PDA

View Full Version : Undersized Williams plays big-man's game

YardRat
08-01-2010, 08:45 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/bills-stories/article87360.ece

Kyle Williams is used to hearing what he can't do.He was thought to be too small to play defensive tackle in the NFL, but the former fifth-round draft pick became a rookie starter with the Buffalo Bills. Last season, he was arguably the team's steadiest defensive lineman and was voted as a Pro Bowl alternate.
After four solid years at D-tackle in the 4-3 scheme, Williams is making the transition to nose tackle in the Bills' new 3-4 alignment. At 6-foot-1 and 306 pounds, he doesn't fit the prototype, which is someone two to three inches taller and 40 to 50 pounds heavier.
But Williams is out to prove yet again that size isn't everything when it comes to playing football.
"If I listened to what some people say, I wouldn't be here today," Williams said after a training camp practice at St. John Fisher College. "It doesn't bother me. It really doesn't matter what position you play, it's still football. If you can play football, you can play football. It's going out there and working hard every day. That's what I've always done and what I'm doing out here now."