• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Why Trent will never be a good QB

I know its been discussed before but I was just reading an article on Aaron Rodgers in ESPN the Mag and it talked about how when he took over from Favre in GB, he knew he needed to let the team know he was serious about becoming THE leader, just as Favre was. So he took the initiative to invite the team, especially his lineman, to his house to BBQ, play guitar, whatever, and the lineman took a liking to this. Darren Colledge said something along the lines of the fact that if you have some emotional investment in a friendship of sorts, then you have that extra incentive to make that extra block in the 4th quarter when it matters.

I dont think Trent would ever do this. From what we've read, he's a bit of an enigma in the locker room and just doesnt seem to have the backing of his teammates. When you don't have the full trust of your teammates at any position, it is an issue...when its the QB, its a big issue.

Again, I know its been discussed but just thought I'd share this and I believe that it is why some players succeed and some dont.

• BoyILuvLoznStupidly
    • Sep 2009

Re: Why Trent will never be a good QB

The guy has no heart. He is Rob Johnson 2.0 imo.

Comment

• ddaryl
      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
      • Jan 2005

yadda yadda yadda.....

I do question Trent's ability to read D's and hit a moving target in stride.

Comment

• trapezeus
        Legendary Zoner
        • Oct 2004

no amount of house party's is going to cover the issue that he can't make it through a season. and players respect those houseparty items as leadership, but they also like and respect their leader to get up after a licking and still lead the team on the field.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
          • Nov 2009

An enigma?

I know that people question the importance of the things that Rodgers did, and will say it has to do with Trent's ability to throw down field etc.

They wouldn't be wrong that Trent's abilities are worth calling into question. However, you are kidding yourself if you think that these "silly" things that Rodgers did, which you reduce to a "house party" are the intangible qualities that a QB must possess.

The ability to be the leader is what holds so many gifted athletes back from succeeding at the QB position.

The need for your QB to be your leader is what is keeping TO out of a job...

Comment

• Jan Reimers
            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
            • May 2003

People lead in many ways. Some are really verbal, in-your-face guys, others are more quiet but will speak when necessary, and some simply lead by example while hardly ever saying anything.

I get the impression that Trent has not really exhibited any of these characteristics.
            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Ron Burgundy
              • Nov 2005

I think Darren Colledge should do his ****ing job and block his man regardless of whether he and Aaron Rodgers like to have tickle-parties after the game or not.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                • Mar 2005

As I mentioned previously, one of his lineman at Stanford said the guy wasn't popular in the locker room and pretty much stayed to himself.

Jim Kelly had a great relationship with his lineman.

I was a big Trent fan until he took his benching like a complete pussy. If you are the true starter of the team than you let the media know that in no uncertain terms. Instead he had no problem watching Fitzputrid start.

I'm not holding out much hope here that he grew a pair in the off-season but we'll see.

Comment

• BillsWin
                  man amongst boys
                  • Oct 2008

He'll never be a good QB because he reached a growing point, but instead of maturing and developing as a player and person he regressed. Now you can argue fault on the coaches, o-line or system, but anyway you spin it Edwards has had his chance. Save an absolute miracle, he is done when it comes to being a franchise QB. He could make an above average backup though.
                  I am The Batman.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by BillsWin
                    He'll never be a good QB because he reached a growing point, but instead of maturing and developing as a player and person he regressed. Now you can argue fault on the coaches, o-line or system, but anyway you spin it Edwards has had his chance. Save an absolute miracle, he is done when it comes to being a franchise QB. He could make an above average backup though.
                    A bad o-line is going to ****** any QBs growth.

I'm more concerned with Trent's lack of leadership than his QB skills.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

I doubt anyone on the TEAM liked Dan Marino. That didn't stop him from being one of the best ever.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• trapezeus
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

but marino made up for his unlikeability with ridiculous talent. edwards was never the crazy talent guy. he needed to be well rounded. and he needed to stay healthy. this is his last shot to do so, if he is indeed crowned the starter.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus
                          but marino made up for his unlikeability with ridiculous talent. .
                          which is why I implied getting chummy with your OL doesn't make or break a qb.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                            I doubt anyone on the TEAM liked Dan Marino. That didn't stop him from being one of the best ever.
                            I don't know if Marino was liked or not by his team but there was no question he was the LEADER of that team.

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BillsWin
                              What good is a back up that could be injured on the 1st or 2nd play he goes in?

Comment

Working...
                              X