• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

McKelvin not having good Saturday as punt returner

From Sal Maiorana's twitter:
    Leodis McKelvin has dropped two punts in a row. Can we please just give that job to the man who's one of the best in the NFL? Roscoe Parrish.

http://twitter.com/salmaiorana
    I'm a huge McKelvin supporter. I think he can be a really, really good NFL CB. I also like him as a return man....but Sal's right that Parrish needs to be the guy until/unless Leodis can show something really special. He's too valuable as a CB. He can return kickoffs. I have no problem with that.
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Re: McKelvin not having good Saturday as punt returner

Originally posted by Coach Sal
    From Sal Maiorana's twitter:

I'm a huge McKelvin supporter. I think he can be a really, really good NFL CB. I also like him as a return man....but Sal's right that Parrish needs to be the guy until/unless Leodis can show something really special. He's too valuable as a CB. He can return kickoffs. I have no problem with that.
    Why are they even trying LM back there?? He needs to become the best CB he can...he doesn't need to return punts, too.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Goobylal
      • Jan 2004

Spiller should be doing both.

Comment

• tampabay25690
        • Feb 2004

Its training camp....
        You still need a few guys to do it..
        GO Gators!!!!!!
        GO GATORS!!

Comment

• psubills62
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by tampabay25690
          Its training camp....
          You still need a few guys to do it..
          McKelvin also had 7 punt return TD's in college. That was actually his specialty, not kick returns.
          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Homegrown
            Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Ebenezer
            Why are they even trying LM back there?? He needs to become the best CB he can...he doesn't need to return punts, too.
            Don't know why not ... Deon & Rod Woodson were both the best CB's and PR during their day ...I'm sure there are others if I had the initiative to look it up.

Comment

• Tiburon1724
              • Sep 2005

McKelvin shoulda been thrown out onto the street after losing the Pats game last year.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                Unreachable Douche
                • Jul 2002

He doesn't belong on return teams. We don't need a Jason Sehorn.

Kick returns should be for guys like Parrish. If he gets hurt the only loss is in the return game.
                Last edited by TacklingDummy; 07-31-2010, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

Give me a steady back-up that can field the ball and get a few yards on returns without fumbling every day of the week. KR and PR TD's are as exciting as any play in the game, but I'll take big plays on offense and defense first.
                  Last edited by YardRat; 08-01-2010, 12:47 AM.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Coach Sal
                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Tiburon1724
                    McKelvin shoulda been thrown out onto the street after losing the Pats game last year.
                    How ridiculous.

Yes, because Leodis McKelvin (in the first game of only his 2nd year at the time, by the way) is the ONLY player to ever fumble in a crucial situation.

I wonder if Vikes fans make such stupid comments about Adrian Peterson, who is known to have a fumbling issue? Forget it.....I'm sure some probably do.
                    Click to listen:

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Coach Sal
                      How ridiculous.

Yes, because Leodis McKelvin (in the first game of only his 2nd year at the time, by the way) is the ONLY player to ever fumble in a crucial situation.

I wonder if Vikes fans make such stupid comments about Adrian Peterson, who is known to have a fumbling issue? Forget it.....I'm sure some probably do.
                      Sal it wasn't the fumble. It was the poor decision he made and not recognizing that the game was in a critical place. The game was devastating.

McKelvin hasn't proven to me that their is a brain insde that helmet.

Comment

• Coach Sal
                        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                        Sal it wasn't the fumble. It was the poor decision he made and not recognizing that the game was in a critical place. The game was devastating.

McKelvin hasn't proven to me that their is a brain insde that helmet.
                        I know he made a bad decision.

So did Jim Kelly several times towards the ends of games, especially early in his career, which caused INTs.

Go watch Brett Favre's first few years in the NFL and some of the stupid things he did with the game on the line. Hell, he even did it last year after a HOF career and at 40 years old.

Adrian Peterson probably has fumbled a time or two in a spot where he should have known to secure the ball better in a critical situation.

Probably almost every single person who's ever played pro sports has made a bad decision at some point in their careers. Some have been more costly to their teams than others.

It just amazes me that this 23 year old kid, making that one play, in an opening game of a season in which we were an average team at best when it's all said and done, receives such ire from fans when there have been thousands of really bad physical and mental plays by this team over the last ten years which have cost us games and arguably even shots at playoff spots.

You think I'm not upset about it? Of course I am. But HE TRIED TO DO TOO MUCH AND SCREWED UP!! That's it. You can hang him from the cross for the rest of his career or hope he learned from it and work with him to not let it happen again. Obviously, most here choose the former. I don't. Call me crazy, but I actually think it's possible to teach people, to coach them, and to let them grow before doing that. I know, I must be a crazy old coach for thinking that way, huh?

I really honestly believe that most people, the more I read boards like this, have never, ever played competitive sports in their lives and think it's either fantasy football or a game of Madden and it's just sooooooo easy. Like, "well, I can avoid that from happening on Madden '10, why can't he?!"

Yes, let's just cut Leodis McKelvin because he had a major screw-up. Let's "throw him out on the street." No one in the history of the NFL has EVER screwed up like that. He's the only one. Ever.
                        Last edited by Coach Sal; 08-01-2010, 12:40 PM.
                        Click to listen:

Comment

• Ebenezer
                          Give me a minute...
                          • Jul 2002

Sal, while I agree with what you are saying I think LM has a LONG way to go just to be average. I don't see him being anything but slightly above average. I hope I am wrong.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Coach Sal
                            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                            Sal, while I agree with what you are saying I think LM has a LONG way to go just to be average. I don't see him being anything but slightly above average. I hope I am wrong.
                            Fine. No problem with that. I disagree and think he'll be a very good NFL CB. But I could be wrong, as well.

But if we get rid of him because he made a (admittedly very bad) mistake less than 3 years into his NFL career, as some are actually suggesting here, we'll never know how good he'd ever be in a Bills uniform, will we?

I just can't believe some people are so re-actionary that they want to judge the entire career of a young man, before it even really begins, on a play he made 17 games into it.

Sorry, but I think that's just so ludicrous.
                            Click to listen:

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by YardRat
                              Give me a steady back-up that can field the ball and get a few yards on returns without fumbling every day of the week. KR and PR TD's are as exciting as any play in the game, but I'll take big plays on offense and defense first.
                              The problem has been, aside from the 98 yd TD from Fitz to TO there were no big exciting plays from either the offense or defense.

That may be the reason both Rosco & Leodis looked bad last year, they were trying to do too much, knowing the offense was not good for much of anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X