PDA

View Full Version : Today's Morning Practice Summary

ghz in pittsburgh
07-30-2010, 01:10 PM
http://buffalonews.typepad.com/billboard/

Edwards had an interception in team work on an underneath pass for Roscoe Parrish. Edwards took too long to pull the trigger and veteran linebacker Andra Davis read his eyes and made the pickoff.

I've said before and I'll say it again: I have no problem with his check downs - positive plays are always good in my book. My problem is his indecisiveness, even just a slight bit, negates all his generally correct decision and accuracy. And the problem magnifies in crowded area, like the middle of the field against 3-4.

I think that's how opposing defense has been attacking him the last year and a half: trying to confuse him just enough so he hesitates a bit. If Trent wants to be a legit NFL starter, he needs to break through in this area.

wmoz11
07-30-2010, 01:13 PM
We're not going to dissect every INT thrown in camp, are we? He's still learning a new offense, of course there is going to be a period of adjustment and hesitation.

ghz in pittsburgh
07-30-2010, 01:15 PM
Remember Davis intercepted Edwards twice in that MNF (vs the Browns) two years ago. The 2nd one in that game was very similar to the sound of this one.

trapezeus
07-30-2010, 01:16 PM
it's early, but it's similiar to the past issues. they have to fix this or address it. this is what the practices are for.

HHURRICANE
07-30-2010, 01:18 PM
He's going to throw picks in practice.

Fitzpatrick had one Yesterday.

They all had them in OTAs.

I think you are reading in to this a little much.

Picks only happen three ways. You either throw it early, throw it late, or not on target.

Commissioner
07-30-2010, 01:22 PM
I've said before and I'll say it again: I have no problem with his check downs - positive plays are always good in my book. My problem is his indecisiveness, even just a slight bit, negates all his generally correct decision and accuracy.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

mayotm
07-30-2010, 01:30 PM
We're not going to dissect every INT thrown in camp, are we? He's still learning a new offense, of course there is going to be a period of adjustment and hesitation.Unfortunately, that's exactly what is going to happen all through training camp.

Goobylal
07-30-2010, 01:31 PM
it's early, but it's similiar to the past issues. they have to fix this or address it. this is what the practices are for.
I agree totally. Continuing to have the same problem (staring-down receivers, making decisions too late, etc.) is not a good sign.

Philagape
07-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Hopefully practicing against a 3-4 will finally teach him how to read a 3-4.

ddaryl
07-30-2010, 01:47 PM
I'll save judegement on this crap for preseason games....

training camp, especially day 2, is not the time to be nit picking an INT...

Ed
07-30-2010, 01:48 PM
I was just about to say, at least he finally gets to practice against a 3-4 D now. That should only help since the whole division runs a 3-4.

justasportsfan
07-30-2010, 01:49 PM
I was just about to say, at least he finally gets to practice against a 3-4 D now. That should only help since the whole division runs a 3-4.

with our luck, the pats are going to switch to 4-3 vs. bills and we're screwed.

trapezeus
07-30-2010, 01:53 PM
all i am saying is that...yes this is practice. but if he's making mistakes that he made before, the new staff has to find the solutions to it.

it's fine he threw the interception on day 2. however, they need to get to the root of the problem and not say, "oh its just one".

We all know he needs to be coached up

ddaryl
07-30-2010, 01:53 PM

and that can be a partial reason for this INT.. he is still adjusting to seeing a 3-4 in practice... in pads

djjimkelly
07-30-2010, 01:59 PM
We're not going to dissect every INT thrown in camp, are we? He's still learning a new offense, of course there is going to be a period of adjustment and hesitation.

im no edwards fan i have to agree let him fail at something meaningful before we rip him a new one

X-Era
07-30-2010, 02:13 PM
http://buffalonews.typepad.com/billboard/

Edwards had an interception in team work on an underneath pass for Roscoe Parrish. Edwards took too long to pull the trigger and veteran linebacker Andra Davis read his eyes and made the pickoff.

I've said before and I'll say it again: I have no problem with his check downs - positive plays are always good in my book. My problem is his indecisiveness, even just a slight bit, negates all his generally correct decision and accuracy. And the problem magnifies in crowded area, like the middle of the field against 3-4.

I think that's how opposing defense has been attacking him the last year and a half: trying to confuse him just enough so he hesitates a bit. If Trent wants to be a legit NFL starter, he needs to break through in this area.

He, and any other QB must have a mental clock. If they get to 3 seconds without throwing the ball, they should expect to be sacked. Trent should know better by now. He must fix this or he can never become a quality QB.

ghz in pittsburgh
07-30-2010, 02:26 PM
He, and any other QB must have a mental clock. If they get to 3 seconds without throwing the ball, they should expect to be sacked. Trent should know better by now. He must fix this or he can never become a quality QB.

I think he knows to get rid of the ball in that time frame normally. The problem is where? In general, the shorter the time, the more check down and dump offs you do and we've seen that.

In general, after 3 seconds, the defense should lock up its coverage then. The question is whether the QB can see it before that - say maybe in 2 seconds so he can prepare his throw by the 3rd second instead of still in the process of making decisions.

Commissioner
07-30-2010, 02:44 PM
I'd like to see Trent anticipate routes or passing windows better.

Peyton Manning throws to spots on the field all day long. The ball is usually in the air before his WR's even break.

justasportsfan
07-30-2010, 02:49 PM
I'd like to see Trent anticipate routes or passing windows better..:up:

I don't see Trent having the zip to do that on a consistent basis.

This is why I like the way the ball looks when Levi's balls are in the air.

Peyton Manning throws to spots on the field all day long. The ball is usually in the air before his WR's even break.

Manning has those timing throws down to a science.

TigerJ
07-30-2010, 04:46 PM
He's going to throw picks in practice.

Fitzpatrick had one Yesterday.

They all had them in OTAs.

I think you are reading in to this a little much.

Picks only happen three ways. You either throw it early, throw it late, or not on target.There is a fourth and perhaps a fifth way that you missed. The QB can missread coverage and think that a receiver is open when he actually is not. Defenses try to disguise coverage to make this scenario happen. The fifth way is when a QB telegraphs his throw by staring down the receiver. You might argue that the QB is too late on such a throw, but some times the play takes time to develop. The good QBs know how to look off the DBs and only comes back to the intended receiver after he's had time to reach his spot.

DraftBoy
07-30-2010, 04:58 PM
There is a fourth and perhaps a fifth way that you missed. The QB can missread coverage and think that a receiver is open when he actually is not. Defenses try to disguise coverage to make this scenario happen. The fifth way is when a QB telegraphs his throw by staring down the receiver. You might argue that the QB is too late on such a throw, but some times the play takes time to develop. The good QBs know how to look off the DBs and only comes back to the intended receiver after he's had time to reach his spot.

way 6 the ball gets deflected.

DraftBoy
07-30-2010, 05:00 PM
I think he knows to get rid of the ball in that time frame normally. The problem is where? In general, the shorter the time, the more check down and dump offs you do and we've seen that.

In general, after 3 seconds, the defense should lock up its coverage then. The question is whether the QB can see it before that - say maybe in 2 seconds so he can prepare his throw by the 3rd second instead of still in the process of making decisions.

I think you have this backwards, the more time that ticks by the more its an advantage to the receivers. DB's can only cover for so long, but the same is true for your OL blocking which is why most coaches yell sack at the 4 second mark if the QB is still holding the ball to simluate a rusher getting to the QB.