PDA

View Full Version : Hangartner goes after Maybin

T-Long
07-30-2010, 10:03 AM
During run game drills Aaron Maybin knocked Fred Jackson to the ground at the tail end of a run play and Geoff Hangartner took umbrage.

The Bills center ran 15 yards across the field and grabbed Maybin throwing him to the ground and driving him backward.

There’s some fire here this morning. Players screaming at each other. Gotta love it.

~Chris Brown

DMBcrew36
07-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Maybin getting tossed like a *****? Sounds about right...

trapezeus
07-30-2010, 10:12 AM
perhaps i'm missing something as a non pro football player, but how in god's name do you get so worked up in practice to go after guys for someone else getting knocked down?

I get it and applaud it if you are playing another team, you have to stick up for your guy. i get it if you get hit after the play in practice or there is trash talk happening, but it blows my mind that you can protect your teammate from a teammate in practice. it seems odd.

but like i said, i'm not a player. i have no idea how competititve competitive is.

dasaybz
07-30-2010, 10:14 AM
That's the first time Handlebargartner has ever pancaked anyone.

chernobylwraiths
07-30-2010, 10:15 AM
perhaps i'm missing something as a non pro football player, but how in god's name do you get so worked up in practice to go after guys for someone else getting knocked down?

I get it and applaud it if you are playing another team, you have to stick up for your guy. i get it if you get hit after the play in practice or there is trash talk happening, but it blows my mind that you can protect your teammate from a teammate in practice. it seems odd.

but like i said, i'm not a player. i have no idea how competititve competitive is.

Maybe it has something to do with a guy who contributed almost nothing to the team last year knocking down the team MVP last year after the play was probably almost over.

ServoBillieves
07-30-2010, 10:17 AM
A lineman running 15 yards to smack a punk up? I like it! Maybin is a rookie at this camp, rookies to camp don't get to throw vets around. Did Maybin dance afterhe knocked Freddy over?

justasportsfan
07-30-2010, 10:19 AM

thats called having your teammates back who's part of your unit. At camp, trash talking is between D and O. Come gameday, you're on the same side.

Lexwhat
07-30-2010, 10:30 AM
As much as I hate Maybin's antics (don't like Hangartner much either), this is a good sign to see.

These players have been too soft for way too long, and this is exactly the way to create more "fire."

Jaybird
07-30-2010, 10:31 AM
Love it baby!!

This is football (i will keep on saying that). I like the fir of the O verus the D... Only makes them angry for gametime. I will never have an issue with an O loneman going after a defender to stick up for his boy

wmoz11
07-30-2010, 10:39 AM
This happens in every camp, whether you're in college or the pros. Our LBs used to crush our WRs running crossing routes even if the ball wasn't coming their way, illegally.

It was pretty common to have the offensive linemen start a melee. Happens at least a few times in camp.

It's not football season until it happens.

I've seen many players try to punch helmeted guys haha. That usually didn't work out too well.

justasportsfan
07-30-2010, 10:40 AM
I wonder if Maybin called Arrington for help.

SabreEleven
07-30-2010, 10:42 AM

Have you played any sports in your life?

BertSquirtgum
07-30-2010, 10:51 AM
maybin is a punk. he better do something good this year.

trapezeus
07-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Have you played any sports in your life?

just hockey and individual sports like tennis. I rarely recall fights breaking out in hockey practice. yeah, people hit you and you hit them back in practice, but i don't ever recall people fighting their own teammates because someone else took a run at someone else. if it was an issue, it was between those two people.

That's what confuses me with hangartner. if jackson was pissed and pushed back, fine jump in. but if it wasn't between jackson and maybin, why run over to push your own teammate down?

it's not that big a deal, it's just odd.

madness
07-30-2010, 11:03 AM

Hangartner protects (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/07/30/hangartner-protects/)

By Chris Brown - Posted July 30, 2010 – 10:52 am
Geoff Hangartner summed up his scrap with Maybin quite simply.
“You don’t hit our 1,000-yard rusher in the back when he’s not looking,” said Hangartner.
Maybin said he wasn’t surprised that the situation escalated.
“There’s never a dull moment and you knew sooner or later something was going to happen,” Maybin said.
The Bills center called the scrap with Maybin fun, and said there are no hard feelings afterwards.
“It’s over,” he said.

FlyingDutchman
07-30-2010, 11:06 AM
THATS THE SPIRIT! Now lets see that fire against a different team instead of getting blown into the backfield

ZAZusmc03
07-30-2010, 11:15 AM
I love stuff like this. Gets my pumped to see if it carrys over into the regular season. We need some fire.

madness
07-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Offensive line is getting nasty!

Things got a little heated at practice today, as some of the players used their shoulder pads to full advantage. In the team's 11-on-11 drill, outside linebacker Aaron Maybin took a shot in to Fred Jackson's back and knocked him down to the ground. Maybin was immediately pushed by guard Andy Levitre, and then starting center Geoff Hangartner took over.

Hangartner and Maybin locked up, grappling over to the sideline before the rest of the offense finally broke up the scrum.

http://www.wgr550.com/Bills--Camp-Gets-Physical/7808927

better days
07-30-2010, 11:25 AM
maybin is a punk. he better do something good this year.

What has he done to earn that name from you?

justasportsfan
07-30-2010, 11:28 AM
Maybin is a kid. They tend to let their emotions get to them . He'll learn.

ddaryl
07-30-2010, 11:30 AM
but lost in this is that it appears Maybin was chasing from the back... so basically he got burned and then took out his frustrations on an ill advised shove in the back to one of our best players.

Maybin better do something worth getting excited about this year...

DraftBoy
07-30-2010, 11:42 AM
just hockey and individual sports like tennis. I rarely recall fights breaking out in hockey practice. yeah, people hit you and you hit them back in practice, but i don't ever recall people fighting their own teammates because someone else took a run at someone else. if it was an issue, it was between those two people.

That's what confuses me with hangartner. if jackson was pissed and pushed back, fine jump in. but if it wasn't between jackson and maybin, why run over to push your own teammate down?

it's not that big a deal, it's just odd.

Can't speak about hockey but in football at least if the D takes a shot at one of the skill players that the OL deems to be unfair or over the line, the OL is usually quick to jump in and push the guy or start something. They are kind of the protectors of the field for the offense since they are the biggest guys out there. They are usually involved in the most scrums.

methos4ever
07-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Eric Wood has now ensured he's my favorite Bill until he leaves/retires:

The tenor remained tense for a few more hard-hitting plays. Then Bills guard Eric Wood expressed a different sentiment to Maybin, the 11th overall pick in last year's draft who didn't start a game and finished the season with nine solo tackles.

"Give back some of that money you ain't [expletive] earned!" Wood screamed at the defensive huddle.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/25283/maybin-cheap-shot-fires-up-bills-o-line

DraftBoy
07-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Eric Wood has now ensured he's my favorite Bill until he leaves/retires:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/25283/maybin-cheap-shot-fires-up-bills-o-line

That is awesome!

methos4ever
07-30-2010, 12:02 PM
That is awesome!
I'm all about the team period having the offense and defense hate each other, but Wood just went nuclear on Maybin with that!

DraftBoy
07-30-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm all about the team period having the offense and defense hate each other, but Wood just went nuclear on Maybin with that!

Maybin appears to have an air about him through interviews like he thinks he already proved something.

better days
07-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Maybin appears to have an air about him through interviews like he thinks he already proved something.

If it is an air of cockiness, I think that is a good thing.

Johnny Bugmenot
07-30-2010, 12:14 PM
What a stunning display of a lack of discipline. We're screwed.

TacklingDummy
07-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Too bad Hangartner didn't throw Maybin out of Buffalo.

djjimkelly
07-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Maybin getting tossed like a *****? Sounds about right...

hangartner 320 maybin 255 grow up hes gonna get tossed in a fight situation.

we should be happy maybin was back there to hit jackson!!!!

BertSquirtgum
07-30-2010, 12:21 PM
If it is an air of cockiness, I think that is a good thing.

he has no reason to be cocky.

DMBcrew36
07-30-2010, 12:22 PM
hangartner 320 maybin 255 grow up hes gonna get tossed in a fight situation.

we should be happy maybin was back there to hit jackson!!!!

Nah it's just like watching Maybin get rag-dolled like a ***** everytime he stepped on the field last year

BertSquirtgum
07-30-2010, 12:22 PM
What has he done to earn that name from you?

his celebrations last year for making a special teams tackle after the guy already ran for 20+ yards.

better days
07-30-2010, 12:23 PM
he has no reason to be cocky.

Agreed, but I think it is a personality trait myself, & a trait I would hope all Bills players would have.

justasportsfan
07-30-2010, 12:27 PM
What a stunning display of a lack of discipline. We're screwed.

lol. the bills were soft last year and yet they were the 8th most penalized team . I'd rather have a tough/aggressive team thats ranked 8th over 8th and still :limp:

Commissioner
07-30-2010, 12:43 PM

Spoke to my source via text.

He said "I can tell you for a fact he is not liked."

trapezeus
07-30-2010, 12:51 PM
man, it's one thing not to be liked but to be really good. it's another thing to be not liked and mediocre to below mediocre.

Griff
07-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Maybe it has something to do with a guy who contributed almost nothing to the team last year knocking down the team MVP last year after the play was probably almost over.

Fred Jackson is Jarius Byrd?

Griff
07-30-2010, 12:54 PM
Too bad Hangartner didn't throw Maybin out of Buffalo.

yeah cause its Maybin's fault that he was improperly and underused last year.

Commissioner
07-30-2010, 01:02 PM
man, it's one thing not to be liked but to be really good. it's another thing to be not liked and mediocre to below mediocre.

Maybin sounds like a guy who lives in his own world.... so it probably doesn't affect him.

psubills62
07-30-2010, 01:45 PM
My goodness, this really is the offseason to pile on Maybin. Most of you sound like he let the air out of your tires right before you were going to drive to the birth of your firstborn son. I don't understand all the absolute hatred towards a guy who has been given one year and part of an offseason to prove himself.

Yes, we all know he stunk last year. We all know he celebrated too much after meaningless tackles. Do you really still not have anything to talk about besides this? The offseason is way too long...come up with something new already, people.

For those who don't care about all the old, tired, recycled jokes at Maybin's expense, here's something else to read:

Maybin showed speed around the edge at times this morning. Reggie Torbor is bigger (even though they're both listed at 250), which is likely one reason why he's starting on first downs. He's stouter. On passing situations this morning, Torbor came out and Maybin came on with the starters. The Bills were using some four-man lines in passing situations, as the coaches have said they would do all along.

http://buffalonews.typepad.com/billboard/

justasportsfan
07-30-2010, 01:47 PM
My goodness, this really is the offseason to pile on Maybin. Most of you sound like he let the air out of your tires right before you were going to drive to the birth of your firstborn son. I don't understand all the absolute hatred towards a guy who has been given one year and part of an offseason to prove himself.

Yes, we all know he stunk last year. We all know he celebrated too much after meaningless tackles. Do you really still not have anything to talk about besides this? The offseason is way too long...come up with something new already, people.

For those who don't care about all the old, tired, recycled jokes at Maybin's expense, here's something else to read:

we shouldn't be giving him a pat on the back either after hitting Fred ..... Lynch already did that.

Homegrown
07-30-2010, 02:08 PM

Stick to yoga :clown:

justasportsfan
07-30-2010, 02:33 PM
here's the video

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/videos/Bills-Roundup-Morning-Scuffle-and-Highlights/fe9535f1-5a56-4faf-98a6-f4650ed802e1#?id=fe9535f1-5a56-4faf-98a6-f4650ed802e1

TacklingDummy
07-30-2010, 03:15 PM
yeah cause its Maybin's fault that he was improperly and underused last year.
The Bills already had an All-Prob water boy.

Philagape
07-30-2010, 04:02 PM

Thanks for your unbiased view, PSUbills ;)

Night Train
07-30-2010, 05:31 PM
Just saw the play on the news.

What a big bunch of nothing.

Conclusion - We are bored to tears

Nighthawk
07-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Just saw the play on the news.

What a big bunch of nothing.

Conclusion - We are bored to tears

Some people on this board need to relax and have a beer...

YardRat
07-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Not a good sign for Maybin that he's sitting on first downs.

wmoz11
07-30-2010, 05:52 PM
Not a good sign for Maybin that he's sitting on first downs.

It'd be far worse if he was sitting on obvious passing downs. At least he's coming in for those.

psubills62
07-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Thanks for your unbiased view, PSUbills ;)

I might not be as vocal if it were another kid, but I'd have the same sentiments no matter where the player came from. I've defended many guys by saying they deserve more time to see if they flourish (McCargo, Edwards, etc.). Fact is, I'm really not sure I've seen so many people here hate a guy so much as they hate Maybin.

I think a lot of people see Maybin as the epitomy of what the last regime became, which was inept. I'm not going to argue about Maybin's merits based on last season, because there are none. But come on...why do people pour so much hate into this one guy? People are seriously discussing cutting him?