PDA

View Full Version : Jets extend Ryan...really???

Nighthawk
07-31-2010, 07:55 AM
This is why I don't see them doing as much as most experts think. The Jets organization is really buying into how "great" they are and this is a classic example of being overconfident. Why are you extending a coach who has just one season under his belt, a 9-7 season which they backed into the playoffs? I just don't get all the :drool: over this team? IMO, they are primed for a huge let down this year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81965ace/article/jets-sign-coach-ryan-gm-tannenbaum-to-contract-extensions?module=HP_headlines

mayotm
07-31-2010, 07:58 AM
This is why I don't see them doing as much as most experts think. The Jets organization is really buying into how "great" they are and this is a classic example of being overconfident. Why are you extending a coach who has just one season under his belt, a 9-7 season which they backed into the playoffs? I just don't get all the :drool: over this team? IMO, they are primed for a huge let down this year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81965ace/article/jets-sign-coach-ryan-gm-tannenbaum-to-contract-extensions?module=HP_headlinesHe certainly appears to be on the right track, but I agree that extending him is a bit premature. I've obviously always hated the Jets because they are a division rival. However, due to all the hype they are receiving, my hatred is growing daily.

Michael82
07-31-2010, 07:58 AM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81965ace/article/jets-sign-coach-ryan-gm-tannenbaum-to-contract-extensions?module=HP_headlines

I can't wait to see them fall flat on their face!

HHURRICANE
07-31-2010, 08:01 AM
We could be wrong, but extending this guy at this point is moronic.

I'll laugh my butt off if they go 8-8.

Nighthawk
07-31-2010, 08:04 AM
We could be wrong, but extending this guy at this point is moronic.

I'll laugh my butt off if they go 8-8.

Oh, there is no doubt that I may be wrong, but I did not see anything special about that team last year, at least not to the point where that team should be getting all of this run in the media? I'm sorry, but that organization is way to full of itself right now, especially when you think that they only had 3 more wins then the Bills last year.

mayotm
07-31-2010, 08:08 AM
Oh, there is no doubt that I may be wrong, but I did not see anything special about that team last year, at least not to the point where that team should be getting all of this run in the media? I'm sorry, but that organization is way to full of itself right now, especially when you think that they only had 3 more wins then the Bills last year.They will likely be pretty good. They did have the #1 defense last season. In addition, you would think that Sanchez will progress. On paper, they are a good team. That stated, many in the media calling them AFCE and even Super Bowl favorites is insane.

Philagape
07-31-2010, 09:15 AM
I think the hype is well-founded.
There's the No. 1 defense.
All-Pros at the most important o-line positions.
Offense loaded with weapons.
Sanchez played well in the playoffs as they went to AFC title game.
Where's the weakness?

Bills fans just being homers again.

better days
07-31-2010, 09:21 AM
I can't wait to see them fall flat on their face!

I can't wait to see their defense to put Brady flat on his face.

Nighthawk
07-31-2010, 11:49 AM
I think the hype is well-founded.
There's the No. 1 defense.
All-Pros at the most important o-line positions.
Offense loaded with weapons.
Sanchez played well in the playoffs as they went to AFC title game.
Where's the weakness?

Bills fans just being homers again.

Sorry, but where are the proven weapons on offense??? Sanchez was crap last year, Edwards has been average his entire career except one year and they got rid of their best RB. Holmes was a nice pickup from the Steelers, but please, your a little off base...and anybody on this board knows that I am not a homer. I would argue, besides the defense, where are they so strong??? They have a lot of unknowns that people are just assuming will be good...i.e. - Sanchez, RB, WR and so on. It isn't as much of a pretty picture as some like to make it out to be.

YardRat
07-31-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm expecting the Jets to crash-and-burn.

Billz_fan
07-31-2010, 12:44 PM
I think they will content for the division at least. They might not be super bowl material but time is the only thing that will tell that. It depends alot on Sanchez and the running game. If Sanchez plays well consistantly and they can keep producing on the ground minus the fellow (Jones) who led them in rushing then I think they do really well. Thats alot of "if's" in this league though.

psubills62
07-31-2010, 12:47 PM
I think they'll do about the same as last year, maybe 10-6. Sanchez will hold them back, imo. I don't know their roster terribly well, but they're pretty solid at all positions at the least. If injuries occur anywhere besides NT and the secondary, depth may become an issue. Sione Pouha actually improved the defense when he came in for the injured Kris Jenkins.

Luisito23
07-31-2010, 01:37 PM
Jets are a bunch of idiots, but at least they extended a coach that almost got them to the superbowl...We resigned Jauron after having a winning record during the regular season. Now that's stupid!

psubills62
07-31-2010, 02:07 PM
Jets are a bunch of idiots, but at least they extended a coach that almost got them to the superbowl...We resigned Jauron after having a winning record during the regular season. Now that's stupid!

And a winning record through 6 games at that.

Philagape
07-31-2010, 02:50 PM
Sorry, but where are the proven weapons on offense??? Sanchez was crap last year, Edwards has been average his entire career except one year and they got rid of their best RB. Holmes was a nice pickup from the Steelers, but please, your a little off base...and anybody on this board knows that I am not a homer. I would argue, besides the defense, where are they so strong??? They have a lot of unknowns that people are just assuming will be good...i.e. - Sanchez, RB, WR and so on. It isn't as much of a pretty picture as some like to make it out to be.

Some people don't need what others define as "proven" to form an opinion.
They got better as the season went on, they came within one game of the Super Bowl, and it's reasonable to believe they'll be better. Sanchez played like a rookie during the season but showed promise in the playoffs with four TDs and just two picks, all on the road. Shonn Greene ran for 263 yards in two playoff victories (any RB could do well behind that line anyway). They were wise to dump Jones before he broke down, which is inevitable. I'll take Edwards, Holmes and Cotchery as my receivers anyday.
The rhetoric here reminds me of some of the same bashing of the Patriots. If people disagree about the Jets, that's their right, but there is substance behind the hype.

dplus47
07-31-2010, 03:11 PM
I think the re-signing was a bit premature, but the crazy thing to me was the extension they gave their GM, Tannenbaum. He has put together a potentially volatile mix of players, and teams usually wait to see what happens in situations like that before extending the architect.

dplus47
07-31-2010, 03:17 PM
They were wise to dump Jones before he broke down, which is inevitable.

The problem is, IMO, that they replaced him with a guy who has been broken down for two years.

STRONG_BAD
07-31-2010, 06:40 PM
A lot of things fell the Jets way last year.....

Indy lying down for them, Getting the Titans in the middle of their 6 game losing streak, Getting a rusty Brady w/ no Welker in week 2, having an O-line w/ 35 straight starts, almost no injuries except for Jenkins (which happens every year), teams unfamiliar w/ Ryan and Sanchez' tendencies

They haven't drafted many guys in the last 2 years at all and I think their FA signings are a ploy to sell PSLs in the new stadium. Signing multiple big name FAs normally doesn't work. Time will tell.....

User Manuel
07-31-2010, 09:26 PM
Maybe Ralph gave them advice, hell, it worked with Jauron....

sdbillsfan2
07-31-2010, 10:30 PM
Seems to me Dick Jauron won "coach of the year" for one good year. We all know how his career turned out. I think the jet's pulled the trigger a little to quickly on this deal.
Yeah the Jets may be loaded with talent but say Sanchez sucks this year or get hurt ? I don't think they're so deep to be so confident

BillsWin
07-31-2010, 10:42 PM
I find it funny that we are laughing at the Jets for extending Ryan after a winning season when our organization resigned Dick Jauron after two 7-9 seasons and a 5-1 start.

That being said, I don't think Sanchez is that good and it has been proven time and time again that throwing high profile, expensive, aging free agents together does not guarantee success.

Philagape
07-31-2010, 11:06 PM
The problem is, IMO, that they replaced him with a guy who has been broken down for two years.

The replacement as their feature back is Greene. LT is just a complementary back.

dplus47
08-01-2010, 12:13 AM
The replacement as their feature back is Greene. LT is just a complementary back.
Jones + Greene > Greene + The Ghost of LT

Add that to a guy whose first year numbers are comparable to JaMarcus Russell's * (http://deadspin.com/5452869/mark-sanchez-is-the-new-jamarcus-russell-only-worse), and you have an offense that could be very good, but it could also end up being not-so-good.

BTW, I do think Sanchez will be better than Russel, but I think any player who played at USC under Carroll is going to have to prove he can work hard.

I agree with you that there are reasons for the hype, but I think most of those reasons are still on the defensive side of the ball. We'll see.

The * is because Russell's first year starting was his second year in the league, whereas Sanchez was a rookie. I guess that's why Sanchez played worse.

Mr. Pink
08-01-2010, 04:28 AM
What Sanchez does is pretty much immaterial. As long as he can protect the football and not make many mistakes the Jets will win ball games.

All he needs to do is be a steady game manager and the Jets are a playoff team.

Anyone can run behind that line, Shonn Greene will end up with a 1200 yard season with no problem. LT will show more this year than last just because the Jets line is better than the Chargers.

Not too mention the fact they have one of the top defenses in the NFL and one of, if not the premier, corners in the NFL. They added another corner is who good at covering receivers one on one in the offseason as well. Combine two shutdown corners with a team that can dial up the pressure, the Jets offense just needs to score 20 points per game to coast to a playoff spot.

The above is why Ryan got an extension.