PDA

View Full Version : Bills Base Offensive Set

ghz in pittsburgh
07-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Over the dinner with my agency friend and a few of his buddies last night, we briefly shoot over the impact of Spiller to the Bills. All of them seems to think that the basic offensive set should be 2 wide (Evans and Hardy), 1 TE (Nelson), and 2 backs (Lynch and Spiller), because it offers the most possible mis-match to a defense. Assuming the D rushing 4 (whether 3 DL + 1 OLB, or 4 DL in standard 4-3), 2 CB outside locking onto WRs, one FS back and SS shadow TE, you have 3 LBs looking over 2 RBs and the QB.

Now we are assuming that they put the top CB on Evans, and someone with size on Hardy to avoid using double team there. You'd think that Spiller can beat most covering LBs (maybe over time), so you motion him wide, way wide to create a one-on-one to the following LB across the scrimmage or create a wide WR screen setup with Hardy. If the D uses nickel, then you motion TE and run Lynch at the 3rd CB side. If the D put the SS on Spiller, then you hope Nelson can beat the LB coverage and go to him. If you sense the FS cheating up to help out, you turn it into max protect and try for a bomb to Evans. If you sense a blitz, you run a screen to Spiller/Lynch to the TE side. If everything is covered, you still have the option of trying a sideline jump ball to Hardy.

I know I didn't mention Jackson here. To me, Jackson is the ideal 3rd down back because of his steady catching, blocking, and quick hole hitting skills. I don't think it's time right now for Spiller, as a rookie, to handle that role.

k-oneputt
07-23-2010, 10:55 AM
I am confident that Gailey will coach this offense up and it will be miles ahead of last year.

justasportsfan
07-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Assuming that the OL holds up (gotta throw that in before the neg nancies chime in) , imagine the speed of Lee, Spiller and Easley in the passing game? In this passing scenario, we can kill teams up the middle with either Fred Jackson or Nelson if D's want to play the deep ball.

JCBills
07-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Over the dinner with my agency friend and a few of his buddies last night, we briefly shoot over the impact of Spiller to the Bills. All of them seems to think that the basic offensive set should be 2 wide (Evans and Hardy), 1 TE (Nelson), and 2 backs (Lynch and Spiller), because it offers the most possible mis-match to a defense. Assuming the D rushing 4 (whether 3 DL + 1 OLB, or 4 DL in standard 4-3), 2 CB outside locking onto WRs, one FS back and SS shadow TE, you have 3 LBs looking over 2 RBs and the QB.

Now we are assuming that they put the top CB on Evans, and someone with size on Hardy to avoid using double team there. You'd think that Spiller can beat most covering LBs (maybe over time), so you motion him wide, way wide to create a one-on-one to the following LB across the scrimmage or create a wide WR screen setup with Hardy. If the D uses nickel, then you motion TE and run Lynch at the 3rd CB side. If the D put the SS on Spiller, then you hope Nelson can beat the LB coverage and go to him. If you sense the FS cheating up to help out, you turn it into max protect and try for a bomb to Evans. If you sense a blitz, you run a screen to Spiller/Lynch to the TE side. If everything is covered, you still have the option of trying a sideline jump ball to Hardy.

I know I didn't mention Jackson here. To me, Jackson is the ideal 3rd down back because of his steady catching, blocking, and quick hole hitting skills. I don't think it's time right now for Spiller, as a rookie, to handle that role.

Splitting Spiller out doesn't create a 1 on 1, but it does help expose their coverage before the snap. One thing we do have is a very fast team. Our power back runs in the 4.4s, our burner can run in the 4.2s, 4.3, 4.3, 4.4 and 4.5 at WR with 4.5 at TE. 40's obviously don't mean everything, but that's a lot of offensive speed.

Philagape
07-23-2010, 11:47 AM
If they want their best players on the field, the formation should be all three backs, Evans and Nelson.
Actually, it would be Jackson at QB and another WR out there.

psubills62
07-23-2010, 12:21 PM
The problem with that base set is that it doesn't provide much in terms of run blocking. I think our OL is a somewhat underrated run-blocking line, but you've got two receivers, two RB's, and a TE who doesn't block that well.

I think Gailey will mix it up a lot. Nelson may be the starter, but Matthews will be out there for a lot of running plays and some passing plays.

I think the WRs/TEs will be mixed up, but I wouldn't be surprised if Gailey uses a lot of two-RB sets.

acehole
07-23-2010, 01:38 PM
This is great but they will counter with a nickle defense.

better days
07-23-2010, 01:52 PM
This is great but they will counter with a nickle defense.

If they do, that is the time to run the ball.

McBFLO
07-23-2010, 08:09 PM
I am confident that Gailey will coach this offense up and it will be miles ahead of last year.
To your point, I think that, while the team's overall record may not be much, if any, better than last season, this team will be MUCH more interesting and entertaining to watch. The offense is finally in some competent hands who have proven to get the most out of its (somewhat limited) talent. The defense is switching over to a scheme that most people on these boards have been clamoring for for years. Moreover, I feel like the team in general is finally headed in the right direction. How far we go is anyone's guess, but this team is definitely going to be a different team to watch.

Mr. Pink
07-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Want your offense to be completely shut down and ineffective?

Line up like this as a base offense.

You won't be able to run because there's not enough blockers even if the defense lines up in nickel. And if they line up in nickel, there's more DBs on the field to cover everyone negating the impact of anyone in the passing game.

Spiderweb
07-23-2010, 09:22 PM

You may be right with the Jackson thing, as it took Thurman Thomas a few years to convince the Bills that he would be a very good 3rd down back (thus after 1989, Ronnie Harmon no longer served any purpose - especially after his end zone drop against Cleveland in the 89 season's playoffs).

Thief
07-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Want your offense to be completely shut down and ineffective?

Line up like this as a base offense.

You won't be able to run because there's not enough blockers even if the defense lines up in nickel. And if they line up in nickel, there's more DBs on the field to cover everyone negating the impact of anyone in the passing game.It is a 1 TE 5 lineman set. Why wouldn't there be enough blockers? Our RBs run better without a FB anyways. This set spreads the field, so in essense, the WRs are like blockers, and they don't even really have to touch anyone because where they lineup can take their CB out of many run plays.

better days
07-24-2010, 03:02 PM
It is a 1 TE 5 lineman set. Why wouldn't there be enough blockers? Our RBs run better without a FB anyways. This set spreads the field, so in essense, the WRs are like blockers, and they don't even really have to touch anyone because where they lineup can take their CB out of many run plays.

Exactly, the Receivers go downfield & take the DB's with them in the Nickle. A back like Spiller or even Lynch can pick up huge yds if they pop through the line.

YardRat
07-24-2010, 05:41 PM
2 Wr's, 1 TE, 2 RB's---Wow...that's going to throw a ton of confusion at opposing defenses.

If Lynch could actually block or hit a hole, it might make a difference. But he can't.