PDA

View Full Version : Why Trent will never be a good QB

Pinkerton Security
07-23-2010, 07:05 AM
I know its been discussed before but I was just reading an article on Aaron Rodgers in ESPN the Mag and it talked about how when he took over from Favre in GB, he knew he needed to let the team know he was serious about becoming THE leader, just as Favre was. So he took the initiative to invite the team, especially his lineman, to his house to BBQ, play guitar, whatever, and the lineman took a liking to this. Darren Colledge said something along the lines of the fact that if you have some emotional investment in a friendship of sorts, then you have that extra incentive to make that extra block in the 4th quarter when it matters.

I dont think Trent would ever do this. From what we've read, he's a bit of an enigma in the locker room and just doesnt seem to have the backing of his teammates. When you don't have the full trust of your teammates at any position, it is an issue...when its the QB, its a big issue.

Again, I know its been discussed but just thought I'd share this and I believe that it is why some players succeed and some dont.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
07-23-2010, 07:30 AM
The guy has no heart. He is Rob Johnson 2.0 imo.

ddaryl
07-23-2010, 08:31 AM
yadda yadda yadda.....

I do question Trent's ability to read D's and hit a moving target in stride.

trapezeus
07-23-2010, 08:37 AM
no amount of house party's is going to cover the issue that he can't make it through a season. and players respect those houseparty items as leadership, but they also like and respect their leader to get up after a licking and still lead the team on the field.

Beebe's Kid
07-23-2010, 08:43 AM
An enigma?

I know that people question the importance of the things that Rodgers did, and will say it has to do with Trent's ability to throw down field etc.

They wouldn't be wrong that Trent's abilities are worth calling into question. However, you are kidding yourself if you think that these "silly" things that Rodgers did, which you reduce to a "house party" are the intangible qualities that a QB must possess.

The ability to be the leader is what holds so many gifted athletes back from succeeding at the QB position.

The need for your QB to be your leader is what is keeping TO out of a job...

Jan Reimers
07-23-2010, 09:27 AM
People lead in many ways. Some are really verbal, in-your-face guys, others are more quiet but will speak when necessary, and some simply lead by example while hardly ever saying anything.

I get the impression that Trent has not really exhibited any of these characteristics.

Ron Burgundy
07-23-2010, 09:32 AM
I think Darren Colledge should do his ****ing job and block his man regardless of whether he and Aaron Rodgers like to have tickle-parties after the game or not.

HHURRICANE
07-23-2010, 09:35 AM
As I mentioned previously, one of his lineman at Stanford said the guy wasn't popular in the locker room and pretty much stayed to himself.

Jim Kelly had a great relationship with his lineman.

I was a big Trent fan until he took his benching like a complete pussy. If you are the true starter of the team than you let the media know that in no uncertain terms. Instead he had no problem watching Fitzputrid start.

I'm not holding out much hope here that he grew a pair in the off-season but we'll see.

BillsWin
07-23-2010, 09:41 AM
He'll never be a good QB because he reached a growing point, but instead of maturing and developing as a player and person he regressed. Now you can argue fault on the coaches, o-line or system, but anyway you spin it Edwards has had his chance. Save an absolute miracle, he is done when it comes to being a franchise QB. He could make an above average backup though.

HHURRICANE
07-23-2010, 09:47 AM
He'll never be a good QB because he reached a growing point, but instead of maturing and developing as a player and person he regressed. Now you can argue fault on the coaches, o-line or system, but anyway you spin it Edwards has had his chance. Save an absolute miracle, he is done when it comes to being a franchise QB. He could make an above average backup though.

A bad o-line is going to ****** any QBs growth.

I'm more concerned with Trent's lack of leadership than his QB skills.

justasportsfan
07-23-2010, 10:56 AM
I doubt anyone on the TEAM liked Dan Marino. That didn't stop him from being one of the best ever.

trapezeus
07-23-2010, 11:05 AM
but marino made up for his unlikeability with ridiculous talent. edwards was never the crazy talent guy. he needed to be well rounded. and he needed to stay healthy. this is his last shot to do so, if he is indeed crowned the starter.

justasportsfan
07-23-2010, 11:09 AM
but marino made up for his unlikeability with ridiculous talent. .
which is why I implied getting chummy with your OL doesn't make or break a qb.

better days
07-23-2010, 11:17 AM
I doubt anyone on the TEAM liked Dan Marino. That didn't stop him from being one of the best ever.

I don't know if Marino was liked or not by his team but there was no question he was the LEADER of that team.

better days
07-23-2010, 11:18 AM

What good is a back up that could be injured on the 1st or 2nd play he goes in?

justasportsfan
07-23-2010, 11:19 AM
I don't know if Marino was liked or not by his team but there was no question he was the LEADER of that team. I agree.
word is, he wasn't liked. He got in his players faces and never accepted fault. He was known to be a me QB. Forget the running game , it's was all about his arm. BUt he prdouced not because he was freinds with his OL.

better days
07-23-2010, 11:30 AM
I agree.
word is, he wasn't liked. He got in his players faces and never accepted fault. He was known to be a me QB. Forget the running game , it's was all about his arm. BUt he prdouced not because he was freinds with his OL.

Yeah, I can remember Marino screaming at players on his team if he thought they messed up. That said, I think it is great if a QB is liked by his team but it is a necessity that he is the leader of the team.

Jerry Jones has said that is why he got rid of T.O. He knew Romo would never be the team leader he had to be with T.O. on the team.

Trent has never been a leader on the Bills & not a single player came to his defense when he was demoted. When JP was demoted he had Evans come to his defense.

justasportsfan
07-23-2010, 11:33 AM
When JP was demoted he had Evans come to his defense.
thats because he would have personal gain with JP's arm. If I was Lee, I wouldn't want a Kelly Holcomb type of qb either.

Griff
07-23-2010, 11:36 AM
This really is his last chance, I thought it was last year, but TO turned into a tremendous bust.

better days
07-23-2010, 11:50 AM
This really is his last chance, I thought it was last year, but TO turned into a tremendous bust.

TO was only a bust last year because Trent was his QB for most of the year.

better days
07-23-2010, 11:53 AM
thats because he would have personal gain with JP's arm. If I was Lee, I wouldn't want a Kelly Holcomb type of qb either.

I agree Lee had a better chance to show his stuff with JP than Trent, but I think he truly felt JP was the better QB for the entire team.

trapezeus
07-23-2010, 12:26 PM
who knows, lee is only good at running long straight lines. JP could out-throw most QB's. lee did have something to gain. whether they had a friendship as well since they came into the league together is another factor.

justasportsfan
07-23-2010, 12:45 PM
who knows, lee is only good at running long straight lines..
I think he's good running every way

Bill Cody
07-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Leadership is mostly about performance. Drew Bledsoe wasn't a overly verbal guy but he was like 3rd all time in 4th quarter comebacks. If Trent shows he can find a way to win games he will lead, if he doesn't he can take his lineman to dinner every night and it won't matter.

HHURRICANE
07-23-2010, 05:18 PM

I remember TO dropping two deep, well thrown balls by Edwards early on and it set the pace for the entire year.

Stewie
07-23-2010, 10:12 PM
which is why I implied getting chummy with your OL doesn't make or break a qb.

dan marino and I have won the same number of superbowls. Just sayin'.

Griff
07-24-2010, 04:26 PM

its already been shown that TOs numbers did not improve under Fitz

better days
07-24-2010, 04:39 PM

As if Fitz is a better QB than Trent. I don't recall anyone supporting him for starting QB this year. Wait until this season, TO will have a better QB than either Trent or Fitz throwing him the ball & he will put up much better numbers than last year.

feldspar
07-24-2010, 08:01 PM
I know its been discussed before but I was just reading an article on Aaron Rodgers in ESPN the Mag and it talked about how when he took over from Favre in GB, he knew he needed to let the team know he was serious about becoming THE leader, just as Favre was. So he took the initiative to invite the team, especially his lineman, to his house to BBQ, play guitar, whatever, and the lineman took a liking to this. Darren Colledge said something along the lines of the fact that if you have some emotional investment in a friendship of sorts, then you have that extra incentive to make that extra block in the 4th quarter when it matters.

I dont think Trent would ever do this. From what we've read, he's a bit of an enigma in the locker room and just doesnt seem to have the backing of his teammates. When you don't have the full trust of your teammates at any position, it is an issue...when its the QB, its a big issue.

Again, I know its been discussed but just thought I'd share this and I believe that it is why some players succeed and some dont.

Let me get this straight: Trent won't be successful because Aaron Rodgers had his teammates over?

When was Trent supposed to have everyone over to his pad, in his rookie year? Rodgers didn't even start until his fourth year, which is where Trent is today. Better believe that he had a chance to get to know all these guys in the THREE YEARS he had before he even played.

This is a very silly thread. If he isn't going to be a starting caliber QB, this will not have anything to do with it. Would YOU have bought last year's o-line dinner or whatever? C'mon, now. You'd have guys hobbling in on crutches...what maybe 12 of them at least, some of whom you don't even really know at all.

Commissioner
07-24-2010, 08:21 PM

I ran into Trent Edwards at The Warehouse in Hamburg... and he was with several Buffalo Bills....

I also read that Trent flew to Florida to throw the ball around with Lee Evans a couple years back...

There could be a lot of reasons why Trent may fail... but your theory is ridiculous.

My source says Trent is actually beloved by the team.

acehole
07-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Trent was a has been that never was.....

Injury prone and never won anything...

All of a sudden you some people projected
name like Joe Montanna on him. Just not a
football player. I thought he might do ok in
this offense...but not enough info to go on
right now. He would be a perfect back up.
Throws his players under busses at presser
is not the way to get men to block for you.
Again want to see what he can do in this
offense.....everybody will forget all if he
can stay healthy and win some games.

Griff
07-25-2010, 04:31 PM
As if Fitz is a better QB than Trent. I don't recall anyone supporting him for starting QB this year. Wait until this season, TO will have a better QB than either Trent or Fitz throwing him the ball & he will put up much better numbers than last year.

lol everybody and their mother was screaming for him to start last season, everyone was talking about how the WRs supported him and how he took chances. The reality is, Owens didn't perform any better for Fitz than he did for Edwards. Owens is a washed up mental case with stone hands.

better days
07-25-2010, 05:13 PM
lol everybody and their mother was screaming for him to start last season, everyone was talking about how the WRs supported him and how he took chances. The reality is, Owens didn't perform any better for Fitz than he did for Edwards. Owens is a washed up mental case with stone hands.

Of course everyone wanted him to start over Trent last year. Trent was HORRIBLE.

Fitz was an unknown, kind of like Brohm now. Nobody really knew how bad Fitz was but EVERYONE knew how bad Trent was.

The 99 yd TD from Fitz to TO (a Bills record) would never have happend if Trent was QB at the time.

I will bet TO puts up better numbers this year with a decent QB.

justasportsfan
07-26-2010, 10:49 AM
where are you getting your facts griff? TO numbers did improve under

Fitz - 62.25 yds per game aver while with Trent 47.8 .

TO caught 4 TD's from Fitz .5 td per game while with Trent he caught 1 td. .16666