PDA

View Full Version : If people believe Edwards shouldn't be handed the starting job

more cowbell
07-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Your logic makes no sense. Let's break it down.

Sure, Brohm was a 2nd round pick, and a solid QB prospect coming out of Louisville, but he has done nothing but disappoint since entering the league.

-He was demoted in his first season from 2nd to 3rd string behind a fellow rookie, 7th round draft pick (Matt Flynn) who was debating if he wanted to go pro in football or dentistry. That doesn't really say much about Brohm's talent level or potential.

- After being cut last training camp, only his second season in the NFL, the Packers placed him on their practice squad, meaning he was available to 31 NFL teams. No team seemed to be in a hurry to sign him until the Bills, who needed a warm body at QB due to injuries finally picked him up mid-season.

- His first ever NFL start was filled with "check-downs" and mistakes as he threw for 146 yards, 2 interceptions and no touchdowns, for a stellar 43.2 QB rating. Not exactly impressive...

Edwards on the other hand, has started 32 games in three seasons, with a 77.9 QB rating, 24 touchdowns and 25 interceptions. Not exactly pro-bowl numbers...but collectively better than Mark Sanchez, Chad Henne, Matt Leinart, Kyle Orton, Matthew Stafford, Kevin Kolb, Alex Smith, Josh Freeman, and Vince Young who are all currently starting Quarterbacks in the league.

- Following his best statistical year in 2008, Edwards had to deal with his offensive coordinator being fired a week before the start of the 2009 season, learning a new playbook during the season, seeing his Pro-Bowl Left Tackle (Jason Peters) shipped to Philadelphia, and his new starting Left Tackle, Langston Walker, who had been working with the first unit the entire 2009 offseason, released a week before the season as well.

- Placed in front of Edwards were two rookie guards, a new center, and a left tackle who was selected in the 7th round of the 2008 draft, who had never started a NFL game in his career. Not exactly a recipie for success.

Both Brohm and Edwards are in need of a second chance. It should be given to the guy who has shown in his career he can be successful in the NFL if put in the right situation, rather than the guy who has shown he can only be successful at the college level.

Go Bills.

Buckets
07-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Curt Warner

BertSquirtgum
07-26-2010, 12:01 PM
he sucks. get over it. whoever looks better in full contact football at training camp should be named the starter. trent is a bum and shouldn't be handed the #1 spot.

The King
07-26-2010, 12:02 PM
No one should be handed anything. JP Losman was handed a job.

You need to earn it.

Dr. Lecter
Curt Warner

Ahhhhh...

The exeption proves the rule defense.

justasportsfan
Sure, Brohm was a 2nd round pick, and a solid QB prospect coming out of Louisville, but he has done nothing but disappoint since entering the league. .

Trent was a disappointment too.

-He was demoted in his first season from 2nd to 3rd string behind a fellow rookie, 7th round draft pick (Matt Flynn) who was debating if he wanted to go pro in football or dentistry. That doesn't really say much about Brohm's talent level or potential..Trent was demoted too .

- After being cut last training camp, only his second season in the NFL, the Packers placed him on their practice squad, meaning he was available to 31 NFL teams. No team seemed to be in a hurry to sign him until the Bills, who needed a warm body at QB due to injuries finally picked him up mid-season.. that doesn't mean a player can't improve.

- His first ever NFL start was filled with "check-downs" and mistakes as he threw for 146 yards, 2 interceptions and no touchdowns, for a stellar 43.2 QB rating. Not exactly impressive..... Trents is known nationwide as Capt. Checkdown

Edwards on the other hand, has started 32 games in three seasons, with a 77.9 QB rating, 24 touchdowns and 25 interceptions. Not exactly pro-bowl numbers...but collectively better than Mark Sanchez, Chad Henne, Matt Leinart, Kyle Orton, Matthew Stafford, Kevin Kolb, Alex Smith, Josh Freeman, and Vince Young who are all currently starting Quarterbacks in the league...

Not hard to have a better rating than those you mentioned when you keep checking down.

- Following his best statistical year in 2008, Edwards had to deal with his offensive coordinator being fired a week before the start of the 2009 season, learning a new playbook during the season, seeing his Pro-Bowl Left Tackle (Jason Peters) shipped to Philadelphia, and his new starting Left Tackle, Langston Walker, who had been working with the first unit the entire 2009 offseason, released a week before the season as well... what do you think Brohm had to deal with when he played the first game you are blasting him for? New OC, new team, new players, barely knew the playbook.etc.etc.

- Placed in front of Edwards were two rookie guards, a new center, and a left tackle who was selected in the 7th round of the 2008 draft, who had never started a NFL game in his career. Not exactly a recipie for success....
who do you think was playing in front of Brohm?

Both Brohm and Edwards are in need of a second chance. It should be given to the guy who has shown in his career he can be successful in the NFL, rather than the guy who has shown he can only be successful at the college level.

Go Bills.

The best thing is to stop using the past to grade any of the qb's.
Everyone gets a clean slate and let Chan and Cortez decide moving forward.

Night Train
Whatever.

They're all keeping the seat warm for the 7th round pick Brown or next years early selection.

HHURRICANE
07-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Well written thread Cowbell!

I think Brohm and Fitz are being given every chance to win the job in OTAs, camp, and pre-season.

However, If Edwards emerges as the starter are we still going to have to listen to people justify Brohm?

HHURRICANE
07-26-2010, 12:07 PM
he sucks. get over it. whoever looks better in full contact football at training camp should be named the starter. trent is a bum and shouldn't be handed the #1 spot.

If Edwards wins the job are you still going to whine about it?

Beebe's Kid
07-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Mrs. Edwards,

We have told you over and over, that your son will be given a chance to win the job. Your examples of Brohm's one game and Trent's two sub-par seasons have been heard and acknowledged.

Although this information you bring to the table about Brohm disappointing in Green Bay...please, tell us more. We haven't heard anything about this. Just kidding. We have heard your argument there, as well.

Thanks,

CG

ddaryl
07-26-2010, 12:12 PM
There is no logic because the Bills have not had a legitimate starting QB since Bledsoe

therefore it is still very much up for grabs and even if there is a starter named at the beginning of camp it may not be that way by the end of preseason.

IMO preseason is where we judge who is the real starter ... Hopefully Chan will have a plan to get all the QB's some work with starters in the 1st 2 preseason games with the last 2 preseason games used to get the season starter some extended time

BertSquirtgum
07-26-2010, 12:13 PM
If Edwards wins the job are you still going to whine about it?

who's whining? he's terrible but if he can win the job then he will have proven to be the least terrible qb on the roster. you shouldn't be talking anyway. all you do is cry. only recently has it seemed that you have turned over a new leaf and stopped posting garbage.

better days
07-26-2010, 12:14 PM
Is it logical to pick a guy that with all that experience has looked no better than the other two in OTA's? Is it logical to pick a guy that is the most injury prone QB in the entire NFL & is in the last year of his contract to start?

The bottem line is no matter how well Chan can get Trent to play he will need to be resigned to a BIG new contract & will still be an injury waiting to happen. I do not want the Bills to invest money or time in that type of guy myself.

BertSquirtgum
07-26-2010, 12:27 PM
is it possible to clone jim kelly?

justasportsfan
07-26-2010, 12:31 PM
What isn't logical is handing someone the job based on the past staff that has nothing to do with the new.

It's more logical to start the best player under the new system.

Jan Reimers
07-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Why do we need someone to be named the starter, or the number 1 guy, or whatever, on the first day of camp? When there is no clear cut number 1 at a position, you use camp to determine the best man.

Has Trent been so stellar in his career that he should handed the starting job? I think not.

ddaryl
07-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Why do we need someone to be named the starter, or the number 1 guy, or whatever, on the first day of camp? When there is no clear cut number 1 at a position, you use camp to determine the best man.

Has Trent been so stellar in his career that he should handed the starting job? I think not.

Gailey has said he'll name a starfter on day 1 of camp... So we're all waiting that camp decision.

Still think it can change before the end of preseason and I'm sure gailey will suggest that... :plane:

HHURRICANE
07-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Edwards numbers are better than Drew Brees after 3 years.

I'd like to see what he can do if he wins the job in camp.

Brees was getting the excat same criticism and that's why SD got Rivers.

I'm not saying that Edwards is Brees but I don't think it's fair to leave out the crappy o-line, the firing of the OC, the changes in personnel, the crappy coaching etc., etc., etc.,.

Gailey has proven that he gets the most out of lesser talented QBs. I'm actually excited that we have a coach that can coach the QB position.

Jan Reimers
07-26-2010, 12:44 PM
I hope we're all reading too much into Gailey's "pecking order" approach, and that he's really going to use camp to determine a starter.

Jan Reimers
07-26-2010, 12:48 PM
I have a feeling that Trent is our best QB, but I'd like to see him clearly win the job in camp.

Electrici
07-26-2010, 01:06 PM
I think Edwards will win the job, however am perfectly fine with anyone that earns it based on their training camp.

Edwards is not known nationwide as captain checkdown, he's only called that by people who should be supporting him; the fans of the Buffalo Bills. What a stupid name anyhow.

justasportsfan
07-26-2010, 01:40 PM
I think Edwards will win the job, however am perfectly fine with anyone that earns it based on their training camp.

Edwards is not known nationwide as captain checkdown, he's only called that by people who should be supporting him; the fans of the Buffalo Bills. What a stupid name anyhow.

I am one of the few that still defends him when opinions on him are unfair.I don't put the enire blame on him with regards to his failures. Most of them I place on coaching the last few years. But I also criticize him at times where he deserves to be criticized.

Philagape
07-26-2010, 01:43 PM

Wherever the name came from, he earned it.

trapezeus
07-26-2010, 01:45 PM
i misread the intent of this thread. i thought hh was saying edwards wouldwin the job because of his three points, not that he should be the starter in camp.

I think it sounds like at the OTA's, gailey made up his mind. maybe he took some historical performance into account. but i think he probably really just looked at the 3 equally, determined what he had and who he works best with.

i think if he comes in with brown as the #1 in camp, i'm cool with that. because they really already did the rationing of snaps in OTAs. He's got an idea, and he said, "he has to give the guy at the top of the pecking order more of a chance or it won't come together quick enough."

ddaryl
07-26-2010, 01:45 PM

You are 100% correct; captain checkdown is his psuedoname... His real national name is Trentative :surf:

Michael82
07-26-2010, 02:39 PM

Well said! :bf1:

JCBills
07-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Edwards numbers are better than Drew Brees after 3 years.

I'd like to see what he can do if he wins the job in camp.

Brees was getting the excat same criticism and that's why SD got Rivers.

I'm not saying that Edwards is Brees but I don't think it's fair to leave out the crappy o-line, the firing of the OC, the changes in personnel, the crappy coaching etc., etc., etc.,.

Gailey has proven that he gets the most out of lesser talented QBs. I'm actually excited that we have a coach that can coach the QB position.

Brees was also only active for one game as a rookie. Even then, Brees threw 29 TDs to Trent's 24 in those first 3 with Brees playing 1 game as a rookie. 5613 yds to Trent's 5498. Yeah, Brees threw more picks, but that's because he was at least trying to win. The Chargers were also in much worse shape when Brees was starting off there than the Bills were when Trent was starting off here, SD was coming off a 1-15 season. That of course is when Nix and friends rebuilt the franchise through the draft.

acehole
07-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Forget logic...stats don't mater nothing maters but "wins and losses" and if you have been a member of this board...forget logic...it is about feelings.

Philagape once said once assesing a qb you can't look at anything else but the qb's play.

So forget the excuses.

Having said that he is the best qb on this roster and should be given one more chance under gaileys system even though we did not extend that to the other qb's ...personally I have my own reasons as he has never proven anything anywhere....but we need one more good draft to make a run...so to me its win win,...if we suck we can be rid of the trend edwards era forever and Start the Brown era or some other qb yet unknown....if he wins he would have turned the corner and we can use that #1 pick on a stud DE or elswhere...it doesnt mater to me...to me he is a one trick pony and deffenses have a easy time with capitian dump off...he has never won anywhere and he has been hurt every year he has ever played...still we want to ignore that and project our image of Joe Montanna on him...and but joe walsh said...but Joe walsh said...Joe walsh was a great man...but he loved Jim Drunken Miller also....so I will wait for the triple test results to come in to final confirm without a doubt that he can't play....if he can do well this year...then feelings triumph...

So good post and understand you on the logic front but on this board you can have film and stats and testimony....and player quotes and some are like OJ jurors...that can't believe there own eyes...

QUOTE=more cowbell]Your logic makes no sense. Let's break it down.

Sure, Brohm was a 2nd round pick, and a solid QB prospect coming out of Louisville, but he has done nothing but disappoint since entering the league.

-He was demoted in his first season from 2nd to 3rd string behind a fellow rookie, 7th round draft pick (Matt Flynn) who was debating if he wanted to go pro in football or dentistry. That doesn't really say much about Brohm's talent level or potential.

- After being cut last training camp, only his second season in the NFL, the Packers placed him on their practice squad, meaning he was available to 31 NFL teams. No team seemed to be in a hurry to sign him until the Bills, who needed a warm body at QB due to injuries finally picked him up mid-season.

- His first ever NFL start was filled with "check-downs" and mistakes as he threw for 146 yards, 2 interceptions and no touchdowns, for a stellar 43.2 QB rating. Not exactly impressive...

Edwards on the other hand, has started 32 games in three seasons, with a 77.9 QB rating, 24 touchdowns and 25 interceptions. Not exactly pro-bowl numbers...but collectively better than Mark Sanchez, Chad Henne, Matt Leinart, Kyle Orton, Matthew Stafford, Kevin Kolb, Alex Smith, Josh Freeman, and Vince Young who are all currently starting Quarterbacks in the league.

- Following his best statistical year in 2008, Edwards had to deal with his offensive coordinator being fired a week before the start of the 2009 season, learning a new playbook during the season, seeing his Pro-Bowl Left Tackle (Jason Peters) shipped to Philadelphia, and his new starting Left Tackle, Langston Walker, who had been working with the first unit the entire 2009 offseason, released a week before the season as well.

- Placed in front of Edwards were two rookie guards, a new center, and a left tackle who was selected in the 7th round of the 2008 draft, who had never started a NFL game in his career. Not exactly a recipie for success.

Both Brohm and Edwards are in need of a second chance. It should be given to the guy who has shown in his career he can be successful in the NFL if put in the right situation, rather than the guy who has shown he can only be successful at the college level.

Go Bills.[/QUOTE]

acehole
07-26-2010, 05:54 PM
Brom is a good QB but he has no confidence.

Forget logic...stats don't mater nothing maters but "wins and losses" and if you have been a member of this board...forget logic...it is about feelings.

Philagape once said once assesing a qb you can't look at anything else but the qb's play.

So forget the excuses.

Having said that he is the best qb on this roster and should be given one more chance under gaileys system even though we did not extend that to the other qb's ...personally I have my own reasons as he has never proven anything anywhere....but we need one more good draft to make a run...so to me its win win,...if we suck we can be rid of the trend edwards era forever and Start the Brown era or some other qb yet unknown....if he wins he would have turned the corner and we can use that #1 pick on a stud DE or elswhere...it doesnt mater to me...to me he is a one trick pony and deffenses have a easy time with capitian dump off...he has never won anywhere and he has been hurt every year he has ever played...still we want to ignore that and project our image of Joe Montanna on him...and but joe walsh said...but Joe walsh said...Joe walsh was a great man...but he loved Jim Drunken Miller also....so I will wait for the triple test results to come in to final confirm without a doubt that he can't play....if he can do well this year...then feelings triumph...

So good post and understand you on the logic front but on this board you can have film and stats and testimony....and player quotes and some are like OJ jurors...that can't believe there own eyes...

Go Bills.[/QUOTE]

JCBills
07-26-2010, 05:59 PM
Brom is a good QB but he has no confidence.

Edwards doesn't exactly ooze confidence.

Maybe he's just saying what he's supposed to, but Brohm might have his back:

Q: You've said you made a bad first impression at Packers camp and that hurt you, even though you played better in Year Two. After so much success in college, do you think there was a subconscious letdown competing for a backup job in Green Bay behind Aaron Rodgers?

A: I think initially it probably was. I didn't want to let that in, admit that back then. I think there probably was. Coming out I expected to be one of those franchise guys, getting picked in the first round. It didn't happen that way. You're gonna have to earn it the hard way now and work your way up the depth chart. I'm totally prepared for that now. I don't know if I was prepared for that my first year coming in.

Q: No matter what you did in Green Bay, you very likely were not beating out Rodgers. Do you feel fortunate to have landed in Buffalo, where you've got as good a shot to start as perhaps on any team in the league?

A: There's definitely more of an opportunity to get on the field in this spot. It's still a competition. There's still two guys here who have played, who have started numerous games, who know how to play the game, both battling to keep the jobs they have. It's still a competition. I've got to work my way up.

Q: How do you feel about your chances to win the starting job?

A: They've tried to make it as even as possible so far. Obviously that's going to change just a little bit in training camp. But the job will still be open. I think those preseason games will be very important. I think the biggest thing is you work your tail off every day, and whenever your opportunity comes you have to take advantage of it because you don't know when another one will come along.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/article81368.ece

Nighthawk
07-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Your logic makes no sense. Let's break it down.

Go Bills.

Ummm, your logic is seriously flawed. Give it to the guy who has proven to be mediocre over the guy who has had a rough start to his career, but has not yet had a chance to prove what he can do? Yeah, that is the most idiotic argument for Edwards starting that I have seen so far. It doesn't matter who is named #1 going into camp...I only care about who EARNS it during camp. If that is Edwards, so be it, but he should be handed NOTHING...he doesn't deserve it and your ridiculous logic makes it even more evident.

more cowbell
07-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Ummm, your logic is seriously flawed. Give it to the guy who has proven to be mediocre over the guy who has had a rough start to his career, but has not yet had a chance to prove what he can do? Yeah, that is the most idiotic argument for Edwards starting that I have seen so far. It doesn't matter who is named #1 going into camp...I only care about who EARNS it during camp. If that is Edwards, so be it, but he should be handed NOTHING...he doesn't deserve it and your ridiculous logic makes it even more evident.

Brohm isnt a rookie, the guy has been in the league for 2 years, was cut after his first year, ANY team in the NFL could have had him. The guy hasnt been on the field for a reason. he sucks.

My argument is for the people who believe Brohm should be the starter when camp opens because he is the "least infected QB on the roster, with the most potential" IF were going by that logic then it makes no sense for him to be handed the starters job.

If Brohm is the best QB in camp, then that's awesome, I'll be excited to see what he can do. Based on performance in the NFL so far, he has no business competing for a starting position.

JCBills
07-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Brohm isnt a rookie, the guy has been in the league for 2 years, was cut after his first year, ANY team in the NFL could have had him. The guy hasnt been on the field for a reason. he sucks.

My argument is for the people who believe Brohm should be the starter when camp opens because he is the "least infected QB on the roster, with the most potential" IF were going by that logic then it makes no sense for him to be handed the starters job.

If Brohm is the best QB in camp, then that's awesome, I'll be excited to see what he can do. Based on performance in the NFL so far, he has no business competing for a starting position.

Based on what you're saying, plenty of guys who were given a shot a few years into the league and ended up successful should have never been given a chance.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?page=NextLevel1

X-Era
07-26-2010, 07:54 PM
If you have no playoff Quarterback, Trent is as decent an option as the rest. I agree with Jan though. He needs to earn it.

Spiderweb
07-26-2010, 07:58 PM

Precisely. No QB on the Bills roster currently has the QB position to call his own as none have done anything to date to warrant a lock. Edwards hasn't won any such consideration and the job should be won or lost over the next 4-6 weeks.

PcA125
07-26-2010, 09:54 PM
What are the chances we see Brown at some point this year? :drive:

BillsWin
07-26-2010, 10:15 PM
All three suck. End of story.

Im looking forward to us drafting a stud QB next year who will lead this team out of the gutter.

better days
07-26-2010, 10:23 PM
All three suck. End of story.

Im looking forward to us drafting a stud QB next year who will lead this team out of the gutter.

End of thread.

jamze132
07-27-2010, 01:01 AM
Its no secret that Trent will open camp with the first team offense. Its also no secret that as of right now, FItzdouchetrick and Brohm have no shot at supplanting Trent as the starter sicne they all suck at football. Regardless of who the QB is, he is going to be no more than average this season. My opinion.

justasportsfan
07-27-2010, 10:02 AM

If you made that clear in the begining then you are right. No one should be handed any job. I think Gailey made it clear that everyone will compete for a job.

HHURRICANE
07-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Its no secret that Trent will open camp with the first team offense. Its also no secret that as of right now, FItzdouchetrick and Brohm have no shot at supplanting Trent as the starter sicne they all suck at football. Regardless of who the QB is, he is going to be no more than average this season. My opinion.

I totally agree that I think people are in dream land if they actually believe that Trent isn't the front runner.

Honsetly what have the other two done that would make them the front runner?

It's Edwards job to lose, not to win.

I liked Brohm in college but I watched him in pre-season and I was at the game last year in Atlanta (actually got invited to sit with his family) and I can tell you that he's not going to win the job.

JCBills
07-27-2010, 11:57 AM
I totally agree that I think people are in dream land if they actually believe that Trent isn't the front runner.

Honsetly what have the other two done that would make them the front runner?

It's Edwards job to lose, not to win.

I liked Brohm in college but I watched him in pre-season and I was at the game last year in Atlanta (actually got invited to sit with his family) and I can tell you that he's not going to win the job.

Yeah, Edwards is the obvious choice, this isn't some groundbreaking revelation. If he wasn't #1 going into camp based purely on experience, then he's a much bigger failure than anyone thought.

Hilarious though how people cling to the Atlanta game.

Bill Cody
07-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Every throw in every drill and every scrimmage and every preseason game is tracked and reviewed by the staff. Noone deserves to be handed anything but hopefully someone will deserve to start. Wouldn't that be a nice surprise?

Philagape
07-27-2010, 12:52 PM
Yeah, Edwards is the obvious choice, this isn't some groundbreaking revelation. If he wasn't #1 going into camp based purely on experience, then he's a much bigger failure than anyone thought.

Not anyone. Quite a few people already believe he's that big a failure, and it's hard to blame them.

Bill Cody
07-27-2010, 01:09 PM

Hilarious though how people cling to the Atlanta game.

You would think so but how big an edge does poor experience gain you? I've seen QB's have ups and downs early in their careers, it is to be expected frankly, but Edwards got into a rut or funk that was enough to give any coach pause. Personally I think Trent starting hearing footsteps after he got his bell rung and he's been playing scared since.

I won't deny it's possible that time off and a new start with new coaches could change that but if not I can see no reason, no reason at all to play a shell shocked QB. Edwards either snaps out of the funk or you start going through the ups and downs of breaking in a new guy, just that simple. And you don't need to burn through this season before you figure that question out.

JCBills
07-27-2010, 02:11 PM
You would think so but how big an edge does poor experience gain you? I've seen QB's have ups and downs early in their careers, it is to be expected frankly, but Edwards got into a rut or funk that was enough to give any coach pause. Personally I think Trent starting hearing footsteps after he got his bell rung and he's been playing scared since.

I won't deny it's possible that time off and a new start with new coaches could change that but if not I can see no reason, no reason at all to play a shell shocked QB. Edwards either snaps out of the funk or you start going through the ups and downs of breaking in a new guy, just that simple. And you don't need to burn through this season before you figure that question out.
Oh I'm on you with this one, Edwards hasn't shown anything in his 30 starts to give anyone reason to think he's a starting caliber QB. Don't know if I said it here or in another thread, but going into camp with Edwards #1 is probably just delaying the inevitable. This is an obvious rebuilding season, so I think the team could gain more if they go with the 3rd year guy who hasn't really had a shot.

You can't win with someone as conservative as Edwards on the field.

The Elias Sports Bureau tracks every play, and it credited Edwards with only two pass attempts that traveled more than 40 yards in the air and 21 that traveled farther than 20 yards.

But 140 of his 183 attempts were 10 yards or shorter, with 47 of them thrown behind the line of scrimmage.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/13472/captain-checkdown-has-sidekick-in-spiller

It was painful to watch our QBs flat out inability to get the ball to Owens and Evans, what basically should have been a top WR tandem. With Edwards under center, Evans didn't register more than 4 catches in a game, and T.O. never had more than 4 receptions, which only happened once. In Brohm's lone start, 5 weeks on the team, 1 week with the starters, Evans posted 5 receptions, T.O. had 4 (5+ if he wasn't checked out on the season), which is also well above their average receptions per game for last season. This is with a vanilla gameplan, in which he was told to keep the throws short. Also, in one game, Brohm had at least one 40+ yd pass attempt, and Trent had two in 7 starts. Paired with his college performance, it gives me reason to believe Brohm will at least try to get the ball down field if he thinks it's there.

It seems like Trent's confidence is toast, and with the way he interviewed last season, he doesn't seem to be in the right mindset to learn, grow, and get better. If he somehow does it, more power to him, but I just don't see it.

justasportsfan
07-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Oh I'm on you with this one, Edwards hasn't shown anything in his 30 starts to give anyone reason to think he's a starting caliber QB. Don't know if I said it here or in another thread, but going into camp with Edwards #1 is probably just delaying the inevitable. This is an obvious rebuilding season, so I think the team could gain more if they go with the 3rd year guy who hasn't really had a shot.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/13472/captain-checkdown-has-sidekick-in-spiller

It was painful to watch our QBs flat out inability to get the ball to Owens and Evans, what basically should have been a top WR tandem. With Edwards under center, Evans didn't register more than 4 catches in a game, and T.O. never had more than 4 receptions, which only happened once. In Brohm's lone start, 5 weeks on the team, 1 week with the starters, Evans posted 5 receptions, T.O. had 4 (5+ if he wasn't checked out on the season), which is also well above their average receptions per game for last season. This is with a vanilla gameplan, in which he was told to keep the throws short. Also, in one game, Brohm had at least one 40+ yd pass attempt, and Trent had two in 7 starts. Paired with his college performance, it gives me reason to believe Brohm will at least try to get the ball down field if he thinks it's there.

It seems like Trent's confidence is toast, and with the way he interviewed last season, he doesn't seem to be in the right mindset to learn, grow, and get better. If he somehow does it, more power to him, but I just don't see it.

We have height and speed at the wr position. I hope our qb can zip the ball as well as have the confidence to throw it up higher to guys like Hardy ,Easley and Nelson where they tower over db's.

JCBills
07-27-2010, 03:11 PM
We have height and speed at the wr position. I hope our qb can zip the ball as well as have the confidence to throw it up higher to guys like Hardy ,Easley and Nelson where they tower over db's.

Exactly, just give me the guy who's going to do everything he can to win games. So far, that doesn't appear to be in Trent's bag of tricks.

acehole
07-27-2010, 03:49 PM
I agree with your premise ...but what signal does it give the other players if we start a journey men...the signal will be we give up....no intention of winning rebuilding year ect....what they will do is throw edwards under first bus they see if we are losing..... this protects them from giving the signal that they dont intend to win....then they will put in brom or brown hopfully...to see what we got.....but not until the writing is on the wall for a loss of a year....which has been determined on this board that it is all on the qb's shoulders....(Lol.)

SABURZFAN
08-22-2010, 05:23 PM

So forget the excuses.

Go Bills.[/QUOTE]

joe walsh is a helluva musician but i won't take his word (or yours) when it comes to football.