Why do people act like were not addressing the oline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsOwnAll
    My IQ Test results came back negative
    • Oct 2002

Why do people act like were not addressing the oline?

Wood, leivitre,bell, merideth,wang...

All young O line talent... I not saying there all going to be great but give them more then a rookie season to prove it.
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Re: Why do people act like were not addressing the oline?

I think our OT's CAN be better than people give them credit for. Bell performed decently for being a second-year, sudden starter in a no-huddle offense, and a former 7th-round pick at that with only a few years of experience in organized football. We also have a decent number of adequate RT's.

That being said, I think people believe they haven't addressed it because we just don't have much talent there. Could we get by if there are no injuries? Yeah, we could be below-average in pass blocking and above average in run-blocking, but it would really help our bad QB's if we could get a great OL.

I like our interior, it's the OT's that are the main problem. If our QB's are bad, it would at least be nice to help them out with a decent OL. But we haven't spent a draft pick higher than a 5th rounder on an OT since Mike Williams, I believe. Wang has had two injuries before his first season....well you can get the picture.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
      • Jul 2002

Bell is our wildcard. Can he come off injury and perform at an adequate level? If so it frees Meredith to battle it out with Green at RT. I think Meredith is more suited for the right side.

Any notes about Bell so far this camp?

Comment

• X-Era
        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
        Bell is our wildcard. Can he come off injury and perform at an adequate level? If so it frees Meredith to battle it out with Green at RT. I think Meredith is more suited for the right side.

Any notes about Bell so far this camp?
        They are putting him in slowly so he hasn't really seen much if any live action with the pads on. I don't expect us to get a good feel for where hes at until the 3rd or even last preseason game.

Comment

• ddaryl
          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
          • Jan 2005

I think we really needed a young LT with experience and without it we are just left with questions marks which leads to worry wich leads to fear which leads to hate which is the path to the dark side...

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
            • Jul 2002

What is the situation with Gauthier? Is he still being shopped?

Comment

• psubills62
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
              What is the situation with Gauthier? Is he still being shopped?
              Probably not being shopped. He's actually had some minor injuries lately, though I believe he's back practicing with the team. They might listen to trade offers if the Bills become desperate.

I personally think that the Bills should look into sending one or two players from the secondary (Youboty, Whitner, etc.) to Baltimore. The Ravens just had their best CB go down for the year with an ACL tear, and Ed Reed may not be back for Week 1. They could use players in the secondary and we could really use Gaither.
              "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BillsOwnAll
                Wood, leivitre,bell, merideth,wang...

All young O line talent... I not saying there all going to be great but give them more then a rookie season to prove it.
                lmao- Bell and Meredith in the same sentence as "talent."

It's the same "band-aid on cancer" approach we've been taking with the OL since roughly 2004. It didn't work then and it won't work now.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                  The Voice of Reason
                  • Jul 2007

Well, we didn't trade a first rounder/second rounder for a proven vet LT, we have crappy Guards from low rounds, we didn't snatch up one of the myriad of elite-talent FA o-lineman out there, we didn't address the RT situation in FA and we didn't bring in an elite C via early round of the draft or trade. Therefore, we've done nothing to address the line.
                  Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Prov401
                    President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
                    • Aug 2008

Wang is going to be a bum. I'm calling it now. The guy plays way too high, and I can never see him becoming anywhere close to a dominant LT. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm fairly confident that he's just a backup in this leauge.

Bell showed glimpses last year, and could possibly be a good tackle in the NFL. But we won't know until pre-season play how he's coming along with the injury.

Hangartner is ok.

Wood and Levitre are good, and could become great.

Green/Merideth are serviceable.

Our O-Line is average. But we are an injury away from being poor.
                    Last edited by Prov401; 08-04-2010, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• JCBills
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by OpIv37
                      lmao- Bell and Meredith in the same sentence as "talent."

It's the same "band-aid on cancer" approach we've been taking with the OL since roughly 2004. It didn't work then and it won't work now.
                      Ah yes, because every good player in the history of the league has been good from their first snap as a pro and onward.

Back in reality, both players have obvious raw athleticism and talent, it's a matter of can it be refined?

Comment

• X-Era
                        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by TE2Hard-E81
                        Wang is going to be a bum. I'm calling it now. The guy plays way too high, and I can never see him becoming anywhere close to a dominant LT. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm fairly confident that he's just a backup in this leauge.

Bell showed glimpses last year, and could possibly be a good tackle in the NFL. But we won't know until pre-season play how he's coming along with the injury.

Hangartner is ok.

Wood and Levitre are good, and could become great.

Green/Merideth are serviceable.

Our O-Line is average. But we are an injury away from being poor.
                        I will hold out hope for him but I had him as only the 16th best OT available in this past draft. I had Calloway spots higher at 14th.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by HargroveforMVP
                          Well, we didn't trade a first rounder/second rounder for a proven vet LT, we have crappy Guards from low rounds, we didn't snatch up one of the myriad of elite-talent FA o-lineman out there, we didn't address the RT situation in FA and we didn't bring in an elite C via early round of the draft or trade. Therefore, we've done nothing to address the line.
                          As we all know teams give away proven vet LTs like halloween candy.

PTR
                          10 Commandments of the D
                          1. Never stop Rocking.
                          2. Legalize all drugs.
                          3. Quit your day job.
                          4. All Religion should be taxed.
                          5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
                          6. F**k her gently.
                          7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
                          8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
                          9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
                          10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• feldspar
                            • Mar 2007

Well, who the hell ever thought that Brad Butler was going to retire?

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

Butler retiring hurt more than Schobel being a dick and then released.

I'm OK with what we've done with the o-line the last two seasons, but would be a helluva lot happier if we could have addressed LT in FA or via trade.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X