PDA

View Full Version : For sure: Edwards has to be named #1 when camp opens.

HHURRICANE
07-26-2010, 09:00 AM
There is no way Chan Gailey can name anyone other than Trent Edwards as the number one guy. Here's why:

1) Brohm would have had to been lights out in OTAs for Chan to risk that big a chance. Chan will be dealing with a media frenzy if he puts Brohm in at 1.

2) If you pick Brohm over Edwards, than Edwards is done mentally. Part of coaching is letting players know that you are confident in them to execute. Again Brohm would have had to been amazing in OTAs for Gailey to basically kill Edwards psychy.

3) Edwards is by far the most accurate passer with the least amount of mistakes. Capt. Checkdown is actually perfect for the offense that Gailey is trying to run. So why would Gailey risk putting in Brohm? What would he be gaining?

tampabay25690
07-26-2010, 09:05 AM
I agree with you...

If Edwards wasn't the guy going into camp I think they would have cut him already...
I really believe that Trent will be the opening day starter vs Miami.

trapezeus
07-26-2010, 09:41 AM
disagree with point 1. Gailey has nothing to lose. people know his QB situation was inherited, and more or less people forgive him for not reaching for a QB in the draft.

he can go with whoever he thinks is the better qb.

I do agree with point 2. trent seems to be losing his desire to compete in the game. he took being benched easy. he doesn't seem to worked up sofar. he seems almost like he deserves to start. you take him out, and you pretty much kill his confidence forever.

Novacane
07-26-2010, 09:43 AM
1.) Why would it be such a risk and media Frenzy? It's not like he would be naming Brohm over someone who had actually earned to be the starters job.

2.) Again, Edwards has not earned being handed the job. If he is that much of a phyco pussy that he's done mentally if he is not named starter than they should cut him today.

3.) Woo Hoo lets all celebrate. Edwards is better at 1-3 yard passes than Brohm. :rolleyes: Excuse me, I need to go puke now.

Novacane
07-26-2010, 09:45 AM
I do agree with point 2. trent seems to be losing his desire to compete in the game. he took being benched easy. he doesn't seem to worked up sofar. he seems almost like he deserves to start. you take him out, and you pretty much kill his confidence forever.

If this is true he needs to be released not named the starter.

trapezeus
07-26-2010, 09:49 AM
1.) Why would it be such a risk and media Frenzy? It's not like he would be naming Brohm over someone who had actually earned to be the starters job.

2.) Again, Edwards has not earned being handed the job. If he is that much of a phyco pussy that he's done mentally if he is not named starter than they should cut him today.

3.) Woo Hoo lets all celebrate. Edwards is better at 1-3 yard passes than Brohm. :rolleyes: Excuse me, I need to go puke now.

i know a certian qb who i can't mention by name or else it'll start another derailed thread, but he couldn't hit the 1-5 yard pass. there is something in putting the ball in a spot to let your receiver go to work. with spiller being a thurman like Screen guy, it'd be nice to have touch on the ball.

and i agree, if trent can't outright win and is devastated by losing the job, he should be cut.

but i think the bills also look at the finances of all this. every company would. trent is probably the cheapest qb on the roster aside from brown right now. if brohm's the starter and brown's on the PS, between fitzy and edwards, the finances would say keep the $600k a year guy instead of the $1.6MM guy(i'm not sure those numbers are 100%) accurate. they've performed almost exactly the same stat wise.

BertSquirtgum
07-26-2010, 09:50 AM
he has proven that he sucks. why should he be named the #1?

BidsJr
07-26-2010, 10:11 AM
1. Gailey doesn't give a crap about what the media thinks even 1%. He is all about winning football games and if Brohm gives us the best chance, he will start.

2. Even more than #1, Gailey REALLY doesn't give a crap about some QB's fragile persona. I cannot see a person with Gailey's personality spending time as Trent's personal shrink for 16 games walking on eggshells not to make his pussy hurt.

3. This is the only question worth discusison imo. I haven't seen enough of Brohm to compare his accuracy to Trents. But I will trust Chan to make the best decision to help us win games.

Is it possible that with 3 talented running backs churning up yardage, it would be more important to stretch the field and get 8 out of the box? Maybe Brohm can do that better than Trent and that would be 1 big giant reason to have him as the starter.

RockStar36
07-26-2010, 10:15 AM
I'm fine with Edwards being the #1 heading into camp, not so much about him being the #1 heading into the opener vs Miami.

HHURRICANE
07-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Gailey would have to be 100% committed to Brohm at this point to annoit him as the number 1 guy in camp.

He gains nothing by doing that. Think about it.

If Brohm does better in camp and pre-season than it's very easy to pull him up after the fact.

Edwards is the veteran who has won half the games he has started in. Obvioulsy the guy is suffering through a confidence issue. So why would you exasperate that unless you were already done with him?

Do you really think Brohm won the job in OTAs????

Seriously?

You guys need to leave the hate at the door and look at the facts.

Philagape
07-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Who cares who's "No. 1" today? That doesn't mean anything, not on this team.

If by "No. 1" you mean getting a competitive advantage over the others, then he doesn't deserve that. If you don't mean that, then it's irrelevant.

HHURRICANE
07-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Who cares who's "No. 1" today? That doesn't mean anything, not on this team.

If by "No. 1" you mean getting a competitive advantage over the others, then he doesn't deserve that. If you don't mean that, then it's irrelevant.

Have you been away? The Bills are planning to have a pecking order at camp.

better days
07-26-2010, 11:01 AM

i know a certian qb who i can't mention by name or else it'll start another derailed thread, but he couldn't hit the 1-5 yard pass. there is something in putting the ball in a spot to let your receiver go to work. with spiller being a thurman like Screen guy, it'd be nice to have touch on the ball.

and i agree, if trent can't outright win and is devastated by losing the job, he should be cut.

but i think the bills also look at the finances of all this. every company would. trent is probably the cheapest qb on the roster aside from brown right now. if brohm's the starter and brown's on the PS, between fitzy and edwards, the finances would say keep the $600k a year guy instead of the $1.6MM guy(i'm not sure those numbers are 100%) accurate. they've performed almost exactly the same stat wise.

Yes Trent can hit the short pass. The problem is he does not hit his receiver in stride so they can make yds AFTER the catch. He waits until they are standing still, a target to be tackled.

Trent may be the cheapest QB this year, but he is also the most injury prone QB in the entire NFL & is in the last year of his contract.

Unless the Bills want to sign Trent to a new contract next year which will be for a large amnt of money why would they want to waste time on him?

Trent may be on this roster as JP was in his last year, because he is cheap insurance in case of emergency.

Commissioner
07-26-2010, 11:36 AM
How about we wait to see who runs the offense the best in preseason games before we say who should start?

HHURRICANE
07-26-2010, 11:59 AM
How about we wait to see who runs the offense the best in preseason games before we say who should start?

This thread is not about who should start just who should come in as the #1 for camp.

If Edwards blows in camp and pre-season he should lose his job.

Nighthawk
07-26-2010, 12:00 PM
As long as Edwards or Brohm EARNS the job, then I'm OK with it.

Jan Reimers
07-26-2010, 12:24 PM
I don't care so much about who plays with the first team on day 1, or what order the reps go in (which I think is what we're talking about here). As long as there is a real competition where each of the three gets roughly the same amount of reps, and an opportunity to play with the various iterations of the first, second and third teams, I'll be happy.

better days
07-26-2010, 12:28 PM
I don't care so much about who plays with the first team on day 1, or what order the reps go in (which I think is what we're talking about here). As long as there is a real competition where each of the three gets roughly the same amount of reps, and an opportunity to play with the various iterations of the first, second and third teams, I'll be happy.

I'm pretty sure Chan said the guy 1st in the pecking order will get more time with the starters than the other 2 in camp.

Jan Reimers
07-26-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm pretty sure Chan said the guy 1st in the pecking order will get more time with the starters than the other 2 in camp.
I think you're right, but I hope he's flexible enough to change things around quickly depending on who's performing best. Otherwise, this "pecking order" thing is a ruse and there will be no fair competition.

HHURRICANE
07-26-2010, 12:47 PM
I think you're right, but I hope he's flexible enough to change things around quickly depending on who's performing best. Otherwise, this "pecking order" thing is a ruse and there will be no fair competition.

Let's be honest.

If I were a new head coach I'd pick the guy that gives me the best chance to win. Period. That's Edwards at this point so it would be pretty stupid to stick Brohm in there unless you though his upside was dramatic.

Unless Edwards totally sucks in camp he's going to win the job because no coach is going to risk his entire season on a project. I'm sure Gailey is glad to be coaching again and I doubt he's going to risk his job by starting a guy that has been camp fodder.

Jan Reimers
07-26-2010, 12:50 PM
I agree. I think Trent is our best bet at QB. I'd simply like to see him prove it in an open competition.

JCBills
07-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Gailey would have to be 100% committed to Brohm at this point to annoit him as the number 1 guy in camp.

He gains nothing by doing that. Think about it.

If Brohm does better in camp and pre-season than it's very easy to pull him up after the fact.

Edwards is the veteran who has won half the games he has started in. Obvioulsy the guy is suffering through a confidence issue. So why would you exasperate that unless you were already done with him?

Do you really think Brohm won the job in OTAs????

Seriously?

You guys need to leave the hate at the door and look at the facts.

I think saying he gains nothing is a bit off. Since confidence is the issue at hand, the massive boost of confidence Brohm would probably have is something, at least I'd say. I don't even think Trent can mentally handle having someone breathing down his neck, so it might just be delaying the inevitable. It goes both ways.

I don't know, I just gave up on Trent when he said he didn't think he could have made any better decisions than the ones he made. (In reference to a game)

Gailey also said not to read into who's #1 at the start of camp too much. It probably will be Edwards, but I'd expect Brohm to overtake him. I think Gailey is smarter than deciding who the #1 is going to be in shorts and a t-shirt. It will come down to the team segment in practice and preseason performance, so no I don't think anyone would say Brohm won it in OTAs, nor should anyone have won it in OTAs.

Edwards is the obvious choice heading in based on experience, not so much performance. Hopefully it is truly and open competition, because Brohm does appear to be improving, at least from what the media has given us. Obviously I'm one of the bigger Brohm homers on here, but the guy just screams football. It's all he's known his entire life, the desire to improve is there. Maybe he's just saying all the right things, who knows. Edwards doesn't convey the same intent or fire. We'll see when the pads go on.

better days
07-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Let's be honest.

If I were a new head coach I'd pick the guy that gives me the best chance to win. Period. That's Edwards at this point so it would be pretty stupid to stick Brohm in there unless you though his upside was dramatic.

Unless Edwards totally sucks in camp he's going to win the job because no coach is going to risk his entire season on a project. I'm sure Gailey is glad to be coaching again and I doubt he's going to risk his job by starting a guy that has been camp fodder.

To me the big problem with starting Edwards is that he is in the last year of his contract. Unless he is substantially better than Brohm & Fitz the Bills should not resign him due to his history of being injured every year since H.S.

I doubt their is another player in the entire NFL at any position that has been as injury prone as Trent.

jamze132
07-27-2010, 01:04 AM
Although I don't really think it matter much who the QB is to lose 10+ games, I would like to see the unkown Brohm get the nod for the season. Maybe it will click for him finally. It would be nice to not have to draft a QB in the top 5 next year and pay him $20M+.