• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsWin
    man amongst boys
    • Oct 2008

Shawn Nelson "fairly secure" as starter

LINK

Bills TE Shawn Nelson wasn't exactly a major contributor after being taken in the fourth round last season, catching just 17 passes and one touchdown in 12 games (all starts). But with the team's lack of receiving weapons heading into 2010, Nelson could be set to take on an increased role in the passing attack. From what we hear, not only is the Southern Miss product fairly secure in his starting job, but he was a busy target during offseason practices.

Good. I like him a lot and think he has the tools to become one of the better tight ends in the league.
    I am The Batman.
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Re: Shawn Nelson "fairly secure" as starter

I think he could be an elite pass-catching TE in the NFL with the right QB...sadly, we dont have that QB...still, we all know Trent loooooves the checkdown so Nelson might still catch 40 or 50 balls if he stays healthy.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

It's the writers opinion. If he doesn't improve on his blocking , he may not be the starting TE. This OL is gonna need a TE that can help out.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• WeAreArthurMoates
        • Feb 2009

He's becoming one of my favorite, he's right now holding me up on getting a spiller jersey.

Comment

• madness
          • Apr 2003

...by default?

buffalobillscom
          The Buffalo Bills today announced that the team has placed TE Joe Klopfenstein on injured reserve

Comment

• psubills62
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by madness
            ...by default?

buffalobillscom
            The Buffalo Bills today announced that the team has placed TE Joe Klopfenstein on injured reserve
            Yeah, now that Klopfenstein is out of way, Nelson will surely be able to keep his starting job safe! /sarcasm

Just messing with you, madness.

I think the top 3 TE's are Nelson, Schouman and Matthews. The latter is a guy Gailey seems to like.
            "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
              • Feb 2005

I question Blunda's assertion that Nelson started the 12 games... Schouman was the starter before he got hurt. And Nelson had quite a few games missed due to shoulder issues and migraine headaches.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                It's the writers opinion. If he doesn't improve on his blocking , he may not be the starting TE. This OL is gonna need a TE that can help out.
                For once, we agree- I was just going to say the exact same thing.

I hope he worked on his strength and blocking in the off-season.

If not, maybe Gailey will consider using him as a wideout.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ESPN Fantasy
                  2010 Season Outlook
                  Nelson runs a 4.56 40 at 240 pounds and has an immense wingspan, meaning he has the stature of a guy who could be a surprise fantasy star. But he had those same physical tools last year and managed just 18 catches in his rookie season. His problem comes down to the game's mental side; he isn't a good route-runner, and he frustrated Bills coaches with his lack of consistency. Really, though, there's no other tight end on Buffalo's roster who deserves to start above him. Maybe Chan Gailey takes it upon himself to make Nelson a factor.

Comment

• madness
                    • Apr 2003

Originally posted by psubills62
                    Yeah, now that Klopfenstein is out of way, Nelson will surely be able to keep his starting job safe! /sarcasm

Just messing with you, madness.

I think the top 3 TE's are Nelson, Schouman and Matthews. The latter is a guy Gailey seems to like.
                    me too.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                      The Voice of Reason
                      • Jul 2007

Derek Schouman seemed like the smart play to me, but I guess that safety net for the QB is a must.
                      Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                        Pinkerton's son
                        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by HargroveforMVP
                        Derek Schouman seemed like the smart play to me, but I guess that safety net for the QB is a must.
                        Schouman is more solid, but his upside isnt very high...you get what you see and not much else.

Im too lazy to look this up...where is Derek Fine? did we release him or is he on our roster still?

Comment

• psubills62
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
                          Schouman is more solid, but his upside isnt very high...you get what you see and not much else.

Im too lazy to look this up...where is Derek Fine? did we release him or is he on our roster still?
                          He's definitely not on our roster. Went to the Rams, got cut, now I think he's with the Texans.
                          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• JCBills
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                            Nelson won't be do-it-all Jason Witten out there, but I think he showed he can block last season, or at least be serviceable in the area. A good amount of #1 pass catching TEs are terrible blockers, and I wouldn't call Nelson terrible. Started off his career with a few key blocks leading to big plays and a TD catch in the same monday night. Plus the dude has WR speed, if he starts making plays, teams will be forced to account for him on every down.

Comment

• JCBills
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by OpIv37
                              For once, we agree- I was just going to say the exact same thing.

I hope he worked on his strength and blocking in the off-season.

If not, maybe Gailey will consider using him as a wideout.
                              I think we split him out a few times last preseason.

Comment

Working...
                              X