• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • T-Long
    Circling the Wagons since 1982.
    • Sep 2003

My take on the Schobel situation

When Bills GM Buddy Nix called a press conference after Monday morning’s practice, the media had a good idea what the topic would be: The decision on DE/OLB Aaron Schobel.

Schobel has been wrestling with the idea of returning to the Bills or simply retiring from the NFL after nine seasons. Well, since Schobel couldn’t make up his mind, Nix made it up for him.

Full Story
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Re: My take on the Schobel situation

Nice job...the bottom line?

Schobel wanted out of Buffalo and he played his little games to get his way. It will be interesting if Nix does anything to move him or forces the retirement.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

"i liked the fans for the most part"

what a douchey thing to say. Just toe the company line and say thanks and bow out gracefully.

I dont know what to make of this. the bills aren't getting anything for schobel, but i have a good feeling he's going to blow this year with his heart half in it.

Other articles i read, he really sounds like he's just done with football.

Comment

• T-Long
        Circling the Wagons since 1982.
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by trapezeus
        "i liked the fans for the most part"
        That pissed me off too but wanted to see if anyone else noticed that.

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

for the most part, we paid his $50MM contract, so he can go suck it.

For the most part, we watched him rack up useless stats and listen to wanker color commentators compare him to bruce smith.

for the most part, we watched him make zero big stops with a game on the line.

for the most part, all i really remember about thinking schobel was good was last year's NE game where he returned the touchdown.

for the most part, i hope he enjoys the hell that is texas.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by trapezeus
            for the most part, we paid his $50MM contract, so he can go suck it.

For the most part, we watched him rack up useless stats and listen to wanker color commentators compare him to bruce smith.

for the most part, we watched him make zero big stops with a game on the line.

for the most part, all i really remember about thinking schobel was good was last year's NE game where he returned the touchdown.

for the most part, i hope he enjoys the hell that is texas.
            Exactly! I, for the most part, don't remember him chasing quarterbacks around the field, forcing mistakes, and being a constant presence on the D-Line. There are those that love him because of his inflated statistics, but I have thought he was overrated and overpaid for while.

I was hoping that Buddy would pull the plug on his "too cool for school" act concerning camp. The whole "I'm 70-30" thing pissed me off. I was hoping that Buddy would put the foot down, and he did.

People are worried we will get nothing for him...we were never going to get anything for him or from him. The worst case is the game is over, and we have our team, for better or for worse. I think we are better. Schobel didn't bring that much to the 4-3, let alone the 3-4.

Comment

• Ebenezer
              Give me a minute...
              • Jul 2002

I said when he was drafted and said it the other day to Lecter...the guy would have been a superstar.....on the other side. He would have been an all-time great across from a Bruce Smith. He would have made Phil Hansen look like a college kid. But, in typical Donahoe fashion he was "escalated" and great things were expected.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                Legendary Zoner
                • May 2009

what exactly does "for the most part" mean? that a--hole can shut his ball washer right now.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                  • Dec 2003

I've posted this many a time and hopefully it won't fall on deaf ears but the biggest issue is he followed the steps of Bruce Smith. Yet for some odd reason people fail to remember that Smith was a pure once in a franchise type player. Whereas Aaron Schobel was"only" above averagely and if look back it can easily be debated that he was 2nd best DE in this franchise's history.

Look back to that 2001 NFL draft and the DEs selected, Schobel was the best of his class which is all we could have asked for him to be. Yet again because he followed Smith fans didn't think he was as good as the stats he posted suggested. Toss in in this era of free agency he spent his entire NFL career as a Bill which I don't think you can say for the other DEs in his draft class that are still playing. I for one am sad to lose him. Of course with the shift to the 3-4 defense am not sure that Schobel make the transition easily, as liken him to Aaron Kampman who struggled last year in Green Bay with the 3-4 and who's now in Jacksonville playing the 4-3 again.

1 1 4 4 Justin Smith Bengals Missouri
                  2 1 7 7 Andre Carter 49ers California
                  3 1 10 10 Jamal Reynolds Packers Florida State
                  4 1 29 29 Ryan Pickett Rams Ohio State
                  5 2 3 34 Kyle Vanden Bosch Cardinals Nebraska
                  6 2 15 46 Aaron Schobel Bills Texas Christian
                  7 2 20 51 Paul Toviessi Broncos Marshall
                  8 3 1 63 Derrick Burgess Eagles Mississippi
                  9 3 25 87 Reggie Hayward Broncos Iowa State
                  10 3 27 89 DeLawrence Grant Raiders Oregon State
                  11 4 8 103 Karon Riley Bears Minnesota
                  12 4 12 107 Monty Beisel Chiefs Kansas State
                  13 4 19 114 Cedric Scott Giants Southern Mississippi
                  14 6 4 167 Randy Garner Falcons Arkansas
                  15 6 5 168 Riall Johnson Bengals Stanford
                  16 6 18 181 Rodney Bailey Steelers Ohio State
                  17 6 20 183 Ellis Wyms Buccaneers Mississippi State
                  18 6 21 184 Chris Cooper Raiders Nebraska-Omaha
                  19 6 24 187 Otis Leverette Dolphins Alabama-Birmingham
                  20 6 28 191 Menson Holloway 49ers Texas-El Paso
                  21 7 7 207 Colston Weatherington Cowboys Central Miss State
                  22 7 26 226 Ronald Flemons Falcons Texas A&M
                  23 7 30 230 Ross Kolodziej Giants Wisconsin
                  24 7 31 231 Dwayne Missouri Ravens Northwestern
                  25 7 34 234 Joe Tafoya Buccaneers Arizona

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • May 2009

he was not that good, average best describes him. many of his sacks are garbage from garbage time.
                    Last edited by BertSquirtgum; 08-03-2010, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts
                      he was not that good, average best describes him. many of his sacks are garbage from garbage time.
                      and to play devil's advocate one could argue that many of Bruce's sacks came about because he played on a team that often gave him a lead and he could then pin his ears back and pass rush at will. I know it's easy to say Schobel was no Bruce because he wasn't but he was above average but sadly played on a below average team. Schobel was a play maker, as pretty sure he has the most career sacks on a future HOF QB named Tom Brady and still have fresh in my mind his INT and TD against said QB that should have given us a win last year had McKelvin hadn't fumbled the ball in last year's season opener.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                        I said when he was drafted and said it the other day to Lecter...the guy would have been a superstar.....on the other side. He would have been an all-time great across from a Bruce Smith. He would have made Phil Hansen look like a college kid. But, in typical Donahoe fashion he was "escalated" and great things were expected.
                        I'd take Phil Hansen over Schobel 100 times out of 100.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• The Jokeman
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by YardRat
                          I'd take Phil Hansen over Schobel 100 times out of 100.
                          You're crazy. Schobel was a way better DE.

Here's a post I made in 2006 on another board. Feel free to look up the numbers and maybe you'll understand that Phil's "greatness" due his playing with a great player. As Ebenezer points out when look closer at the numbers it's clear that who was the better player.

Many like to compare Schobel to Phil Hansen but the reality he is far superior. As Schobel's collected 55.0 sacks in 91 career games, compare that to Hansen's 61.5 in 156 games and then tell me who's the better pass rusher. He's also surpassed Hansen in interceptions and forced fumbles and they're equals in pass defensed at 20 again despite playing in a little more then half as many games. I know someone will retort Hansen was a better run stuffer, well stats due support this as Phil averaged 4.06 tackles per game compare that to Schobel's 3.30. To put that in perspective, over a season that amounts to about 8 more tackles per season hardly a significant difference if ask me.
                          Last edited by The Jokeman; 08-03-2010, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                            • Mar 2005

Aaron, for "the most part" I hated you!

Good riddance.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                              Unreachable Douche
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Jokeman
                              and to play devil's advocate one could argue that many of Bruce's sacks came about because he played on a team that often gave him a lead and he could then pin his ears back and pass rush at will. I know it's easy to say Schobel was no Bruce because he wasn't but he was above average but sadly played on a below average team.

Difference is Bruce Smith had 200 career sacks, Schobel has 78.

Teams game plan against great DE, I've never read anywhere teams game planning against Schobel.

Comment

Working...
                              X