PDA

View Full Version : 8/1 - My camp observations

dannyek71
08-02-2010, 09:35 AM
My observations:

- #75 looks pretty good. The DL is repeatedly beating the OL.
- IMHO, Simpson had a much better practice yesterday than Bell.
- In old news, Trent has a noodle arm and cannot go deep.
- Florence is getting reps over Mckelvin.
- Hardy has a LONG way to go, but is progressing every day. Same can be said about Brohm.
- As far as QBs, TE is the most NFL ready. But he is the same old TE. Fity looks like a #2 (as expected). Brohm is still raw, but seems to have the most upside. Weakest arm among all the QBs

- More hitting yesterday in practice than I saw during DJ's entire tenure.
- Most of the drills the players do are very basic, things you might see in a HS practice. One that comes to mind is the QB's playing a version of "around the horn" with the football.
- Lots of hustle. For instance, the DL would do a drill where they would try to beat the OL. Regardless of the outcome, they would sprint back to the coach to get feedback and listen before being dismissed.
- Maybin is actually showing flashes.
- Troup/Carrington look decent. They beat our OL. However, most people have been this camp.

Commissioner
08-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Our offensive tackles are starting to scare me... even though it's still early.

Just about everyone report i've read from camp concludes... they suck a fat one.

psubills62
08-02-2010, 09:44 AM
I appreciate the notes. I assume you're talking about #75 on the DL? Because that would be the first Lonnie Harvey update that I've seen.

dannyek71
08-02-2010, 10:00 AM
I appreciate the notes. I assume you're talking about #75 on the DL? Because that would be the first Lonnie Harvey update that I've seen.

Yes, Harvey.

DraftBoy
08-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Good to finally get a Lonnie Harvey update!

HHURRICANE
08-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Our offensive tackles are starting to scare me... even though it's still early.

Just about everyone report i've read from camp concludes... they suck a fat one.

Yep, we are screwed at the tackle position.

The Spiller pick is starting to look pretty stupid considering it sounds like we have 4 guys in camp that can all play RB well.

DraftBoy
08-02-2010, 11:14 AM

The Spiller pick is starting to look pretty stupid considering it sounds like we have 4 guys in camp that can all play RB well.

You would of prefered we had reached for whom?

we are
08-02-2010, 11:28 AM

he's probably the same type of person that would rather have andre smith over michael crabtree

ddaryl
08-02-2010, 11:30 AM
I read about 3 observation from others who said Trent has been looking good in camp...

as far as the long ball... nobody mentioned that in their observations

dannyek71
08-02-2010, 11:34 AM
I read about 3 observation from others who said Trent has been looking good in camp...

as far as the long ball... nobody mentioned that in their observations

He has been looking good into comparison of who we have. He is the same old TE.

HHURRICANE
08-02-2010, 11:51 AM

No I would have not reached for a tackle. Absolutely not. But I might have traded down and got one later.

I'll go on record as saying that I liked the pick from the standpoint of taking the best player.

I'm just saying that based on how bad our tackles are looking and our depth at RB it's looking like it didn't work out that well for us.

Agree?

Ed
08-02-2010, 12:08 PM
No I would have not reached for a tackle. Absolutely not. But I might have traded down and got one later.

I'll go on record as saying that I liked the pick from the standpoint of taking the best player.

I'm just saying that based on how bad our tackles are looking and our depth at RB it's looking like it didn't work out that well for us.

Agree?
I still like the Spiller pick because I'm always an advocate for BPA, but I also thought we were going to make a trade at some point to pick up one of the young vet LT's that were available...

Dr. Lecter
08-02-2010, 12:09 PM

Agree?
Trading down is not always easy of worthwhile, especially in the last draft before a rookie cap is in existance.

HHURRICANE
08-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Trading down is not always easy of worthwhile, especially in the last draft before a rookie cap is in existance.

Always easy to play Monday morning QB. I agree. I don't hate the Spiller pick. just in light of the way things are going it just doesn't look as good.

I certainly like the pick better than Maybin last year.

Patti120
08-02-2010, 12:27 PM
He has been looking good into comparison of who we have. He is the same old TE.

Hopefully not the same TE who gets knocked out cold as our OT's repeatedly get beat and we are stuck with Fitz or Brohm. With that said, I am glad we drafted CJ. Let's hope our line can run block! And pass block? :/

don137
08-02-2010, 12:30 PM

I agree however, something tells me San Diego would much rather have Spiller over Matthews and the fact that they traded up to 12 for Matthews tells me if Buffalo offered them #9 with Spiller on the board they would of jumped at it.

better days
08-02-2010, 12:44 PM
I agree however, something tells me San Diego would much rather have Spiller over Matthews and the fact that they traded up to 12 for Matthews tells me if Buffalo offered them #9 with Spiller on the board they would of jumped at it.

Great point. That would suggest either the Chargers did not want to offer enough to move to #9 or the Bills REALLY wanted Spiller.

mysticsoto
08-02-2010, 12:51 PM

Agree?

You use the plural form of tackles, but it should be noted that the only tackles being shown having problems are backups. Meredith, Wang, Chambers and several others are all backups. Cornell Green has looked pretty good on the right side as far as I've seen, and of course, we are all waiting (and hoping) that Bell recovers nicely.

dannyek71
08-02-2010, 12:58 PM
You use the plural form of tackles, but it should be noted that the only tackles being shown having problems are backups. Meredith, Wang, Chambers and several others are all backups. Cornell Green has looked pretty good on the right side as far as I've seen, and of course, we are all waiting (and hoping) that Bell recovers nicely.

Not sure how many practices you've been to, but I've been seeing Maybin eat Green alive. So either Maybin is doing well, or Green is doing lousy.

Also, Chambers has been playing guard from what I've seen.

WeAreArthurMoates
08-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Good to finally get a Lonnie Harvey update!

There's your boy but like I said a while ago, Troup is going to be a player this year.

Philagape
08-02-2010, 01:18 PM
It's impossible to judge the Spiller pick until we see what he can do.

And it's simplistic thinking to just lump him in as another RB. He's billed as a multi-faceted weapon whose skills go beyond his position. Last I heard, more than one RB can be on the field at the same time. More than two, even!

mysticsoto
08-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Not sure how many practices you've been to, but I've been seeing Maybin eat Green alive. So either Maybin is doing well, or Green is doing lousy.

Also, Chambers has been playing guard from what I've seen.

I've been to 2, but I also haven't read that from Mikey's reports either. However, if you have seen this, then I would agree that it is a concern.

Michael82
08-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Nice report, Danny! I decided to take a day off to do some stuff around the house and catch up on sleep. I appreciate seeing other people's point of views... :up:

BillsWin
08-02-2010, 04:29 PM
I've heard Fitzpatrick has looked just God awful. Like opening camp not as the starter really hurt his feelings. I think Tim Graham called him an "interception machine".

I've talked to some other people who have been to the camp who have said Brohm looks like the clear cut No. 2 and he has shown flashes of upside and potential.

Everyone I've talked to has said Trent is clearly the top guy, but that isn't saying much as he still makes some of the same mistakes and his long ball hasn't shown up yet.

Michael82
08-02-2010, 09:10 PM
I've heard Fitzpatrick has looked just God awful. Like opening camp not as the starter really hurt his feelings. I think Tim Graham called him an "interception machine".

I've talked to some other people who have been to the camp who have said Brohm looks like the clear cut No. 2 and he has shown flashes of upside and potential.

Everyone I've talked to has said Trent is clearly the top guy, but that isn't saying much as he still makes some of the same mistakes and his long ball hasn't shown up yet.

Ryan Fitzpatrick has looked putrid at times and just mediocre other times. I wouldn't be surprised to see Brohm start getting more and more reps and eventually bump Fitzy down the list. But so far, it's still 2a/2b rotating. :ill:

Mahdi
08-03-2010, 07:34 AM

Which makes me even more annoyed we didn't bring in Flozell Adams or any other veteran OT in FA that could start in case we find out that Bell and Meredith can't do it. Especially considering Bell is coming off a serious injury.

Anyone get the sense that they don't care too much to bring in a LT because we have nothing valuable to protect?

They might feel that it's like getting an alarm system for a 1988 Olds Cutlass.