PDA

View Full Version : Brian Brohm takes first team snaps

BillsWin
08-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Brian Brohm taking snaps with first-string offense but mainly this is a run-fit period. Don't read anything into it.

http://twitter.com/salmaiorana

Sal says not to read into it, but I know people will. I may read into it a little bit too.

I'm like that. :idunno:

hydro
08-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Put HHurricane on suicide watch!

OpIv37
08-03-2010, 03:34 PM
even if someone does read into it, who cares? None of our QB's are good enough to win and QB will be our #1 priority next off-season, period.

THATHURMANATOR
08-03-2010, 03:38 PM
even if someone does read into it, who cares? None of our QB's are good enough to win and QB will be our #1 priority next off-season, period.
You have 0 confidence that Chan can get something out of one of these guys? I am not saying I am overly confident but I hold out a small amount of hope.

The last buffalo fan
08-03-2010, 03:39 PM
You have 0 confidence that Chan can get something out of one of these guys? I am not saying I am overly confident but I hold out a small amount of hope.

:hi5: I don't know what persona I do admire the most, the real Thrum or the facebook Corey. :up:

hydro
08-03-2010, 03:40 PM

Hope isn't in Op's vocabulary. He is not capable of hoping.

BillsWin
08-03-2010, 03:41 PM
I agree with OP that so far, from what we've seen from these QBs, they aren't very good. Of course, some people may still hold out hope for Gailey to get something out of Edwards or Brohm but to be honest with our tackles, they may not get a good chance.

I'd say we are almost certain to go QB and LT with our top two picks next season.

From camp indications, our run blocking (especially inside) isn't bad. But, our pass protection is awful.

If I were the GM, I'd give up Schobel and a 3rd or 4th to San Diego for McNeil.

But that's just me. I really think we need a LT and soon.

OpIv37
08-03-2010, 03:42 PM

I think Chan will get more out of them than Dick will. But Brohm just doesn't have the skills for the NFL, Fitzy is a career back-up, and whatever chance Trent had is ruined because he's shell-shocked due to Jauron's incompetence.

And Brown is unknown, but it's rare that 6th round QB's become quality starters in the NFL.

Even with better coaching, I just don't see any of these guys being the answer at QB.

Beebe's Kid
08-03-2010, 03:43 PM

He's just realistic...

Good for Brohm. I am reading into it. It was only a matter of time anyway. Brohm will be the QB.

Beebe's Kid
08-03-2010, 03:46 PM
I agree with OP that so far, from what we've seen from these QBs, they aren't very good. Of course, some people may still hold out hope for Gailey to get something out of Edwards or Brohm but to be honest with our tackles, they may not get a good chance.

I'd say we are almost certain to go QB and LT with our top two picks next season.

From camp indications, our run blocking (especially inside) isn't bad. But, our pass protection is awful.

BW, with all due respect, everybody was "certain" we would have to go QB and LT with our first two pics this year...well, of course, except for Buddy Nix.

Actually the reports on Brohm sound encouraging to me.

OpIv37
08-03-2010, 03:48 PM

not entirely correct.

I hope the Bills do well every single year.

I'm incapable of believing that it will actually happen until I see some evidence to suggest it.

BillsWin
08-03-2010, 03:50 PM
BW, with all due respect, everybody was "certain" we would have to go QB and LT with our first two pics this year...well, of course, except for Buddy Nix.

Actually the reports on Brohm sound encouraging to me.

True. Very true.

I have also heard good things about Brohm. Him getting first team reps is kind of cool. Maybe this competition goes into the preseason. It would make me want to watch!

Prov401
08-03-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm confused here. I'm reading a ton of conflicting reports during these first 5 days of camp. I've heard Brohm looks terrible, I've heard Brohm has the weakest arm. I've also heard that Brohm has the strongest arm. Brohm has the most zip. Brohm has threaded the needle quite a few times. Brohm is actually looking like the best QB.

And on top of all these reports, Chris Brown is even worse at reporting how the QB race is looking.

Can somebody please tell me, or us, how Brohm has actually looked during camp?

PromoTheRobot
08-03-2010, 04:05 PM

Can you clarify what you mean when you state that our QBs have not shown us anything? Do you mean in 2009? In OTAs? In Camp? 2009 I can agree. OTAs and training camp unless you are watching all of it I don't think you can judge yet. Please don't tell me you are forming your opinion based on 10 seconds video clips on BB.com.

PTR

PromoTheRobot
08-03-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm confused here. I'm reading a ton of conflicting reports during these first 5 days of camp. I've heard Brohm looks terrible, I've heard Brohm has the weakest arm. I've also heard that Brohm has the strongest arm. Brohm has the most zip. Brohm has threaded the needle quite a few times. Brohm is actually looking like the best QB.

And on top of all these reports, Chris Brown is even worse at reporting how the QB race is looking.

Mostly it's the peanut gallery who sees one pass on a BB.com video and makes a judgement on that.

PTR

BillsWin
08-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Can you clarify what you mean when you state that our QBs have not shown us anything? Do you mean in 2009? In OTAs? In Camp? 2009 I can agree. OTAs and training camp unless you are watching all of it I don't think you can judge yet. Please don't tell me you are forming your opinion based on 10 seconds video clips on BB.com.

PTR

Past seasons. I don't hold practice as high as others. If you can't show consistency on the field, then you haven't proven anything. So 2009 is a great example.

BillsWin
08-03-2010, 04:10 PM

Here's a post on BBMB I found interesting. This guy says he was there the other day and says what he saw was different from the other reports.

OK, I don't get it. I have been watching all the videos of practice, been reading all the reports from the media and the other posters and I admit it, I am not sure what the heck people are seeing, watching, observing....whatever.

Let me explain.

Trent Edwards - The report from everyone has been that he is "clearly the best QB in camp." That's not what I saw. Heck, there was a report TONIGHT from a guy who was there that said his confidence was back and he looked good. I disagree.

Edwards is your prototypical "pat the ball" QB who throws the safe ball only when the receiver is looking at him. 7-7 I was counting 4 seconds at least every play before he would release the ball and every time it was after the receiver broke his route off. He would take his 5 step drop and scan the field, scan the field then throw. And that ain't gonna work with this offensive line.

His best pass of the night was the Roscoe TD that I called from the stands. Why? Cause Roscoe went in motion and no one went with him.....he was WIDE OPEN the whole play. Trent saw it, and made the play. Thumbs up for him on that play.

Levi Brown - The report from most are he is playing well. I have also read he is the 2nd best QB in camp. My opinion? HE WAS BAD.

Yes, he is a rookie,....but his passes were bad and he even botched a snap. The coaches had all the QB's doing this quick release drill where they were throwing quick passes to a receiver in the end zone and Levi's mechanics broke down so much he was throwing the ball side arm. BAD.

Brian Brohm - Reports from fans are that he is not good, and the Media swings both ways. What I saw? He was the best QB on the field. He was the ONLY QB throwing with any sort of rhythm at all. In the same 7-7 drill, he was dropping 5 steps then planting and throwing. He looked like a QB....not a sitting duck. His passes were crisp he appeared confident and poised.

Fitz - BAD. Need I say more? He took all the 2nd team reps..... Throws with a little more anticipation than Trent, but not much. He will not make the roster in my opinion.

cocamide
08-03-2010, 04:16 PM
I think Chan will get more out of them than Dick will. But Brohm just doesn't have the skills for the NFL, Fitzy is a career back-up, and whatever chance Trent had is ruined because he's shell-shocked due to Jauron's incompetence.

And Brown is unknown, but it's rare that 6th round QB's become quality starters in the NFL.

Even with better coaching, I just don't see any of these guys being the answer at QB.
I think this 'shell-shocked' theory is complete crap. You're a recent graduate that did well in school, and you go to work for some company that ends up having horrible management. This results in you making a lot of mistakes and not really learning anything for your first few years. So, because you didn't succeed right out of school, you're never going to be successful in your career? It doesn't seem to make sense for the corporate world, so why would it be any different in an athletic career?

I can see how a weak-minded person might never recover because they'd pick up bad habits and might not be smart enough to break them, but Trent seems to be pretty intelligent. Maybe you're right, but is this 'shell-shocked' idea a valid theory supported by evidence, or is it just some crap made up by armchair quarterbacks?

Philagape
08-03-2010, 04:22 PM

It's scenarios like this that make this board really embarrassing sometimes.

cpearl
08-03-2010, 04:24 PM
I keep coming back to this fact:

How many games did we lose the past 2 years that we should have won? 5? 6? Basically, the loses came down to play calling, fundamentals, and confidence, right? Let's say that Gailey and the coaches improve the team in all these area - which seems to be the focus. With a new defense that plays to our players' strengths, I can see the team winning 7-9 games this year and surprising some teams. Remember: Any given Sunday.

Mahdi
08-03-2010, 04:30 PM
http://twitter.com/salmaiorana

Sal says not to read into it, but I know people will. I may read into it a little bit too.

I'm like that. :idunno:
Of course we're going to read into it... this is very significant. Brohm taking reps over Edwards means Brohm is showing his worth in the competition and the coaches feel there is a possibility Brohm can win the competition.

Philagape
08-03-2010, 04:32 PM
They have said all along it's a competition, and presumably that means any QB in it would get first-team snaps.
Just means no one's won the competition yet.

better days
08-03-2010, 04:40 PM
They have said all along it's a competition, and presumably that means any QB in it would get first-team snaps.

And yet Brohm is taking the snaps ahead of Fitz. I'm reading into it.

X-Era
08-03-2010, 04:41 PM

Wait until about April next year and watch how a post like this will go over like a lead fart. I promise there will be a HUGE number of people saying we should not spend our high 1st on a QB... book it.

X-Era
08-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Interestingly, he had a great day yesterday by all reports. Maybe, Gailey is true to his word and this is still an open competition.

It also interesting that Fitz has been lost in the mix in the past few weeks. I still think he's the one who's cut.

BillsWin
08-03-2010, 04:52 PM
From CBS yesterday morning:
11:10 am Buffalo's QB competition may not be over yet. After Trent Edwards' worst stretch of camp – two INTs and another near-pick – Brian Brohm had his best series, displaying accuracy and decision-making ability.

X-Era
08-03-2010, 04:54 PM
From CBS yesterday morning:

I don't think Brohm has claimed the top spot... I only think he has pushed Fitz even farther out of it and that he has a legit shot.

JCBills
08-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Wait until about April next year and watch how a post like this will go over like a lead fart. I promise there will be a HUGE number of people saying we should not spend our high 1st on a QB... book it.

I was saying this last season / draft, what's the shocker here? Early QB guarantees nothing, a lot of times it isn't worth it. Yeah, you have the Matt Ryans that can perform at a high level from his first career snap and forward, but for every one of those there are 15 failures.

X-Era
08-03-2010, 04:57 PM
I was saying this last year, what's the shocker here?

Who's shocked?

EDS
08-03-2010, 05:01 PM
I keep coming back to this fact:

How many games did we lose the past 2 years that we should have won? 5? 6? Basically, the loses came down to play calling, fundamentals, and confidence, right? Let's say that Gailey and the coaches improve the team in all these area - which seems to be the focus. With a new defense that plays to our players' strengths, I can see the team winning 7-9 games this year and surprising some teams. Remember: Any given Sunday.

Does the new defense play to the teams strengths? There is no established nose tackle, which is generally considered an important piece for a 3-4. There are also no proven pass rushers. Most of the outside linebacker candidates did not play that position last year. Same with some of the defensive ends. The only linebacker with experience in the 3-4 is a veteran retread.

I am as thrilled as anyone to see the old defense go, and its complete inability to stop the run, but to me a lot of things need to come together for the defense to be both solid and consistent.

djjimkelly
08-03-2010, 05:02 PM

regardless id like to see someone new fail :couch:

JCBills
08-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Here's a post on BBMB I found interesting. This guy says he was there the other day and says what he saw was different from the other reports.

Even though it's just the scraps of highlights we get to see, I thought Trent was taking advantage of his red jersey during OTAs, and noticed it on the TC videos as well. One of the things he excelled at before The Hit was getting the ball out under pressure, throwing a good portion of his TDs while being hit, but I haven't seen in games much since. Chances are he'll be out by week 3 if he can't re-gain his decisiveness and learn to trust his WRs.

JCBills
08-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Who's shocked?

Lol no idea that's why I didn't get the book it statement. I'm over it.

Albany,n.y.
08-03-2010, 05:09 PM
He's just realistic...

Good for Brohm. I am reading into it. It was only a matter of time anyway. Brohm will be the QB.
You must be a fan of the Hartford Colonials. That's the only team he has a chance of being the QB of.

wmoz11
08-03-2010, 05:09 PM
So Brohm's only period as #1 was a run-pro and people are going crazy? Read up on the rest of the practice's details and you'll notice that Trent was #1 for the remaining sessions.

Maybe Trent had to take a **** during that session?

JCBills
08-03-2010, 05:11 PM
So Brohm's only period as #1 was a run-pro and people are going crazy? Read up on the rest of the practice's details and you'll notice that Trent was #1 for the remaining sessions.

Maybe Trent had to take a **** during that session?

Who's going crazy? He got some time with the #1s, that's all anyone is saying. Why so serious?

wmoz11
08-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Probably bad choice of words, admittedly. The activity on this thread is astounding compared to most of the threads around when this is really nothing. I suppose I understand the interest if it's looked at in a vacuum and not compared to the rest of practice.

trapezeus
08-03-2010, 05:56 PM
what is a run-fit as mentioned in the original post?

HHURRICANE
08-03-2010, 07:37 PM
If Brohm wins the job all the power to him. i don't see it happening but I just want to win at this point.

If Edwards loses the starting job in an open competition we should just cut the guy at this point.

HHURRICANE
08-03-2010, 08:02 PM
He's just realistic...

HAHAHAAHAHAHHAAHA!!!!

I love this! I can't wait for pre-season. You guys obvioulsy haven't watched Brohm in the NFL but you will take anything over Edwards.

Brohm, right now, has a better chance of getting cut than making this team.

Nighthawk
08-03-2010, 08:05 PM
HAHAHAAHAHAHHAAHA!!!!

I love this! I can't wait for pre-season. You guys obvioulsy haven't watched Brohm in the NFL but you will take anything over Edwards.

I think you're wrong about him getting cut. Fitz has been horrible in camp so far.

HHURRICANE
08-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Uhhh, not reading anything that said Brohm was great today.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2010/08/defensive-upper-hand.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Fbuffalonews%2Fbillboard+%28BillBoard%29

The Jokeman
08-03-2010, 08:26 PM

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2010/08/defensive-upper-hand.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Fbuffalonews%2Fbillboard+%28BillBoard%29
Did Marv Levy once say something along the lines if you have two good starting QBs you don't have a true #1 QB? To be honest I'm scared that we're so quick to move away from Edwards for Brohm. While I'm all for giving Brohm a chance, I just can't believe that the Packers thought so low of him to not even have him on their active roster that we should really expect him to be the guy we've been longing for all these years. Yet would love nothing more then to be proven wrong.

jmb1099
08-03-2010, 08:34 PM

Did it say he was great? No. Does it appear he out-performed Edwards for the second straight day? Yes.

djjimkelly
08-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Did Marv Levy once say something along the lines if you have two good starting QBs you don't have a true #1 QB? To be honest I'm scared that we're so quick to move away from Edwards for Brohm. While I'm all for giving Brohm a chance, I just can't believe that the Packers thought so low of him to not even have him on their active roster that we should really expect him to be the guy we've been longing for all these years. Yet would love nothing more then to be proven wrong.

maybe you should look into the situation a little further green bay had issues on their o line so they tried to pass him through waivers to hit the practice squad. the bills took him from waivers.

now i know lots will say he was #3 there and was beat out by a rookie. well we dont know the full story why he was the 3rd qb.

however he was not released. we dont know if he rubbed someone the wrong way or they didnt see him as a fit in their system or so on.

but he was on the active roster and he was put on waivers because rodgers is the man and they severly needed O line help.

The Jokeman
08-03-2010, 08:45 PM
maybe you should look into the situation a little further green bay had issues on their o line so they tried to pass him through waivers to hit the practice squad. the bills took him from waivers.

now i know lots will say he was #3 there and was beat out by a rookie. well we dont know the full story why he was the 3rd qb.

however he was not released. we dont know if he rubbed someone the wrong way or they didnt see him as a fit in their system or so on.

but he was on the active roster and he was put on waivers because rodgers is the man and they severly needed O line help.
But he was still behind Matt Flynn, who was drafted 5 rounds after him, on the depth chart in Green Bay. Again 3rd string to to franchise QB is asking a lot. I know everyone can point to Brett Favre but sadly he was an exception compared to the rule. I'll be honest the more and more I watch this franchise the more and more I think Wilson prefer us to be average or below average because it's a better for him economically. Again I hope I'm wrong but call me a downer but it's been 11 years since we made the playoffs and don't see it happening anytime soon with the questions we have at QB, O-line, WR, TE as well as the DE opposite Dwan Edwards, NT and OLB. It just feels like yet another rebuilding year but it could be a year that finally gets us a top 5 pick in next year's draft or at best in the middle of the pack again.

psubills62
08-03-2010, 09:10 PM
But he was still behind Matt Flynn, who was drafted 5 rounds after him, on the depth chart in Green Bay. Again 3rd string to to franchise QB is asking a lot. I know everyone can point to Brett Favre but sadly he was an exception compared to the rule. I'll be honest the more and more I watch this franchise the more and more I think Wilson prefer us to be average or below average because it's a better for him economically. Again I hope I'm wrong but call me a downer but it's been 11 years since we made the playoffs and don't see it happening anytime soon with the questions we have at QB, O-line, WR, TE as well as the DE opposite Dwan Edwards, NT and OLB. It just feels like yet another rebuilding year but it could be a year that finally gets us a top 5 pick in next year's draft or at best in the middle of the pack again.

I think Brohm's experience in Green Bay showed two things: 1) he wasn't worth a 2nd round pick, and 2) he suffers when knowing he has no shot at the starting job.

I truly think the mental aspect of knowing he has no shot at being the starter in Green Bay hurt him. With Flynn, it's no big deal because he had very little expectations, especially as a 7th rounder. Brohm went from being hyped as a possibly top pick before his senior season to fighting for a backup job in Green Bay. You don't think that has an effect on him?

psubills62
08-03-2010, 09:11 PM
HAHAHAAHAHAHHAAHA!!!!

How is that? From what I've read he's outperformed Fitz easily so far. Gailey said before TC that the QB race is close, and I believe him. It's definitely closer than you seem to believe.

psubills62
08-03-2010, 09:14 PM

Didn't say anything good about the other QB's in that blog either.

The Jokeman
08-03-2010, 09:27 PM
How is that? From what I've read he's outperformed Fitz easily so far. Gailey said before TC that the QB race is close, and I believe him. It's definitely closer than you seem to believe.
I kind of agree with HHURICANE in think that Fizgerald has all the makings to be a #2. As he's shown he can win at times and is an average at best starting QB. While Brohm might offer much upside honestly that means he's better suited to be a #3 but again let's not forget this GM/coaching staff drafted Levi Brown who to me could serve as a #3. So it's possible that whomever loses out between Edwards and Brohm for the starting job could end up being cut. As things stand now think Edwards gets the nod as seems like Gailey's said more good things on Trent than Brohm.

psubills62
08-03-2010, 09:36 PM
I kind of agree with HHURICANE in think that Fizgerald has all the makings to be a #2. As he's shown he can win at times and is an average at best starting QB. While Brohm might offer much upside honestly that means he's better suited to be a #3 but again let's not forget this GM/coaching staff drafted Levi Brown who to me could serve as a #3. So it's possible that whomever loses out between Edwards and Brohm for the starting job could end up being cut. As things stand now think Edwards gets the nod as seems like Gailey's said more good things on Trent than Brohm.

Brohm isn't suited for a #3 if the coaching staff is helping realize his upside. At this point, I don't want a guy with zero upside playing as the #2 QB. We have so little talent at QB, we need as much potential as we can get.

I just don't understand your argument. If the coaches think Brohm is good enough to fight Edwards for the starting job, why would he be cut because Fitzpatrick "has all the makings to be a #2"? If Brohm outplays Fitz in TC, then he should be the #2, period. I don't want Fitz as the #2 just because that's his ceiling. I'd rather have a guy who, unlikely as it may be, could possibly become a good starter if/when Edwards goes down.

In the end, I believe Fitz will get cut. Edwards will be #1, Brohm will be #2, Brown will be inactive on gameday.

Philagape
08-03-2010, 09:43 PM
I think Brohm's experience in Green Bay showed two things: 1) he wasn't worth a 2nd round pick, and 2) he suffers when knowing he has no shot at the starting job.

I truly think the mental aspect of knowing he has no shot at being the starter in Green Bay hurt him. With Flynn, it's no big deal because he had very little expectations, especially as a 7th rounder. Brohm went from being hyped as a possibly top pick before his senior season to fighting for a backup job in Green Bay. You don't think that has an effect on him?

Very weak excuse.
If that messed him up so bad that he got beat out by Flynn, then he deserved what he got and is even more of a mental basket case than Edwards.
If you can't play your best because of where you are on the depth chart, you don't even belong in the NFL.

better days
08-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Very weak excuse.
If that messed him up so bad that he got beat out by Flynn, then he deserved what he got and is even more of a mental basket case than Edwards.
If you can't play your best because of where you are on the depth chart, you don't even belong in the NFL.

Brohm has said it affected him. The question is has he gotten over it? So far it looks like he has.

We will not know if Trent has gotten over that hit until he faces a real defense.

Ingtar33
08-03-2010, 09:49 PM

I agree with this 100%

The Jokeman
08-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Brohm isn't suited for a #3 if the coaching staff is helping realize his upside. At this point, I don't want a guy with zero upside playing as the #2 QB. We have so little talent at QB, we need as much potential as we can get.

I just don't understand your argument. If the coaches think Brohm is good enough to fight Edwards for the starting job, why would he be cut because Fitzpatrick "has all the makings to be a #2"? If Brohm outplays Fitz in TC, then he should be the #2, period. I don't want Fitz as the #2 just because that's his ceiling. I'd rather have a guy who, unlikely as it may be, could possibly become a good starter if/when Edwards goes down.

In the end, I believe Fitz will get cut. Edwards will be #1, Brohm will be #2, Brown will be inactive on gameday.
Because the way I see most NFL rosters is your #1 is your best QB, your #2 is your serviceable backup and your #3 is your guy with development potential and agree that not a good spot for Brohm. Honestly Brohm didn't impress me in his only start last year and yes, it was his only NFL start but he struggled and guess think Edwards is far superior and why he'll end up winning and why Brohm will see the curb is we're hoping he h shows to be better then Edwards but in the end can't see him surpassing him. Again a backup QB is a caretaker QB on most squads, see Byron Leftwhich, Chad Pennington, Kerry Collins. In fact Edwards could also fill this role if was backing up someone like Brees, Brady or Manning.

psubills62
08-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Very weak excuse.

:rolleyes: Whether you like it or not, these things do affect players. They're not robots. If you were Brohm and knew that the best you could do in Green Bay was #2, would you really put all your effort into it? Some guys would, some guys won't, whether consciously or subconsciously.

And where did I say anything about being a mental basket case? Just because someone is psychologically affected by something doesn't make them a basket case. Players have been mentally affected by injuries, even after being fully recovered. Does that make them basket cases?

Like I said, I don't consider Brohm to be that good, and obviously that was a major factor in why he didn't do well in Green Bay. If Brohm performs better here than he did in Green Bay, then there has to be some reason, whether it's coaching or whatever.

Philagape
08-03-2010, 10:02 PM
:rolleyes: Whether you like it or not, these things do affect players. They're not robots. If you were Brohm and knew that the best you could do in Green Bay was #2, would you really put all your effort into it? Some guys would, some guys won't, whether consciously or subconsciously.

If a team pays a guy over a million dollars for carrying a clipboard, **** YEAH HE BETTER PUT ALL HIS EFFORT INTO IT.

And where did I say anything about being a mental basket case? Just because someone is psychologically affected by something doesn't make them a basket case. Players have been mentally affected by injuries, even after being fully recovered. Does that make them basket cases?

No, but tanking your own career because you don't like your spot in the pecking order does.

psubills62
08-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Because the way I see most NFL rosters is your #1 is your best QB, your #2 is your serviceable backup and your #3 is your guy with development potential and agree that not a good spot for Brohm. Honestly Brohm didn't impress me in his only start last year and yes, it was his only NFL start but he struggled and guess think Edwards is far superior and why he'll end up winning and why Brohm will see the curb is we're hoping he h shows to be better then Edwards but in the end can't see him surpassing him. Again a backup QB is a caretaker QB on most squads, see Byron Leftwhich, Chad Pennington, Kerry Collins. In fact Edwards could also fill this role if was backing up someone like Brees, Brady or Manning.

Well, I'd prefer that #'s 1 and 2 be the best two QB's on the roster, which right now appears to be Edwards and Brohm. Brohm definitely wasn't impressive last year, especially against a weak Atlanta team, but consider the situation. He had been on the team for how long, with how much help? Though that's only a legit excuse as long as he does well in the opposite situation - having been prepared to start.

Backups aren't always caretakers; Matt Leinart, Curtis Painter, Brian Hoyer are three examples off the top of my head. It seems to me that most every caretaker #2 QB was a starting QB at one point, and now is relegated to a backup role because of wearing down due to injuries (Pennington) or age (Collins). Fitzpatrick was never a true starting QB, and imo is not a good caretaker QB. I'd rather have Brohm at #2, especially if he's the better QB in TC. I still don't see why someone wouldn't want the better QB to be #2 instead of cut from the team.

psubills62
08-03-2010, 10:15 PM
If a team pays a guy over a million dollars for carrying a clipboard, **** YEAH HE BETTER PUT ALL HIS EFFORT INTO IT.

No, but tanking your own career because you don't like your spot in the pecking order does.

Yes, that's the view of the average fan. If that was true, Albert Haynesworth would be putting every bit of effort he had into practice. So would Aaron Schobel, Marcus McNeill, Vincent Jackson, Marshawn Lynch, etc. There are a million examples of this. A million dollars is nothing

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. Sorry, even if Brohm consciously slacked off because he wasn't happy with where he was on the depth chart, it doesn't make him a basket case. Seems to me you're just making a big deal out of something because you can. Who's to even say my speculation is right?

The Jokeman
08-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Well, I'd prefer that #'s 1 and 2 be the best two QB's on the roster, which right now appears to be Edwards and Brohm. Brohm definitely wasn't impressive last year, especially against a weak Atlanta team, but consider the situation. He had been on the team for how long, with how much help? Though that's only a legit excuse as long as he does well in the opposite situation - having been prepared to start.

Backups aren't always caretakers; Matt Leinart, Curtis Painter, Brian Hoyer are three examples off the top of my head. It seems to me that most every caretaker #2 QB was a starting QB at one point, and now is relegated to a backup role because of wearing down due to injuries (Pennington) or age (Collins). Fitzpatrick was never a true starting QB, and imo is not a good caretaker QB. I'd rather have Brohm at #2, especially if he's the better QB in TC. I still don't see why someone wouldn't want the better QB to be #2 instead of cut from the team.
Yeah but the non caretaker example QBs you listed were all behind 3 of the best/more durable QBs in the league in Warner, Manning and Brady. I agree Fitz was never a true starting QB but liked him to Frank Reich. Of course Frank was arguably a better talent and had a better team around him then Fitz currently has.

Philagape
08-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Yes, that's the view of the average fan. If that was true, Albert Haynesworth would be putting every bit of effort he had into practice. So would Aaron Schobel, Marcus McNeill, Vincent Jackson, Marshawn Lynch, etc. There are a million examples of this. A million dollars is nothing

And every time it's inexcusable, even more so for a young guy trying to make a team.

And a second-round pick getting cut in his second season is a big deal. For whatever reason. It destroys any cred he had coming into the league. He should be counting his blessings that the Bills took his career out of the toilet. (and it's still in the bowl until he proves otherwise)

OpIv37
08-03-2010, 10:30 PM
I think this 'shell-shocked' theory is complete crap. You're a recent graduate that did well in school, and you go to work for some company that ends up having horrible management. This results in you making a lot of mistakes and not really learning anything for your first few years. So, because you didn't succeed right out of school, you're never going to be successful in your career? It doesn't seem to make sense for the corporate world, so why would it be any different in an athletic career?

I can see how a weak-minded person might never recover because they'd pick up bad habits and might not be smart enough to break them, but Trent seems to be pretty intelligent. Maybe you're right, but is this 'shell-shocked' idea a valid theory supported by evidence, or is it just some crap made up by armchair quarterbacks?

I think the key difference between your example and Trent is that when Trent- or the people around him- make mistakes, that has the potential to cause him serious pain and even moderate to severe injuries.

When most of us make a mistake, we learn from it and move on, and we don't sit there thinking "oh God, what if I make that mistake again?" However, if that mistake resulted in a 230 lb safety planting his helmet under our chin and laying us out flat on our backs, then maybe we'd go through life thinking "oh God, what if I make that mistake again?"

Mr. Pink
08-03-2010, 10:38 PM
A QB has to be mentally tough to succeed in this league.

If Brohm was pouting about being #3 in GB, he's not mentally tough enough to succeed at this level. Period.

And about the "gailey being able to get more out of these guys than jauron" comment. It's hard to get something out of nothing.

It really is meaningless which guy starts because basically they're all crap and shouldn't be in any teams discussion as a starter.

psubills62
08-04-2010, 08:29 AM
And every time it's inexcusable, even more so for a young guy trying to make a team.

And a second-round pick getting cut in his second season is a big deal. For whatever reason. It destroys any cred he had coming into the league. He should be counting his blessings that the Bills took his career out of the toilet. (and it's still in the bowl until he proves otherwise)

Like I said, making a mountain out of a molehill. Inexcusable to who? You? Nobody cares if you think it's inexcusable. It may have happened, but now he's here competing for a job. If he plays well, what does it matter?

psubills62
08-04-2010, 08:35 AM

If Brohm was pouting about being #3 in GB, he's not mentally tough enough to succeed at this level. Period.

And about the "gailey being able to get more out of these guys than jauron" comment. It's hard to get something out of nothing.

It really is meaningless which guy starts because basically they're all crap and shouldn't be in any teams discussion as a starter.

People sure love to take what I say and run with it to their own conclusions. When did anyone say that Brohm "pouted"? Saying it could have mentally affected him does not equate to Brohm actively playing poorly because he's not happy.

Heck, Edwards seems to have an obvious mental block as well, yet there's plenty of people rooting for him to win the starting job. It's obvious none of these guys should be starters, but it's what we've got right now, so one of them has to be.

cocamide
08-04-2010, 09:59 AM
I think the key difference between your example and Trent is that when Trent- or the people around him- make mistakes, that has the potential to cause him serious pain and even moderate to severe injuries.

When most of us make a mistake, we learn from it and move on, and we don't sit there thinking "oh God, what if I make that mistake again?" However, if that mistake resulted in a 230 lb safety planting his helmet under our chin and laying us out flat on our backs, then maybe we'd go through life thinking "oh God, what if I make that mistake again?"

If anything, I would think you'd learn faster with such strong negative reinforcement. As a kid, you touch a hot stove once, and you never make that mistake again. I'm really not sure what Trent's going to do this year. If he can't change himself mentally after having some horrible coaching, then he's not mentally strong enough to be in the league and handle the pressure anyways.

djjimkelly
08-04-2010, 10:17 AM

he was not cut please keep the facts straight

Ickybaluky
08-04-2010, 10:40 AM

Yes, he was. He was cut and cleared waivers, which means that every other team passed on a chance to pick him up. The Pack then signed him to their PS.

JCBills
08-04-2010, 04:51 PM

He was, but even then it has little to no relevance.

Philagape
08-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Nobody cares if you think it's inexcusable.

Obviously, you do.

Philagape
08-04-2010, 04:57 PM
And someone needs to learn how the practice squad works.

Ingtar33
08-04-2010, 08:18 PM

Steve Young was both vocal and childish when he ended up 2nd fiddle to Joe Montana... and yes... he pouted for about 2 years before growing up.

Tbuffalobills
08-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Just let Brohm Start- ..... What do we have to lose- another 7-9 Season- aaahhh