X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

BillsZone Training Camp Report: 7/29/2010

It's Here! The Buffalo Bills Training Camp is finally here! Although you couldn't tell that by looking at the stands. It seemed like a lot of fans stayed away and it definitely felt different from last year when Terrell Owens brought some excitement to St. John Fisher. The atmosphere was quiet and it was one of the smallest crowds in a while. Seems like the overall fan doesn't have anything to get excited about. It will be interesting to see how the night practice attendance is. There was one difference that was a positive though. For the first time in many years, the Bills came out onto the field on Day 1 wearing full pads. This was something new and it makes me excited about the rest of camp. Hopefully we go back to hearing the smacking of pads and the hard hitting, fast paced tempo we used to have before the Jauron Era.
    Last edited by Michael82; 07-30-2010, 04:30 AM.
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: BillsZone Training Camp Report: 7/29/2010

Seeing how the Zone Galleries are down, all my photos will now be on my Photobucket account. Here's a slideshow of the photos from camp on Day 1....

Comment

• tampabay25690
      • Feb 2004

The thing I see in the pics is that our defense lines up all over the place and thats great to see......
      STroud was inside, outside, OLB were down and up.....
      Its good to see a bit of change for once on our defense...
      We look BIGGER as well on the D....
      GO Gators!!!!!!
      GO GATORS!!

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by tampabay25690
        The thing I see in the pics is that our defense lines up all over the place and thats great to see......
        STroud was inside, outside, OLB were down and up.....
        Its good to see a bit of change for once on our defense...
        We look BIGGER as well on the D....
        Good catch! We are definitely bigger on defense. They look bigger and tougher.

Comment

• ZAZusmc03
          • Jan 2010

Good to hear they are putting knee braces on all O lineman. I guess I never noticed before, But I thought at most colleges and NFL teams they did that anyways.

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

3. Watch out for Joique Bell. That kid is impressive and shows great burst. I was enjoying watching every time he carried the ball. He's very explosive and broke quite a few runs. If CJ Spiller wants to hold out, fine. But I wouldn't hold out too long if I were him. There's a lot of good competition at RB.
            :db:
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy
              :db:
              I knew you would like that one. mysticsoto and I were both discussing that you might have more people joining you with your mancrush on him.

Comment

• ddaryl
                Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Mikey82
                Good catch! We are definitely bigger on defense. They look bigger and tougher.

bigger is better..... God how I hated the 4-3

give me 4 LB's with a little more girth

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

I knew you would like that one. mysticsoto and I were both discussing that you might have more people joining you with your mancrush on him.
                  He's a guy with deceptive speed, great vision and he runs hard. I think you illustrated all those traits in your article.

He's going to get plenty of reps with Spiller not in camp and that's good for him. Was his 18 yard run the longest of the day for any RB?
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Michael82
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                    He's a guy with deceptive speed, great vision and he runs hard. I think you illustrated all those traits in your article.

He's going to get plenty of reps with Spiller not in camp and that's good for him. Was his 18 yard run the longest of the day for any RB?
                    His 18-yard run was probably longer than that. But I shortened some by saying that they would be stopped by that time but the defensive players gave up. He broke quite a few runs and headed straight for the end zone each time.

Comment

• Michael82
                      • Jul 2002

Oh and this is to the rest of you....if any of you have anything in particular you want me to keep an eye on, please let me know.

Comment

• ddaryl
                        Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                        • Jan 2005

Oh and this is to the rest of you....if any of you have anything in particular you want me to keep an eye on, please let me know.
                        all I know is I will be keeping an eye out for that Zuit Suit your wearing in your Avatarr....

you make a great pimp...

Comment

• mysticsoto
                          Too sober for this...
                          • Apr 2004

I was in training camp yesterday for the Opener. Since Mikey has done such a great job in his article I won't write one reiterating what he already said. I will include little tidbits that I had written down here instead:

- The Bills were out early practicing (before 3 PM) and the DL started by working gap assignments. The 1st string D lined up against the 2nd string D and it was being made sure that each person knew where they were supposed to be. I think this is a worry for some (the transition for 4-3 to 3-4) so it was good to see that off the bat, they are ensuring to place emphasis on working on that transition.

- As Mikey said, the stretches and exercises were done within each unit. Personally, I think this is a good thing - builds cohesion between players.

- Special Teams got more work/time than I thought they might. Despite this team's prowess on the field, they are not getting overlooked or underworked.

- Much to Draftboy's delight, Joique Bell was great. He made some nice cut and runs that might have broke it to the endzone - and he did this several times. On one, he delivered a big crack on Dominique Harris! I looked his stats up, 5'11", 220 lbs - not too shabby, but he sure looks and plays bigger than that on the field.

- Maybin got lots of play time. I think they are really trying to give him a chance to show something. I still think he needs to gain some weight though.

- I thought Chris Ellis looked good. He certainly seemed comfortable in the 3-4 lineup.

- Mikey mentioned this already, but I think it bears repeating...Hangartner could NOT get bullrushed by Stroud. In each and every time of the 3 tries, Stroud was shutdown. I thought this was a weak point of Hangartners last year (as well as Levitre's) and he just might have addressed it in the offseason. On that note, Christian Gaddis handled the bull rush well also. He might be stepping it up trying to secure a backup Center spot.

- Levitre had one slow block that might have ended up rushing the quarterback to throw and 1 good block, so he still might need to work on him skillset and strength. I need to see more of him 1st.

- Eric Wood is back and looked fine. I couldn't believe it. I never thought he'd be back in time for Training Camp, much less already in pads and working with the rest of the team. He was one of the 1st ones out on the field and looked just as solid as before.

- Marshawn Lynch had some nice runs where he cut or otherwise broke tackles rather easily and would have had some long runs. And like Mikey said, there seems to be a new attitude about him - perhaps a 'don't count me out' type of attitude. We are loaded at Running Back and with surprise injuries occurring all the time for *any* team, it's not going to surprise me one bit to have *ANY* of our running backs traded at any point. We can certainly afford it and if we can get something nice in return, the Front Office shouldn't hesitate!

- The only other thing I had is echoing what Mikey said about small crowds and the quietness. I know Gailey mentioned something to the effect of the team not being sexy during the offseason, but this opener had one of the smallest and quietest crowds I've seen. There were oohs and ahs for Marshawn Lynch's couple of runs and for some of the runs Joique Bell had. But other than that, silence.

- In a way that was good. The Oline drills were close to me and I could hear what the coaches were saying. Another point Mikey made that I'd like to emphasize was the teaching. It happened right on the field. If a linemen made a mistake that allowed a potential sack to go thru, right then and there, he was shown what he did wrong, how he could have corrected it, and then they would repeat the drill with the same play to allow the lineman to test his correction and get it down. I thought that was one of the better changes I've noticed as compared to the Jauron era coaching.

That's all I had. Next week I'll attend again and make a report. I'm also trying to get into the VIP area for the night practices...If I can get my contact (friend of a friend) to come through for me. If not, I'll happily sit on the sidelines and record what I see from there...
                          Last edited by mysticsoto; 07-30-2010, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                            • Mar 2005

Mikey you make this place rock!! I look forward to this every year and I sincerely "thank you" for the articles and updates at camp. i always read your camp stuff first!!

As a side note Aaron Maybin is most likely going to be an issue. I was a workout warrior in HS and college and there is only so much mass you can put on a frame. The guy is too skinny, which was my problem.

I think we are potentially looking at one of the worst picks in a long time because at least picks like McCargo and Williams could at least get on the field.

I see Maybin contributing nothing at this point. Hope I'm wrong.

Comment

• dannyek71
                              Drink Responsibly
                              • Dec 2004

I boldly predict Roscoe will look amazing in camp once again.
                              [

Comment

Working...
                              X