PDA

View Full Version : Bills moving on without Schobel

Ickybaluky
08-02-2010, 09:30 AM
From Adam Schefter (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter):

Bills GM Buddy Nix today is announcing that Buffalo is moving forward with plans that do not include LB Aaron Schobel.

OpIv37
08-02-2010, 09:32 AM
What choice do they have at this point?

Ickybaluky
08-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Also on his twitter:

Maybe LB Aaron Schobel retires, maybe he is traded. But every indication is that he and Buffalo are now done with each other.

Schobel can help teams so there will be interest in trading for him, but I would think his contract would be a challenge for any team wanting him. He will probably have to be willing to amend his deal.

justasportsfan
08-02-2010, 09:34 AM
He most likely wants to play for the texans and Bill Kollar.

psubills62
08-02-2010, 09:39 AM
It would be ideal to trade him. Even if we get a late-round pick for him, it's more than what we would have gotten if he retired.

Commissioner
08-02-2010, 09:40 AM
It would be cool if they could somehow get better offensive tackle for him.

Mr. Pink
08-02-2010, 09:44 AM
About time the team finally made a decision on this one.

Commissioner
08-02-2010, 09:48 AM
I don't know what the heck Schobel thought he was gonna do coming back in August when he'd have to learn a new system and position. I think he played the Bills.

Schobel: "Ok.. I'm ready to come back and get paid millions! Oh you changed the system and my position? Oh well, you still gotta pay me!!! "

Commissioner
08-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Nix's Statement: (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Bills-moving-forward-without-Schobel/73493633-0159-4e17-b770-88f723ff8446)

“Aaron has been contemplating retirement for the past seven months, but we are at the point where we are moving forward and have informed his agent of our plans,” Nix said.

“Aaron has been a very good player for the Bills and we wish him and his family the best, but there comes a point where we have to move forward and that point is today. We are focusing on the team’s best interests.”

What exactly does that mean? Who knows.

patmoran2006
08-02-2010, 09:57 AM
This is a big turn from the end of last week. Speculation seems to be something in the conversation between Schobel and his agent went awry; who knows what it is.. My GUESS would be that Schobel wasn't going to be in camp quick enough for Nix's liking; though of course you could've said that the morning of camp's opening day. But Nix clearly went from having organizational patience with Schobel to be doing with him, so something he didnt like was said.

They COULD try to trade him, but all leverage after his statement is is gone. Hopefully he can be moved to Houston for a late round pick in return.

Seems like he'll be just flat-released though.

Commissioner
08-02-2010, 10:00 AM
This is a big turn from the end of last week. Speculation seems to be something in the conversation between Schobel and his agent went awry; who knows what it is.. My GUESS would be that Schobel wasn't going to be in camp quick enough for Nix's liking; though of course you could've said that the morning of camp's opening day. But Nix clearly went from having organizational patience with Schobel to be doing with him, so something he didnt like was said.

They COULD try to trade him, but all leverage after his statement is is gone. Hopefully he can be moved to Houston for a late round pick in return.

When Nix said, "teams best interests"... i think they just lost their patience. Schobel apparently wasn't moving fast enough.... and i don't think it was in the teams best interests to keep waiting on a guy who was changing positions and had no exposure to a new system.

Yeah... they pretty much can't trade him... unless they already had a trade in place before that statement.

better days
08-02-2010, 10:02 AM

I doubt they release him. They will just keep him on the did not report list. If he shows up, they can fine him like crazy. Hopefully they get a trade done.

Commissioner
08-02-2010, 10:05 AM
It's almost like Schobel thinks of himself on a Brett Favre level.... like he's been such a great player that he can just hold an organization hostage.

DMBcrew36
08-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Considering Schobel hates camp, I wouldn't be surprised if wanted to just show up at the end.

I'm impressed on the decisiveness of the Bills on this.

trapezeus
08-02-2010, 10:25 AM
i feel better by them taking a stand and saying, "enough".

he was good statistically, but how many convert DE to LB's can you have? It could just be a financial move as well.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-02-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm not lying that I think the Bills with Schobel is better than the Bills without Schobel. BUT, as Marv said, once you are thinking about retirement, you are retired.

I'm begin to seriously worry about what kind of a season he would have had he come back here.

mikemac2001
08-02-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm not lying that I think the Bills with Schobel is better than the Bills without Schobel. BUT, as Marv said, once you are thinking about retirement, you are retired.

I'm begin to seriously worry about what kind of a season he would have had he come back here.

I guess farve has been retired for years then....sure put up huge stats from his home.

DraftBoy
08-02-2010, 10:33 AM
I hope they can trade him for a conditional late round pick rather than just releasing him.

Ed
08-02-2010, 10:47 AM
So if the Bills are moving forward without Schobel and they have informed his agent of this, don't they have to release him? I don't think they can hold his rights, but also prohibit him from joining the team if he's under contract.

HHURRICANE
08-02-2010, 10:56 AM
I think the Bills figured out in camp here that they can play this new D without him. I think that's why Nix was able to get a little more public about it.

I think Schobel coming back will do more harm than good.

I think the team is actually better without him.

A trade for something would be nice. If the Bills release him than I believe that they are on the hook for his contract.

PromoTheRobot
08-02-2010, 10:56 AM
So if the Bills are moving forward without Schobel and they have informed his agent of this, don't they have to release him? I don't think they can hold his rights, but also prohibit him from joining the team if he's under contract.
They can hold him until final cut down day. They could also keep him on the roster as "retired/DNR" and hold his rights. Schobel would have to officially report in order to force the Bills hand. That has not happened yet. Just because we said we are moving forward doesn't mean we have released him yet.

PTR

djjimkelly
08-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Nix's Statement: (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Bills-moving-forward-without-Schobel/73493633-0159-4e17-b770-88f723ff8446)

What exactly does that mean? Who knows.

i know what i read when i see that.

we didnt want schobel on this roster when we made the change to a 3-4 we saw his retirement as a simple solution to him not fitting our system and now that he is sitting on the fence he can F@%# off.

buddy i like your style!!!!!!!!!!

acehole
08-02-2010, 11:03 AM

Good...
I was hoping Chris Ellis made the team.

PromoTheRobot
08-02-2010, 11:17 AM

From BB.com: "Bills GM Buddy Nix made it clear regarding Aaron Schobel's career with the Bills. It's over. "He will remain on our Reserve/Did Not Report list until he makes a decision about what he wants to do, whether it's retire or if he might want to play somewhere else," said Nix. If Schobel does want to play elsewhere, the Bills will then begin to explore trade options. It's clear the Bills will not outright release him."

The Bills are not letting Schobel just play for another team.

PTR

HHURRICANE
08-02-2010, 11:23 AM
From BB.com: "Bills GM Buddy Nix made it clear regarding Aaron Schobel's career with the Bills. It's over. "He will remain on our Reserve/Did Not Report list until he makes a decision about what he wants to do, whether it's retire or if he might want to play somewhere else," said Nix. If Schobel does want to play elsewhere, the Bills will then begin to explore trade options. It's clear the Bills will not outright release him."

The Bills are not letting Schobel just play for another team.

PTR

Nice job!

I think the Bills will trade him. He's worth something.

Ickybaluky
08-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Schobel apparently thinks he is going to be released, per Jason LaCanfora (http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora):

Aaron Schobel was informed of the Bills' intent to release him and he is very much interested in talking to other teams as a free agent.

X-Era
08-02-2010, 11:25 AM

First off, where you been man? Seems like youve been gone for a while.

Now, personally I like our approach a lot. I think he has some trade value and doesnt really fit our scheme.

X-Era
08-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Schobel apparently thinks he is going to be released, per Jason LaCanfora (http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora):

Has Schobel ever played cards? Man, talk about showing your hand. The Bills can now tell him to pack sand and work a trade.

HHURRICANE
08-02-2010, 11:30 AM

Nix, GM vs. LaCanfora on Twitter?

Hmmmm.

Going to take Nix on this one. Why would we just release him when we can trade him?

X-Era
08-02-2010, 11:35 AM

Hmmmm.

Going to take Nix on this one. Why would we just release him when we can trade him?

I do want to say this though.

Buddy needs to be careful. I know his protege was AJ Smith who acts just like this. But, this team is not a perpetual playoff team. It needs players. It needs people to want to come here.

Just saying that there could be backlash on our future.

I hope we can parlay Schobel for a LT, or defensive player. I wonder if the Chargers have a need.

psubills62
08-02-2010, 11:35 AM
What's the point of releasing him? A guy who had 10 sacks last year on a crappy team has plenty of trade value.

If Schobel decides to come to camp and force Nix's hand, I would not be surprised to see them simply keep Schobel on the roster and just bench him. He may be old, but he could contribute significantly to a team like the Texans (who actually has a decent DL, especially for pass-rushing).

No way they just release him.

Dr. Lecter
08-02-2010, 11:36 AM

Hmmmm.

They might not be able to trade him due to his contract. They might have to cut him.

psubills62
08-02-2010, 11:37 AM
I do want to say this though.

Buddy needs to be careful. I know his protege was AJ Smith who acts just like this. But, this team is not a perpetual playoff team. It needs players. It needs people to want to come here.

Just saying that there could be backlash on our future.

I hope we can parlay Schobel for a LT, or defensive player. I wonder if the Chargers have a need.

I don't think there will be any backlash. This is a guy pulling a Favre. He's not sitting out because he wants more money, he's screwing around with the team's plan for this year and the future. I have a feeling most players would understand trading Schobel.

Nighthawk
08-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Wait for it....wait for it...

I'm talking about the negative spin about Buffalo and how this is just another terrible thing to happen to this organization. Of course, this will be the national media's spin on it. IMO, this is what good organizations do...they don't wait for a guy who probably is not a fit in there defense and let him keep playing games about whether he wants to play or not. I applaud the Bills on this one!

Ickybaluky
08-02-2010, 11:40 AM
They might not be able to trade him due to his contract. They might have to cut him.

They can keep him on the DNR list until he shows up and he doesn't take up a roster spot.

If he shows up he can force the team's hand somewhat, but that would be an awkward situation for both sides. The way Schobel has handled this is curious. It seems like he wanted out but didn't want to be the bad guy and request a trade. I think he was hoping the Bills would just let him go. That is how is seems anyway.

Beebe's Kid
08-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Schobel was a difficult situation, due to the respect that they had to show him. A productive member of the team for the last decade, which has offered few bright-spots, it was the right thing to do.

I am glad that he made it easy by thinking he was so important that he didn't have to show up until the end of camp.

Buddy Nix is a real GM. I bet you that 25 or more GMs in the league would have waited on Schobel. Nix gave him less than a week, and in spite of his talking about returning, gave him the "thanks, but no thanks."

Aaron, you put up some good numbers, and you hung in there for a long time on a bad team...sure you were overpaid and overvalued the entire time, but you still "hung in there." Thanks for the memories.

Another sign that this isn't Club Dick. Jauron would have let Schobel do what ever he wanted to do. I know that Gailey is the coach, and it was Nix that announced this, but that speaks volumes. Nix IS a GM, and he makes GM moves. Gailey and him probably talked about his and decided together to move on. Nix then addressed it. Almost like a real "organization."

Dr. Lecter
08-02-2010, 11:44 AM
They can keep him on the DNR list until he shows up and he doesn't take up a roster spot.

If he shows up he can force the team's hand somewhat, but that would be an awkward situation for both sides. The way Schobel has handled this is curious. It seems like he wanted out but didn't want to be the bad guy and request a trade. I think he was hoping the Bills would just let him go. That is how is seems anyway.

I understand that.

But will a team trade for a guy who has $6 million + in money due this year?

Or will they let him be cut and get him for half of that?

Nighthawk
08-02-2010, 11:45 AM

They don't have to do anything...he's under contract. If he decides to sit out, he can sit out and not play. The Bills are not under any obligation to make Schobel happy.

Dr. Lecter
08-02-2010, 11:46 AM
They don't have to do anything...he's under contract. If he decides to sit out, he can sit out and not play. The Bills are not under any obligation to make Schobel happy.
Agreed.Until he walks into camp the day before the opener. Then he has reported and must be placed on the roster.

What happens if he does that?

X-Era
08-02-2010, 11:47 AM
What's the point of releasing him? A guy who had 10 sacks last year on a crappy team has plenty of trade value.

If Schobel decides to come to camp and force Nix's hand, I would not be surprised to see them simply keep Schobel on the roster and just bench him. He may be old, but he could contribute significantly to a team like the Texans (who actually has a decent DL, especially for pass-rushing).

No way they just release him.

Queue the trade partner talk.

I already started trying to figure out who needs a 4-3 DE. Texans? Fits for where he lives, who else?

Eric Winston anyone?

Ickybaluky
08-02-2010, 11:49 AM
I understand that.

Teams are always looking for pass-rushers. I would think any team trading for him would want to work out a new deal as a condition of the trade. That happens fairly often. The advantage is you don't have to battle other teams for him on a free market, but he needs to be willing to work out a new deal for probably multiple years.

I agree not many teams will take on his old deal at this point.

If he is released there will be a ton of interest. He would be a situational rusher of immediate impact on a lot of teams. The Patriots would want him. I could see Tennessee, Green Bay and Houston as well. There are others that will want him.

Nighthawk
08-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Agreed.Until he walks into camp the day before the opener. Then he has reported and must be placed on the roster.

I doubt that happens...if he hasn't had enough balls to do it yet, he isn't go to do it. I say "f**k him"...this team needs to stop bending over and taking it for every player who thinks they can get away with it. The Bills hold all the cards in this one.

Nighthawk
08-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Teams are always looking for pass-rushers. I would think any team trading for him would want to work out a new deal as a condition of the trade. That happens fairly often. The advantage is you don't have to battle other teams for him on a free market, but he needs to be willing to work out a new deal for probably multiple years.

If he is released there will be a ton of interest. He would be a situational rusher of immediate impact on a lot of teams. The Patriots would want him. I could see Tennessee, Green Bay and Houston as well. There are others that will want him.

IMO, there is no way the Bills release him and let him go play in NE. This is the same kind of situation as GB had with Favre and we all know how that ended for Favre. The Bills are in the driver's seat regarding this situation.

Beebe's Kid
08-02-2010, 11:53 AM

That would be a bad situation, and one that would try to be avoided at all costs.

If Schobel does this, and we get screwed and he makes out, as well as his new team... it sets a dangerous precedent. It may be "legal," but it is not the standard practice, and would be a huge smack in the mouth to Bills.

Nix/Gailey have handled this situation well so far. The have shown class and respect for Schobel. I would think that there would be discussions between his agent and Nix, with explicit intent to prevent this.

In the NFL, is it possible for a team to trade and eat some of the salary, like in baseball? We are on the hook for all of his guaranteed money, regardless of where/if he plays, correct?

HHURRICANE

NE39 you are one of the more knowledgable posters here. Thanks.

ddaryl
I do not care about Schobel...

he doesn't get his release, he either shows up or shuts up.

Ickybaluky
08-02-2010, 11:55 AM
IMO, there is no way the Bills release him and let him go play in NE. This is the same kind of situation as GB had with Favre and we all know how that ended for Favre. The Bills are in the driver's seat regarding this situation.

I agree that they won't deal him to NE. I also think there is a strong market for him. Look at what is available. Greg Ellis? Chiki Okeafor? There isn't anything out there.

However, if he wants to play he should show up or demand a trade. His agent needs permission from the Bills to talk to teams, because teams are going to want to work out a new contract with him.

Nighthawk
08-02-2010, 11:57 AM
I agree that they won't deal him to NE. I also think there is a strong market for him. Look at what is available. Greg Ellis? Chiki Okeafor? There isn't anything out there.

However, if he wants to play he should show up or demand a trade. His agent needs permission from the Bills to talk to teams, because teams are going to want to work out a new contract with him.

I agree...I was more referring to them releasing him, so that he could sign in NE. Schobel is coming off looking like a big pussy in this whole situation.

X-Era
08-02-2010, 11:57 AM

How about New Orleans? They run a 4-3. Texans run a 3-4 I think. GB runs a 3-4. Tennessee runs a 4-3.

Nighthawk
08-02-2010, 11:59 AM
How about New Orleans? They run a 4-3. Texans run a 3-4 I think. GB runs a 3-4.

I don't think Houston runs a traditional 3-4...he would be a good fit there.

justasportsfan
Aaron is making Lynch look like a honor student.

Ickybaluky
I agree...I was more referring to them releasing him, so that he could sign in NE. Schobel is coming off looking like a big pussy in this whole situation.

I agree. I think he wants to keep playing, but doesn't want to go through another rebuild. I think the whole retirement thing was just a ploy because he didn't want to come across as a dick by asking for a trade. However, the way he handled it was worse, IMO.

I bet he eventually gets traded and signed for multiple years with his new team, probably the Texans. He can still rush the passer, and he could play for several more years in a situational role.

psubills62
08-02-2010, 12:01 PM
How about New Orleans? They run a 4-3. Texans run a 3-4 I think. GB runs a 3-4.

Texans run a 4-3. New Orleans would be a good fit too.

The thing is, I doubt this is about playing in a 3-4. I think this is about wanting to play with a winning team.

Ickybaluky
08-02-2010, 12:02 PM
How about New Orleans? They run a 4-3. Texans run a 3-4 I think. GB runs a 3-4. Tennessee runs a 4-3.

I don't think the scheme is a big issue. The guy can rush the passer, and teams always want guys like that. No matter the base scheme, teams are going to be in sub-packages 50% of the time in today's NFL, so he will have a fit.

As he learns the new scheme he may carve out a bigger role, but he could step in tomorrow and work as a pass rusher in sub-packages for a lot of teams. There will be interest.

Ed
08-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Sounds like a good fit to me. He'd be reunited with Gregg Williams and he'd finally get to play for a playoff team and have a chance to win.

X-Era
08-02-2010, 12:04 PM
I agree. I think he wants to keep playing, but doesn't want to go through another rebuild. I think the whole retirement thing was just a ploy because he didn't want to come across as a dick by asking for a trade. However, the way he handled it was worse, IMO.

I bet he eventually gets traded and signed for multiple years with his new team, probably the Texans. He can still rush the passer, and he could play for several more years in a situational role.

Traded for what though? Id take Eric Winston... it would be awesome to land Demeco Ryans somehow (wont happen). Pat probably still wants Owens Daniels. Wouldnt mind Okoye either.

Ickybaluky
08-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Sounds like a good fit to me. He'd be reunited with Gregg Williams and he'd finally get to play for a playoff team and have a chance to win.

New Orleans shot their wad money-wise though. They aren't spending big money right now, so they probably would want him on a discount. I guess if he wants to sign for less, but I think other teams are willing to pay him more.

X-Era
08-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Texans run a 4-3. New Orleans would be a good fit too.

The thing is, I doubt this is about playing in a 3-4. I think this is about wanting to play with a winning team.
The Giants are a team thats always looking for pass rush help. Linval Joseph, Travis Beckum, William Beatty?

HHURRICANE
08-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Actually this is pretty exciting.

Any kind of trade for him would be nice but a player would be great.

We are in desperate need of same real NFL tackles!!

Dr. Lecter
08-02-2010, 12:08 PM
If they do trade him, he won't fetch much. Maybe a 5th round pick.

He will not bring back a good young LT. That much is for sure.

TacklingDummy
08-02-2010, 12:09 PM
What choice do they have at this point?
:huh: I thought Schobel retired after the 2006 season. He still in the NFL?

Ickybaluky
08-02-2010, 12:11 PM
The Associated Press talked to Schobel (http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=329323):

Schobel told The Associated Press in a phone interview that he learned Monday morning he would have been released even if had reported to camp. The linebacker said he is not upset or surprised by the move.

"I understand. I would have done the same thing if I were in their shoes," Schobel said. "I understand it 100 per cent. I'm sort of relieved.

"I have no regrets and I appreciate the organization, Buffalo, their fans and (Bills owner) Ralph (Wilson) for putting me in this position where I was able to play for nine years. I'm not going to say anything bad about them and I wish them the best."

Schobel said he is not planning to retire, but will take two weeks before making a decision. He did say if he does play, this would be his last NFL season.

X-Era
08-02-2010, 12:11 PM

The Eagles run a 4-3... trade him for Mike Vick :couch:

X-Era
08-02-2010, 12:13 PM
The Associated Press talked to Schobel (http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=329323):

And with this comment, his value dropped to zero:

"Schobel said he is not planning to retire, but will take two weeks before making a decision. He did say if he does play, this would be his last NFL season."

justasportsfan
08-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Nix makes it clear on Schobel

Bills GM Buddy Nix made it clear regarding Aaron Schobel’s career with the Bills. It’s over.

“He will remain on our Reserve/Did Not Report list until he makes a decision about what he wants to do, whether it’s retire or if he might want to play somewhere else,” said Nix.

If Schobel does want to play elsewhere, the Bills will then begin to explore trade options. It’s clear the Bills will not outright release him.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/08/02/nix-makes-it-clear-on-schobel/

TacklingDummy
08-02-2010, 12:17 PM
The Bills need to go after some of that bonus money.

HHURRICANE
08-02-2010, 12:17 PM
And with this comment, his value dropped to zero:

"Schobel said he is not planning to retire, but will take two weeks before making a decision. He did say if he does play, this would be his last NFL season."

Schobel is such a flaming _ick. It's always been about him and his lack of leadership has only contributed to our 10 year hiatus from the playoffs.

Ed
08-02-2010, 12:19 PM
New Orleans shot their wad money-wise though. They aren't spending big money right now, so they probably would want him on a discount. I guess if he wants to sign for less, but I think other teams are willing to pay him more.
I didn't know that about New Orleans, but I wouldn't be suprised at all if Schobel took a lot less money to play for a superbowl contender. He's already made a ton of money and only wants to play one more year. I'm pretty sure at the end of the year he alluded to money not being a factor at all in any decision he makes, but he's tired of losing.

X-Era
08-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Nix makes it clear on Schobel

Bills GM Buddy Nix made it clear regarding Aaron Schobel’s career with the Bills. It’s over.

“He will remain on our Reserve/Did Not Report list until he makes a decision about what he wants to do, whether it’s retire or if he might want to play somewhere else,” said Nix.

If Schobel does want to play elsewhere, the Bills will then begin to explore trade options. It’s clear the Bills will not outright release him.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/08/02/nix-makes-it-clear-on-schobel/
Thank you.

PFT just released some crap saying the Bills told him they will release him... He's doing one of three things:

1) Being traded- most likely
2) Retiring
3) Staying on our DNR list.

better days
08-02-2010, 12:20 PM
I understand that.

They can work out a trade if Schobel agrees to a new contract with the team he is traded to. If he is unwilling to do that just keep him & fine him like crazy if he dogs it.

Nighthawk
08-02-2010, 12:21 PM

Anything is better then nothing...

X-Era
08-02-2010, 12:23 PM
On PFT, they noted he has sacked Tom Brady more than any other player. In response, someone commented this... fess up, I know it was one of you:

"Only reason Schobel sacked Brady so much was because Brady really wanted to tune Aaron Schobel's meatwhistle."

:rofl:

acehole
08-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Schobel is such a flaming _ick. It's always been about him and his lack of leadership has only contributed to our 10 year hiatus from the playoffs.

not his fault we drafted him.

better days
08-02-2010, 12:26 PM
I guess farve has been retired for years then....sure put up huge stats from his home.

The words out of Favres mouth did not match the thoughts in his head. He just did not want to go to camp. In the Jets year he wanted off that team to get to the Vikings, his team of choice all along after the Pack dumped him.

BloFan4Life
08-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Straight from Pat Moran's twitter on July 28th...

From the buzz I'm hearing from people much more in the know than me, its starting to sound like Schobel will end up playing for #Bills (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bills) again

http://twitter.com/PatrickMoranBSD

Nice job Pat, looks like struck out again.

TacklingDummy
08-02-2010, 12:29 PM
I've said it before, I'll say it again. He will play this year. He will not leave those millions on the table, plus he will not risk the chance the Bills will go after some of his bonus money.

HHURRICANE
08-02-2010, 12:42 PM
I've said it before, I'll say it again. He will play this year. He will not leave those millions on the table, plus he will not risk the chance the Bills will go after some of his bonus money.

Dude he's not playing in Buffalo.

justasportsfan
08-02-2010, 01:10 PM
not his fault we drafted him.

HH is clueless. He forgets that Shobel resigned with the team and took less than what he could have in the market. Up until now it wasn't always about him.

TacklingDummy
08-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Dude he's not playing in Buffalo.
Money talks, ******* walks.

tampabay25690
08-02-2010, 01:41 PM
My guess is that Gailey and Nix like what they see out of there OLB and the pressure they will be able to get.......

Time to move on I agree with NIX, I wish Aaron luck..

HHURRICANE
08-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Money talks, ******* walks.

Watch the Nix interview. He's not coming back. It's done.

malo
08-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Ok so who is going to step up and rack up garbage time sacks?

OpIv37
08-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Ok so who is going to step up and rack up garbage time sacks?

no one- in order to rack up garbage time sacks, you have to actually be winning in garbage time.

TacklingDummy
08-02-2010, 02:28 PM
no one- in order to rack up garbage time sacks, you have to actually be winning in garbage time.
The other teams garbage time.

YardRat
08-02-2010, 02:30 PM
It would be nice to at least get something out of a deal...I'm not counting on it, though. With our luck, we'll probably end up paying somebody to take him.

DrGraves
08-02-2010, 03:31 PM
if he goes to NE he will probably **** all over us twice this year.

justasportsfan
08-02-2010, 03:37 PM
if he goes to NE he will probably **** all over us twice this year.

I doubt the bills will trade him to NE or any AFCE rival

X-Era
08-02-2010, 03:46 PM
NFL Network has that the Bills cut Schobel on their scroll.

OpIv37
08-02-2010, 04:19 PM
The other teams garbage time.

winning teams don't pass in garbage time- they run.

better days
08-02-2010, 06:12 PM
NFL Network has that the Bills cut Schobel on their scroll.

I hope they got this wrong, it would not be the 1st time.

TacklingDummy
08-02-2010, 07:08 PM
winning teams don't pass in garbage time- they run.
Yes they do. Up by a couple scores, late in the 4th, 3rd and long, instead of risking a pass the QB holds on to the ball taking the meaningless sack.

Classic Schobel.

Night Train
08-02-2010, 07:15 PM
<table border="0" width="630"><tbody><tr><td width="80%">Texans | Aaron Schobel may want to play for team
</td><td width="20%">[/URL][URL="http://twitter.com/?status=Per%20KFFL.com:%20Texans%20%7C%20Aaron%20Schobel%20may%20want%20to%20play%20for%20team%20-%20http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=659916-texans-aaron-schobel-may-want-to-play-for-team"] (http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=659916-texans-aaron-schobel-may-want-to-play-for-team)
(http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=659916-texans-aaron-schobel-may-want-to-play-for-team)</td></tr></tbody></table>Mon, 02 Aug 2010 13:10:38 -0400 The Houston Texans (http://www.kffl.com/team/18/nfl) may be the desired destination if Buffalo Bills (http://www.kffl.com/team/9/nfl) DE Aaron Schobel (http://www.kffl.com/player/175/nfl) decides he wants to play this season, reports John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle (http://www.kffl.com/link/140). Schobel is close friends with Texans (http://www.kffl.com/team/18/nfl) defensive line coach Bill Kollar (http://www.kffl.com/player/15023/nfl).

OpIv37
08-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Yes they do. Up by a couple scores, late in the 4th, 3rd and long, instead of risking a pass the QB holds on to the ball taking the meaningless sack.

Classic Schobel.

ok, you got me there.

Goobylal
08-02-2010, 08:20 PM
<table border="0" width="630"><tbody><tr><td width="80%">Texans | Aaron Schobel may want to play for team
</td><td width="20%">[/URL][URL="http://twitter.com/?status=Per%20KFFL.com:%20Texans%20%7C%20Aaron%20Schobel%20may%20want%20to%20play%20for%20team%20-%20http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=659916-texans-aaron-schobel-may-want-to-play-for-team"] (http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=659916-texans-aaron-schobel-may-want-to-play-for-team)
(http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=659916-texans-aaron-schobel-may-want-to-play-for-team)</td></tr></tbody></table>Mon, 02 Aug 2010 13:10:38 -0400 The Houston Texans (http://www.kffl.com/team/18/nfl) may be the desired destination if Buffalo Bills (http://www.kffl.com/team/9/nfl) DE Aaron Schobel (http://www.kffl.com/player/175/nfl) decides he wants to play this season, reports John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle (http://www.kffl.com/link/140). Schobel is close friends with Texans (http://www.kffl.com/team/18/nfl) defensive line coach Bill Kollar (http://www.kffl.com/player/15023/nfl).

Except the Texans don't want him. Much less want to trade for him.

better days
08-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Except the Texans don't want him. Much less want to trade for him.

Have you been talking to Kollar?

Goobylal
08-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Have you been talking to Kollar?
Kollar doesn't make the decision. They have enough DE's, and none of them weigh just 243#, are 33 years old, and make $6M for the season (outside of Williams).

Ickybaluky
08-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Schobel has said he prefers Houston (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/7135755.html):

“If I were a free agent, and I could choose a team, it would be the Texans, without a doubt,” Schobel said Monday from his home in Columbus.
Schobel, who had 10 sacks last season, grew up in Columbus, about 70 miles west of Houston, and has a ranch there. With the Texans, he would be reunited with assistant head coach/defensive line coach Bill Kollar, his defensive line coach in Buffalo.
Schobel, 32, and Kollar are good friends who played golf together during the offseason.
“I know Bill, and I know the scheme,” Schobel said. “I know the verbiage. It’s an hour from my hometown.
“And the Texans have a chance to be real good. They’d make the most sense. Houston would be the best spot for me.”

The Texans, who can’t comment because Schobel is still under contract to the Bills, don’t need a starting defensive end. They have Mario Williams and Antonio Smith. Connor Barwin comes off the bench in passing situations.
But any general manager and coach will tell you they can never have enough pass rushers.

The Bills don’t want to give Schobel away without getting something in return, so they’ll try to trade him if he elects to play another season. His salary should hinder any trade, and it may be only a matter of time before he became a free agent.

better days
08-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Kollar doesn't make the decision. They have enough DE's, and none of them weigh just 243#, are 33 years old, and make $6M for the season (outside of Williams).

I was joking. I know he doesn't make the decisions, but he is in the know. If Schobel really wants to play he will have to take a cut in pay. If not Houston, Maybe the Saints would be a fit if he wants to play.

Goobylal
08-02-2010, 08:46 PM
I was joking. I know he doesn't make the decisions, but he is in the know. If Schobel really wants to play he will have to take a cut in pay. If not Houston, Maybe the Saints would be a fit if he wants to play.
You can't just cut a player's salary if he's traded. If he were a FA, that's a different story. But I don't see the Bills just releasing him should he report, so as to force a trade. They'll want to make an example out of him.

better days
08-02-2010, 08:52 PM
You can't just cut a player's salary if he's traded. If he were a FA, that's a different story. But I don't see the Bills just releasing him should he report, so as to force a trade. They'll want to make an example out of him.

A player can agree to renegotiate a new contract when traded.

Goobylal
08-02-2010, 08:53 PM
A player can agree to renegotiate a new contract when traded.
Wrong. A player is traded along with his contract. The new team can restructure the contract, but that involves moving future salary into guaranteed upfront bonus.

Ickybaluky
08-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Wrong. A player is traded along with his contract. The new team can restructure the contract, but that involves moving future salary into guaranteed upfront bonus.

A condition of a trade with a new team is his working out a new contract. If a new contract can't be worked out, the trade would void.

The way it would happen is the Bills and Texans would agree to terms of a trade, and the Bills would give the Texans permission to talk to Schobel's agent about a new contract. The Texans would then negotiate with him and work out a new deal, but there would be a time limit on it. So they may agree to allow a day or two for contract talks, and if the time expires the trade voids and his rights go back to the Bills.

It happens all the time.

Ickybaluky
08-02-2010, 09:01 PM

If he reports, the Bills have to add him to the roster. They would also have to pay him the $2M roster bonus he is to receive as soon as he passes a physical. That is his leverage, although it is uncertain if he would use it by reporting to the Bills. The way he has handled this whole thing has been odd, he really should have talked to them some time ago and worked out getting traded.

Goobylal
08-02-2010, 09:09 PM
A condition of a trade with a new team is his working out a new contract. If a new contract can't be worked out, the trade would void.

The way it would happen is the Bills and Texans would agree to terms of a trade, and the Bills would give the Texans permission to talk to Schobel's agent about a new contract. The Texans would then negotiate with him and work out a new deal, but there would be a time limit on it. So they may agree to allow a day or two for contract talks, and if the time expires the trade voids and his rights go back to the Bills.

It happens all the time.
It only applies when the player is receiving a larger contract, and the old one is extended of sorts. It doesn't apply when giving the player a smaller contract.

If he reports, the Bills have to add him to the roster. They would also have to pay him the $2M roster bonus he is to receive as soon as he passes a physical. That is his leverage, although it is uncertain if he would use it by reporting to the Bills. The way he has handled this whole thing has been odd, he really should have talked to them some time ago and worked out getting traded.
The $2M bonus was a roster bonus for being on the roster on March 1st. That date has come and gone, therefore he's not entitled to a bonus.

better days
08-02-2010, 09:11 PM

Passing the physical is a key thing. Much like what the Redskins are doing to Haynsworth. The Bills could also fine him for missing mandatory OTA's & training camp. I'm not sure about the maximum, but unless he shows up in shape, ready to play they can continue to fine him until he is.

mysticsoto
08-02-2010, 09:14 PM

It is odd. It is almost as if he intended to hold out as long as he could to skip training camp and then expected to come in and collect paychecks and just jump right into things once the season started...

Goobylal
08-02-2010, 09:15 PM
The Bills could also fine him for missing mandatory OTA's & training camp. I'm not sure about the maximum, but unless he shows up in shape, ready to play they can continue to fine him until he is.
They can and will fine him $14K/day of camp missed. It will be interesting to see if he dares to report.

Ickybaluky
08-02-2010, 10:10 PM
It only applies when the player is receiving a larger contract, and the old one is extended of sorts. It doesn't apply when giving the player a smaller contract.

Guys take paycuts all the time, it is just a contract change and the trade isn't really relevant. The only way it is relevant is the trade is contingent upon the contract being worked out, if it isn't the trade is voided.

The Patriots did this when they traded for Randy Moss. With the Raiders, Moss had 2 years left on his deal with salaries of $9.75M in 2007 and $11.25M in 2008. The Pats made the trade conditional on them amending the contract, which they were able to do (taking the 2008 year off and changing his 2007 earnings to $3M in salary and $2M in incentives). If they hadn't been able to change the contract, the trade would have been void, as it was a condition.

The $2M bonus was a roster bonus for being on the roster on March 1st. That date has come and gone, therefore he's not entitled to a bonus.

He is due a $2M roster bonus as soon as he meets the triggers. The triggers are he has to be on the roster as of 3/1 and he has to pass a physical. If he shows up, he meets the conditions and triggers the bonus. His contract calls for him to get $8M in compensation this year, and that is what he will get unless they cut him.

He could probably still get it even if they cut him. He may have to file a grievance to receive it, but an arbitrator will have to hear the case and judge whether he met the terms of the contract.

Ickybaluky
08-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Passing the physical is a key thing. Much like what the Redskins are doing to Haynsworth. The Bills could also fine him for missing mandatory OTA's & training camp. I'm not sure about the maximum, but unless he shows up in shape, ready to play they can continue to fine him until he is.

If they flunk him on a physical he could file a grievance, arguing he is healthy but they just did that to keep him from getting the money. At that point, and arbitrator would have to decide whether he deserves the bonus.

Additionally, if they flunk him physically when he reports they would have to place him on a reserve list, thus guaranteeing his $6M salary.

If he reports, the Bills have to put him on the roster and pay him, cut him or trade him. They can't just play games. I don't know if Schobel would force the issue that way, but that is the leverage he has.

Goobylal
08-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Guys take paycuts all the time, it is just a contract change and the trade isn't really relevant. The only way it is relevant is the trade is contingent upon the contract being worked out, if it isn't the trade is voided.

The Patriots did this when they traded for Randy Moss. With the Raiders, Moss had 2 years left on his deal with salaries of $9.75M in 2007 and $11.25M in 2008. The Pats made the trade conditional on them amending the contract, which they were able to do (taking the 2008 year off and changing his 2007 earnings to $3M in salary and $2M in incentives). If they hadn't been able to change the contract, the trade would have been void, as it was a condition.

He is due a $2M roster bonus as soon as he meets the triggers. The triggers are he has to be on the roster as of 3/1 and he has to pass a physical. If he shows up, he meets the conditions and triggers the bonus. His contract calls for him to get $8M in compensation this year, and that is what he will get unless they cut him.

He could probably still get it even if they cut him. He may have to file a grievance to receive it, but an arbitrator will have to hear the case and judge whether he met the terms of the contract.
I forgot about Moss, so apparently you can take a pay cut. But trading Schobel is a longshot at best. For starters, who wants a guy who says he'll play just 1 year? Is he the guy to make a team a SB contender, much less winner? And how much would he want from a team to make it worth his while, while how much would the Bills be looking for in trade?

As for the $2M roster bonus, further searching reveals it's guaranteed. But if Schobel reports, takes the physical, and gets his bonus, the Bills will probably not trade him and force him to retire. The problem is that if he retires, the Bills can asked for the prorated portion of his signing bonus, which is well in excess of the $2M, if not what he would make this season if he played for the Bills. He's got 4 years left on his deal, so if he retires within the next 2 years, there's a good chunk of money he'll have to repay. He's better-off retiring with the Bills' blessing and they'll probably let him keep the money.

Ickybaluky
08-04-2010, 08:31 AM
With today's news he is being released, Schobel has screwed the Bills unless he retires. If he keeps playing, he should have gone to the Bills a while ago and worked out getting traded. The way he handled this is a fiasco, unless he really is retiring.

I wonder if he will file a grievance to try and college his $2M roster bonus from the Bills. He could probably make a case he should be paid that money, given he was on the roster as of 3/1. If he does, it would be screwing them worse. It wouldn't surprise me, though.

better days
08-04-2010, 09:39 AM
With today's news he is being released, Schobel has screwed the Bills unless he retires. If he keeps playing, he should have gone to the Bills a while ago and worked out getting traded. The way he handled this is a fiasco, unless he really is retiring.

I wonder if he will file a grievance to try and college his $2M roster bonus from the Bills. He could probably make a case he should be paid that money, given he was on the roster as of 3/1. If he does, it would be screwing them worse. It wouldn't surprise me, though.

I read that the bonus was contingent on him coming in & passing a physical which he did not do.

Michael82
08-04-2010, 09:52 AM

Sounds like the Bills got bent over by Aaron Schobel. He never intended to retire from the NFL, he just wanted out. But waiting until after Training Camp started and forcing the Bills to make the first move, they have no time to shop him around and get something, even a 5th rounder for him. I'm sorry, but Schobel ****ed us over, especially if he goes to the Pats, Dolphins or Jets. I will hate him as much as I hate Willis McGahee. He/his agent knew what they were doing. I don't blame him for wanting out, but have a little class, instead of drag this out and act like you actually want to come back to Buffalo. Damn you, Schobel! :mad:

Goobylal
08-04-2010, 06:04 PM

He won't ask for, nor collect, his $2M roster bonus. And in reality, the Bills had planned for life without him and weren't going to get anything in trade anyway. If anything, he makes himself look like a d-bag.