcalf is ****ing idiotic.

Bush was supposed to be a workhorse coming out of college, he's too much of a pussy and doesn't run inside.

Spiller is a beast and will run up the gut. This dude isn't small, why do people think he's some 3rd down back that will be a full time kick and punt returner? This dude is legit and is going to touch the ball a ton. His carries may be limited this year, but next year and the years after that, I will almost guarantee you that he will be a 300 carry back.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by dasaybz
                            Abso****inglutely no way. Comparing Spiller to Metcalf is ****ing idiotic.

Bush was supposed to be a workhorse coming out of college, he's too much of a pussy and doesn't run inside.

Spiller is a beast and will run up the gut. This dude isn't small, why do people think he's some 3rd down back that will be a full time kick and punt returner? This dude is legit and is going to touch the ball a ton. His carries may be limited this year, but next year and the years after that, I will almost guarantee you that he will be a 300 carry back.
                            Well said.

Where the **** does the idea come from that Spiller is some 12 touch per game back. If Spiller has 12 touches that is only because he busted of a few 30+ yarders.

I know the negative-****-attitude is a result of the last ten years, blah blah ****ing blah.... but these guys drafted a top tier talent that will be giving even the negative *****s little boners by the 4th week of this season.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                              My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                              • Apr 2004

I can tell you one thing. This offense will finally be able to run a screen.... both over the top and jailbreak. Spiller will scare defenses in that regard.

Comment

Working...
                              X