PDA

View Full Version : Its the offseason... but I could watch this all day!

X-Era
07-24-2010, 08:21 AM
There will never be another like him. The guy was nasty.

<object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9CumoHC3phU&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

SquishDaFish
07-24-2010, 08:33 AM
He was great but hes a deserter and a quitter

BillsWin
07-24-2010, 08:44 AM
I beg to differ that there won't be another like him. CJ Spiller!

Although that's not exactly fair.

CJ Spiller will be like nothing anyone has ever seen before.

THRILLA SPILLA BABY!

Can you tell I'm going through football withdrawals?

Jan Reimers
07-24-2010, 08:44 AM
He was a home run type back, but hugely inconsistent. I saw us tackle him in his end zone for a safety, and remember him getting negative yardage in a game against Green Bay.

When you rank the great backs, you have to start with Jim Brown, and then argue 2nd place on down.

Jaybird
07-24-2010, 10:59 AM
I am shocked with a few negative comments regarding Barry. The guy is flat out the best Rb ever. Take into consideration the fact that he never played behind a good O line, he never played with a good Quarterback, and never in a good offense. He was the lions O for 9 years. ONE MAN!!! (H Moore had good numbers but never did anythign big).

mikemac2001
07-24-2010, 11:03 AM
I am shocked with a few negative comments regarding Barry. The guy is flat out the best Rb ever. Take into consideration the fact that he never played behind a good O line, he never played with a good Quarterback, and never in a good offense. He was the lions O for 9 years. ONE MAN!!! (H Moore had good numbers but never did anythign big).

Ya haters want to hate

barry was the most entertaining player to watch...

he got out to early but is most likely happy he did RB's take a beating

mightysimi
07-24-2010, 11:29 AM

The guy plays forever on a terrible team. Never complains. Never holds out. Never hits anyone in his car. Finally after like a decade of futility, he asks to be released so he can go and try to win. They say no. He retires. The next year he asks again to be released and they say no again. That is bull***** treatment of the best RB of all time and the face of your franchise.

The Lions were going to lose anyways. Having Barry on another team wouldn't have changed that. That was a bush league move by a bush league organization.

more cowbell
07-24-2010, 12:51 PM

why? because he retired before he has concussion problems or just flat out sucked (see shaun alexander etc.)

he is to the RB position what jerry rice was to the WR position. the best.

SquishDaFish
07-24-2010, 12:55 PM
I dont disagree that he was exciting to watch no doubt he was. Was he the best No he was one of the top 10 of all time yes. But Im in the mindset that if a player signs his name he should honor it (asking for a trade is fine). Yes I know the teams release without thinking anything which isnt fair but thats how it is.

X-Era
07-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Ya haters want to hate

barry was the most entertaining player to watch...

he got out to early but is most likely happy he did RB's take a beating

I actually gained respect for him when he left. He was never after anointing himself as the best ever through breaking rushing records etc... He just loved the game. He was a humble guy who just loved the game. And in today's age of me-first-football, its a reason he deserves respect.

LtFinFan66
07-24-2010, 01:30 PM
He was great but hes a deserter and a quitterThat's weak

justasportsfan
07-24-2010, 01:41 PM
He was a home run type back, but hugely inconsistent. .

In Barry's defense , he had a crappy OL with a crappy organization his entire career

Thief
07-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Barry Sanders is the best RB of all time, bar none.

X-Era
07-24-2010, 02:03 PM
In Barry's defense , he had a crappy OL with a crappy organization his entire career

Its a very significant factor into why I think hes the best ever. If he played for a good team, with a good OL, what would he have done then?

mightysimi
07-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Its a very significant factor into why I think hes the best ever. If he played for a good team, with a good OL, what would he have done then?

Yeah exactly. Imagine if Green Bay takes Barry instead of Tony Mandrich?

Spiderweb
07-24-2010, 04:23 PM
I actually gained respect for him when he left. He was never after anointing himself as the best ever through breaking rushing records etc... He just loved the game. He was a humble guy who just loved the game. And in today's age of me-first-football, its a reason he deserves respect.

Same here. In this day and age, we see (and hear) the self promoting, whiny, it's all about me types day in and day out. Barry was class, absolute class. He made a decision that playing for the Lions was no longer an option for him. He requested to be let go, the Lions refused. They also refused to consider trading him.

Barry never wavered, he stayed away. Quietly went on with his life, without badmouthing the Lions, etc.

Pure class, and the most explosive RB most of us will ever see. The only sad thing about all this is that Barry should be the all time back, and not Emmit Smith. Emiit was good back, with a great line on mostly good teams. Emmit couldn't hold a candle to Barry.

Barry Sanders and Walter Payton were two of the classiest players I've known of.

Mr. Pink
07-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Barry Sanders wasn't even the best RB in his franchises' history...

Billy Sims was a much better back.

And played on an even worse Lions team.

LtFinFan66
07-24-2010, 05:10 PM

And played on an even worse Lions team.hopefully you are joking

YardRat
07-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Boy, you can tell the off-season is getting old.

Top 10 definitely, maybe even top 5, but absolutely not #1.

Mr. Pink
07-24-2010, 05:27 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y0O7973Ew8A&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y0O7973Ew8A&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Mr. Pink
07-24-2010, 05:31 PM
hopefully you are joking

If Billy stayed healthy he'd be the Lions all time leading rusher and in Canton right now.

He also was a better option in the passing game than Barry.

better days
07-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Sanders was a great back, an exciting back. He was not the best back or even in the top 5.

As Jan said, Jim Brown is the best RB of all time & it should not even be a debate.

Barry Sanders was a one trick pony. That is why he does not belong in the discussion about best back ever. He was very fast & shifty but he was not a complete back, he could not get that tough yard on 3rd & 1 or 4th & 1.

It is a shame NFL Network or ESPN does not show games from the 50's & 60's. If they did so the young guys would be able to see some of the best players in history that they have only heard about.

feldspar
07-24-2010, 07:47 PM

And played on an even worse Lions team.

That's the most bogus statement I've heard in quite a while. It's like saying that Joe Cribbs was a better back than OJ Simpson or Thurman Thomas.

X-Era
07-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Boy, you can tell the off-season is getting old.

Top 10 definitely, maybe even top 5, but absolutely not #1.

Barry Sanders did things ive never seen any other back do. He can stop on a dime, turn direction and accelerate to full speed faster than anyone else Ive ever seen. You guys want to go old school with this and thats fine. But, the plow-through-the-tackler type just cant trump a guy with the sickest juke moves ever IMO. Brown, Payton, Sims, all great players. But, none of those guy could do what Barry did. None had the elusiveness that he had. Sanders was like Gretzky to Hockey, or Jordan to Baksetball... the team he played for didn't matter, the quality of the OL didn't matter, he could step on the field for any team and play at a level beyond what any defender could do.

Best ever? I can see an argument for that, he did more with less. But, no I cant say hes the best ever.

I will say, that IMO, he was better than Emmitt by a lot, and better than guys like Faulk... even LT in his prime.

Jeff1220
07-24-2010, 09:44 PM
In no particular order, other than era, Jim Brown, Walter Payton, and Barry Sanders are the best three backs the game has seen.

better days
07-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Barry Sanders did things ive never seen any other back do. He can stop on a dime, turn direction and accelerate to full speed faster than anyone else Ive ever seen. You guys want to go old school with this and thats fine. But, the plow-through-the-tackler type just cant trump a guy with the sickest juke moves ever IMO. Brown, Payton, Sims, all great players. But, none of those guy could do what Barry did. None had the elusiveness that he had. Sanders was like Gretzky to Hockey, or Jordan to Baksetball... the team he played for didn't matter, the quality of the OL didn't matter, he could step on the field for any team and play at a level beyond what any defender could do.

Best ever? I can see an argument for that, he did more with less. But, no I cant say hes the best ever.

I will say, that IMO, he was better than Emmitt by a lot, and better than guys like Faulk... even LT in his prime.

No question Sanders could do all you said. What he could not do was get the tough yard. That is not old school that is FOOTBALL. That is the reason he is not the best or even in the top 5.

It is hard to compare eras in all sports. Gretzky would not have lasted in Gordie Howes era, he would have been beaten to a pulp. The rules changes are the reason Gretzky thrived when he played.

In football a back is still expected to get the tough yard today. That is something that hasn't changed & something Sanders could never do.

Mr. Pink
07-24-2010, 11:33 PM

The first couple of sentences is exactly why people think Sanders is so great. ESPN shoved his highlights down the throat of any NFL fan at any chance they could. Like they love Brady and Favre now, that's what they did with Barry 20 years ago.

Everyone got the big plays shoved down their throat. Barry would have one or two big plays a game and be completely average the rest of it. A typical Barry Sanders game 21 carries 115 yards long of 51, but all ESPN would concentrate on was showing you that 51 yard run from 10 different angles.

Nor would they show the fact that he has the most negative rushing plays in the history of the NFL.

And the whole Barry always played on terrible teams is completely false. The Lions went to the playoffs 5 of the 10 years he was there. And made the playoffs the first year after he quit. On average the Lions were an 8-8 team throughout his career.

NOT THE DUDE...
07-25-2010, 12:46 AM
i forget about billy sims... he was an incredible back!

SquishDaFish
07-25-2010, 08:28 AM
Totally agree FunTimes

Johnny Bugmenot
07-25-2010, 08:33 AM
1. If he REALLY wanted off the Lions, there's a little thing called a holdout.

2. Running backs usually have a major boost on poor teams because their passing games have no teeth and they have to rely on running backs to have any sort of offensive production.

X-Era
07-25-2010, 08:55 AM
The first couple of sentences is exactly why people think Sanders is so great. ESPN shoved his highlights down the throat of any NFL fan at any chance they could. Like they love Brady and Favre now, that's what they did with Barry 20 years ago.

Everyone got the big plays shoved down their throat. Barry would have one or two big plays a game and be completely average the rest of it. A typical Barry Sanders game 21 carries 115 yards long of 51, but all ESPN would concentrate on was showing you that 51 yard run from 10 different angles.

Nor would they show the fact that he has the most negative rushing plays in the history of the NFL.

And the whole Barry always played on terrible teams is completely false. The Lions went to the playoffs 5 of the 10 years he was there. And made the playoffs the first year after he quit. On average the Lions were an 8-8 team throughout his career.
1) The guy averaged over 5 yards a carry most of the years he played... and behind a sub-par line.

2) He may be more of a running back who gained big yards on one play and none on another; I can see that. So? He wasn't a road grader, he was a juke and slash style RB. Just a different style. Yet, even at 5' 8" and barerly 200 pounds, he handled the load of the run game, and all the hits that came along with it. I didnt hear the Lions complaining about what he gave them in the run game. 100 yards per game is 100 yards whether it is all at once, or over 20 carries, teams will be very happy with that as long as the TD's come. Barry did that. How about that saying that running backs are only good for 4 years... this guy dominated for 9.

<table class="datatablecell" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="datatabledatahead"><td rowspan="2">Season</td> <td rowspan="2">Team</td> <td colspan="2">
</td> <td colspan="5">Rushing</td> <td colspan="5">Receiving</td> <td colspan="2">Fumbles</td> </tr> <tr class="datatabledatahead"> <td>G</td> <td>GS</td> <td>Att</td> <td>Yds</td> <td>Avg</td> <td>Lng</td> <td>TD</td> <td>Rec</td> <td>Yds</td> <td>Avg</td> <td>Lng</td> <td>TD</td> <td>FUM</td> <td>Lost</td> </tr> <tr class="" onmouseout="this.className=''" onmouseover="this.className='over'"> <td> 1998 </td> <td> Detroit Lions (http://www.nfl.com/teams/detroitlions/profile?team=DET) </td> <td> 16 </td> <td> 16 </td> <td>343</td> <td>1,491</td> <td>4.3</td> <td>73T</td> <td>4</td> <td>37</td> <td>289</td> <td>7.8</td> <td>44</td> <td>0</td> <td>3</td> <td>2</td> </tr> <tr onmouseout="this.className='rowAlt'" onmouseover="this.className='over'" class="rowAlt"> <td> 1997 </td> <td> Detroit Lions (http://www.nfl.com/teams/detroitlions/profile?team=DET) </td> <td> 16 </td> <td> 16 </td> <td>335</td> <td>2,053</td> <td>6.1</td> <td>82T</td> <td>11</td> <td>33</td> <td>305</td> <td>9.2</td> <td>66T</td> <td>3</td> <td>3</td> <td>2</td> </tr> <tr onmouseout="this.className=''" onmouseover="this.className='over'"> <td> 1996 </td> <td> Detroit Lions (http://www.nfl.com/teams/detroitlions/profile?team=DET) </td> <td> 16 </td> <td> 16 </td> <td>307</td> <td>1,553</td> <td>5.1</td> <td>54T</td> <td>11</td> <td>24</td> <td>147</td> <td>6.1</td> <td>28</td> <td>0</td> <td>4</td> <td>2</td> </tr> <tr onmouseout="this.className='rowAlt'" onmouseover="this.className='over'" class="rowAlt"> <td> 1995 </td> <td> Detroit Lions (http://www.nfl.com/teams/detroitlions/profile?team=DET) </td> <td> 16 </td> <td> 16 </td> <td>314</td> <td>1,500</td> <td>4.8</td> <td>75T</td> <td>11</td> <td>48</td> <td>398</td> <td>8.3</td> <td>40</td> <td>1</td> <td>3</td> <td>3</td> </tr> <tr class="" onmouseout="this.className=''" onmouseover="this.className='over'"> <td> 1994 </td> <td> Detroit Lions (http://www.nfl.com/teams/detroitlions/profile?team=DET) </td> <td> 16 </td> <td> 16 </td> <td>331</td> <td>1,883</td> <td>5.7</td> <td>85</td> <td>7</td> <td>44</td> <td>283</td> <td>6.4</td> <td>22</td> <td>1</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> </tr> <tr onmouseout="this.className='rowAlt'" onmouseover="this.className='over'" class="rowAlt"> <td> 1993 </td> <td> Detroit Lions (http://www.nfl.com/teams/detroitlions/profile?team=DET) </td> <td> 11 </td> <td> 11 </td> <td>243</td> <td>1,115</td> <td>4.6</td> <td>42</td> <td>3</td> <td>36</td> <td>205</td> <td>5.7</td> <td>17</td> <td>0</td> <td>3</td> <td>0</td> </tr> <tr class="" onmouseout="this.className=''" onmouseover="this.className='over'"> <td> 1992 </td> <td> Detroit Lions (http://www.nfl.com/teams/detroitlions/profile?team=DET) </td> <td> 16 </td> <td> 16 </td> <td>312</td> <td>1,352</td> <td>4.3</td> <td>55T</td> <td>9</td> <td>29</td> <td>225</td> <td>7.8</td> <td>48</td> <td>1</td> <td>6</td> <td>4</td> </tr> <tr onmouseout="this.className='rowAlt'" onmouseover="this.className='over'" class="rowAlt"> <td> 1991 </td> <td> Detroit Lions (http://www.nfl.com/teams/detroitlions/profile?team=DET) </td> <td> 15 </td> <td> 15 </td> <td>342</td> <td>1,548</td> <td>4.5</td> <td>69T</td> <td>16</td> <td>41</td> <td>307</td> <td>7.5</td> <td>34</td> <td>1</td> <td>5</td> <td>0</td> </tr> <tr class="" onmouseout="this.className=''" onmouseover="this.className='over'"> <td> 1990 </td> <td> Detroit Lions (http://www.nfl.com/teams/detroitlions/profile?team=DET) </td> <td> 16 </td> <td> -- </td> <td>255</td> <td>1,304</td> <td>5.1</td> <td>45T</td> <td>13</td> <td>36</td> <td>480</td> <td>13.3</td> <td>47T</td> <td>3</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> </tr> <tr onmouseout="this.className='rowAlt'" onmouseover="this.className='over'" class="rowAlt"> <td> 1989 </td> <td> Detroit Lions (http://www.nfl.com/teams/detroitlions/profile?team=DET) </td> <td> 15 </td> <td> -- </td> <td>280</td> <td>1,470</td> <td>5.3</td> <td>34</td> <td>14</td> <td>24</td> <td>282</td> <td>11.8</td> <td>46</td> <td>0</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> </tr> <tr class="datatabledatahead"> <td colspan="4" class="bold" style="text-align: right;">TOTAL</td> <td>3,062</td> <td>15,269</td> <td>5.0</td> <td>85</td> <td>99</td> <td>352</td> <td>2,921</td> <td>8.3</td> <td>66</td> <td>10</td> <td>27</td> <td>13</td></tr></tbody></table>
3) ESPN? I dont give a rats ass what they think. If anything, he got more love on Monday night, and major network football with the likes of Michaels, Madden, and others. They probably did more for his hype than ESPN. I don't see how his media attention matters. If you mean that some people thinks hes top 5 because ESPN said so, that may be true, but I'm not one of them. As I said, hes top 5, to me, because he did things on the field that I haven't seen another running back do. He was in a category all by himself.

4) I understand that it rubbed some people the wrong way when he just left. But, he didn't pull a Ricky and try to come back, he left for good. He said he was done, regardless of records that he easily would have earned, he just left. Like I said before, I respect his modesty.

5) The Lions were a playoff team? Yes, they basically went in a few times and got bounced. They never won a SB during those years and they were perpetually mediocre. Herman Moore, Perriman, but I never was impressed with Scott Mitchell. And Fontes was a clown.

X-Era
07-25-2010, 09:16 AM
Hes an interesting read:

http://www.hogshaven.com/2008/10/27/647905/barry-sanders-is-at-least

MikeInRoch
07-25-2010, 09:50 AM
I dont disagree that he was exciting to watch no doubt he was. Was he the best No he was one of the top 10 of all time yes. But Im in the mindset that if a player signs his name he should honor it (asking for a trade is fine). Yes I know the teams release without thinking anything which isnt fair but thats how it is.

So no one can EVER retire. Got it.

Mad Bomber
07-25-2010, 09:50 AM
Barry Sanders did things ive never seen any other back do. He can stop on a dime, turn direction and accelerate to full speed faster than anyone else Ive ever seen.
He also had great vision.

Watch CJ Spiller's highlights. He can do these same things. I'm amazed at how fast he can accelerate after stopping/cutting.