PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cowher's wife passed away

deviantwolf
07-24-2010, 12:53 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/24/bill-cowhers-wife-kaye-passes-away-at-54/

We're stunned this evening to learn, via Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, that Kaye Cowher, the wife of former Steelers coach Bill Cowher, has died at the age of 54.

Here's the link referenced in the article at nbcsports.com from Post Gazette in Pittsburgh

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10204/1075087-100.stm

G Wolly
07-24-2010, 01:10 AM
Maybe he'll come back to coach somewhere to win it all. and it'll be a heck of a story.

Sorry to hear.

CuseJetsFan83
07-24-2010, 01:24 AM
that could explain why he wasn't in any hurry, and now maybe some people will realize why he passed the offers off

BertSquirtgum
07-24-2010, 02:36 AM
that's very sad. i wish his family the best during this awful time in their lives.

jamze132
07-24-2010, 03:27 AM
That's horrible!

RIP

Crisis
07-24-2010, 05:13 AM
Are we going to send wings to the service as a last-ditch effort?

Too soon?

YardRat
07-24-2010, 05:16 AM
Unfortunate....my condolences to his family.

SquishDaFish
07-24-2010, 05:41 AM
RIP sad to hear.

Billz_fan
07-24-2010, 06:03 AM
Terrible news, My condolences to the Cowher family. Sad.

Bills41
07-24-2010, 06:06 AM
RIP!

Night Train
07-24-2010, 06:22 AM
This may explain a lot, in reference to him turning down jobs. Priorities.

RIP

BillsWin
07-24-2010, 08:40 AM
Are we going to send wings to the service as a last-ditch effort?

Too soon?

Way to be "that guy".

BillsWin
07-24-2010, 08:41 AM
RIP.

Jan Reimers
07-24-2010, 08:46 AM
That's a real shame. RIP.

The last buffalo fan
07-24-2010, 09:25 AM
:pray:

shelby
07-24-2010, 09:43 AM
:( :pray:

djjimkelly
07-24-2010, 10:16 AM
54 is very young that is very sad to hear

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-24-2010, 11:52 AM
My deep condolences to the family, I am sorry to hear that.

Ebenezer
07-24-2010, 12:12 PM
They must have done a great job keeping it to the family. I was driving through Charlotte on Jan 4 and the radio guys were talking about Cowher and the Bills and Panthers and they NEVER mentioned this once. May she find rest.

Coach Sal
07-24-2010, 12:21 PM
RIP, Kaye. Thoughts and condolences go out to the entire Cowher family.

better days
07-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Very sad to lose a wife & mother at such a young age. Condolences to the Cowher family.

Novacane
07-24-2010, 03:10 PM
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP)—Former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher says his wife has died at 54.

Kaye Cowher died of skin cancer Friday in her native North Carolina. Her death was confirmed by her husband Saturday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-obit-kayecowher

Wow. Was it even public knowledge she was sick?

PECKERWOOD
07-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Insert younger and more beautiful wife here.

ghz in pittsburgh
07-24-2010, 08:01 PM
RIP.

There were rumors of rift within the marriage but this is not the right place to discuss it.

YardRat
07-24-2010, 08:29 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=193729

I hadn't read or heard anything, until I saw the above post.

buffalobillsfan95
07-25-2010, 09:20 AM
I wish the best for him and his family

R.I.P

ddaryl
07-26-2010, 07:56 AM
Nobody seem to know she was sick...

Would definitely have made a huge difference in my perceptuion of him not jumping on the Bills job opportunity when it was available...

A very sad day for Bill and his family...

trapezeus
07-26-2010, 08:34 AM
sad to hear for sure. it explains a lot. even how he conducted himself on the CBS show as the rumors were going. like he had an explanation but just chose not to give it.

Poor guy. no one ever wants to lose anyone close to them.

Ebenezer
07-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Nobody seem to know she was sick...

Would definitely have made a huge difference in my perceptuion of him not jumping on the Bills job opportunity when it was available...

A very sad day for Bill and his family...

ddaryl, no offense but why should your perception of anybody be altered by a job that they might or might not take? Had Cowher worked in the private sector and not taken a job with AT&T would it have mattered even if you knew he had been with Verizon? Why do we as fans have to read into anything a guy does?

ddaryl
07-26-2010, 11:40 AM
ddaryl, no offense but why should your perception of anybody be altered by a job that they might or might not take? Had Cowher worked in the private sector and not taken a job with AT&T would it have mattered even if you knew he had been with Verizon? Why do we as fans have to read into anything a guy does?

It would have been a little easier to accept knowing his wife was ill and he wanted to be with her. I also wouldn't have been so anxious to pursue Cowher via billboards and email campaigns knowing he had this on his plate. his wife was ill and for me that changes alot in hindsight

I don't understand your post and you obviously you completely missed on my point

Ebenezer
07-26-2010, 12:26 PM
It would have been a little easier to accept knowing his wife was ill and he wanted to be with her. I also wouldn't have been so anxious to pursue Cowher via billboards and email campaigns knowing he had this on his plate. his wife was ill and for me that changes alot in hindsight

I don't understand your post and you obviously you completely missed on my point

While it might have been important, his reasons for taking a job (or not) are his and his families. Why should anybody ever need to justify their decision to the public on why or why they didn't take a job?

ddaryl
07-26-2010, 12:31 PM
While it might have been important, his reasons for taking a job (or not) are his and his families. Why should anybody ever need to justify their decision to the public on why or why they didn't take a job?

You're completely off on a tangent here...

I wouldn't have pursued the Advertising board idea and I would not have enganed in any email campaigns to ESPN knowing now what I know...

If I knew his wife was terminally ill I would have cut him slack and not pursued any means of getting Cowher to want to come to Buffalo... I would have been more concerned with his family and would have adjusted my campaign accordingly

Naturally the Cowhers wanted to keep this private, and I also understand that.... but it would have made a difference to me and how I treated the situation back when it was a situation....

Philagape
07-26-2010, 01:16 PM
You're completely off on a tangent here...

I wouldn't have pursued the Advertising board idea and I would not have enganed in any email campaigns to ESPN knowing now what I know...

If I knew his wife was terminally ill I would have cut him slack and not pursued any means of getting Cowher to want to come to Buffalo... I would have been more concerned with his family and would have adjusted my campaign accordingly

Naturally the Cowhers wanted to keep this private, and I also understand that.... but it would have made a difference to me and how I treated the situation back when it was a situation....

The responsibility for doing those things is 100% yours.
Cowher owed no one here anything under any circumstance.

Ebenezer
07-26-2010, 01:20 PM
The responsibility for doing those things is 100% yours.
Cowher owed no one here anything under any circumstance.

100% correct. And you can ask Philagape how often we agree.

Michael82
07-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Wow....that's surprising to hear and very sad too. My thoughts and prayers go out to Bill Cowher and his family at this terrible time. :( :pray:

I also agree with ddaryl...this makes me feel a lot different about him turning down the Bills job. To think that so many of us were obsessed with trying to convince him to take the job, with this going on, he definitely had other stuff on his plate and I don't blame him for turning it down. I also feel bad for how we basically campaigned for the guy and tried our hardest to convince him to come back to coaching, even though he had this to deal with. If we only knew...

I'm sure it was tough for him to leave coaching in the first place, but to also deal with this? Then the fans begging him to come back to coach their team. No wonder he was so silent with the whole thing. I would have been the same way.

Ebenezer
07-26-2010, 01:25 PM
I also feel bad for how we basically campaigned for the guy and tried our hardest to convince him to come back to coaching, even though he had this to deal with. If we only knew...

But that is what Philagape and I are talking about...what did your campaigning have to do with anything? Do you really think you, or every Bills fan on the face of the planet, mattered, or should have mattered, one iota whether he chose to come here on not?? Had this been 1980 instead of 2010, Cowher's name would have been floated, maybe, and very little would have been seen or heard from the general public. No coach anywhere, ever, takes his cues from the fan base on where to take a job - and why should it?

trapezeus
07-26-2010, 01:37 PM
well it feels like less of a slap in the face to the city of buffalo. it wasn't about want, it was about his personal needs. and the fact he gave gailey as a reference might mean he actually cared about the team.

its all over now, and its played out how it has. it's just interesting to know what was going on in his head to making that decision. i think most of us thought it was really just down to "do i coach the hapless bills, or do i wait for a better opportunity."

Michael82
07-26-2010, 01:38 PM
But that is what Philagape and I are talking about...what did your campaigning have to do with anything? Do you really think you, or every Bills fan on the face of the planet, mattered, or should have mattered, one iota whether he chose to come here on not?? Had this been 1980 instead of 2010, Cowher's name would have been floated, maybe, and very little would have been seen or heard from the general public. No coach anywhere, ever, takes his cues from the fan base on where to take a job - and why should it?

Come on....the passion from the fan base definitely helps sway coaches or players and maybe if Cowher didn't have personal stuff to deal with, he might have actually come here for the money and because of how passionate the fans are.

Michael82
07-26-2010, 01:39 PM
well it feels like less of a slap in the face to the city of buffalo. it wasn't about want, it was about his personal needs. and the fact he gave gailey as a reference might mean he actually cared about the team.

its all over now, and its played out how it has. it's just interesting to know what was going on in his head to making that decision. i think most of us thought it was really just down to "do i coach the hapless bills, or do i want for a better opportunity."

Exactly! That's all that ddaryl was saying. Great post. :up:

Philagape
07-26-2010, 01:40 PM

its all over now, and its played out how it has. it's just interesting to know what was going on in his head to making that decision. i think most of us thought it was really just down to "do i coach the hapless bills, or do i want for a better opportunity."

So the mindset is, he must work here or it's an insult?

trapezeus
07-26-2010, 01:47 PM

it's buffalo. we have a complex...have you not noticed. We got turned down by bass pro. come on.

Philagape
07-26-2010, 01:48 PM
it's buffalo. we have a complex...have you not noticed. We got turned down by bass pro. come on.

That's not Cowher's problem.

Mudflap1
07-26-2010, 01:48 PM

No. The mindset is that Bill Cowher is a great coach, and a blue collar guy. I think a lot of us wanted to believe that, while Buffalo is a small-town, blue collar, underdog-type of city, maybe there was a shot (even if it was minimal) back in January that Cowher might come here. The Bills met with him, there were rumblings that he had some interest, and then it was dead. A lot of us thought he merely blew off Buffalo because he wanted a better job with a better team in a better city. Well, now it appears that may not have been the case. Perhaps Bill Cowher did have some genuine interest, but because of his family circumstances, he had to pass, and recommended Chan Gailey because he thought enough of Chan and thought enough of the Bills that he wanted to see "the next best alternative" from his mind.

This doesn't mean Bill Cowher owed us the explanation, or the Bills for that matter. Bill doesn't owe us anything about his private life, and the Bills actually were very good about it for taking the flack of being cheap, undesirable, etc., when in fact they may have been keeping this secret under wraps, and taking the heat for it in the meantime.

It just makes me feel a little bit better as a fan of the Bills, that they were trying, and there were extenuating circumstances, and it makes me feel sorry for Bill Cowher about what's been going through, but that he may have been the blue collar guy we all thought he was that was in fact interested in some capacity about the Buffalo job, but couldn't make the commitment right now.

Philagape
07-26-2010, 01:50 PM
A lot of us thought he merely blew off Buffalo because he wanted a better job with a better team in a better city.

How dare he!!

Ebenezer
07-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Come on....the passion from the fan base definitely helps sway coaches or players and maybe if Cowher didn't have personal stuff to deal with, he might have actually come here for the money and because of how passionate the fans are.

If you think that the grand majority of the players and coaches truly allow what the fans think influence their decision on where they play then you are incredibly naive.

Johnny Bugmenot
07-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Skin cancer is nearly 100% curable. I'll just leave it at that.

Ebenezer
07-27-2010, 07:53 AM
Skin cancer is nearly 100% curable. I'll just leave it at that.

Incorrect.

From the American Cancer Society:
For localized melanoma, the 5-year survival rate is 99%; survival rates for regional and distant stage diseases are 65% and 15%, respectively. About 80% of melanomas are diagnosed at a localized stage.

I am sure there are people like Mrs. Cowher who had wished you were correct.