PDA

View Full Version : OL Pitts visits Bills

The Spaz
07-26-2010, 02:56 PM
The Buffalo Bills hosted free agent offensive lineman Chester Pitts at One Bills Drive on Monday.

Pitts (6'4" 308) is an eight-year NFL veteran that has spent his entire career with the Houston Texans, where he has been a starter since the club made him a second-round pick in 2002. He's played primarily left guard for the Texans, but has also spent time at left tackle.

The 31-year old lineman had not missed a single start in his career until last season when a knee injury in Week 2 landed him injured reserve.

Buffalo is believed to be looking for interior line depth. Behind projected starters Andy Levitre and Eric Wood, only Kirk Chambers has appreciable NFL experience among the interior linemen on the Bills roster.

Pitts reportedly worked out for a pair of other NFL clubs last week.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/OL-Pitts-visits-Bills/c578e662-e9ec-4788-b9af-19486d46d283

DrGraves
07-26-2010, 03:03 PM
bring him in... we went through about 20 tackles last season it feels like.

more cowbell
07-26-2010, 03:08 PM
would be a good signing...we desperatley need veretan depth on the line at any position

Beebe's Kid
07-26-2010, 03:11 PM
It does... only it doesn't help that Pitts is a G.

X-Era
07-26-2010, 03:19 PM

If signed, hes Chambers supplement or replacement. Hes a swing tackle type... can backup at multiple positions.

The Spaz
07-26-2010, 03:20 PM

He mainly played there but does have some experience at tackle as well.

Jaybird
07-26-2010, 03:25 PM
make this happen!

We need some vet leadership on the line

Michael82
07-26-2010, 03:31 PM
If signed, hes Chambers supplement or replacement. Hes a swing tackle type... can backup at multiple positions.

That's a definite WIN-WIN!

1. We get rid of that useless piece of ****, Kirk Chambers.
2. We get a veteran guard/tackle to take over as the new swing tackle/guard.

Demon
07-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Can't imagine he'd be that good since it's late July, camps are about to be starting and he's still home on his couch, but as someone noted, the extra bodies can't hurt and we may have the worst line in all of the league so extra help can not hurt.

ddaryl
07-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Cpould be a huge depth signing.... and with LT experience gives us a little extra in that department

X-Era
07-26-2010, 03:42 PM
That's a definite WIN-WIN!

1. We get rid of that useless piece of ****, Kirk Chambers.
2. We get a veteran guard/tackle to take over as the new swing tackle/guard.

I wanted Simmons back in the fold... dont know what happened to him. This would be a decent replacement.

At a higher level, I don't think we can have too many quality vet backups. It sure beats starting guys like Digi, or Corto. Plus it pushes the rook's and young guys to step up.

Johnny Bugmenot
07-26-2010, 08:21 PM
You kidding me? The Texans had a worse line than the Bills for most of the decade. Pass.

bigbub2352
07-26-2010, 09:11 PM
bring him in we need a vet asap

BillsWin
07-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Wasn't he a pro bowl alternate once? Or am I thinking of someone else? I haven't read up on him so I wouldn't know.

The name sounds familiar though.

Ickybaluky
07-26-2010, 09:22 PM
Can't imagine he'd be that good since it's late July, camps are about to be starting and he's still home on his couch, but as someone noted, the extra bodies can't hurt and we may have the worst line in all of the league so extra help can not hurt.

He has been a starter his entire career. The reason he hasn't signed is he hasn't been healthy. He had microfracture surgery this offseason and hasn't been able to work out for teams until recently.

I think he would be primarily be a backup at OG. I guess he could play OT in a pinch, but he is built much more like an OG than an OT.

Scumbag College
07-26-2010, 10:12 PM
It's either Pitts or bring back Jon Carmen for OL help...

I'd take Pitts in a second.

clumping platelets
07-27-2010, 12:07 AM
Championship!! :cp:

DrGraves
07-27-2010, 01:29 AM
we where starting guys off of the street last year to play LT. anyone with any experience whatsoever can't hurt. sure he may have played on a terrible texans line... but he couldnt have been that bad if he never lost his job.

TigerJ
07-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Assuming he's recovered from his injury last season, 31 is not ancient for an offensive lineman who's been relatively durable. As a depth signing, this could be pretty solid, especially if he can swing outside in a pinch.

I am assuming that part of the Bills' injury issues last season were due to the crappy strength and conditioning program the Bills apparently had, along with the Club Jauron training camp. If that is true, and assuming that the current coaching staff is more competent with such issues, the Bills may be able to greatly reduce their injury problems.

DraftBoy
07-27-2010, 10:15 PM
I cant really see how he helps much at OT, but as a veteran OG Im all for it.

TigerJ
07-27-2010, 10:24 PM
I cant really see how he helps much at OT, but as a veteran OG Im all for it.I agree. He's not going to be a swing tackle. You hope you don't need him for it, but if your starter at LT goes down and your swing tackle follows, you've got a guy on the roster who has at least had a little game time at left tackle. He might get you through a game, assuming the starter or swing man can come back the following week. That's about it.