PDA

View Full Version : Tom Donahoe on Howard Simon

cordog
06-12-2003, 02:04 PM
Hes talking about Jett's speed and Josh Reed developing into a # 2 reciever

cordog
06-12-2003, 02:19 PM
TD went on to say that Jett still has alot of speed. He also talked about Josh Reed and how even though he isn't as fast as PP, he will be fine. He said that the Bills will not persue Ahanatu or Conaty. TD went on to say that Spoon looks great, and Jones looks pretty good. He said Jones has done more this week than in weeks past but his leg needs to get stronger. He said team doctors are confident he will be ready to go full strength at training camp. He talked about how Willis McGahee is way, way ahead of schedule and how GW initiated the changes to his staff and will show this year that he is a good coach

TypicalBill
06-12-2003, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the update :up:

R. Rich
06-12-2003, 03:00 PM
McGahee's ahead of schedule, eh? Great! Hey, competition is good; it will keep both of these guys sharp and focused (I'm sure neither wants to ride the pine). If Jones is healthy and looking good going into camp, and what they say about Denney working out to improve is true, then maybe we have an interesting battle going on for the LDE spot. It's important that whoever wins the job be productive there. I like that Spoon is looking good to them also. As long as he stays healthy, he offers very good depth and solid special teams play, which our coverage units so badly need. No to Conaty? Maybe Sobieski will be the backup center. They say he's good, but I'll wait to see how he does in training camp (I hope he signs shortly). As far as Reed goes, I've been saying all offseason that I feel he will do well as the #2 guy. He looked very good last year, and he'll only continue to get better! What did he say about safety? Are they satisfied with the players they have, or is there plans to bring in another veteran after the retirement of Chad Cota?

The_Philster
06-12-2003, 03:15 PM
I don't like the idea of letting Conaty walk. Maybe they'll see how Sobieski does in early camp and, if he's still unsigned, bring Conaty in if Sobieski isn't working out.

mypoorfriendme
06-12-2003, 04:16 PM
so sobieski is healthy right now or is he still rocovering from all of his surgeries??

Tatonka
06-12-2003, 04:19 PM
sobieski has been healthy for almost a year. problem was, when he got healthy at iowa.. their line was so dominant.. they didnt want to change anything.. so he sat, even though he was healthy.

cordog
06-12-2003, 05:19 PM
He didnt say anything about the safety position, the only thing he had to say was about the whole cota mess, but yeah i dont like the idea of Conaty not being back

kdharge
06-12-2003, 05:49 PM
Willis Mcgehee way way ahead of schedule is scary ........The thing that impress me about him other than his God given ability and competetive fire is that his love for the game .Lets compare Clinton Portis ,as Ray Lewis would call a "paycheck player", Willis mentor is Ray Lewis and he recited Ray Lewis advice to him on the Best damn Sports Show" Don't ever play this game for just the money play for the love of the game .......The money will come. I say we have something special in this guy ........something special.

TigerJ
06-12-2003, 09:08 PM
Good info!. I'm just curious about one thing, why, if TD is so high on GW, doesn't he offer a contract extension. In various venues he's stated that the lack of a contract will be a hindrance neither to the players or the coaching staff, but that still doesn't answer the question.

Doc
06-12-2003, 09:30 PM
The obvious answer is that he offered one to GW, but GW refused. Think about it: what is the benefit in GW signing an extension now? He'd get paid about the same and have no guarantee that he'd last after the season was over if the team did poorly, although he'd probably be guaranteed to be paid for the remainder of the contract. If he waits until this year's team plays and plays well, he's looking at a huge contract. It's a calculated gamble and with the talent they've amassed, it's not really a gamble IMHO.

Tatonka
06-12-2003, 09:31 PM
did i miss that? you said he commented on the cota mess.. what did he say??

yle
06-12-2003, 09:37 PM
I agree that it is not much of a gamble by GW, because he either cashes in a big payday at the end of the year, or leaves Buffalo and goes somewhere else for about the same. Someone will hire him because he is not a bad coach, and he will probably come cheap.

LABillsFan
06-12-2003, 10:25 PM
Was Conaty that bad to where they have more confidence in a rookie? I didn't think he was great but he played admireably when he had the chance. Maybe Conaty didn't like getting bumped by Teague and didn't give the coaching staff a reason to resign him.

If GW is in fact waiting to get a bigger contract after the season or move on if he doesn't get one, do you think he'll have a choice? TD doesn't overpay and if The Bills do well teams will be after GW and I don't see TD getting into a bidding war, he may offer him a raise but would it be enough? If GW gets a better offer all TD has to do is say See Ya, and promote Gilbride or LeBeau, 2 former HC on the current Bills staff. It may backfire on GW if this indeed his plan. It may also backfire on the Bills with Gilbride as HC. Then again if the HC job is offered to LeBeau, Gilbride may get all bent. At least there'll be something to talk about early next year.

Doc
06-13-2003, 03:59 PM
I don't think it will be a huge contract Donahoe offers him, but it should be substantially more than he'd make if he signed now.