PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawks walk away from Niemi; sign Turco to one-year deal

rbochan
08-02-2010, 11:31 AM
"The Chicago Blackhawks have walked away from the $2.75 million contract that was awarded to Antti Niemi in arbitration, which makes the Stanley Cup-winning goalie an unrestricted free agent..." (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=329318)

RockStar36
08-02-2010, 11:38 AM
I would be livid if I were a Blackhawks fan.

CuseJetsFan83
08-02-2010, 11:42 AM
all part of there scheme to kill the payroll...... not surprised but damn whats next...... trading toews or kane?

JD
08-02-2010, 11:49 AM
WOW

CuseJetsFan83
08-02-2010, 11:51 AM
you know....... part of me says go after niemi....... just to make miller and niemi work........ both striving to be 1st in pecking order.... would be great on paper, but would piss off whomever loses the competition

Nighthawk
08-02-2010, 11:53 AM
I would be livid if I were a Blackhawks fan.

I agree, but the Stanley Cup would help me get over it!

THATHURMANATOR
08-02-2010, 12:10 PM
you know....... part of me says go after niemi....... just to make miller and niemi work........ both striving to be 1st in pecking order.... would be great on paper, but would piss off whomever loses the competition
This would make zero sense. We have the Vezina winning goalie. Why would Niemi sign to a team where he would play like 10 games a year.

CuseJetsFan83
08-02-2010, 12:11 PM
This would make zero sense. We have the Vezina winning goalie. Why would Niemi sign to a team where he would play like 10 games a year.

it's the intent that you would have 2 goalies capable of playing a full season, like i said on paper it would be great but the loser would probably play piss poor

i do not see niemi being a UFA for long

Ebenezer
08-02-2010, 12:12 PM
The Hawks had to walk away with no choice; the award put them over the cap.

SabreEleven
08-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Niemi could be just a flash in the pan...he could have been just hot at the right time and suck next year just like Cam Ward.

CuseJetsFan83
08-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Niemi could be just a flash in the pan...he could have been just hot at the right time and suck next year just like Cam Ward.

true but that might be a better option than what is here as a backup

RockStar36
08-02-2010, 01:25 PM
The Hawks had to walk away with no choice; the award put them over the cap.

No they didn't. They could've signed Niemi, gone over the cap, and then cut more payroll elsewhere to get back under.

Take a look at Boston.

OpIv37
08-02-2010, 01:47 PM
I agree, but the Stanley Cup would help me get over it!

and that's the key right here. The way to win in the age of the salary cap: draft and develop as much talent as possible, then once you are close, go for broke to bring in guys who can fill in the holes. The most likely result is a year or two of cap jail, but that's worth it for a Cup (or a Super Bowl ring in the other sport with which we torture ourselves).

Ebenezer
08-02-2010, 06:11 PM
No they didn't. They could've signed Niemi, gone over the cap, and then cut more payroll elsewhere to get back under.

Take a look at Boston.
No, of course they didn't....but they chose to so that they didn't have to cut others.

YardRat
08-02-2010, 06:16 PM

There would be no competition, and Niemi would be the loser.