PDA

View Full Version : Why we suck: McKelvin, Hardy, Poz, Lynch, Maybin, McCargo, Whitner

HHURRICANE
07-31-2010, 08:46 AM
For all the ripping on Edwards let's remember he was drafted in the 3rd round to be a backup and sit on the bench.

Look at the other guys:

Leodis McKelvin: 1st round pick that so far has been average at best.

James Hardy: 2nd round pick who has had zero impact on the field

Poluzney: 2nd round pick that has played average at best

Lynch: 1st round pick that was useless last year

Maybin: 1st round pich that hasn't seen the field

McCargo: 1st round pick that I can't believe he is still here

Whitner: 1st round bust.

You can all argue the merits of each player but not one of them has come close to playing where they got drafted. How Modrak is still here is mind-boggling.

SquishDaFish
07-31-2010, 08:48 AM
Dude will you give it a break already. Lets see what these players could do in a real system that is about football and not wearing dresses like the Jauron ***** era. Lets talk about whats going on and see what this team brings us THIS YEAR not PAST YEARS!

Novacane
07-31-2010, 09:00 AM
What does Edwards sucking have anything to do with any of those players? BTW.......Every player you listed gets ripped on this board, some of them bigtime!

Homegrown
07-31-2010, 09:01 AM
The OP as a point ... you can't afford to continually miss on 1st rounders.

SabreEleven
07-31-2010, 09:04 AM
And you can't constantly hire the Dick Jauron's as your head coach.

better days
07-31-2010, 09:07 AM
For all the ripping on Edwards let's remember he was drafted in the 3rd round to be a backup and sit on the bench.

Look at the other guys:

You can all argue the merits of each player but not one of them has come close to playing where they got drafted. How Modrak is still here is mind-boggling.

Modrack was & is a scout period. He was not & is not responsible for the drafting of any player.

Novacane
07-31-2010, 09:07 AM
The OP as a point ... you can't afford to continually miss on 1st rounders.

Absolutely! We've had that discussion a hundred times here. The Bills drafting has been terrible. Still have nothing to do with Trent Edwards. The thread starter seems to want people to not rip Trent for sucking because guys that were drafted higher than him suck too.

Night Train
07-31-2010, 09:22 AM
So, what's everyone doing for lunch ?

Novacane
07-31-2010, 09:36 AM

Grillin dogs and burgers. You?

Night Train
07-31-2010, 09:41 AM
Grillin dogs and burgers. You?

Outstanding. Great grilling day in WNY.

I had Salen dogs last night and may throw a steak on this afternoon. Split chicken breasts tonight.

HHURRICANE
07-31-2010, 09:43 AM
This isn't about or trying to defend Edwards. He's got pleanty of his own issues. My point is that alot of people are focusing on QB when if all of our high draft picks were panning out we wouldn't be so far in this predicament.

I just named 7 players that were picked in rounds 1 and 2 that are not helping us win.

Out of that entire group only Whitner has seen the field on a regular basis. How pathetic is that?

mayotm
07-31-2010, 09:46 AM
This isn't about or trying to defend Edwards. He's got pleanty of his own issues. My point is that alot of people are focusing on QB when if all of our high draft picks were panning out we wouldn't be so far in this predicament.

I just named 7 players that were picked in rounds 1 and 2 that are not helping us win.

Out of that entire group only Whitner has seen the field on a regular basis. How pathetic is that?You are out of your friggin' mind. Most of the players you listed get regularly bashed around here. Must be the days you are on the Pats message board.

Philagape
07-31-2010, 09:47 AM
The Levy-Jauron era is a lost decade for the franchise.

BillsWin
07-31-2010, 09:48 AM

Look at the other guys:

McKelvin- Probably better suited to play man coverage in the 3-4. Showed a lot of promise his rookie season and even some last year before he got hurt. Here we go again with putting a young player in the dog house because he's missed time due to injury. Not every player comes into this league as a pro bowler. I guarantee you if he stays healthy this season you'll be forced to take this comment back.

James Hardy-Of course he has made zero impact on the field. He hasn't been on it. Injuries have hampered his growth. I'm not really high on Hardy, but give the kid some more time. He was out all last season with a leg injury.

Poz- Are you really going to attack one of the more consistent guys on this roster? When healthy, Poz is a beast. A lot of people will agree that he may have a monster season this year in the 3-4.

Lynch- Can't argue with you there. He WAS useless last season. But by all indications from camp so far he came ready to ball this year. I dislike Lynch for his off the field issues and lack of passion last season, but he is still a 1,000 yard rusher and a pro bowl guy. I wouldn't put him on this list just yet. Let's see what he can do this season with all this pressure to achieve.

Maybin- Was a 21 year old rookie last season who was under sized and drafted into the wrong system. Of course he hasn't seen the field. BTW, this is year two. It's not like he's been in this league for 5 years and hasn't gotten on the field.

Here is some reading for you. Looks like he's finally making some plays with pads on. I remember last off season he made plays in rookie camp, not much in training camp, one or two in preseason. I hope a year older and a system he was built for will help him to see the field and have some success.

During 11-on-11 team work, the defensive ends were getting a consistent burst off the ball and putting pressure on all four quarterbacks. Most impressive was Aaron Maybin, who was effectively dipping his inside shoulder to slip underneath the offensive tackles he faced through the course of practice.
Maybin had a ‘would be’ sack on Edwards, got another pressure leaving the opposing tackle on his seat to force an incompletion.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Practice-Notes---Day-2/0bfbbc0d-a5e2-4189-b9d2-623c27f4349b

Aaron Maybin was in the backfield frequently, and tackles Jamon Meredith and Ed Wang were among those who took their lumps.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3279713

Some four-man line here, with Maybin at end. Really got into Wang.

Working on some blitz stuff now. Had Maybin practically in the slot, slid in, blitzed. He moves well.

twitter.com/BrianGalliford

One practice means nothing, but its good to see signs of life from this 22 YEAR OLD. Young guy. Plenty of time to mature, learn discipline and succeed in the NFL.

McCargo- Only guy on your little list I have no problems with being on there. McCargo is a bust. If you must use that word. But quit throwing it around so loosely. Some of the players you call busts actually see the field, or are young enough and have shown enough to possibly contribute.

Whitner- May be a lot of things, but a bust he is not. Has consistently seen playing time since his rookie season. Not a pro bowler, but solid enough to start. He hasn't been a liability, but he hasn't been an all star. Had we picked him 10-15 spots lower than 8th overall nobody would be on his case. He is not a bust. A bust can't see the field or start or even contribute. Whitner does those things. Does he live up to 8th overall? No. But he isn't awful like people say he is.

I'd say give these players some more time. Whitner and McCargo are the only ones you've listed that are what they are and probably won't change. A solid, yet not a pro bowl starting safety and a bust.

The rest of the guys are still young. So come off it. These threads are getting annoying.

HHURRICANE
07-31-2010, 09:50 AM
You are out of your friggin' mind. Most of the players you listed get regularly bashed around here. Must be the days you are on the Pats message board.

Wow, talk about taking something out of context. Read it again their bucko. I said that alot of people feel that a fix at QB will cure many of our woes when the issues run much deeper.

Where did I say these players get a free pass on this board?

mayotm
07-31-2010, 09:51 AM
Wow, talk about taking something out of context. Read it again their bucko. I said that alot of people feel that a fix at QB will cure many of our woes when the issues run much deeper.

Where did I say these players get a free pass on this board?You wrote, "look at the other guys". That certainly implies that people aren't paying attention to the other players you listed.

HHURRICANE
07-31-2010, 09:54 AM
McKelvin- Probably better suited to play man coverage in the 3-4. Showed a lot of promise his rookie season and even some last year before he got hurt. Here we go again with putting a young player in the dog house because he's missed time due to injury. Not every player comes into this league as a pro bowler. I guarantee you if he stays healthy this season you'll be forced to take this comment back.

James Hardy-Of course he has made zero impact on the field. He hasn't been on it. Injuries have hampered his growth. I'm not really high on Hardy, but give the kid some more time. He was out all last season with a leg injury.

Poz- Are you really going to attack one of the more consistent guys on this roster? When healthy, Poz is a beast. A lot of people will agree that he may have a monster season this year in the 3-4.

Lynch- Can't argue with you there. He WAS useless last season. But by all indications from camp so far he came ready to ball this year. I dislike Lynch for his off the field issues and lack of passion last season, but he is still a 1,000 yard rusher and a pro bowl guy. I wouldn't put him on this list just yet. Let's see what he can do this season with all this pressure to achieve.

Maybin- Was a 21 year old rookie last season who was under sized and drafted into the wrong system. Of course he hasn't seen the field. BTW, this is year two. It's not like he's been in this league for 5 years and hasn't gotten on the field.

Here is some reading for you. Looks like he's finally making some plays with pads on. I remember last off season he made plays in rookie camp, not much in training camp, one or two in preseason. I hope a year older and a system he was built for will help him to see the field and have some success.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Practice-Notes---Day-2/0bfbbc0d-a5e2-4189-b9d2-623c27f4349b

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3279713

twitter.com/BrianGalliford

One practice means nothing, but its good to see signs of life from this 22 YEAR OLD. Young guy. Plenty of time to mature, learn discipline and succeed in the NFL.

McCargo- Only guy on your little list I have no problems with being on there. McCargo is a bust. If you must use that word. But quit throwing it around so loosely. Some of the players you call busts actually see the field, or are young enough and have shown enough to possibly contribute.

Whitner- May be a lot of things, but a bust he is not. Has consistently seen playing time since his rookie season. Not a pro bowler, but solid enough to start. He hasn't been a liability, but he hasn't been an all star. Had we picked him 10-15 spots lower than 8th overall nobody would be on his case. He is not a bust. A bust can't see the field or start or even contribute. Whitner does those things. Does he live up to 8th overall? No. But he isn't awful like people say he is.

I'd say give these players some more time. Whitner and McCargo are the only ones you've listed that are what they are and probably won't change. A solid, yet not a pro bowl starting safety and a bust.

The rest of the guys are still young. So come off it. These threads are getting annoying.

Billswin I like and respect you but your entire rebuttal is filled with excuses.

Ngata and Orakpo seemed to figure how to stay healthy and play at a high level.

If we have injury prone players and they are not on the field its still a bad draft pick. There were concerns about Poz being able to stay healthy and look at how that has turned out.

Maybin's knock was he was too young and small. So far all true. Was Maybin good last night or was he playing against a fifth round tackle in his first practice?

tampabay25690
07-31-2010, 10:01 AM

Im getting ready to head out and GOLF...

BillsWin
07-31-2010, 10:01 AM
Billswin I like and respect you but your entire rebuttal is filled with excuses.

Ngata and Orakpo seemed to figure how to stay healthy and play at a high level.

If we have injury prone players and they are not on the field its still a bad draft pick. There were concerns about Poz being able to stay healthy and look at how that has turned out.

Maybin's knock was he was too young and small. So far all true. Was Maybin good last night or was he playing against a fifth round tackle in his first practice?

You're right. We can't keep making up excuses. But at the end of the day, youth and injuries aren't so much excuses as they are facts of the game.

If McKelvin has a break out season this year and stays healthy then all this is moot.

Same with Hardy and Maybin and the others.

Poz has broken his arm twice. I'm not sure that's so much injury prone as it is a spring of really bad luck.

I'm done making excuses for the players after this season though. McKelvin's third year. Poz has been a starter since he came into the league, Hardy's third season. Maybin's second year (should at the very least show improvement).

Remake this thread next July and I might agree with you.

BillsWin
07-31-2010, 10:02 AM
Oh, and I like and respect you too HH. Hug it out?

lol.

mayotm
07-31-2010, 10:08 AM
Im getting ready to head out and GOLF...Pretty brave in the heat down here. It's brutal.

DraftBoy
07-31-2010, 10:24 AM
Im making chicken and rice for lunch.

BillsWin
07-31-2010, 10:31 AM
Im making chicken and rice for lunch.

Any sauce? Chicken and rice can get dry.

DraftBoy
07-31-2010, 10:32 AM
Any sauce? Chicken and rice can get dry.

Frank's Red Hot

Dr. Lecter
07-31-2010, 11:14 AM

Look at the other guys:

A few of your assessments are flat out wrong.

Mckelvin? Really? This guy is going to tear it up in this defense.

Whitner is not a bust. He was picked too high, but is not a bust. TO say he is a bust is stupid.

Poz? Better than average, but not great.

Hardy? Missed a year with injury although he is sliding into bust territory quickly if he does not produce now.

And of course, you throw in an excuse for your boy Trent.

You were wrong about the ST sucking last year and you are wrong again.

At least when somebody like Op *****es, he has something to back it up.

New Ro's Greatest
07-31-2010, 11:18 AM
The last 2 players your absolutely right about. GO BILLS:nervous:

cookie G
07-31-2010, 11:28 AM

Look at the other guys:

For some reason, they thought Edwards was the future of the franchise, and could have drafted Flacco in 2008. Essentially, they bypassed him (taking McLovin), in favor of Edwards.

Ngata, Flacco...I'm really getting tired of Ozzie Newsome taking our draft picks.

Ebenezer
07-31-2010, 11:33 AM
I thought they sucked because they didn't practice in full pads.

YardRat
07-31-2010, 11:38 AM

Look at the other guys:

Edwards is what he is, unfortunately...he's good enough to be carried by the rest of the team, but certainly not vice versa, and that's only if he can regain some confidence.

Hardy contributing anything other than minimally is probably wishful thinking.

Whitner is adequate/average...not the impact player one would like to have at #9, but not a scrub/bust either.

Lynch is a punk.

I have high hopes for the POS, McKelvin, and maybe even Maybin with the switch. We'll see.

McCargo's a bust and probably won't even make the team without a rash of injuries.

TacklingDummy
07-31-2010, 11:38 AM
Dude will you give it a break already. Lets see what these players could do in a real system that is about football and not wearing dresses like the Jauron ***** era. Lets talk about whats going on and see what this team brings us THIS YEAR not PAST YEARS!
Systems don't make the player, players make the system.

better days
07-31-2010, 11:39 AM
I thought they sucked because they didn't practice in full pads.

No, not practicing in pads was just one example of terrible coaching, not the cause.

Ebenezer
07-31-2010, 11:42 AM
No, not practicing in pads was just one example of terrible coaching, not the cause.
no, we've been told numerous times about the lack of pads...

TacklingDummy
07-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Remake this thread next July and I might agree with you.
Until the players prove otherwise, HH is right.

QB is the biggest problem though.

DraftBoy
07-31-2010, 12:02 PM
Edwards is Dilfer, that's the best comparison Ive seen thus far. He won't lose you a game too often but he won't win many either.

better days
07-31-2010, 12:16 PM
Edwards is Dilfer, that's the best comparison Ive seen thus far. He won't lose you a game too often but he won't win many either.

They both enjoy playing golf. Maybe to the detriment of their football careers. Other than that they have little in common. For one thing Dilfer was durable, not injury prone.

OpIv37
07-31-2010, 12:25 PM

Look at the other guys:

Disagree on McKelvin. He will contribute if he stays healthy.

I agree on the rest. And if you have the stomach for it, go back and look at the drafts to see who was taken AFTER these jokers, and think about how good we'd be with those guys instead.

Modrak absolutely should have been fired.

ServoBillieves
07-31-2010, 12:26 PM
Im getting ready to head out and GOLF...

I'm feeling that too, gotta finish up some yardwork. Work at 5 though, so would only be able to squeeze in 9 holes.

Ebenezer
07-31-2010, 12:33 PM

When everybody was calling for TD's head and I was saying that nothing would change without an overhaul where was the support? I still contend that TD, for the most part, was not the problem. He was doing his job of putting fans in the seats and making the team money. The only way Modrak was able to keep his job, I think, is if he wasn't actually active in who made the final picks.

better days
07-31-2010, 12:33 PM

I agree on the rest. And if you have the stomach for it, go back and look at the drafts to see who was taken AFTER these jokers, and think about how good we'd be with those guys instead.

I don't understand you guys that blame Modrick. He was NOT GM & had NO SAY in the draft. You should blame the proper person, Jauron. He was responsible for the 1st rnd picks at the very least. Modrick was & is a scout only & nobody on this board ever read his reports.

JCBills
07-31-2010, 12:56 PM
I always get a good chuckle when people say Poz is average or sucks.

TacklingDummy
07-31-2010, 01:36 PM

Sorta like how he contributed for New England last year?

mayotm
07-31-2010, 02:14 PM
Sorta like how he contributed for New England last year?Just because he made a bad play against NE, doesn't mean he's a bad player. Besides, the Bills were going to go three and out and give NE the ball back with around a minute to play. What do you think Brady would have done?

Dr. Lecter
07-31-2010, 02:44 PM
Sorta like how he contributed for New England last year?
Yes he made a bad play. He sucks.

Brady threw a int to end a game against the Colts in the playoffs once too.

He sucks.

HHURRICANE
07-31-2010, 02:59 PM
A few of your assessments are flat out wrong.

Mckelvin? Really? This guy is going to tear it up in this defense.

Whitner is not a bust. He was picked too high, but is not a bust. TO say he is a bust is stupid.

Poz? Better than average, but not great.

Hardy? Missed a year with injury although he is sliding into bust territory quickly if he does not produce now.

And of course, you throw in an excuse for your boy Trent.

You were wrong about the ST sucking last year and you are wrong again.

At least when somebody like Op *****es, he has something to back it up.

I know you are not a big HH fan and look for any reason to bash me but c'mon.

I like how McKelvin "is going to tear it up" obviously because he hasn't yet. This is the problem. We'd be great if the playoffs were based on potential.

Whitner is a miss pick. Is he even going to win the starter job? What round did we take Byrd in? Your first round pick should be better than sericeable.

Poz is "better than average" based on what? Two broken arms and groin surgery for a guy who has yet to dominate a single game.

Where are you getting that special teams were good last year. We were 10th in kick returns and 25th in punt returns. Take out Moorman and Lindell (no coaching required) and I'd like to see how bad our coverage numbers were.

TacklingDummy
07-31-2010, 03:12 PM
Preach on.

mayotm
07-31-2010, 03:21 PM
Why am I not surprised that you are are referring to yourself in the third person?

YardRat
07-31-2010, 03:37 PM
Why am I not surprised that you are are referring to yourself in the third person?

YardRat isn't surprised, either.

Dr. Lecter
07-31-2010, 09:45 PM

I like how McKelvin "is going to tear it up" obviously because he hasn't yet. This is the problem. We'd be great if the playoffs were based on potential.

Whitner is a miss pick. Is he even going to win the starter job? What round did we take Byrd in? Your first round pick should be better than sericeable.

Poz is "better than average" based on what? Two broken arms and groin surgery for a guy who has yet to dominate a single game.

Where are you getting that special teams were good last year. We were 10th in kick returns and 25th in punt returns. Take out Moorman and Lindell (no coaching required) and I'd like to see how bad our coverage numbers were.

Well, Moorman and Lindell are part of the the STs so taking them out of the equation would be stupid. Not sure how it makes sense in anybody's mind to do so.

Anyhow, in case you missed/ignored it the first time:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/stories/021410dnspospecialteams.3df2052.html

Yeah, Poz is better than average. Has he been great? No. But he has been one of the few players on defense that has shown ability.

Whitner is starting. Dr. Lecter know's you are behind on this stuff, but he is the starter. And Dr.Lecter already acknowledged that he is not worthy of his draft status. But he is not a bust. Bust is a term used for Mike Williams. Erik Flowers. Probably Maybin. Booker Moore. Eric Richardson. Perry Tuttle. Ruben Gant. And so on.

As for McKelvin, no doubt it is about potential now. Never said otherwise. But you are totally counting him out.

BTW, funny how Poz's injuries are a big factor for him, but Trent's injuries are not a big deal in your mind, BTW.

Dr. Lecter noticed that one!

HHURRICANE
07-31-2010, 10:21 PM
Well, Moorman and Lindell are part of the the STs so taking them out of the equation would be stupid. Not sure how it makes sense in anybody's mind to do so.

Anyhow, in case you missed/ignored it the first time:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/stories/021410dnspospecialteams.3df2052.html

Yeah, Poz is better than average. Has he been great? No. But he has been one of the few players on defense that has shown ability.

Whitner is starting. Dr. Lecter know's you are behind on this stuff, but he is the starter. And Dr.Lecter already acknowledged that he is not worthy of his draft status. But he is not a bust. Bust is a term used for Mike Williams. Erik Flowers. Probably Maybin. Booker Moore. Eric Richardson. Perry Tuttle. Ruben Gant. And so on.

As for McKelvin, no doubt it is about potential now. Never said otherwise. But you are totally counting him out.

BTW, funny how Poz's injuries are a big factor for him, but Trent's injuries are not a big deal in your mind, BTW.

Dr. Lecter noticed that one!

Okay this is funny. No stats to backup a bunch of high picks playing below their picks but than you pull some arbitrary Dallas article rating special teams.

I can go to the official NFL site and see how we rank on KRs and PRs. 10th and 25th. If I remember right we weren't too hot on coverage last year so I'm not sure how we got to #3 overall unless this article was just based on Moorman and Lindell which....is what is it sounds like.

Bottom line is that a #8 PICK OVERALL has to contirbute greater than what Whitner has done. Same with Poz, same with McKelvin, same with McCargo, same with Maybin etc., etc., etc.

By the way if you watch Mystico's video you can see that Maybin was completely unblocked on his great rushing night. Lecter you could have got to the QB.

Dr. Lecter
07-31-2010, 10:27 PM
I don't like Maybin. Never did. Hated the pick

Those ST ratings are done every year by the Dallas paper and highly respected.

JCBills
07-31-2010, 10:28 PM

Yeah, everyone knows Poz was trying to break his arm, that's the plan. Tons of players have surgery in the offseason, but alright. MLB is the hardest position to play in the Tampa 2. Poz's play has been better than most, if not near the top of the NFL. He averages less yds allowed when making a tackle than overrated Mayo (need to find that article), and Poz's reads were flipped most of the time. Very, very hard to do. He was also one of two ILBs to create 6 turnovers last season. He's a sure tackler, he hits hard, and he's better than most in coverage. I don't know what people want from the guy when he had little to no help.

HHURRICANE
07-31-2010, 10:34 PM
Yeah, everyone knows Poz was trying to break his arm, that's the plan. Tons of players have surgery in the offseason, but alright. MLB is the hardest position to play in the Tampa 2. Poz's play has been better than most, if not near the top of the NFL. He averages less yds allowed when making a tackle than overrated Mayo (need to find that article), and Poz's reads were flipped most of the time. Very, very hard to do. He was also one of two ILBs to create 6 turnovers last season. He's a sure tackler, he hits hard, and he's better than most in coverage. I don't know what people want from the guy when he had little to no help.

I don't understand how injures get a pass. Yes, it's bad luck but it's still a crappy pick if the guy you pick never sees the field or gets limited playing time.

If I hire a sales guy and he gets sick and can't do his job it's still on my ass.

I'd rather have the front office be lucky than good at this point.

I mentioned 7 picks in the 1st and 2nd rounds and none of them have lived up to their draft slot. That's a fact so what are we arguing about?

Dr. Lecter
07-31-2010, 10:39 PM
They were 6th in net punting (good coverage)

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/sortableStatsTeam?div=NFL&sortType=offense&table=punting&stat=puntNet&dir=descending&seasonState=regular

Dr. Lecter
07-31-2010, 10:40 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/returning/sort/yardsPerKickReturn/position/defense

9th in KO coverage.

JCBills
07-31-2010, 11:06 PM
I don't understand how injures get a pass. Yes, it's bad luck but it's still a crappy pick if the guy you pick never sees the field or gets limited playing time.

If I hire a sales guy and he gets sick and can't do his job it's still on my ass.

I'd rather have the front office be lucky than good at this point.

I mentioned 7 picks in the 1st and 2nd rounds and none of them have lived up to their draft slot. That's a fact so what are we arguing about?

Poz has easily played up to his draft slot, if not at a 1st round level. If it was a nagging injury with something a bit more complicated, then yeah, get mad at the FO for investing in damaged goods. Arm breaks are kind of freak incidents. The second time he only missed 4 weeks, and boy did he look pissed knowing it was broken, not like it was his choice to get put on IR as a rookie, he could have played that year, I'd thank Jauron for that one. He didn't miss a game in 08, and improved on his numbers in almost every category, both in metrics and base statistics in 4 less games. He'll shine even more in the 3-4, it cuts down on his responsibilities so he should be able to get loose a bit more often. Even in the 4-3 he was a top notch MLB over the last two seasons.

Mr. Pink
07-31-2010, 11:09 PM
Here's the real problem...

Outside of the busts which there are a few of them...

We drafted guys HIGH in the draft, meaning they're supposed to be impact players. This roster has ZERO impact players. Not a one. Maybe Spiller changes that, maybe he doesn't.

Whitner for where he was drafted was an absolutely horrid pick. His value vs selection isn't even close. He's a bust because he was picked that high, what he really is, is a serviceable player.

McKelvin for when he's been healthy....serviceable player.

Lynch...serviceable player.

POS....serviceable player.

You can't keep turning high draft picks into serviceable players. You need to make an impact out of your high draft picks. These guys are supposed to be players you build around.

Honestly, who do you build around on this team? Who's indispensable?

Besides Brian Moorman.

YardRat
08-01-2010, 12:22 AM
It's generally accepted that teams have to hit on first-rounders and those players have to be impact players, but it's interesting to look at the Super Bowl rosters and where/how those players were drafted or acquired.

Kelly was a #1 hit, but he wasn't even the top choice on the Bills board when their first pick came up.

Thomas-second. Reed-fourth. Hull-FA, basically. Tasker-waivers. Lofton-waivers. Beebe-third. The spots where the Bills of that era 'excelled' with first-rounders on offense were the line, with Ritcher, Wolford, maybe Fina.

Bruce Smith-granted. Conlan-OK, but realistically only the third best LB on his own team. Bennett-trade. Odomes-second. Leonard Smith-trade. No other first-rounders on defense that I can think of off of the top of my head, from the '90 roster anyway.

We actually drafted one bonafide stud on each side of the ball in the first round (Kelly and Smith), but the vast majority of the glory year's players were taken in the second round or later, or acquired via other means.

It isn't just a matter of missing in the first round...we've been coming up short acquiring actual talent from every angle.

SaviorEdwards
08-01-2010, 01:00 AM
dont forget that bust Roscoe Parrish 'hhuricane'