X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

BillsZone Training Camp Report: 7/30/2010

Day two of the Buffalo Bills training camp is now complete. The team had just one open practice at night as the morning session was closed to the public. It was the first night practice of the year! Unlike yesterday, the stands were actually full and the fans were excited. It's always a bit different when the team practices under the lights at Growney Stadium. The atmosphere is closer to a pre-season game than just a training camp practice. On the field, the winner of the day was the defense. They were aggressive and gave the offensive line fits all day. As always, the team worked on individual drills, 7-on-7, 11-on-11 and also spent some time kicking field goals.

To start the evening off, the team spent time working on gap assignments. The first team defense lined up against the second and third team defense on one side of the field. On the other side, the starting offense lined up against the second and third team offense. Once the starters get their reps in, they switch places with the backups. This drill helps get everybody set up to where they have to be for the play and they run several different plays at half speed. This also is a nice starter drill for the players to warm up with......

• Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: BillsZone Training Camp Report: 7/30/2010

Sorry it took so long, but I had to work last night and was spending time typing the report up and uploading photos. Let me know what you think. Some of this should contradict other reports about Trent and the QBs looking good.

Comment

• Michael82
      • Jul 2002

Here's my photos from the practice. Man, I hate my camera when it's dark outside. Kodak cameras suck in the dark. Anyone wanna loan me some money for a new Canon?

Comment

• hammerbillsfan
        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Mikey82
        Here's my photos from the practice. Man, I hate my camera when it's dark outside. Kodak cameras suck in the dark. Anyone wanna loan me some money for a new Canon?

want to buy my old one?

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

Your effort is nothing short of outstanding.

Never say your sorry for all that work and information.
          Last edited by Night Train; 07-31-2010, 11:27 AM.
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by hammerbillsfan
            want to buy my old one?
            Which one is that?

Comment

• hammerbillsfan
              • Aug 2005

Which one is that?
              the one i have now, Canon S5

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
                Your effort is nothing short of outstanding.

Never say your sorry for all that work and information.
                Thank you very much for the kind words.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

As always a great report!

Two reports, two positive Joique Bell reports!
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Michael82
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                    As always a great report!

Two reports, two positive Joique Bell reports!
                    And Antonio Coleman who you were also a fan of...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

And Antonio Coleman who you were also a fan of...
                      Pure baseless guesses, I dont watch football.
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                        The Voice of Reason
                        • Jul 2007

Not sure if anyone knows, but what's with the mesh red/yellow/orange stuff some players had on their helmets? Are those markers for plays or what does that indicate.

Oh and good job per usual Mikey
                        Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• mysticsoto
                          Too sober for this...
                          • Apr 2004

Well, while Mikey continues to write such great articles, there's no reason to repeat what he says. I was able to get into the VIP tents yesterday as a last minute substitute for another friend. It was pretty cool. Anyway, here were my observations. I got there a little late, so I missed the beginning:

- Secondary practiced exercise drills in the other field and catching. But the balls were not thrown at them. They had to run backwards as they might do when a WR begins to take off and then they had to turn around and go after the ball. We have a fast secondary...and it showed later on the 7 on7s and 11 on 11s...

- Later, Ellis Lankster had a nice diving pass breakup

- Cary Harris had a nice diving interception off a badly thrown ball

- I thought the pace was slow when I first got there, but then things picked up. Chan had them doing alot of 7 on 7s and 11 on 11s throughout the night.

- I noticed that STs practiced a quick lining up almost as a last minute decision. This is the 2nd time they practice that. I'm guessing they will catch some team unprepared during the year and force them to use a time out!

- 49 and 52 yard FGs were practiced with a full rush coming at Lindell. All FGs were made.

- There was full contact as the Oline and Dline faced, though not to much on RB, WRs or QBs. At one point, Reggie Torbor clearly had a sack on Brohms and Brohms knew it!

- Maybin did collect an interception from a flubbed pass from Brohm.

- Trent had some decent throws here and there. But there are times he still holds on to the ball too long.

- Trent got an inordinate amount of reps over the others. He had a nice pass to Chad Jackson across the middle for a nice gain.

- On one throw, Lee Evans stopped abruptly and fooled Drayton Florence into thinking he was going long. A late and poorly thrown ball (don't remember who threw it) did not get there as he stopped however, and a quick recovery by Florence allowed him to bat it down once it finally got there.

- Lynch was again a star breaking tackles and making cuts to find open lanes.

- Joique Bell was into the secondary almost every time he ran before he could get touched!

- Chad Simpson will make an excellent #2 RB somewhere!

Some Oline observations:

While everyone focused on the QBs, RBs, WRs, and TEs I stayed by myself and watched the Oline do their drills against the Dline. I took careful notes to note who was beat and who struggled.

Overall, the Oline did not have a good day. Especially at Left Tackle, though Jamon Meredith will hopefully not be called on to start on the left side. He is having alot of problems with almost everyone - except Maybin.

Individual reports:

- Cornell Green did fairly well against Ellis and Stroud.
                          - Eric Wood had trouble containing Torell Troup.
                          - Hangartner shutdown Troup twice! I'm very impressed with Hangartner so far. He seems to have turned it up a notch!
                          - Levitre was pushed back twice by Kyle Williams. He has not had a good camp so far.
                          - Nick Hennessey struggled against and could not contain Alex Carrington.
                          - Kirk Chambers had what would have been a holding penalty and subsequently fell down on the next try allowing what would have been an open shot at the qb. At this point, I'm not sure that Chambers is a serviceable backup anymore.
                          - Cordaro Howard struggled to contain Rashaad Duncan.
                          - Ed Wang easily stopped and shutdown Maybin and also stopped Antonio Coleman twice. I didn't think Wang did well yesterday, but today he looked much better.
                          - Kyle Calloway held his own against Marcus Stroud but later gave up a sack to Chris Ellis.
                          - Andre Ramsey was left in the dust as Troup blew by him. Later he redeemed himself a bit and contained for a reasonable amount of time.
                          - Christian Gaddis once again did well stopping Dwan Edwards and then shutting down Troup twice. I am becoming reasonably comfortable with our Centers!

Afterwards, I got a chance to talk to a few players who came by to sign autographs.

When Troup came by, I asked him what was the thing he found most challenging in coming to the NFL and the team. He just looked at me and thought about it for a second. Then he answered, "I can honestly say that the school I went to prepared me very well...I'm not finding anything too hard." The tone of voice he used was soft and quite humble also. And though he had his uniform on, I can honestly say I doubt he has the man-boobs that that picture of Cody posted last week had. Sure he's not as big, but he looks to be in pretty good shape despite his size and I think he will be a nice attacking NT rather than just a space eater.

I also talked to Bryan Scott, another nice soft spoken guy. I asked him what stood out in the transition to Chan Gailey and his way of doing things. Bryan seemed puzzled for a second on how to answer that and asked me, "Only one?" With the limited time that I have with him as he's signing and moving on, I said, "What would you consider the most significant?" He took some time to sign a few more things as he thought about the question, then turned to me and said with finality, "He's detail oriented!". I responded, "He doesn't let anything slide?" Bryan shook his head, "Everything gets addressed!". He did not say this in a way that made Chan sound anal or annoying. In fact, he seemed to like it as though that was better preparing them.
                          Last edited by mysticsoto; 07-31-2010, 03:55 PM.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

To Mikey or Mystic any word on Lonnie Harvey and how he looks? Is he getting a push or standing up at the POA?
                            COMING SOON...

Comment

• mysticsoto
                              Too sober for this...
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                              To Mikey or Mystic any word on Lonnie Harvey and how he looks? Is he getting a push or standing up at the POA?
                              I checked my notes and didn't have anything on him, so apparently he didn't do anything that caught my attention. I'll keep my eye on him in the future...

Comment

Working...
                              X